What will EoD be remembered for?

1 hour ago, Ezrael.6859 said:

Terrible story with U.S. politics and gender issues forced into it; feels like it was written by teenage girls.

Any chance you elaborate on this. I usually can sense modern political and social garbage in games these days but i never really noticed it in this out side of a few gay couples hinted at.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Any chance you elaborate on this. I usually can sense modern political and social garbage in games these days but i never really noticed it in this out side of a few gay couples hinted at.

I think that person refers to "Beat up the bigot" as a story step (bigot being a somewhat americanised term that can break the fantasy feeling), the "lets go punch some fascists" event in Echovald with the purity ghosts ( with fascism being a quite specific real world term that reasonably is unlikely for a Tyrian to know, while also possibly referencing how some radical social media presences like to talk about punching nazis), the atypical gender orientation of Yao ( and the fact Anet did nothing interesting with it aside from making Yao shouting about being an a-gender engineer somewhat awkwardly at the end of the Kaineng meta), and possibly Snargle's ex colleague complaining about Snargle being "so toxic".

Just what I can think off from the top of my head, I am sure there is more.

Edited by Wielder Of Magic.3950
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Wielder Of Magic.3950 said:

I think that person refers to "Beat up the bigot" as a story step (bigot being a somewhat americanised term that can break the fantasy feeling), the "lets go punch some fascists" event in Echovald with the purity ghosts ( with fascism being a quite specific real world term that reasonably is unlikely for a Tyrian to know, while also possibly referencing how some radical social media presences like to talk about punching nazis), the atypical gender orientation of Yao ( and the fact Anet did nothing interesting with it aside from making Yao shouting about being an a-gender engineer somewhat awkwardly at the end of the Kaineng meta), and possibly Snargle's ex colleague complaining about Snargle being "so toxic".

Just what I can think off from the top of my head, I am sure there is more.

Yes i did notice that, its a bad term to use on someone who has different views to you. It is accurate but rude. Should have been "beat up the purist" means the same thing.

I didn't even know Yao was some weird gender, i've only completed the Kaineng meta once.. i never see it or it fails 99%.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The craziest thing about EoD is that they wanted the maps to feel dead. If they were going to half the population caps, they should have made smaller maps or split the metas into their own maps (considering they confirmed the cap for DE was balanced for the meta).

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, eyelogix.1654 said:

Are we playing the same game? 

Genuinely my only real problem with the story was it felt rushed and the intro to Cantha felt a bit awkward like we were a tourist or something, I enjoyed everything beyond that point though and found the characters mostly likable. Everyone getting all twisted up by muh politics in videogames and I just don't care about any of that so I was able to enjoy it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8

For me it’s been an expac of ‘get it then forget it.’

- Got the turtle week 1 - have not ridden since

- Have not done DE meta since and don’t plan to

- Maxed my skiff - have not used since first month

- Maxed fishing - will never engage with this again

- Got the 1 legendary I want - won’t bother with skins; too much needed for too little 

Still having fun though - I was away a long time so I’m going back to do the things you all were doing the last five years.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/8/2022 at 1:30 PM, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Genuinely my only real problem with the story was it felt rushed and the intro to Cantha felt a bit awkward like we were a tourist or something, I enjoyed everything beyond that point though and found the characters mostly likable. Everyone getting all twisted up by muh politics in videogames and I just don't care about any of that so I was able to enjoy it. 

The problem really is there is too much talking, if EoD had a skip dialogue button the only time you'd actually play the story is about 2 boss fights and a mansion quest. I afk'd through the Jade bot introduction (Just had to move between talk spots), and in Aborstone the npc's killed the mob. (even got the achievement while not playing). Nothing like say LW4 (the games actual best story). 

Speaking of rushed, what is truly concerning is we had a rushed end to IBS for this rushed expansion, only for them one month into it to announce the next one. Its all seeming like its been a bit too rushed. 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gorem.8104 said:

The problem really is there is too much talking, if EoD had a skip dialogue button the only time you'd actually play the story is about 2 boss fights and a mansion quest.

I've played through the story until getting the Tier-1 Jade Bot Core (in Kaineng) on all my 9 characters and got **really annoyed** by those unskippable dialogues (and recordings). Also various story steps won't progress when arriving at a location too early, because you already knew.

It's probably easier to "brute force polish" the product from the outside by adding loads of voice acting, than to actually deliver high quality. 

Edited by xlion.3065
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gorem.8104 said:

The problem really is there is too much talking, if EoD had a skip dialogue button the only time you'd actually play the story is about 2 boss fights and a mansion quest. I afk'd through the Jade bot introduction (Just had to move between talk spots), and in Aborstone the npc's killed the mob. (even got the achievement while not playing). Nothing like say LW4 (the games actual best story). 

Speaking of rushed, what is truly concerning is we had a rushed end to IBS for this rushed expansion, only for them one month into it to announce the next one. Its all seeming like its been a bit too rushed. 

I agree season 4 was the best, but I felt like the expansion had the strongest of the non living world stuff. As for being rushed, well I think there's a lot of executive meddling going on. Have to keep pushing for the next big thing to hype up. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

I agree season 4 was the best, but I felt like the expansion had the strongest of the non living world stuff. As for being rushed, well I think there's a lot of executive meddling going on. Have to keep pushing for the next big thing to hype up. 

Season 4 was the peak in story. For me Anet should go back to the roots what GW 1 made great. Gw 2 EoD was cringe. For the next Expansion and S6 i really hope that the story get more mature (again) and that the devs simply stop with introducing USA Internal Politics into the game. This game is more played from peoples who aren't in the US. Gw 1 had a pretty Mature World and Story and so is S4 which was much more mature too. EoD in the other hand feels like a bad disney Movie.

Edited by Yunari.9065
  • Like 13
  • Confused 1