unpopuliar opinion : EOD is the worst Expac so far

30 minutes ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

Riding the nostalgia of GW1 for GW2 xpack is a terrible foundation [...]

I hate to repeat myself, but there is nothing (except some minor stuff in Echovald) that can be considered "riding the nostalgia train."

Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons has nothing in common with Guild Wars: Factions. See my previous responses.

Edit: Post #1, Post #2

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, StarPT.7431 said:

Saving Soo-Won would be a major asspull with probably heavy consequences around the world...Kill her was the right thing to do.

Was it, was it really now?

Alright. Where do you draw the line? When does it stop being acceptable for a hero to butcher instead of saving those in need? Where does your empathy kick in that you'd feel bothered by an unnecessary death?

If Rytlock and Crecia were mind-controlled, would we put them down in cold blood without care or conscience? What about Marjory and Cass? Caithe and Aurene? Where do you draw the line? Where's the line in the sand, for you?

Worst of all, to say we should kill because we don't want ot deal with the consequences is, quite frakly, the most evil and cowardly of reasons. Especially if the consequences are that the writers wouldn't have to be lazy and that they'd actually have to deal with continuity for a change. I mean, that's a bit of a jab but any loremaster here will know exactlywhat I'm talking about. ArenaNet has to be one of the worst developers when it comes to continuity, they're the Marvel Comics of video games.

I like continuity. It was supposed to be that the willy-nilly butchering of dragons would be bad for the world. This lead to retcons, atop retcons, layered with retcons, sprinkled with further retcons. It's dizzying, honestly. I don't expect WoW to have great continuity because it never held itself up to an especially high standard, but ArenaNet did... originally.

Why would it be an "asspull" to save someone for a change? To spare a life? To rescue someone instead of just killing everyone because that's easy? I'm so, so tired of fantasy stories relying on murder for the laziest of lazy writing because, hey, when they're dead you don't have to worry about continuity! I'd have loved to see Soo-Won around in the story more. I'd loved to have rescued the other EDs too so that they could be recurring characters. The story needn't be focused around them anymore, but they could've been around.

It's just lazy. It doesn't give me any confidence in the story when your no. 1 way to deal with things is the most lazy way to do so, and from an in-Universe perspective? The most psychopathic. I mean, if it were my Commander? They would've put their foot down and demanded that the geniuses come up with some way to cleanse Soo-Won of the Dragonvoid, they would've pulled everyone together to keep Soo-Won distracted for as long as it took.

I mean, what if in a superhero comic book a bunch of civilians were mind-controlled and the hero up and murdered everyone? Is that acceptable? If it's not, then the death of Soo-Won isn't either.

I'm tired of the glorification of psychopathy. I'm tired of playing psychopathic characters. As a hero, I want to save people for a change, instead of butchering them.

But apparently empathy is an "asspull," it's better to make excuses for lazy writing. Whuuf.

2 hours ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

End of dragons feels... spineless.

Yeah, that about sums it up. Spineless. They could've had the bravery to accept the long-term consequences of letting a character live, but they chose the craven, lazy, easy route of killing anyone they don't want to have to deal with later.

Edited by Hypnowulf.7403
Fixed a typo.
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I hate to repeat myself, but there is nothing (except some minor stuff in Echovald) that can be considered "riding the nostalgia train."

Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons has nothing in common with Guild Wars: Factions. See my previous responses.

I dunno, entire expansion feels like anet just wanted to showcase what cantha would look like in gw2 engine and any gameplay was a complete afterthought

• Like 3

On 3/20/2022 at 4:44 AM, Freya.9075 said:

I do see it from your perspective. And I do understand why you want it. But ppl who like pvp have their places to do so. If you add pvp to pve where do we have our place to not having to deal with pvp when we don’t want to? Sure we have instances but many pve players don’t do that content either cause of interests or feeling it’s toxic as well. What do you propose as a change for pve players that don’t want to see this in their game mode if they do add pvp in open world? 

it's ok keep assuming most people who play pvp is toxic and open world people aren't like ever toxic

• Confused 4

6 minutes ago, scarlettmoonbabe.6932 said:

it's ok keep assuming most people who play pvp is toxic and open world people aren't like ever toxic

I’m not assuming anything. I know there are nice pvp players that’s not what I’m saying. I said the same about instance pve which also have toxic players. Even open world have random trolls and toxic players. What I’m saying is to not add more toxic behavior. Competitive gameplay automatically have more toxic behaviors. That is natural and nothing is wrong about that, I just don’t want to see it more then it already is. Which is rare. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Is this comment serious?

Expansion dont have anything to do with GW1? Like all the 4 maps are gw1 maps, siege turtle is gw1, luxon/kurzick references and gang wars are gw1, nika, house zu heltzer are gw1, Purist are gw1... theres so many things related to gw1, even tho of course things have changed and stuff.

The xpac was also sold as a purely gw1 nostalgia too. So i cant take this comment seriously tbh, its like being blind.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

11 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Is this comment serious?

Expansion dont have anything to do with GW1? Like all the 4 maps are gw1 maps, siege turtle is gw1, luxon/kurzick references and gang wars are gw1, nika, house zu heltzer are gw1, Purist are gw1... theres so many things related to gw1, even tho of course things have changed and stuff.

The xpac was also sold as a purely gw1 nostalgia too. So i cant take this comment seriously tbh, its like being blind.

Since you didn't care to read my previous comments, which I had generously linked for your convenience, you don't deserve a response other than: Is your comment serious?

There you go, once more -- and this time read them:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

19 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Since you didn't care to read my previous comments, which I generously linked for your convenience, you don't deserve a response other than: Is your comment serious?

I read your Post 1 & 2. And i still have the same opinion, i can agree with you that gw1/gw2 are different games, sure. But that doesnt mean that gw2 is not hard made by gw1 nostalgia and references. As ive said the whole expansion is a gw1 continent, The purist, siege turtle, nps, locations and x100 of things are gw1 stuff. Obiusly the story is different and maps has evolved, but its still gw1 related and nostalgia.

I can even say LWS6 is also gonna be gw1 related/nostalgia, with more gw1 maps and side quest of gw1 npcs/storys. PoF is not related also with nightfall you said, i cant stop seeing stuff about koss, talkora, Yoko, Balthazar and x1000 gw1 stuff (aswell as the maps)

So in conclusion GW2 is 90% based on gw1 and use nostalgia to sell stuff and to deliver quite some content, even tho things have changed.

PD: And i dont think anyone can say this is false.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

So in conclusion GW2 is 90% based on gw1 and use nostalgia to sell stuff and to deliver quite some content, even tho things have changed.

idk... never played gw1 myself, and after probably 100+ hrs in eod, i dont really know/care who luxon/kurzick/purit/jade bro are.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/20/2022 at 6:00 AM, Laken.9018 said:

This is pretty much my feeling. I started to find myself hating EOD and I realised it was because was forcing myself to do the content as needed to justify the purchase.

And this is where I am too.  I found myself dreading playing the EoD maps and doing the story, and I thought, "Why the heck am I torturing myself?"  I've gone back to the HoT and PoF content I love, working on some Gen 1 and 2 legendary weapons, and so forth.

I hope in a few months most of the EoD bugs have been fixed and the quality of loot/rewards is VASTLY improved.

• Like 5

LOL I'm so confused. Is this thread about the new expac, open-world pvp/dueling, GW1-GW2 lore continuity...? I might as well add why I think the beetle mount is better than the skimmer (I don't have any opinion on that btw, just thought it might spur yet another random argument that's unrelated to the original topic). My apologies to the OP.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

IMO they have ran out of ideas, Arborstone  and it's mastery line is a perfect example, it's a hub area most people don't care for, only reason to max it so you can get Antique Summoning Stone, it's a poor man's hub, unlike Eye of the North which you have to spend gold to pimp out, they are circling the drain with some of the ideas...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Since you didn't care to read my previous comments, which I had generously linked for your convenience, you don't deserve a response other than: Is your comment serious?

There you go, once more -- and this time read them:

It has everything to do with gw1 world, zones, story, characters etc. Care you explain your thought process on why is it not nostalgic? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, figloalds.1274 said:

How is this "unpopular"? 

EoD is very bad compared to Hot and PoF

Let me get this straight, you think an expansion where EVERYTHING (zone progression, story progression, raid progression) is gated behind the masteries (HoT) you can only get experience towards in 4 maps (if you don't have the LS chapters), is better than an expansion where no zone or story progression is gated behind the masteries (EoD)?

Edited by RyuDragnier.9476
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Peterson.5172 said:

idk... never played gw1 myself, and after probably 100+ hrs in eod, i dont really know/care who luxon/kurzick/purit/jade bro are.

Well if you did, you would know Kunnavang (Navan), that is also a main character in Factions (they also tell you what happened to her). You would know the ministry of Purity (Minister Li, strikes etc). You would know the events related to Kurzick/Luxons (gang wars too), house zu heltzer etc (there are even some jumping puzzle about it). You would know about the side quest of Zunraa, Nika... the siege turtle that was the main weapon of the luxon, the only difference is that it had cannons, and now those cannons are jade. And so many things im forgetting... well also the whole continent/maps are basically Cantha gw1.

Same goes for PoF, the six gods, balthazar, kormir, Koss, Sunspear, Talkora, Djins (the hidden city), Palawa Joko, Turai Ossa, the primeval kings, Dhuum... you also dont know about them?

I understand if you didnt play gw1, but if you did you will see constantly references and gw1 stuff, and obiusly the maps/continent which are the  same (with changes in 250 years), and they are sold like pure nostalgia.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

I read your Post 1 & 2. And i still have the same opinion, i can agree with you that gw1/gw2 are different games, sure. But that doesnt mean that gw2 is not hard made by gw1 nostalgia and references. As ive said the whole expansion is a gw1 continent, The purist, siege turtle, nps, locations and x100 of things are gw1 stuff. Obiusly the story is different and maps has evolved, but its still gw1 related and nostalgia.

I can even say LWS6 is also gonna be gw1 related/nostalgia, with more gw1 maps and side quest of gw1 npcs/storys. PoF is not related also with nightfall you said, i cant stop seeing stuff about koss, talkora, Yoko, Balthazar and x1000 gw1 stuff (aswell as the maps)

I did not feel nostaligia in either the core campaign, HoT or PoF*, and in EoD neither. So your theory must be faulty somewhere.

GW2 only has had names of people (or people themselves, like the ghost of Gwen) and locations related to GW1 re-appear in the game. That is not enough to trigger nostalgia, when the contents are completely different and nothing even remotely feels like GW1.

Nostalgia is a feeling that is based on something unchanged or memories of a certain state of something. You can't sell nostalgia when everything has changed -- it simply doesn't work.

*) The only other occasion, apart from the Kurzick cemetery in EoD, where I did feel nostalgia was the story mission in Kormir's Library, when the scene of our heroic battle at the end of Nightfall was replayed before our eyes. One moment out of 9.5 years of GW2.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

I’m not assuming anything. I know there are nice pvp players that’s not what I’m saying. I said the same about instance pve which also have toxic players. Even open world have random trolls and toxic players. What I’m saying is to not add more toxic behavior. Competitive gameplay automatically have more toxic behaviors. That is natural and nothing is wrong about that, I just don’t want to see it more then it already is. Which is rare. 

i guess. do races and fishing tournament breed toxicity? xD or many of the holiday events for that matter. or costume brawl, or snowball fights? whats the difference?

Edited by scarlettmoonbabe.6932

5 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

LOL I'm so confused. Is this thread about the new expac, open-world pvp/dueling, GW1-GW2 lore continuity...? I might as well add why I think the beetle mount is better than the skimmer (I don't have any opinion on that btw, just thought it might spur yet another random argument that's unrelated to the original topic). My apologies to the OP.

beetle is better imo, for sheer fun factor. same with griffon > skyscale. the fun factor

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nemesis.2019 said:

IMO they have ran out of ideas, Arborstone  and it's mastery line is a perfect example, it's a hub area most people don't care for, only reason to max it so you can get Antique Summoning Stone, it's a poor man's hub, unlike Eye of the North which you have to spend gold to pimp out, they are circling the drain with some of the ideas...

Nah. I think Arborstone is their way of giving the people that wanted an Echovald guild hall a chance to have somekind of hub to chill out in that highlights what people love about Echovald. 

Arborstone in itself and the masteries are dull, but the ability to now use this as a story start off point in future releases is great. It also COULD be expanded if they really wanted to. It's something they can keep updating and making changes to.

Not that they will because they have a bad habit of scrapping things that could be reusable or expanded on, but I think they had a pretty solid idea with this one. 

57 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

Nah. I think Arborstone is their way of giving the people that wanted an Echovald guild hall a chance to have somekind of hub to chill out in that highlights what people love about Echovald. 

Arborstone in itself and the masteries are dull, but the ability to now use this as a story start off point in future releases is great. It also COULD be expanded if they really wanted to. It's something they can keep updating and making changes to.

Not that they will because they have a bad habit of scrapping things that could be reusable or expanded on, but I think they had a pretty solid idea with this one. 

I just hope they expand on Club Canach.

6 hours ago, Nemesis.2019 said:

I took one look at what I’d have to spend to upgrade EotN and said, “No way,” and went back to using my lounge pass.

At least Arborstone has the resting  buff. Though that’ll only be useful as long as I have masteries to level.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scarlettmoonbabe.6932 said:

i guess. do races and fishing tournament breed toxicity? xD or many of the holiday events for that matter. or costume brawl, or snowball fights? whats the difference?

If you don’t see the difference, it’s no point for me to keep explaining and get my points across to you. You’ve kept avoiding my questions and ignoring things I’ve said, so it’s clear to me you don’t truly want to understand as you first claimed. 

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 10:52 AM, BadSanta.6527 said:

iknow alot you guys love the expanstion , im glad you do! . i really hope it will grow in me as well but so far i dont like the expac so much , dont get me worng the mapls looks amazing and fishing is quit nice , even untame grew in me. but so far the expac dosent makes me want to play it more , just to finsh the story and dont touch it .... the events really meha!! alot of them , what happend to the amazing dynamic world? also keining citiy is really not nice envirument to play in my opinion, jade bots dont like them.... 

really want to love the expac becouse ilove the game , and i always will stay fan, but compere to hot when the maps where so intanse and fun , what fun event ( before mobs nerf it was amazing in  my opinon) ,even pof i loved the mounts fun to explore with them ( although even pof mets where meh , but bounty hunting was nice and some events where amazing)

iam no hater just had to get it off my chest =(

out of the 3 i HATE HATE HATE HoT. EoD is enjoyable but its more the visuals for me then the actual questing.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Anirri.4156 said:

out of the 3 i HATE HATE HATE HoT. EoD is enjoyable but its more the visuals for me then the actual questing.

6 hours ago, RyuDragnier.9476 said:

Let me get this straight, you think an expansion where EVERYTHING (zone progression, story progression, raid progression) is gated behind the masteries (HoT) you can only get experience towards in 4 maps (if you don't have the LS chapters), is better than an expansion where no zone or story progression is gated behind the masteries (EoD)?

I agree with you both!  HoT masteries were required for HoT, but useless elsewhere.  EoD is more fun than I have had ingame in a long time! Beautiful scenery, fun story, great explorations. 😎

• Like 1
  • Confused 2