Is there any purpose to Fishing...?

It was supposed to be fun and as they said "kick back and relax"... but they made it a mini-game instead.  I do not know if the rewards are any good, but it is not what I would call fun.  I was really looking forward to fishing too... oh well... such is life. 😎

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7

7 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

...besides finishing the Fishing related achievements?

What else can you do with the fish you catch besides creating the +150 Fishing Power food?

You need fishing mats in the creation of gen3 legendaries. Look at this for example 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chunk_of_Ancient_Ambergris

Edit: the fish fillets are also used in cooking for buffs.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

It was supposed to be fun and as they said "kick back and relax"... but they made it a mini-game instead.  I do not know if the rewards are any good, but it is not what I would call fun.  I was really looking forward to fishing too... oh well... such is life. 😎

yea, I've played alot of games with fishing activities and honestly, it's super rare that fishing in game is actually relaxing, most of the time it's a super annoying mini game with tons of things to consider, like time of day, baits, different poles etc.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

People begged for fishing.  They got fishing.  I didn't ask for fishing, but I like fishing.  I like the mini game, it's something to do besides sit and stare.  Uses...food of course, need it for legi crafting...turn in the catch of the day for an easy daily ambergris, add a little turtle to your home instance, sell mats to other players, something to do while waiting for other events.  We'll see if they add more in the future.  Could you skip it entirely, sure.  Some people don't craft at all, some people don't farm.

• Like 16
  • Confused 2

The primary point was for fishing to be a fun social activity, and it does manage to do that. I like to fish while waiting for events or when I don't have the energy or focus to chase other goals in GW2 while still being available to chat with friends. Also, the hilarious characters and guilds that have been made specifically for this activity have been pretty amazing.

The fishing UI, however, is still a big mess and there really ought to be an accountwide tackle box for baits and lures to make it a mastery that's easy to pick up and use on any of your characters. The unintended (?) behavior of fishing power with relation to exotic fish, the irritation of dusk/dawn catches, and the mess of the Fishing Party buff and mob aggro+non-functioning Skiff HP mastery while fishing are still pain points, but my hope is that ArenaNet reconsiders and improves these issues as time presents itself. They've already tried to implement some fixes, but they're still not quite there yet in making fishing a polished feature.

Perhaps one day. 🐠

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

For me fishing is pretty unfunny, I don't like the idea that you MUST use buff food and the best tools to get something not even really good. Without that you won't fish outside of Seitung and the other new maps. 

In Kryta fishing with "just" some 300 fishing points is insane and frustrating.

Edited by Galmac.4680
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Fishing primarily exists to feed into more fishing...and to sell fishing pole skins in the gemstore.

To add to what Ashen says, fishing exists because some people have been asking for it for ages, and because ANet were scraping the bottom of the barrel while planning the carrots for End of Dragons.

• Like 18
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

So many responses, only one actually on the topic :classic_wink: :

7 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Edit: the fish fillets are also used in cooking for buffs.

I've only found buff food for Fishing. I was hoping for useful buff food apart from Fishing.

So, what else are the fish filets good for?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

14 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

So many responses, only one actually on the topic :classic_wink: :

I've only found buff food for Fishing. I was hoping for useful buff food apart from Fishing.

So, what else are the fish filets good for?

Buy Ambergris.

And to be fair to all us responders, you did ask two different questions in your OP.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

So many responses, only one actually on the topic :classic_wink:

All of them were on topic.

Your title asked if there was any point to fishing (Fun, socializing, achievements, profit, fishing-specific loot), your OP asked if there was any point to fishing apart from achievements (Profit, socializing, entertainment, fishing-specific loot), and if there was anything you could do with fish apart from crafting food for fishing (Profit, daily credit, legendary crafting, daily catch ambergris, achievements, collecting for fun, saving up/converting filets and crab meat for the EoD infinite tonics and minis).

It's alright if you don't enjoy fishing or don't see it as a useful activity, but please don't pretend people were derailing your thread because you dislike their answers.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

Plus the fact it should never be dismissed that a social, fun activity is less relevant than rewards and tangible uses. That is the most important point for me. Could it be improved? Sure. Am I enjoying it more as an activity in itself than the rewarded materials and achievements? Yes

I don’t fish in other games for any reason than I like doing it. That’s enough for me

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

And to be fair to all us responders, you did ask two different questions in your OP.

I asked whether Fishing was useful for anything besides Achievements and creating Fishing Buff food. Not sure that can be viewed as two different questions, but it doesn't really matter, as most responses were people posting their opinion on Fishing.

I know that it's a leizure activity, but "fun" and "usefulness" are two different pairs of shoes. 🙂

49 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Buy Ambergris.

So that's the only thing left to do then once you're done with all the Achievements? What a shame. I wish the fish could be used for non-fishing buff food, that would have been quite wonderful.

40 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

All of them were on topic.

If you say so. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10