Why use Skyscale if I have the Raptor and Springer?

10 hours ago, SamuelW.2685 said:

Also BONUS QUESTION, am I even farming gold right in Drizzlewood? I've just been selling crafting mats I get from the metas and pledging to a legion, I sold stuff for about a hour yesterday and made 35 gold before the stuff I didn't insta sell, so its probs closer to 40 gold, so  am I doing Drizzlewood right

Edited by Infinity.2876
  • Confused 1

you really do not fully realize how big change skyscale can make until you have it. when i had mine, i noticed that the world was full of minor nuisances that slowed down moving around, and now i suddenly could get around all of it so much quicker, and i had not even realized how much i needed a skyscale.

yes, raptor and sprigner can do some jobs skyscale does, but skyscale is far more effective and versatile. you do not have to switch between mounts, you can fly above ground which allows you to usually avoid combat completely, you can climb vertical walls and reach places not even springer can reach.

also skyscale does not require as precise aiming as springer does. i mean have you ever tried to land on some branch with springer, and repeatedly missed it? with skyscale you do not have that problem, because you can carefully just maneuver skyscale on top of the branch. and if you miss, you just drop down a bit rather than having to try again all the way from the ground.
oh and most importantly: dragons cool.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mutisija.5017 said:

also skyscale does not require as precise aiming as springer does. i mean have you ever tried to land on some branch with springer, and repeatedly missed it? with skyscale you do not have that problem, because you can carefully just maneuver skyscale on top of the branch. and if you miss, you just drop down a bit rather than having to try again all the way from the ground.

Or you can just get snagged by a random branch while on your skyscale when you really aren't wanting to.  😆

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Infinity.2876 said:

If you use bond of faith it actually loses 75%of your height because you can't mount or glide for a short duration. You can essentially get the same results on a springer. Hot maps are better if you have a skyscale because you don't risk falling off ledges. Skyscale also benefits of you want to get to a safe spot quickly in densely enemy populated areas. Also skyscale is required for the legendary amulet, vision.

75% is a bit of an exaggeration. 😉

And I find Springer into Griffon much clunkier.

All mount are good and help player a lot.

I call raptor and springer are starter mount 

Jackel may be ground version of  raptor with evade

skimmer is sea or surface version with heal

griffon sky version standard 

skyscale is upgraded version of mount with versatile ability .  ( all rounder )
skiff is only water version.

What good point ? It can help you do complete map achievement faster than switch and switch.

it can correct if you miss a jump and fall. Skyscale still fly or hang a cliff. You has 2nd chance.

also not die when fall from high zone if you ride skyscale . You can try with raptor and springer

• Like 1

When I was doing it with my wife, she kept asking if getting the skyscape was really worth all the stuff you have to do.

Then we got the skyscale fully mastered and there was no more talking of if it was worth it or not.

• Like 3

Will try to list all the main advantage of other mounts first:

• Griffon - Incredibly fast movements in open areas with enough elevations.
  • Jackal - Blinking for evading enemies and very fast movements up short slopes. Can use sand portals for fast travels. Falling off a cliff? Blink to safety.
  • Raptor - Most fun mount on uneven terrain. Able to leap over a large distance, change directions in mid-air and stop on a dime. Pulls all nearby enemies in. Personal favorite especially when farming in maps such as Bitterfrost.
  • Roller Beetle - Zoom! Zoom! Traverse across small area of water. Breaks barriers.
  • Siege Turtle - Structures with breakbar? Piece of cake.
  • Skimmer - Great for underwater travels and explorations. No fear of quicksand. Like Griffon and Skyscale, will not be dismounted when falling from an extreme height.
  • Springer - Great initial CC on bosses.
  • Warclaw - Deliver good damage on groups of enemies with Battle Maul in PvE. Exclusive mount for WvW.

Now for Skyscale's advantages in no particular order (consolidating all points posted above):

1. Better climber than Springer. With mastery, can reach heights that Springer cannot.
  2. Pinpoint landing
  3. In hostile territories, excellent for afk.
  4. Quick at evading melee mobs.
  5. Ability to mount in mid-air - similar to griffon.
  6. Best at navigating uneven terrains.
  7. Better flyer than the Griffon.
  8. Able to view vast areas of the terrains for faster movements to objectives.
  9. Combination use with other mounts such as Griffon - gain height and switch for faster travels.
  10. Will not be dismounted if falling from great heights. Similar to Griffon, Skimmer and Jackal's blink.
  11. Only mount able to collect volatile magic from reality rifts effectively.
  12. Annoying crowds in safe area by hovering just above and behind them - filling up their screens and deafening them with the sound from wing flaps.
  13. Showing off your new skin by hovering without any inconsiderate Charr or Norn blocking everyone's view.
  14. Be lazy and let others do the major work. Then land before the fight is over to get credit/loots. Notably at Ley-Line, and formerly at Dragonstorm as well.
  15. Being copied by that other MMO.

None of the other mounts compare in versatility to a Skyscale.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Thon.3780 said:

What good point ? It can help you do complete map achievement faster than switch and switch.

Although my main mount is Skyscale, I actually find it most useful when used in combinations with other mounts. With keybinds, dismounting and changing to next mount which are better suited for the terrains can be done very fast with no loss in movements speed. Change to Raptor, Beetle, Griffon on-the-fly as the situations require.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Lots of good replies here. The one thing I didn’t see is how useful skyscale and griffon can be together.

Skyscale to get height, then the skill that gives you stamina to get even higher, bond of faith, mount griffon in midair, and zoooooom.

I never thought of that 🤔 I will have to give it a try sometime 👍

Why use a skyscale as opposed to switching between a raptor and springer? 

Because switching is inconvenient and takes, at best, a couple extra seconds and a few extra clicks, that could have otherwise been skipped completely. At worst, it means being drawn into combat the moment you get off one mount, and having to fight it out before you can get on the next. Which can be quite annoying, especially when trying to rapidly move from one mini boss to the next and get there in time to get participation credit. 

The Skyscale is a more fluid streamlined experience, that enhances your QoL(Quality of Life) while playing. The question you should be asking, is why switch when you don't have to? I rarely even use my springer and raptor anymore.

Also you cant just say the combo of the raptor and springer can do everything the skyscale can, because they cant hover in mid air, or propel themselves off a vertical wall with no platform to land on. These two factors make it extremely useful to gain height in places where the springer cant. As well as maintain height, which again, the springer(or griffon, the other flying mount) cant.

The hover ability is also extremely useful for AFKing near a place where you are waiting for an event to spawn, or lossing agro so you can use waypoints. Note: you cant waypoint while hovering, but it makes it easier to get to a place where enemies cant hit you.

Edited by OtakuModeEngage.8679
  • Like 1

Skyscale is completly optional. But since i have her i don't use my springer anymore(which i personally hate because of his awkwardness)

On the other hand do i scream sometimes at my skyscale when she hold onto nothing, or little grasshalms and stuff ... but always better then this frustrating(cute but heck frustrating) springer.

• Haha 3

Skyscale > Raptor & Bunny.

It's ok to not make it since it's optional and therefore you don't really need it. But you can't compare the flow and QoL given by the Skyscale with the two basic mounts. 

After getting the Skyscale I only used the bunny to CC Qadim's pylons, right now I can do that with the turtle therefore the bunny mount is non existent for me. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Just fyi Griffon is actually the only mount that can indefinitely gain height with some tricks. So technically is a better flyer. But you need to be precise to pull it off and need more space (vertical and horizontal space).

How can it be a better flyer if there's so many conditions/restrictions? It does excel in certain area but overall, it's definitely not a better flyer.

• Like 1

Bnuuy makes fast hops, bumps head on ceiling, only useful for pinata. 

Skyscale flies steadier than gryphon, has better verticality than bnuuy, and is the best "overall" mount. Not the fastest, but it gets you past terrain almost entirely without question. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent.6137 said:

How can it be a better flyer if there's so many conditions/restrictions? It does excel in certain area but overall, it's definitely not a better flyer.

I mean I agree. Depends a bit on what you define as a better flyer. Just wanted to point out Griffon has a trick with which you can climb higher than you initial diving point which leads you can climb indefinitely. Players will often say GW2 has no flying mount because all start to lose altitude at some point and need to land at some point. Technically you can overcome that with Griffon with a nifty trick (shortest dive to superspeed, hold dive while initiate climb, 3 flaps - you end up higher as you started if you are precise). Is it practical to use? Not really.

• Like 1

If the temporary skyscales around the Dragonfall map don't wow you, then I wouldn't invest the time and effort right now.  I put off getting mine for a really long time, and I don't have any regrets over waiting.  It's nice to have and has proven useful for lazily getting to points the springer has trouble reaching (anything that's not mostly vertical or is just a little bit out of its reach), but is pretty much "extra" in every way.  Even when it comes to flight, I think the griffon is more fun and interesting.  If I hadn't waited until I was motivated to take on the quests, I'd have found them an unbearable slog.  It is a really good mount.  Probably too good.  But it's also completely unnecessary, and you shouldn't feel like you have to burn your valuable personal time on it if it doesn't interest you.  It's probably not going anywhere if you change your mind later.

Edited by Clockwork Bard.3105
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

For me, it's replaced the springer. I still use raptor in towns, beatle out in the open, skimmer and doggo situationly. Wasn't that much of a grind imo. Just a month of daily collections. Once done grab a free Scale and join the farm trains while in Dragonfall. You'll miss 70% of what's happening but give you an taste of what's to come. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought the same thing at the skyscale's release. I thought it doesn't have a unique use like everything else does. It doesn't do speed like the griffon/beetle, griffon already flies, raptor already has the dash, and springer can already jump.

And that's the point. It's a jack of all trades. It's so much easier to use the skyscale for most content instead of switching between mounts (which could put me in combat depending on the area). After unlocking it I was surprised at the amount of time I use the skyscale compared to every other mount. I never use the bunny any more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 9:16 AM, Silent.6137 said:

A better flyer than a griffon.

On that point I'd have to disagree lol. I love both mounts, and on a short distance within the flight-bar range of the skyscale? Yeah skyscale does the job easier than griffon if you struggle with precise griffon landing. But when you need to go any real distance or have to navigate down/around/back-up through a series of obstacles, griffon will get you there a lot quicker once you get the hang of it. It can also, when used right, fly forever unlike a skyscale which must land regularly to reset its flight bar. Just check out any of the griffon stunt flying vids on youtube to see what it's capable of. I've had an absolute ball cruising my griffon through the branch/root mazes of Echovald whenever a zipline has given me a convenient ride upwards. Or I'll just use the skyscale/bond of vigor as a launch platform upwards to then hop on the griffon and zoom away. 😄  (on a side note, if anyone wants help/advice on learning to get the most out of griffon, there's a number of griffon guilds that run regular workshops)

Back to skyscale tho. Yes it's not needed in general, but having it is definitely nice. I still use springer in those places where the skyscale would just annoyingly get stuck on/cling to things. Just like I still usually cruise around on my raptor or Jackal on flat ground. But when you get into areas where you're going to have to do a lot of diagonal navigation (upwards as well as across) skyscale is king if you find constantly swapping mounts a struggle. I'd say if you're not in a rush to get a skyscale, just do a little bit at a time each day or every other day, and when you're at the Saddle stage of it, just do the Season 4 "Return to" achievements to tier 3 if you've not done them already, to get an easy 250 of each map currency you need for the saddle 🙂