Locking new weapons behind Elite specs was a mistake.

While I think it's fine for us to unlock that weapon by fully learning a new specialization, restricting the weapon to that spec only is a mistake.

It greatly limits creativity and options for no reason, really.

Some elite specs don't even use the weapon that they unlock, whereas other specs might synergize well with them.

Huge wasted opportunity, I hope they'll change their mind about it someday.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 23

21 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

There are plenty of reasons. Just because the reasons are something you do not like, understand, or want to acknowledge, doesn't make them any less of a reason it is the way it is. 

Also no, I'm not going to go into what they are since there are countless threads on it. 

23 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I hope they'll change their mind about it someday.

I hope they don't.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 13
  • Confused 6

One new weapon needing different skills, or at least different balance, for nine professions multiplied by nine new weapons....the balance nightmare would be something to behold. And you know there would be complaints if each profession didnt receive its own unique thematic skills for the weapon. After all the different professions are meant to have their own themes and playstyles even when using the same weapon as another class.

So 9 weapons times 9 professions times 5 skills = 405  new skills to attempt to give their own identity and while being balanced against each other. And three elite specs, 1215 new skills so far.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Cronospere.8143 said:

Lorewise its weird that your character suddenly cant wield a weapon anymore. 

But balancing is the biggest issue i guess. 

On the other hand. Most specs boost a certain weapon. So to max your potential you would takr that elite spec in combination with that weapon.

I think of elite specs as powers that a magic wielding character can channel (all characters wield magic) and which grant the ability to wield a weapon with which the character is not formally trained...and of course a character can channel only one such source of magical power at a time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

One new weapon needing different skills, or at least different balance, for nine professions multiplied by nine new weapons....the balance nightmare would be something to behold. And you know there would be complaints if each profession didnt receive its own unique thematic skills for the weapon. After all the different professions are meant to have their own themes and playstyles even when using the same weapon as another class.

So 9 weapons times 9 professions times 5 skills = 405  new skills to attempt to give their own identity and while being balanced against each other.

Huh? Why do you multiply it with 9 new weapons?

Also i think OP is talking about how the "new" weapon is locked behind the elite spec. Meaning its only new for that profession. All those skills already exist and are ingame. Or am i missing your point? Xd

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I think of elite specs as powers that a magic wielding character can channel (all characters wield magic) and which grant the ability to wield a weapon with which the character is not formally trained...and of course a character can channel only one such source of magical power at a time.

Interesting approach. I like it. 

I wonder what the official lorewise explaination is by the devs. 

Just now, Cronospere.8143 said:

Huh? Why do you multiply it with 9 new weapons?

Also i think OP is talking about how the "new" weapon is locked behind the elite spec. Meaning its only new for that profession. All those skills already exist and are ingame. Or am i missing your point? Xd

9 weapons (which is the established pattern for expansions) x9 professions (as each prof would use the weapon differently as described in my post) = 81 x 5 skills per iteration = 405 skills x 3 expansions to date = 1215 new skills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

While I think it's fine for us to unlock that weapon by fully learning a new specialization, restricting the weapon to that spec only is a mistake.

Some elite specs don't even use the weapon that they unlock, whereas other specs might synergize well with them.

Huge wasted opportunity, I hope they'll change their mind about it someday.

Well, that's wrong. It's not a mistake. You just don't like that design restriction. There are reasons for this. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Locking the weapons on specializations is, in fact, the right choice.

Imagine Necromancers where allowed to play Pistol/Torch. That's be a disgusting combo.

And than you have professions were all specialization weapons are mutually exclusive:

Engineer got two main hands and one two-handed, they have no way to use them together.

Warrior got three off hands and one main hand, making 75% of them mutually exclusive.

Ranger got two two-handed weapons and a main hand, making them mutually exclusive.

Revenant got two-hands and an off-hand, making them mutually exclusive.

Thief got two two-handed weapons and one main-hand, making them mutually exclusive.

Only Necromancer, which already over-performs, would really benefit from de-coupling weapons from specializations.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

16 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

So 9 weapons times 9 professions times 5 skills = 405  new skills to attempt to give their own identity and while being balanced against each other. And three elite specs, 1215 new skills so far.

Ok but hold up, some weapons have 5 skills and some just 2.  Also isn’t it the idea to just unlock the weapon only to remaining especs of the given class? Core weapon skills never change for especs (apart from virtuoso sword 3 maybe) and ambush/dual skills which are not widespread.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

If they "unlock" the new weapon from the spec, their balance work will quadruplicate lolz.

imagine offhand warrior pistol #5 on a berserker... or the elementalist sword, will be a huge mess.

Not gonna lie, though, I would have fun with GS herald, or maybe a GS/SB power renegade. That said, I like the idea of the weapons being tied to the specs.

• Haha 1

Someday when they run out of weapons to use for elite specs, they'll have the ability to reuse those weapons for newer specs by changing what skills you get based on selected specializations (kind of like it is now). At that point you'll either have already quit (because who knows the future) or be at least twice as annoyed by this fact due to not liking this design decision and being unable to call it a mistake as easily.

• Haha 3

On 5/11/2022 at 11:42 PM, Aodlop.1907 said:

Uhm... you can use the skin on any profession. There are no restrictions. The ascended weapon itself can also be used by any profession that has access to that weapon type.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

11 hours ago, Vavume.8065 said:

You misunderstood.

Yes, after reading some of the responses, it became painfully obvious that I have. 😄

20 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Locking the weapons on specializations is, in fact, the right choice.

Imagine Necromancers where allowed to play Pistol/Torch. That's be a disgusting combo.

Having all spec weapons available to the profession as a whole, regardless of their selected third trait line, would definitely increase the problem of balancing immensely.

Had they stuck to GW1's skills system, there wouldn't be an issue and weapon choices wouldn't be so limited.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6