Griffon mount coming to WoW

1 hour ago, Jin.8501 said:

Barrel roll on dragon was in FFXIV before GW2 even had mounts. And yes even that barrel roll wasn't original idea

Yes, barrel roll Aileron Roll on dragon is not unique, but what WoW did is a blatant copy paste.

There are many ways to animate a barrel roll  an Aileron Roll. Even here on How to Train Your Dragon, the animator can animate it without folding wings and it makes a big difference.

Reminded me of this meme:

"Can I copy your homework?"

"Yeah, just change it up so it's not obvious you copied"

"Sure thing"

EDIT: Btw, can you show me the barrel roll Aileron Roll on FFXIV? I'm kinda curious.

EDIT2: Aileron Roll. Thank you @Fueki.4753 for the info!

Edited by phandaria.4891
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Towatha.4671 said:

Where was it used first?

in Warcraft II(1999), mounted Griffons was a Alliance military unit used to something like "air bombing", i dont remember with precision, its seems their atack was dwarvens mounted throw hammers from air.

Their unit on opossit enemies used by horde, was just dragons that breath fire.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Gryphon_Rider_(Warcraft_II)

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ok. OP's point (imo) isn't about simply having dragons or griffons or sharing ideas or getting inspiration - that's great when companies do this especially if it's a QoL improvement for players. I wish more games would adopt a material storage or collection system like GW2 has, it makes life so easy for me as a hoarder/collector! (Just, design it yourself and think of new/different features to make it your own.) Moving on.

The problem is the blatant copypaste of the mount animations, and then Blizzard praising themselves like they came up with it all on their own. "We wanted to come up with a movement system..." and "...it really helps to lend that feeling of physics as you move through the air in ways that you haven't before." to be precise.

Someone previously brought up an FFXIV barrel aileron roll, idk why... The FFXIV mount roll animations are absolutely unique/different. Notice the pre-spin bob, it spins 2-3 times, and then post-spin bob. Clearly a unique expression of the roll, unless they can provide a vid link of this exact sequence from another game?

Blizzard has clearly 1-for-1 copied:

1. the skyscale's take-off bobbing, as well as the instantly-into-spin quick spin;

2. the griffon's dive posture, momentum gain, as well as the 'air momentum lines' (woo hoo they just moved them to vignette instead of tight around the body). One can argue that any flying creature's diving posture is similar across the board due to aerodynamics, but when combined with the other items listed, I can't accept this as just a coincidence. Comparing them side by side it's painfully obvious.

It cannot be denied that the above items are exact copies of the animations of the GW2 mounts, and any deflection or whataboutism arguments fail to address or justify this.

Activision Blizzard should be ashamed of themselves.

GW2 Team, I love you. ❤️

Edit: Correct barrel to aileron.

Edited by Velorra.7310
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, Velorra.7310 said:

Someone previously brought up an FFXIV barrel roll, idk why... The FFXIV mount barrel roll animations are absolutely unique/different. Notice the pre-spin bob, it spins 2-3 times, and then post-spin bob. Clearly a unique expression of the roll, unless they can provide a vid link of this exact sequence from another game?

Thank you for the link. The pre and post bob does make a significant difference in the animation.

There is so much creativity that can be done in the animation, for example, make an O movement plus spin, wing flap plus dash, etc.

The issue is that Blizzard copied almost all aspects of PoF mount: concept, physics, animation, wind effects. And these are only the elements that we can see, who knows what else. Maybe they are gonna implement Griffon Master and Expert mini games?

Anyway, I'm just saying that it is what it is, a blatant copy and paste. I'm not in the position to claim copyright and I'd rather not spread any hate. I used to like WoW as well. More power to them, hey, GW2 mount system is the best out there.

Edited by phandaria.4891
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Ashgar.3024 said:

But honestly, a dragon doing a barrel roll isn't really something Anet can patent.

I remember my Skyscale doing Aileron Rolls, not Barrel Rolls. It's still a mystery how Peppy Hare passed his flight tests.

19 hours ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

They have one called a Gryphon, I had it when I was playing.  I think the one I had was a reputation mount.  I really wanted it and ran tons of dailies to get it.  Used it all the time!

Griffin, Griffon, Gryphon and similar are all just different transliterations from the Greek word, so they are basically the same creature.

Edited by Fueki.4753

1 hour ago, phandaria.4891 said:

Yes, barrel roll on dragon is not unique, but what WoW did is a blatant copy paste.

There are many ways to animate a barrel roll. Even here on How to Train Your Dragon, the animator can animate it without folding wings and it makes a big difference.

These are Aileron Rolls, not Barrel Rolls.

It's really sad how Peppy Hare has infected people with wrongly used vocabulary.

21 hours ago, Ashgar.3024 said:

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery i guess.

But honestly, a dragon doing a barrel roll isn't really something Anet can patent. And Blizzard literally built itself slightly tweaking existing ideas. Its what they do.

You got your Skyscales and Griffons confused.

All games borrow from each other.  Some of the skins in gw2 look like WoW models, some of the areas smack of WoW zones, some of the names, and even expansions resemble each other.  Two seater mount, yep WoW did that first.  Ending a line of dragon stories, yep WoW.  Movies and tv shows also borrow from each other.  Art imitates art and whatever sells.  Who cares, play the games you want to play.  It's not a legal issue.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Some players find GW2's mount system too complicated.  They don't want to bind keys and constantly swap between mounts, utilizing a variety of skills and managing endurance bars and cooldowns for best effect.

If you're that sort of player, WoW's system is much better.  You move at the same speed no matter what you do.  There are no endurance bars restricting how far or often you can fly or leap, no aiming leaps or charging bars to change how high you jump, no drifting around corners at high speed or diving in order to move faster, and no reason to switch between mounts except when you want to use one that looks different.  In short, there's no gameplay to it.

It is annoying, but I use the always (for me) unused keypad, with the griffon on ~ as default. 

13 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

whats that?

Harathi Hinterlands = Arathi Highlands + Hinterlands. Two adjacent northern zones that also happen to have a similar type of terrain (northern grassland/forest/mountain) as the GW2 zone. (very unlikely to be inspired by a girl's name etc. when the terrain and location also matches)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nazarick.9653 said:

Harathi Hinterlands = Arathi Highlands + Hinterlands. Two adjacent northern zones that also happen to have a similar type of terrain (northern grassland/forest/mountain) as the GW2 zone. (very unlikely to be inspired by a girl's name etc. when the terrain and location also matches)

The reason it’s named hinterlands and looks that way is cause that’s what a hinterland is. It’s like when you find mountains in yes… mountains 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, disco.9302 said:

Looks like someone else had the same idea as op 

https://www.pcgamer.com/if-you-want-to-try-wow-dragonflights-new-rideable-dragons-just-play-guild-wars-2/

Edit: just checked their explanation of dragonflight  and

ngl it's super similar to what we have in gw2 but with worse graphics🤣

I quit watching about a minute in after the dragon effects were described as "prismatic".  Do they seriously think that people don't know about other games?

Their thing looks about as refined as a Play-Doh shooter.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:57 PM, Towatha.4671 said:

The new expansion was announced and it looks like they're stealing the griffon mount concept from gw2. 

Should WoW be able to 'steal' this idea and adopt it as their own? I'm guessing this idea wont just stop with the Griffon concept.

That's actually WoW's mo from the beginning. Nobody likes to admit this, but nothing about WoW has ever been an original idea. From day one it was just a collection of things other games did, tweaked. And it took off because it was simply the best version of those systems, building on what was done before and refining it. So this is hardly surprising. 

And it's no big deal. The only thing about it that bugs me is that there are already WoW players saying GW2 copied the dragon from WoW...against all logic. But then WoW players have been using the most nonsensical reasons to bash GW2 since it's first day as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arkham Creed.7358 said:

That's actually WoW's mo from the beginning. Nobody likes to admit this, but nothing about WoW has ever been an original idea. From day one it was just a collection of things other games did, tweaked. And it took off because it was simply the best version of those systems, building on what was done before and refining it. So this is hardly surprising. 

And it's no big deal. The only thing about it that bugs me is that there are already WoW players saying GW2 copied the dragon from WoW...against all logic. But then WoW players have been using the most nonsensical reasons to bash GW2 since it's first day as well. 

13 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

All games borrow from each other.  Some of the skins in gw2 look like WoW models, some of the areas smack of WoW zones, some of the names, and even expansions resemble each other.  Two seater mount, yep WoW did that first.  Ending a line of dragon stories, yep WoW.  Movies and tv shows also borrow from each other.  Art imitates art and whatever sells.  Who cares, play the games you want to play.  It's not a legal issue.

I would say that it is fine if it's just borrowing the concept/physics, there are a lot of different ways to do it. But borrowing concept, physics, movement, animation, effect? To the point at first glance, it is painfully obvious where it's been copied and pasted from.

I totally enjoy games that borrow GW2 mount concept, for example Pokemon Legends Arceus. 4 mounts each with specific movements: Land, Water, Mount (Climbing) and Air, but the devs made it so well for their game. It looks very different, it moves very differently as well. Let's see, in Arceus, Braviary can speed up like Griffon, but there's no need for a dive and it's just as satisfying. Again, there are many ways to borrow something instead of blatant rip off.

Hell, if Arenanet implemented 2-seater mount with Mammoth model, I would probably complaint about it as well.

This left a bad taste in my mouth cos plagiarism is a serious issue in the industry I work at.

I know how Blizz steal ideas from other games. I loved WoW and I want them to succeed, but looking at their current track record and what they did with GW2 mount, just left me sad. It's so uninspiring.

Edited by phandaria.4891
  • Like 1