No names left, do we need to wait on GW3 to be able to play?

@Teratus.2859

I'm not gonna multiple quote you. Like i already said, we disagree, that's ok. 

I dont' see any benefit that would outweigh the potential mess this would cause to implement.

Not from what you provided as benefits anyway. So again, don't want to go in circles.

You should post this in the sugestions thread as well in case Anet reads those. 

The best you can hope for is hyphens and apostrophes, but that maybe wouldn't sit well with lore people so... Who knows.

But i wouldn't bet on anet allowing same names for multiple accounts. 

But whatever, good luck i guess, but yeah, naming isn't on Anet's top priority list. At least not for a while. Maybe with steam release.

2 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

ASCII?! That is sooo several decades ago. Embrace Unicode. ₡Ꭿ§廾☾ΘᏊ is a much better name 😛

Oops I meant 🐄₡Ꭿ§廾☾ΘᏊ🐄

Lol, could you imagine such names all over the game? 😄

30 minutes ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

I did not advocate for every character added, only hyphens. (apostrophe would be nice too).

Rules :

• At least 3 characters, at most 19 characters.
  • Allowed characters : letters, spaces, hyphens, and apostrophes.
  • Special characters cannot be put next to each other.
  • Must start and end with a letter.

Auto Formatting :

• First letter and any letter after a space are put in uppercase.
  • Every letter following an other letter is put in lowercase.

I know you didn't, that's why i said i have nothing against symbols used in naming, just other ones.

Honestly, if they add something like that, i guess that's the most people can hope for, but then again, lore wise, it doesn't make sense that for 10 years no NPC had a hyphen in their name, and now suddenly there's players with hyphens and apostrophes running around.

Personally, i don't care, and i don't think naming convention is going to change. I mean, i don't have trouble naming my characters, and i doubt a lot of people do, this seems to be a niche problem. But if they change it then, whatever, no skin off my back.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

@Teratus.2859

I dont' see any benefit that would outweigh the potential mess this would cause to implement.

Not from what you provided as benefits anyway. So again, don't want to go in circles.

The best you can hope for is hyphens and apostrophes, but that maybe wouldn't sit well with lore people so... Who knows.

But whatever, good luck i guess, but yeah, naming isn't on Anet's top priority list. At least not for a while. Maybe with steam release.

Lol, could you imagine such names all over the game? 😄

I know you didn't, that's why i said i have nothing against symbols used in naming, just other ones.

Honestly, if they add something like that, i guess that's the most people can hope for, but then again, lore wise, it doesn't make sense that for 10 years no NPC had a hyphen in their name, and now suddenly there's players with hyphens and apostrophes running around.

Personally, i don't care, and i don't think naming convention is going to change. I mean, i don't have trouble naming my characters, and i doubt a lot of people do, this seems to be a niche problem. But if they change it then, whatever, no skin off my back.

The naming rules and the lore are unrelated.

Also, there is Barkeeper Tin-Eye. A Charr in Lion's Arch 🙂

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Can. Accents and Umlaute, however, do with certainty. 😉

Certainly come up with a different pronunciation, but 100% another meaning?

At any rate, we of the US get laughed at by the rest of the world for any number of very good reasons.

Randomly applied accents are a time-honored fantasy tradition. And randomly applied umlauts are a hallmark of heavy metal. 😄

Edited by Gibson.4036

26 minutes ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

The naming rules and the lore are unrelated.

Also, there is Barkeeper Tin-Eye. A Charr in Lion's Arch 🙂

Well, in that case, hyphens are no problem lore wise.

Now, wether or not they can implement it easily is another thing.

Probably easier than allowing same names for multiple accounts though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

At any rate, we of the US get laughed at by the rest of the world for any number of very good reasons.

Randomly applied accents are a time-honored fantasy tradition. And randomly applied umlauts are a hallmark of heavy metal. 😄

Apostrophes are way better. For example Gi'Ibson already looks like a good enough fantasy name 😛

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Apostrophes are way better. For example Gi'Ibson already looks like a good enough fantasy name 😛

Ah, but Kísänth looks like you could slay dragons while wearing a loincloth and playing electric guitar with a beautiful person clinging to one of your legs.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

It can, but I agree that it's not usually a big deal.  However, Wizards of the Coast found out on some MtG cards that the French pêcheurs (fishermen) has a totally different meaning than pécheurs (sinners).  lol

57 minutes ago, Gunther Clone C.6742 said:

I mean... My sassy Sylvari is named Sassifrassi.

And my sassy Sylvari is Fronds Withbenefits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Scratchpaw.1069 said:

I thought that Asura's were specifically named with only 1 word, often with 2 consonants. Take a look at Asuran NPC's. Just one word.

My first Asuran I created around launch. Named him Chaxx which I felt was a pretty good representation of typical asuran names. They like the double consonants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Yup, just ask Mötley Crüe about the first time they went to Germany. 😄

I did once call a tempoary character Spüriöüs Ümläüts, but obviously that was intentional. (No, I have no idea how you'd pronounce it.) That was on the EU server too. The fun part for me (with a UK keyboard) was when I had to type the name in again to delete him. Fortunately it supports copy & paste and I still had it in my GW2 notes document.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

There are many, many names left. If you want a lore-appropriate name, try these guidelines:

Spoiler

Asuran names - add a title. For temporary key-runner characters, I've used Illusionist Griff (or Illusionist Mezzi; no surprise that they're mesmers), Acquisitor Neff (thief...), Golemancer Neffil (I re-used the name; it's like "sniffle," but cuter)... all cleared with no problems. Double consonants (or vowels on rare occasions) are common; most male names end in a consonant or consonant sound, most female names end in a vowel, but that's a rough generalization. Titles can be anything from mundane (one of my asura is just "Engineer Jeke"...because...he's an engineer...) to truly fantastic asuran techno-babble.

Sylvari names - generally they have Welsh/Irish/Scottish names, but fantasy names (or plant puns) also work just fine. I even ran across a player who named their sylvari something in Quenya. If that doesn't clear, then add the Cycle of day they were born in. Gethin of Dusk, Caoimhe of Dawn, Oisín of Dawn, Ianthos of Noon, Lorcán of Night. Accents also work - "Lorcán of Night" was taken, but Lorcán of Níght was free, and thus that's what he's named.

Human names - pick a first and last name from the area your human is from. Kryta/Ascalon? Try European names. Elona? African or Middle Eastern names. Cantha? Asian names - a pretty wide variety, everything from Vietnamese to Chinese to Korean to Japanese and beyond. Fantasy names are perfectly fine, too: how many people in real life are named Thander, Kasmeer, or Gisinger? ...actually, if anybody's really named Gisinger - you have an awesome name. Just wanted to say that. :classic_biggrin:

Charr - pick a vaguely Roman- or Greek-inspired first name (Lucius, Drusus, Agrippa, Vita, etc.), play around with the letters or sounds if you wish, then make up the coolest Warrior Cats surname you can think of and you're golden. Lucius Fireclaw, Drusus Gravecaller, Agrippa Hailfall, Vita Redsight, Grigoris Ghostcrusher...

Norn - accents are your friend, within reason. Myrgjöl Stormwolf wasn't taken, for example (well, it is now). Norn have a wide variety of names, from Scandinavian to vaguely Anglo-Saxon to straight-up fantasy, and they may have titles, epithets, or names they've taken in honor of their accomplishments (like my girl Stormwolf; that's not her actual surname, but it's the one she's taken to honor her patron Spirit, Wolf).  So you can have Rúni The Fierce and Vragi Ulfarrsson and Wulfrun Brighthelm running around together.

I use this website to find names. https://www.behindthename.com/

...and if you don't want a lore-appropriate name, then disregard all that nerdy lore stuff and go hog-wild with puns, crazy with accents, or mash your keyboard until you find a random combination of letters that looks nice. I admit to doing that quite often in other games. 😄 It works.

Edited by Batel.9206
That darned paragraph spacing bug strikes again...
  • Like 3

Have spent many hours searching for names of a "theme" online. Although I used the Friends Lists to check the names are not take. I have over 50 characters. A lot of common names are taken.

An ex-GW1 guildy has a name I thought of, Taylor Skritt, and he took it. Sadly I've not seen him back in many years, and have sent in-game emails asking if he still plays her. I should of nabbed the name, but at the time I did not have the income to buy another slot.

Do strongly suggested making 12 characters total, one for each month. Those birthday rewards are worth if if you plan to stay in the game. 😉  Oh, and make a simple spreadsheet to keep tracks of who is what, where they are at in crafting, story, race, base profession, elite profession, creation date, birthdays (for yearly goodies), etc. Across two accounts there is no way I can remember all that without a spreadsheet. I also add in names I had/have in Everquest 2 that I have yet to use here, namely because Anet has no Lizard race, and was hoping maybe Tengu would been a playable race.

Most of my base names came from GW1, a few from Aion.

Have a friend named Rosie.... and she has an alt with Rosie in there.

What I do miss from EQ2 is that one could use a ' in the name. i.e. Karla De Veng'Nce
There are times when you want a name and are a character or two over. So a ' can help shorten the name without it looking stupid. And was going to use an example, and found the name was not taken, so, yeah, there are available names out there, Virginia. 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xelqypla.6817 said:

Americans are aware of it. There is just no reason to care that some random person who speaks another language is laughing.

Okayyyy. If you like to spell a name so that its pronunciation will be completely different from what you had intended, feel free to do so.

I always research the pronunciations of letters foreign to my own language (like many used in Skandinavian languages, for instance) before I decide to use them, and I can only shake my head at people too lazy (or ignorant) to do so.

5 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

No, but the word that is created can have a different meaning. As for accents and umlauts, those are always pronounced the same way, and one should google their pronunciation first before using them, at least that's my personal opinion on the matter.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

There are thousands of inactive accounts for years reserving names this is unfair for actively playing people. 

Anet has to put in a mechanic that sends a mail and automatically renames inactive account character names unless they get online in a certain time.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, fatihso.7258 said:

There are thousands of inactive accounts for years reserving names this is unfair for actively playing people. 

Anet has to put in a mechanic that sends a mail and automatically renames inactive account character names unless they get online in a certain time.

No they do not need to do this.

This is the one reason I will never go back to swtor, I lost my family name in a server merge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don't generally find this a problem, except in the case of Asura, where lore had established that they don't generally have last names, so if possible I want mine to have just one name. I'm very glad that I made most of my Asura characters during the early start, because these days it's challenging!

Edited by Kyniel.4706
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Not the same thing.  https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000728148-I-Want-to-Change-My-Display-Name

• Account Name (your login email address)
  • Display Name (including the four-digit number after the name, such as “Gamer.1234”)

Yes I know the technical difference, It's just awkward and a bit backwards with the terminology.

Many people refer to the display name as the account name because that's how it normally works.
That is the unique name that identifies my entire account, ergo it makes more sense to call it my "account name" and not my "display name" as I cannot change it nor display it how I want it to be displayed which is how it works in most other platforms.

The actual account name is simply a login e-mail, and many people where i'm from would simply call it that.
Display names are usually something else, and most often something you can choose and change at will.

That's why some people refer to the display name as their "account name" it's just makes more sense that way and it's how it usually works elsewhere.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

@Teratus.2859

Yes agree to disagree ^^ that's all good.

It's not my thread to repost in suggestions though, that would be the OP's responsibility.
I've made my own threads in the past and I am pretty sure they were in the suggestions page or they were moved there by a mod.. I dunno, been a while but either way they've likely been read and catalogued.

Anet staff do read most if not all forum threads eventually and popular ideas do get passed on and as Devs have stated as well they tend to come up often in their meetings so I wouldn't be surprised if the name issue is one of those subjects they have talked about behind closed doors a good few times.

I do agree it's not a priority atm though, not with all the other big projects they have going on.
But Anet do listen to us, and they do tend to agree with us sometimes so I'll keep hoping for some kind of change/improvement to this system in the future.
Even if it isn't exactly what I expect/want..
Even if I could use names locked to my account on multiple characters on my account that would still be a big improvement.

Edited by Teratus.2859

I have 38 characters and counting and usually get my preferred character name at the first try. The thumb rule to naming characters in a 10 year old MMO is never to use anything remotely related to pop culture or book characters or existing plants or anything of that sort . Also anything that sounds like a generic fantasy name a lot of people would like is usually taken.  What works is make up your own name and add lastnames, ranks etc., as people said. And use the 19 letters you have available. The only issue I regularly have with naming characters is the letter limit of 19 😄, because I like to make very long names, often in the style of  "something of the something".

It's always possible to google a word to see if one acidentally stumbled upon a word that has a meaning in another language. But I'm not too worried about that as long as I don't stumble upon a curse word in another language, since even Anet does that by accident. Detective Rama bears the name of a in germany well known brand of substitute butter after all.  Long live Detektiv Margarine. I love his name. 😂 And I'm pretty sure his name means something totally different in another language anyway ^^.

• Like 2