New things you've learned or done by going for the big Return to... achievement

As I'd stopped spending tens of hours on the LW maps sometime in the middle of 3 and would then just do the story, map complete, do some nearby stuff and skedaddle, there have been quite a few new things that were out of the way or otherwise unappealing that I'd had to do and some of it annoyed me, some of it surprised me, and some of it even entertained me (gosh, positivity on the forums, what is the world coming to?). For instance:

- I never knew there was a race in Jahai Bluffs in the middle of that Branded-infested palace that nobody in their right mind would ever return to after completing the map. Not the worst race but so easy to miss!

- Again in Jahai, the Death-Branded Shatterer meta is something I'd never done because I was never there at the right time for it.

- The light puzzles in Bjora Marches... I knew that they existed but I never tried them because I just assumed they'd be some obtuse nonsense I'd have to constantly alt-tab from to check the wiki. Surprisingly, they're not! They tend to be fairly easy (if you have a skyscale, at least... might be a pain without one) and therefore don't really require much wiki consulting other than finding the starting point.

- Chalice of Tears is still awful.

• Like 4

Well im the kind of guy who did the entire story once. Some parts more for story achievements or for legendary collections. So to go through the entire story again it made me realise that i forgot soo much about the story. 

And yes chalace of tears is still awful. How on earth are people able to do that for the first time without a guide. I always wondered.. 

• Like 2

- Having Mesmerfrens is awesome(never really forget that one, but Chalice of Tears made me remember)
- S2 somehow manages to feel slower now that you kill stuff faster
- The story is actually good. Not groundbreaking or super deep, but decent and well told S3 and onward.
- I loved revisiting the maps and found new apreciation for how good the game looks and how most of the maps have a distinct feel to them. I've learnt that Kourna is actually as empty and boring as I remembered it to be.
- I experienced either power creep or how much I've learned about the mechanics of the game or a mix of both, everything died so fast...
- I was remembered that ANet isn't good on following up stuff. The story is good, but it leaves so much unanswered and you just kinda know ANet doesn't look back.
- Reliving the rushed end of Lazarus and Joko made me sad again. Aurene's death and immediate ressurection made me roll my eyes again.
- I've learnt what little it takes to keep me engaged week by week.

• Like 4

I learned that I can stomach dealing with badly written story and inane/asinine tasks in small doses spread out over a period of months or years for the sake of a fantastic combat system much better than I can in a much smaller time frame.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Some of the instances are very bad. LW2 is badly telegraphed (hard to tell what to do) but actually well designed fights. But LW4 has several encounters where not only is dying nearly inevitable, it's actually built in (autorezzing built into the instance so you can't fail, instance not resetting on death so you can just facecheck). Seriously basically everything in season 4 is handled by facechecking and rezzing till you get it. Almost none of it is doable in any other way. And many encounters also have even less clues about what to do than LS2, requiring you look up what needs to be done of the wiki or you have no possible way to ever figure it out.

What was done to Gandara and kourna in general was a travesty of rush work.

Also Chalice of tears and Searing ascent are hands down the worst JPs in the game. Too easy to fail, to hard to know where to go, check points spaced too far apart, surfaces where 1 pixel is safe and the other is ice, ambient damage in the JP that can kill you in mid attempt if you stand in the wrong spot... Abadonn's ascent is also hard to tell where to go but at least doesn't have the ice problem.

Why are there harvesting quests inside the Forging Steel Strike?

The temples from Siren's landing would have been good to us on Dragon's End instead of constantly closed WPs.

Edited by Boogiepop Void.6473
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, KeoLegend.5132 said:

why? you can harvest everything in less than 30 minutse

Goes to harvest gets 1 item and the node dissapears.

Repeat x times.  Compelling acheivement and gameplay right there.

At least with mining and woodcutting the node sticks around and you get 3 harvest. Yes i know most of the achivements are scaled to require roughly 10 uses. Not all are and some basically require alt hoping and finding a "farm" (i.e Silverwastes). Also unlike the other two listed i have to go out of my way and use a tool that has less charges than the others often disrupting gameplay.

• Confused 4

20 minutes ago, TexZero.7910 said:

Goes to harvest gets 1 item and the node dissapears.

Repeat x times.  Compelling acheivement and gameplay right there.

At least with mining and woodcutting the node sticks around and you get 3 harvest. Yes i know most of the achivements are scaled to require roughly 10 uses. Not all are and some basically require alt hoping and finding a "farm" (i.e Silverwastes). Also unlike the other two listed i have to go out of my way and use a tool that has less charges than the others often disrupting gameplay.

bro, just buy a single set of harvest tools and then give 30 minutes to harvest all. It wont take more. You don't need to wait for respawn or change instances. The nodes are there for you only, and every map has more than enough resources to be collected

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, KeoLegend.5132 said:

bro, just buy a single set of harvest tools and then give 30 minutes to harvest all. It wont take more. You don't need to wait for respawn or change instances. The nodes are there for you only, and every map has more than enough resources to be collected

Yeah lol. 1 single tour across the map picking up every gathering node is enough to finish the achievement for gathering multiple times... (if it could be done multiple times.)

Also! I stated before chalice of tears is awfull. I also want to say it shouldnt be less awefull. Its good that its awefull. 

15 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Yeah lol. 1 single tour across the map picking up every gathering node is enough to finish the achievement for gathering multiple times... (if it could be done multiple times.)

Also! I stated before chalice of tears is awfull. I also want to say it shouldnt be less awefull. Its good that its awefull. 

I HAD A VERY NICE SOUL that went trough it with me with ports on every single checkpoint.

Angels do exist afterall

The other JPs are way less stresfull, like the Siren's Landing one

• Like 1

Yeah Chalice of tears was just so bad. I can barely describe how rubbish it is, suffice to say that I have done and currently am regularly doing SAB trib mode and still ended up jumping into a squad to finish Chalice. It's not just that the jumps are blind, it's that the geometry often doesn't even look like you should be able to land on it. In fact I am of the opinion that ordinarily you can't, and whoever designed that atrocity had to place invisible floors for players to land on. Gross in every way. Doing the Skyscale WITHOUT guides was more fun and less arduous than Chalice.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, KeoLegend.5132 said:

bro what part of playing farmer dave is legendary to you ?

It aint for me and it's certianly not enjoyable gameplay.

Sorry i'm not the same as you crying over chalice of tears.

Edited by TexZero.7910
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, TexZero.7910 said:

bro what part of playing farmer dave is legendary to you ?

It aint for me and it's certianly not enjoyable gameplay.

Sorry i'm not the same as you crying over chalice of tears.

Simple. You craft for 2 reasons:

1) Spend more time in the map and enjoy it more

2) Get materials for your legendary magic amulet

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I had played the stories and worked on some of the achievements towards Vision and Aurora before the Return to Achievements. I ended up finishing Vision, Aurora and Prismatic Champions Regalia within days of each other which were my first Legendary items. 

What I learned is how much I had undervalued Legendary items and how easy they are to work with. Having a handful to share across all my characters was a bit of a light bulb moment and made me look at starting Leg Armor next.  You may not need legendary, but it sure is a nice benefit if you are already playing the game a lot. 

I learned exactly how badly this game needs a [Skip] button and it made me miss the base game's cutscene style because it had such feature.

It also reminded me how badly this game needs to allow you to relog back into your story instance cuz disconnecting at the very end of one during a buggy final dialogue or scene transition and having to redo everything cuz of it really sucks.

I learned that Thunderhead Peak is probably the worst map in the game~ what a slow and dull slog that one was.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 12:41 PM, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

The achievement system is precisely what lets players know about such content. There is so much that can be missed otherwise.

Yup! If someone doesn't know what to do in this game, they should just open achievements tab and pick something

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, KeoLegend.5132 said:

Simple. You craft for 2 reasons:

1) Spend more time in the map and enjoy it more

2) Get materials for your legendary magic amulet

Exactly 0 of the materials you get from gathering in this are used for the legendary amulet.

Have you even done this ?

• Confused 1