Remove the fishing mini game

29 minutes ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

The only reason people come to this forum is to complain ha ha.  But yeah, I love fishing... but not this. That is what I have Ultima Online for. Best fishing in any game. 😎

Trueeee. Never played Ultima Online but i played World of wowcraft and the fishing there make me sleepy . I like gw2 make with the mini game thing just because it make you focus rather than waiting for splashing sound something like that

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Rendalmj.3152 said:

Trueeee. Never played Ultima Online but i played World of wowcraft and the fishing there make me sleepy . I like gw2 make with the mini game thing just because it make you focus rather than waiting for splashing sound something like that

I was so looking forward to fishing coming from WoW, as i can just zone out, enjoy the music, scenery and focus on watching the water and hitting a key when needed. The whole purpose was to spend time in the game doing something that didn't require much attention or focus. There's plenty of other kitten you need to focus on in the game.

Here i'm doing the first part the same, then intensely staring at a bar trying to 'catch' it. It's a terrible take on Stardew valleys fishing approach.

My only change request would be if they at least made the slider appear over the bobber so i'm not staring at the bottom 20% of the screen for the entire time.

Edited by rhaize.8762
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Holy cow. If you don't like it, don't fish! Why is this complicated? If you don't like it don't do it. I think it's awesome and I bought some bait and I did a fishing tournament with the skiff and it's a lot of fun. Do something else if you don't think it's worth your time.

• Like 3
  • Confused 7

33 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Holy cow. If you don't like it, don't fish! Why is this complicated? If you don't like it don't do it. I think it's awesome and I bought some bait and I did a fishing tournament with the skiff and it's a lot of fun. Do something else if you don't think it's worth your time.

A little brash - people want to like fishing and only a few are calling for it to be removed, and i also know some people do in it's current form which is why there are suggestions to improve it. I'll carry on fishing, but i think it can be improved.

Can you really say with your heart that you think the placing of the fishing bar is ideal as an example, and the implementation is flawless? I've tried numerous camera angles and in 90% of them i'm staring at the dirt. It detaches the experience away from fishing and becomes a 'stare at the moving bar' minigame.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, rhaize.8762 said:

A little brash - people want to like fishing and only a few are calling for it to be removed, and i also know some people do in it's current form which is why there are suggestions to improve it. I'll carry on fishing, but i think it can be improved.

Can you really say with your heart that you think the placing of the fishing bar is ideal as an example, and the implementation is flawless? I've tried numerous camera angles and in 90% of them i'm staring at the dirt. It detaches the experience away from fishing and becomes a 'stare at the moving bar' minigame.

honestly I wish it was harder. Challenge means improvement, and rewards for improvement are often more meaningful. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

My favorite part of ANY game that has it, is Fishing, I FLIPPING Love fishing in games, I was soo looking forward to this fishing, But In it's current state I don't really like it, Yes I will do it, but I get dizzy easy, It hurts my head, I just wanna cast my line, and reel it in when the fish bites, not stare at the bottom of my screen trying to predict which way a slider is going to slide, while giving myself a headache. I am not saying it should be afk, I don't like afk fishing, but the way it is currently is not great. Just my opinion. who knows maybe it will get better with the masteries. I hope so. (FF14, ESO, and Lost ark did fishing right)

Edited by MysticalGoddess.8637
fixed mistake
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, rhaize.8762 said:

I was so looking forward to fishing coming from WoW, as i can just zone out, enjoy the music, scenery and focus on watching the water and hitting a key when needed. The whole purpose was to spend time in the game doing something that didn't require much attention or focus. There's plenty of other kitten you need to focus on in the game.

Here i'm doing the first part the same, then intensely staring at a bar trying to 'catch' it. It's a terrible take on Stardew valleys fishing approach.

My only change request would be if they at least made the slider appear over the bobber so i'm not staring at the bottom 20% of the screen for the entire time.

very good point. i just realized while i enjoy the fishing but im staring the bars 90% of the time ... 

• Like 2

I'm genuinely surprised that so many people like the mindless fishing in other games. IMO if all you do is push a button to start then wait to push it again to stop you might as well save the hassle and make it a gathering node. I avoid fishing in those games as much as possible.

I will frequently stop to take in the view or to chat with other players or just because I feel like it, but I like doing that as and when I want to and for as long as I want. Not because I'm waiting anxiously so I don't miss the couple of seconds when the game says I'm allowed to collect a resource. When I'm doing an activity I want to be actually doing something, not just standing there waiting for the right moment to push 1 button.

I don't like the green and orange bar, but only because it doesn't look like it's anything to do with fishing. I'd have prefered it if you were watching a fish in the water and moving the rod to reel it in, or at least if the thing you're chasing looked like a fish icon instead of a green blob. But I like the actions - the fact that you're doing something to catch the fish.

(On a semi-related note I wonder if this is why they've never implemented housing. A lot of players have asked for it but everyone seems to have different ideas about what that means and what it needs to count as housing, so they can't make a system without annoying a lot of the people who asked for it because it won't be the version they wanted.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, radicalace.7528 said:

I'm genuinely having trouble with the fishing in Ascalon... it's much more unforgiving than Cantha

I'm wondering if this is a bug.  Even with a mackerel for +150 power and a wooden lure for another +50 on top of that, all my fishing in Ascalon had horizontal bars far longer than in Cantha, my bubble was tiny, barely the size of the fish bubble, and the fish darted left and right at high speed a lot faster than my bubble could move.  I didn't catch my first fish until a couple of curious charr showed up and I grouped with them to let them see my skiff up close.  Possibly having passengers really does help?  I did manage to catch the other three for the daily but it took far longer than catching four fish in Cantha would have.  I had to resort to not chasing the fish, just waiting for it to get to me and then trying to match its movement for long enough to progress the catch.

11 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

No. AFK fishing is one of the worst things to ever plague MMOs and if a games going to implement it that way I'd rather it was never added at all. Archeage ocean fishing was the first one to do it right and this version is pretty close to that style. 

Counterpoint: Warframe.  Though I recognize not all games are set up in a way for spearfishing to work, or work well.

• When I saw there was going to be fishing, I was so excited. In the mmos I've played fishing has been pretty chill and relaxing. However, I was not expecting to play a pong-like game. I was more stressed and annoyed than anything else. My experience with different types of fishing have been:

- WoW/ESO: sit and wait till it bobs

- Warframe use spear, hit the moving target of different sizes and sometimes click again in highlighted area of bar

- New World: wait till bite, reel in till high tension (hold one key) , give slack (release key), repeat till fish caught

My experience with GW2:
Cast, wait, start minigame, go back forth back forth back forth back forth trying to keep bar in your bar as the meter fills up, eventually catch fish OR fish got away.

I don't want it removed. I want it to be what they said it was in their trailer. "Time to kick back and relax". 

Edited by Arictheana.5906
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, radicalace.7528 said:

I'm genuinely having trouble with the fishing in Ascalon... it's much more unforgiving than Cantha

I think, but am not sure, it's because your fishing ability SCALES down in lower zones.  So far, I think fishing is just ok -- it has a certain alLURE, but I don't like staring at that bouncing bar and sometimes I FLOUNDER around.  However, I await improvements with BAITed breath.

• Haha 4

I'm on the exact opposite here.
I was about to make a few suggestions how we could turn the utterly dull resource gathering into fun and potentially more profitable side activities, by allowing us to bring in player action, in order to spend more time on one node, but also extract more resources.
Heck, you could even go as far and make it optional: Learn, switch or equip a certain something, that turns the mining, logging or gathering into a similar mini game as fishing.

I find the fishing to be EXTREMELY chill and amazing. It's so cool to be able to just take a rest somewhere and do something in game after a day of Meta events and focused gameplay, that is different from everything else, but still gives you some kind of profit or progress in the game itself. I want more of this to be honest.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

honestly I wish it was harder. Challenge means improvement, and rewards for improvement are often more meaningful. 

Good news go try fish in core tyria starter maps mate.

Fishing holes need 400 power and you will be nerfed down to like under tripple digit power.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Good news go try fish in core tyria starter maps mate.

Fishing holes need 400 power and you will be nerfed down to like under tripple digit power.

That's awesome. Looking forward to the challenge when I get my masteries unlocked for it.

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

At first, I really didn't like the fishing mini-game.  Now that I have fished a bit more it is doable and am starting to warm up to it.  I only have the first mastery in fishing but have discovered bait and lures tend to make fishing a bit better.  Nice that a lure gives a 1 hour buff.

Having spent a good deal of time in the past fishing in the real world, the game does illustrate how frustrating fishing can be.  I view the mini-game slider bar as a decent representation of the time spent in fishing dealing with Snagged lines, Line breaks, Spit out hooks and Broken Tackle.   Remember Bass Masters are pros and make it look way easier than it really is.

I would like to be able to change the color of the bobber to something more visible.  In real fishing, bobber colors run from red to white, orange, yellow, chartreuse and more.  Just make color selection so the color impaired folks can pick a brighter color as well.

• Like 2