What is up with top 250 sPvP players (NA?)

Mell.4873

I mean why the heck did it drop into gold 3 now; 1400 skill rating is all you need to be in the top 250 players?

Im lost, is this just my particular area of the NA servers?
How can I make sense of this other than saying no one is playing sPvP at the moment.

Edited by Mell.4873

Ever shrinking population and I would guess the game requirement for placement just went up, which is going to boot out people who aren’t at that game threshold yet. Can’t say for certain though, I haven’t been paying close attention to PvP this season. 

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mell.4873 said:

You are indeed lost; we've been on megaservers for years, there is no "my corner of the servers" anymore.

As for the lowered rating threshold to get in, it's just a sign of extremely reduced population. So few people still play that there aren't enough plat folks to fill out the top 250.

Many seasons ago, when I got the old top 250 title, I remember needing to stay around 1550 just to make sure I could get inside the top 250. Two seasons ago, I just spammed matches without caring about rating. I ended up at 1530 or something like that, and maybe top 150ish. 

Lower population also results in naturally gold 3 players like me running into the top 10 players rather frequently in matches. Population is just atrocious, I really do feel it's hit rock bottom.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

You are indeed lost; we've been on megaservers for years, there is no "my corner of the servers" anymore.

As for the lowered rating threshold to get in, it's just a sign of extremely reduced population. So few people still play that there aren't enough plat folks to fill out the top 250.

Many seasons ago, when I got the old top 250 title, I remember needing to stay around 1550 just to make sure I could get inside the top 250. Two seasons ago, I just spammed matches without caring about rating. I ended up at 1530 or something like that, and maybe top 150ish. 

Lower population also results in naturally gold 3 players like me running into the top 10 players rather frequently in matches. Population is just atrocious, I really do feel it's hit rock bottom.

Yeah I feel its more then bottom fell out of population but I could be wrong. If no new people join PvP then most of your matches will be against gold players which will mean you will naturally lose matches.

If we had a lot of new players in silver/gold then I bet it would be easier to maintain your rank without playing, that is my thinking.

Edited by Mell.4873

I wonder if they will do anything or just let the gamemode die. It's better on EU, but still... during the season PoF released, I peaked around 1790 yet couldn't make it to the ladder. Thats right, in late 2017 high plat 3 wasn't enough to get into the top 250. I would be top 10 today if I managed the same.

If the game really doubled its playerbase during these last 2-3 years, it's even more weird how WvW and PvP are just slowly rotting away. How do they expect to keep the playerbase? Do they really only want supercasuals?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

i remember during pof release when being legend 1800+ cant even score me a top25.

but yes, gw2 is the super casual game..as no monthly fee and the content isnt challenging and time consuming like ff14.

and im only playing gw2 cause im a casual with no time now as i work and enjoy weekend drinking. alot of old time veteran pvper are in the same shoe as me, people grew old, i mean game is 10 year old..idk how a selected few top players who played during core game still plays a lot of hour every day lol. anyway

and i'm pretty sure most of the pve/wvw players are casual as well, which is the audience anet try to attract

to the young people who didnt start a long time ago who want hardcore gaming, i suggest you go somewhere else, as someone who seem the glory days..you are beating a dead horse now. and the lack of effort for EoD definitely has less effect then PoF had.

Edited by felix.2386

3 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

I mean why the heck did it drop into gold 3 now; 1400 skill rating is all you need to be in the top 250 players?

How can I make sense of this other than saying no one is playing sPvP at the moment.

I've seen a few na players transfered to eu

Thesis: EoD killed spvp.

Atleast i have not done a single Ranked game since. Just no fun in it anymore. Almost all the new specs get a ton of sustain, without even thinking about it.

I consider myself a pretty decent Fireweaver. I hit P2 solo before EoD was released.

What really broke my back is that...  i lost a fight on a Sidenode against a mechanist... THAT WAS TURNING WITH THE KEYBOARD.  😵

I have not recovered since.🤕

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 5

Lower population -> If you are high rated there are fewer high level players to get matched against so will play with lower rated players -> you gain less rating for wins (but lose a ton of rating for losses) -> the maximum rating in the game decreases -> plat 3 is the new legend.

At least I think that's how it works.

Edited by agrippastrilemma.8741

4 minutes ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

Lower population -> If you are high rated there are fewer high level players to get matched against so will play with lower rated players -> you gain less rating for wins -> the maximum rating in the game decreases -> plat 3 is the new legend.

At least I think that's how it works.

Yeah exactly otherwise people would be squatting there high rating but that does not seem to be happening at all. 

• Confused 1

a lot of ppl got tired of simple demands taking 2 years to happen

easily detected over and underperforming builds not being touched

mmr became a bigger and bigger joke as now your available time to play sometimes is more impactful for your rating than your actual skill at the game

a lot of ppl quit the game cuz of that and some just stop caring about mmr at all

those titles became 10 achievment points for pve heroes

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 4:11 AM, greedywholesome.9081 said:

That's terrible. I thought most people change that at lvl 1 on the first character of the account. 

He was playing like it was a lvl1 account....   i was sweating so hard in the fight and he just stood there....  MACE MACE MACE MACE MACE. and i could not kill him. That was on the second day of EoD... before the mechanist nerfs, but nevertheless.... it shows the glorious balance of mechanist. ❤️

47 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

He was playing like it was a lvl1 account....   i was sweating so hard in the fight and he just stood there....  MACE MACE MACE MACE MACE. and i could not kill him. That was on the second day of EoD... before the mechanist nerfs, but nevertheless.... it shows the glorious balance of mechanist. ❤️

KB turners are the worst and the build carried him. I suggest you play a will bender and target the mechanist, not the robot. Or, untamed 🙂 you can probably out sustain him. With the weaver, it was once my fave spec but sadly fell out of favor from EoD. 

On 4/12/2022 at 11:19 PM, Bazsi.2734 said:

I wonder if they will do anything or just let the gamemode die. It's better on EU, but still... during the season PoF released, I peaked around 1790 yet couldn't make it to the ladder. Thats right, in late 2017 high plat 3 wasn't enough to get into the top 250. I would be top 10 today if I managed the same.

If the game really doubled its playerbase during these last 2-3 years, it's even more weird how WvW and PvP are just slowly rotting away. How do they expect to keep the playerbase? Do they really only want supercasuals?

While the game population is growing, this is bot the case in PvP. Spvp has been atrocious since Feb 2020.