unpopuliar opinion : EOD is the worst Expac so far

iknow alot you guys love the expanstion , im glad you do! . i really hope it will grow in me as well but so far i dont like the expac so much , dont get me worng the mapls looks amazing and fishing is quit nice , even untame grew in me. but so far the expac dosent makes me want to play it more , just to finsh the story and dont touch it .... the events really meha!! alot of them , what happend to the amazing dynamic world? also keining citiy is really not nice envirument to play in my opinion, jade bots dont like them.... 

really want to love the expac becouse ilove the game , and i always will stay fan, but compere to hot when the maps where so intanse and fun , what fun event ( before mobs nerf it was amazing in  my opinon) ,even pof i loved the mounts fun to explore with them ( although even pof mets where meh , but bounty hunting was nice and some events where amazing)

iam no hater just had to get it off my chest =(

• Like 36
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, BadSanta.6527 said:

iknow alot you guys love the expanstion , im glad you do! . i really hope it will grow in me as well but so far i dont like the expac so much , dont get me worng the mapls looks amazing and fishing is quit nice , even untame grew in me. but so far the expac dosent makes me want to play it more , just to finsh the story and dont touch it .... the events really meha!! alot of them , what happend to the amazing dynamic world? also keining citiy is really not nice envirument to play in my opinion, jade bots dont like them.... 

really want to love the expac becouse ilove the game , and i always will stay fan, but compere to hot when the maps where so intanse and fun , what fun event ( before mobs nerf it was amazing in  my opinon) ,even pof i loved the mounts fun to explore with them ( although even pof mets where meh , but bounty hunting was nice and some events where amazing)

iam no hater just had to get it off my chest =(

why not make a poll, then let's see how forum people really feel

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Peterson.5172 said:

why not make a poll

And in fact, someone has.

*Disclaimer: Said poll represents only people who actively check the forum, actively browse the EoD section, & actively participate in polls. Numbers do not accurately reflect the forum or game population as a whole and may include alternate accounts, but are nevertheless indicative that the OP's opinion may not be as unpopular as initially deduced - at least here.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

And in fact, someone has.

*Disclaimer: Said poll represents only people who actively check the forum, actively browse the EoD section, & actively participate in polls. Numbers do not accurately reflect the forum or game population as a whole and may include alternate accounts, but are nevertheless indicative that the OP's opinion may not be as unpopular as initially deduced - at least here.

7 minutes ago, decease.3215 said:

You are wrong!!!  it is common knowledge that EOD is the worst expansion.  There is already a poll that prove it.

fair enough, i never look past the 5th post, never saw it

although the way it's worded is so biased...

Edited by Peterson.5172
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

58 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Fun is subjective.  I hate HoT maps.  They are not fun for me.  While I agree with some of the points you made, especially with regards to the less-than-dynamic world, I am finding much more enjoyment with EoD than I ever have with HoT.

really glad for you , for me hot was the best expirance 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

It is by far the expac that has least gained my interest. I had to go to Bjora yesterday just to do… something. And find other people. EoD feels lifeless.

It isn’t an inherently bad expansion, it’s just lacking. It needs more open world love - bounties, adventures, races, griffon challenges etc. I’m failing to see nearly two years of development here compared to what HoT and PoF delivered. PoF really had that authentic World feel with lots of variety for the roamer. It just lacked the replayability. HoT - whilst not for everyone - achieved what it set out to do in open world perfectly.

Skiffs are fantastic, fishing is fine. Jade bots feel over thought in terms of crafting etc, but they have decent utility. Turtle I am months from getting, but it’s prob fine.

The maps are beautiful, but the colours are a bit weird, esp when you look at PoF which I think think has the most organic feel and design to its maps (Vabbi aside)

So yes, the weakest for me, but not necessarily bad. Just needs more. Four maps - two of which are empty so far - was never going to cut it. Then again, less GW2 time is beneficial to me right now, so it is doing me a favour!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

It is by far the expac that has least gained my interest. I had to go to Bjora yesterday just to do… something. And find other people. EoD feels lifeless.

It isn’t an inherently bad expansion, it’s just lacking. It needs more open world love - bounties, adventures, races, griffon challenges etc. I’m failing to see nearly two years of development here compared to what HoT and PoF delivered. PoF really had that authentic World feel with lots of variety for the roamer. It just lacked the replayability. HoT - whilst not for everyone - achieved what it set out to do in open world perfectly.

Skiffs are fantastic, fishing is fine. Jade bots feel over thought in terms of crafting etc, but they have decent utility. Turtle I am months from getting, but it’s prob fine.

The maps are beautiful, but the colours are a bit weird, esp when you look at PoF which I think think has the most organic feel and design to its maps (Vabbi aside)

So yes, the weakest for me, but not necessarily bad. Just needs more. Four maps - two of which are empty so far - was never going to cut it. Then again, less GW2 time is beneficial to me right now, so it is doing me a favour!

It's lifeless because people are filtered into a few places grinding the DE events and the strikes to get their stats and turtle. 

All of the game modes are going to have to come together at some point though or they'll all die alone. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, kash.9213 said:

It's lifeless because people are filtered into a few places grinding the DE events and the strikes to get their stats and turtle. 

All of the game modes are going to have to come together at some point though or they'll all die alone. 

Whilst I agree to an extent, I feel it is a combination of a lack of depth to the maps and a lack of rewards. In some ways I’d argue there’s more event variety in core maps than in Kaineng. And a living world map - whilst smaller - usually has a lot more packed into it for all types of player.

Shing Jea just about gets away with it, although a low population is a poor welcome. Kaineng has huge amounts of wasted potential. Why stack a city high and not use the verticality in a positive way? Look at that big Jade crystal at the start of the map as a snapshot example. I got my skyscale to the top of there and the central building only to find nothing. That’s the perfect place to put a griffon challenge. Even Kainengs meta is just bland and dull. The boss is a stunning piece of animation, but the lead in is just uninspired.

Im only as far as Arborstone and I’m bored in open world. I’ve never been bored in open world in 10 years. I haven’t always liked every map, but there’s always felt like loads to do and experience - I was never bored of core maps even leading into HoT. I feel like I’m forcing myself to play these maps because that’s what I’ve always done, not because a reason exists or that they are fun to do so.

If that makes sense 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Whilst I agree to an extent, I feel it is a combination of a lack of depth to the maps and a lack of rewards. In some ways I’d argue there’s more event variety in core maps than in Kaineng. And a living world map - whilst smaller - usually has a lot more packed into it for all types of player.

Shing Jea just about gets away with it, although a low population is a poor welcome. Kaineng has huge amounts of wasted potential. Why stack a city high and not use the verticality in a positive way? Look at that big Jade crystal at the start of the map as a snapshot example. I got my skyscale to the top of there and the central building only to find nothing. That’s the perfect place to put a griffon challenge. Even Kainengs meta is just bland and dull. The boss is a stunning piece of animation, but the lead in is just uninspired.

Im only as far as Arborstone and I’m bored in open world. I’ve never been bored in open world in 10 years. I haven’t always liked every map, but there’s always felt like loads to do and experience - I was never bored of core maps even leading into HoT. I feel like I’m forcing myself to play these maps because that’s what I’ve always done, not because a reason exists or that they are fun to do so.

If that makes sense 

What you described is why I've been a broken record about wanting WvW to change into flagged open world pvp for years. WvW is totally cut off even aesthetically from the rest of the game and there's vast areas and lengths of unused map space. There's nothing lived in or active about those maps and when prime time slows down you really feel the emptiness and lack of energy. 

Kaineng would have been a great map for an Away-from-Home instance to grab Home instance stuff real quick (not like a lot is done with those or guild halls anyway as far as the rest of the game in concerned any). Kaineng would have also been a better new hub area over Arborstone. Imagine a lively player filled urban setting with shops being used and activity at least in a portion of the city. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Said poll represents only people who actively check the forum, actively browse the EoD section, & actively participate in polls.

Is that actually true, though? I came to the forums because the story left me kind of distraught and upset, as they pulled the same nonsense again. I wanted to know what kind of unempathetic sorts tehy were trying to appeal to with this, and if anyone felt the same way.

EoD kind of feels like a social experiment, it's bizarre. "Okay, let's make the most benevolent and kind character we can. She's loving, empathetic, caring, and she created the world. She genuinely cares for everyone on it. Now, let's see how many people think that possession is a reason for slaughtering her, rather than demanding the chance to cure her of her affliction instead.

"How many are going to boast and celebrate her downfall... Oh. Oh! That many? Really?? Well..."

I'm a true empath so psychopathic things happening in a story can bother me a lot, especially if I have some kind of connection with it—like a playable character. I mean, I've mentioned this before but... We have so many geniuses on-site, is it really that unreasonable to think that they couldn't come up with some thaumobabble and Deus Ex Magicka to reconfigure the extractor to kick the Void out?

That's what I would've gone with. I would've done something a little bit more brave and interesting.

Here's how I would've handled it, if it were me: We rescue Soo-Won from her affliction and cast out the Void. With the help of her and Aurene, we build new bodies for the ghosts of her children, purify them, and restore them. This leads to a shift in Guild Wars 2, setting up for future content.

You have to roll a new character, as sort of a NG+. Your old characters are still accessible, but they're now restricted to the old world. A new zone makes for the starting grounds for all new characters with the player as a private of the New Pact, this allows for new races to be added to the game. Instead of Cantha having the new starting area with the tutorials, it's here. Players can choose to start in the old story, or the new one. The new one having access to new races and the like. Since there's been a time jump, you could bring in any number of new races.

The notion is is that the Elder Dragons have been restored. A part of character creation is that you can choose to represent one of them, including Aurene, or maybe none if you don't want those particular trees I guess? The new zone is in the Mists. And we're tehre, backed up by the power of the dragons, to confront the Void (or Dragonvoid, if you prefer, or even Torment). This takes things to an entirely new stage, one far larger than Tyria. It opens the devs up to being able to create abstract zones with strange aesthetics and odd physics, unbound by GW1 or even prior GW2 zones.

By having everyone start as a private of the new pact in Arc 2 of the story—as I said, you could bring on all kinds of new races over time. Skritt, tengu, dredge, or whatever else you might think of. And the New Pact is a taskforce for dealing with the Void in the Mists, with an ED lending you their power as they stay to be the vanguard against the Dragonvoid back on Tyria.

We could finally find out where those mushrooms from the Jahai Bluffs came from, and have even more fun with that. Like I said, it'd be something very, very different. Like WoW's Outlands, but more.

This is a very alt-y game, so I don't think people would've objected to having to roll a new character to join the New Pact in their Mist missions, either. It'd have a new cutscene and everything, and provide some overall new mechanics. It'd be fun. With a game this old, that's what I would've done and really pushed the paradigm as far as I could, to see what can really be done with GW2 and its engine.

That's just me, though. I mean, this idea may not even be very appealing to any of you. It would've just rocked for me, though. I would've loved to see all of the dragons returned to life (even Glint and Vlast), with all wrongs righted, everything put back, and the suffering undone. Plus, it'd give us more to do with all of these dragon aesthetics we have.

It'd be neat too in that it'd move the story away from the dragons being the focus (as antagonists) to something completely new without having to end everything on constantly sour, bitter, horrible notes.

Shrug. Just my two pence anyway. That's the GW2 expansion I would've hoped for. A small part set in Cantha just to handle the story of kicking the Void out of Soo-Won and bringing back her kids (which would make her so happy, and I'd like that), then rolling a new character for the real content in the Mists! But hey, maybe this isn't an idea that would appeal to anyone but me.

Maybe GW2 was never for me. I'd be okay with that if the story hadn't actually ended up hurting me so much by lacking empathy to such a profound degree.

Edit: I just thought aswell that it'd be fun if the New Pact were kinda-sorta-but-not-entirely Ghostbusters in a sense. Essentially, players get a purification mechanic to kick the Dragonvoid out of creatures it's afflicted, weakening it.

So instead of killing everything in sight, we weaken creatures then do the equivalent of a finisher to just punt the Dragonvoid out and save whatever it had afflicted. Which would feel more heroic to me than just murdering everything. But again... Just me.

It'd be fun to have an abstract like that as a foe, just continually acting to weaken it until we can go for a big confrontation backed up by the EDs.

Edited by Hypnowulf.7403
I wanted to add a few thoughts to the end, in a clearly indicated section for them.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kash.9213 said:

What you described is why I've been a broken record about wanting WvW to change into flagged open world pvp for years. WvW is totally cut off even aesthetically from the rest of the game and there's vast areas and lengths of unused map space. There's nothing lived in or active about those maps and when prime time slows down you really feel the emptiness and lack of energy. 

Kaineng would have been a great map for an Away-from-Home instance to grab Home instance stuff real quick (not like a lot is done with those or guild halls anyway as far as the rest of the game in concerned any). Kaineng would have also been a better new hub area over Arborstone. Imagine a lively player filled urban setting with shops being used and activity at least in a portion of the city. 

Merging wvw into the main open world would kill GW2 stone dead. I doubt enough players would remain for the game to exist long term if they started bringing such pvp elements into open world maps. This isn’t the right game for that.

However, taking a map like Kaineng and duplicating it into the mist realm might work as maybe similar to edge of the mists. That would potentially give a best of both worlds.

I do agree Kaineng as a hub - a cross between Divintys Reach in terms of scale/atmosphere and Amnoon in terms of having content, events etc - had potential.

Arborstone is a gorgeous piece of gothic architecture and wowed me when I entered. As a hub.. well I’m not sure yet. I’ll give it more time before I judge that fully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Merging wvw into the main open world would kill GW2 stone dead. I doubt enough players would remain for the game to exist long term if they started bringing such pvp elements into open world maps. This isn’t the right game for that.

However, taking a map like Kaineng and duplicating it into the mist realm might work as maybe similar to edge of the mists. That would potentially give a best of both worlds.

I do agree Kaineng as a hub - a cross between Divintys Reach in terms of scale/atmosphere and Amnoon in terms of having content, events etc - had potential.

Arborstone is a gorgeous piece of gothic architecture and wowed me when I entered. As a hub.. well I’m not sure yet. I’ll give it more time before I judge that fully.

Complain about a stone dead GW2 then claim something that would be active would kill it. That doesn't make sense. I also said flagged open world pvp, no one would have to take part in it, but it would fill the maps and get people together and, possibly move events a lot more. This is the game for that. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 9

Just now, kash.9213 said:

Complain about a stone dead GW2 then claim something that would be active would kill it. That doesn't make sense. I also said flagged open world pvp, no one would have to take part in it, but it would fill the maps and get people together and, possibly move events a lot more. This is the game for that. 

Borked premise.  This game has absolutely no problem filling maps for PvE events and filling maps with players engaging in open world PvP would be as useful as taxiing for the meta into a map with an HP train going.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, kash.9213 said:

The push back against it would be enormous. The negativity over the DE meta would be a tiny drop in the ocean compared to if they brought pvp into open world - flagged or not. There’s been a lot of discussion on this over the years and it’s been overwhelmingly rejected by so many - it’s the one thing that seems to unite the community in being against in a large enough majority to be noticeable. 

Flagged or not, bringing pvp/wvw outside of the mists would be a colossal mistake for the game. Open world is about cooperative play. Once you start bringing in strong competitive elements to a cooperative world, optional or not it will change the nature and flavour of the game. Imagine a meta trying to fill whilst players are fighting each other and ignoring the events whilst some need it. It would get messy and toxic from all sides quick. That’s not what anyone - Anet or players - likel,y want going on. It’s not in the spirit of this game’s open world

There are also technical issues in how GW2 recognises flagged teams in pve areas. It’s apparently not possible or at least very difficult to make pve areas have different player flags according to early dev statements

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, BadSanta.6527 said:

really glad for you , for me hot was the best expirance 

Having different expansions for different preferences is what I enjoy about GW2.  I don't have to do HoT and I'm glad!  To be fair, I do believe that HoT has some of the best maps and design of anything in GW2.  It's just not for me.  I'm glad that Anet offers other expansion content to meet a varied interest.  If PoF and EoD were like HoT, I would probably have not bought either expansion.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

The push back against it would be enormous. The negativity over the DE meta would be a tiny drop in the ocean compared to if they brought pvp into open world - flagged or not. There’s been a lot of discussion on this over the years and it’s been overwhelmingly rejected by so many - it’s the one thing that seems to unite the community in being against in a large enough majority to be noticeable. 

Flagged or not, bringing pvp/wvw outside of the mists would be a colossal mistake for the game. Open world is about cooperative play. Once you start bringing in strong competitive elements to a cooperative world, optional or not it will change the nature and flavour of the game. Imagine a meta trying to fill whilst players are fighting each other and ignoring the events whilst some need it. It would get messy and toxic from all sides quick. That’s not what anyone - Anet or players - likel,y want going on. It’s not in the spirit of this game’s open world

There are also technical issues in how GW2 recognises flagged teams in pve areas. It’s apparently not possible or at least very difficult to make pve areas have different player flags according to early dev statements

the solution is pvp not being available during metas, or certain zones like dragons end or dragonstand. and it is entirely possible for them to do, but probably not worth the effort of coding something that will not make them money. i would personally enjoy it, but it will probably never happen. i like how elder scrolls online lets you challenge other players to duels in open world. it could be something like that instead as well and i would do that all the time. lots of great places around where dueling would be fun af

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

If that makes sense 

I think you make good points. I was thinking about EoD and thinking back to HoT and PoF. HoT was the 1st expac and was popular for many reasons. PoF was less popular maybe than HoT but it was popular and felt more populated than EoD to me. All the EoD maps have felt empty to me when I play. I was thinking PoF seemed to have a hard meta too (serpents Ire) it was very doable w 4 tags etc, but similarly it took more organization than other OW events and had 4 mobs each w a timed cc check, etc. The other maps had issues w meta events that still persist. That said, pof seemed more fun to me. I think part of that was mounts were new, but I think a bigger part of what made it seem active and fun was simple things like Casino event in Amnoon, Bounty boards, and races. What I mean is Casino, Pinata, Choya stampede made it feel like you could hang around town and still have fun. Bounties gave tags something to focus on people could hot join and leave at will. Races and collecting mounts in each map gave people goals to progress toward as they learned a little about each map. EoD seems to just expect everyone to hunt around and find things to do on each map which is fine, but people get spread out and board then they move to other parts of the game that seem more fullfilling, maybe without even finding anything of value in EoD because its not fun to just hang out in EoD cause all the maps feel empty and all the events take many players.

So far I just feel all alone in EoD and most of the time I dont have hours to find a good DE instance + 2 hours to do the instance (3+hours for meta) so I have only tried it twice and not sure when I will have time to try it again when its rewards suck and it mostly fails.

I think EoD is suffering from a lack of fun events and things like Choya Pinata which have a very low chance at dropping 10k item + gives currency to buy silly, but cool things like the kites. Those kinda simple things I think would have made EoD work.

Fishing maybe was supposed to be that casual fun?? Not sure just a thought. My impression of fishing so far is its tedious and has crappy rewards without any fun and a gimick to try and sell us all more gem shop skins. If fishing was relaxing fun and I actually wanted to do I MIGHT buy a skin. At present they can keep all the fishing, boat & turtle skins. I have no use for them.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Fun is subjective.  I hate HoT maps.  They are not fun for me.  While I agree with some of the points you made, especially with regards to the less-than-dynamic world, I am finding much more enjoyment with EoD than I ever have with HoT.

Yeah, I absolutely hated HoT.  The only thing I got in that entire expansion was a glider.  The maps were horrid.  Even after the critter nerf, I went back and still could not stand it.  I just leave it for those that do enjoy it.  That is beauty of GW2 - there is something for everyone.  😎

As for EoD itself, I am unsure right now if it is equal or better than PoF.  I loved getting the mounts, but the story was not very good (to me).  I had fun exploring a couple maps of PoF then got bored with some of the later maps (I never got past the area with the jackal mount).  So far I am loving exploring EoD.  Not fond of Echovald yet, but I just got there a couple days ago and it is too early to say.  Shing Jea is easily one of the best maps yet, and Kianeng is fun, even with the multi-levelness of it (I thoroughly despised the multi-level aspect of HoT).  So far the story is the best of the franchise. I am only on chapter 8 and may or may not finish the story... if I finish it will be the first since 2006 ha ha.  I am not a story player, but this one has been really fun so far. 

My only real complaint with the expansion is that I do not want fishing to be a mini-game.  That is not fun or relaxing (as advertised). Other than that, I have no problems with the expansion.  Well, the turtle mount should have been very early in the game, since it was such an advertised part. But I have no real interest in a turtle mount anyway, so not a major issue for me.  I am much more interested in the turtle pet for my ranger. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1