What will EoD be remembered for?

11 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

Anet again, for the 10th time, forgot they're making a MMO and designed a do it once then done single player expansion.

I disagree.  Anet has the metrics to know what their target audience is.  Time and again, we see pretty much the same style of content, so those numbers must be telling them where they will make their most revenue.

• Like 1
  • Confused 8

16 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I disagree.  Anet has the metrics to know what their target audience is.  Time and again, we see pretty much the same style of content, so those numbers must be telling them where they will make their most revenue.

Metrics could also lead to short term earnings which destroyed some games or at least depopulated them. Most important is to when checking your statistic to remember that players wants to have fun. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Flasterko.4087 said:

Metrics could also lead to short term earnings which destroyed some games or at least depopulated them. Most important is to when checking your statistic to remember that players wants to have fun. 

True.  And I believe that Anet knows what the majority of the players enjoy which is why they continue to release this type of content.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

How is it that they follow their metrics BUT do the same mistakes over and over again? And i'am talking here from content that gets nerved and nerved again. Or content which gets shut down, so they can bring new content that will later also be shut down because they don't spend time on it. When they really follow their metrics, shouldn't they know better?

What are these numbers and statistics you and obtena, and a few others are talking about, which anet follows? I really want to believe anet knows what to do, but i don't see any straightforwardness in anet's actions except that they make the same mistakes over and over again.

But i gues making mistakes and wasting money on stuff which is dead after a year brings them more money ...

I wish every job would work this way ...

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

How is it that they follow their metrics BUT do the same mistakes over and over again? And i'am talking here from content that gets nerved and nerved again. Or content which gets shut down, so they can bring new content that will later also be shut down because they don't spend time on it. When they really follow their metrics, shouldn't they know better?

What are these numbers and statistics you and obtena, and a few others are talking about, which anet follows? I really want to believe anet knows what to do, but i don't see any straightforwardness in anet's actions except that they make the same mistakes over and over again.

But i gues making mistakes and wasting money on stuff which is dead after a year brings them more money ...

I wish every job would work this way ...

they dont do the "same mistakes again over and over". this is targetly done to make players lose their patience and swipe the credit card for obtaining gold instead of farming. The reason why they keep doing it is because this scheme works with too many players.

Why should a game studio care for real player numbers content when 50% of the players are the owners of 2 or more accounts?

Why bring any gaming content when the players think that they "support the game developement" by buying cheap skins from the store for overprice?

Store revenue is good = acknowledgement to make more store content.

Noone in arenanet thinks "we have good store revenue so lets make good gaming content" they think "store revenue is good so lets develope more cheap to produce store content". Store is successful so they keep focus on store.

I still can remember back in the days when the devs played wvw on twitch stream in one night they got asked how the life as a anet dev is like and one of the devs said honestly that they work alot, often overhours, the payment is rather low and if the devs want to bring any own ideas of content into the game they often need to develope this in their freetime without payment cause otherwise they cant bring it into the patches as this thing is tight fisted ruled by cash strategy.

anet is a typical us-company organised after tight profit center mentality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

15 minutes ago, SlateSloan.3654 said:

they dont do the "same mistakes again over and over". this is targetly done to make players lose their patience and swipe the credit card for obtaining gold instead of farming. The reason why they keep doing it is because this scheme works with too many players.

Why should a game studio care for real player numbers content when 50% of the players are the owners of 2 or more accounts?

Why bring any gaming content when the players think that they "support the game developement" by buying cheap skins from the store for overprice?

Noone in arenanet thinks "we have good store revenue so lets make good gaming content" they think "store revenue is good so lets develope more cheap to produce store content". Store is successful so they keep focus on store.

I still can remember back in the days when the devs played wvw on twitch stream in one night they got asked how the life as a anet dev is like and one of the devs said honestly that they work alot, often overhours, the payment is rather low and if the devs want to bring any own ideas of content into the game they often need to develope this in their freetime without payment cause otherwise they cant bring it into the patches as this thing is tight fisted ruled by cash strategy.

Yeah, thats probaly True. I don't want to know how much money they make alone by the BLK-sheme...

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

The Skippable Expansion that caused a division in a lot of players by trying to combine playstyles that shouldn't mix and being very alt-unfriendly.  

To be fair , the raiders created the division , with their longterm discussion that they don't want 1111 content .

And now that the dust have settled and most don't do it , they demand more rewards (lol)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Core: All the things wish I knew the first time around.

Season 1: Did I miss something? Yes, I did.

Season 2: Shiny crystals! And too much Silverwastes.

HoT: Glad I did not experience it at release. It aged well.

Season 3: I #&*% as a warrior. The pain, the agony!

PoF: GW1 nostalgia. Mounts: best features in game.

Season 4: Best time of my GW2 life. Skyscale.

IBS: The acronym says it all.

EoD: Most frustrating meta ever one MUST go through. Jade bots. Endless Research Notes Grind(TM).

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Luci.7018 said:

To be fair , the raiders created the division , with their longterm discussion that they don't want 1111 content .

And now that the dust have settled and most don't do it , they demand more rewards (lol)

What I find hilarious always with that argument is that you can out-dps a majority of players in open world by some classes just using 1, as using more then 1 in certain setups actually reduces your dps. 
And I agree, cause the thing is even day one I saw people doing all mechanics correctly and still failing, and yet the fights still only been nerfed just enough for raiders essentially to complete it most of the time, who are doing it despite the massive lack of rewards while every single other person has left the zone. 

EoD needed another year of polish. IBS should have been given another year. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

HoT was the most MMO expac and had the highest revenue GW2 has ever made.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

11 hours ago, SlateSloan.3654 said:

You do realize the swiping credit cards is what pays the Devs and adds more content right, if no one did there would be no game at all.. The shareholders lose money the whole thing disappears.. or goes into maintenance mode like Guildwars 1..

6 hours ago, Harfang.1507 said:

Core: All the things wish I knew the first time around.

Season 1: Did I miss something? Yes, I did.

Season 2: Shiny crystals! And too much Silverwastes.

HoT: Glad I did not experience it at release. It aged well.

Season 3: I #&*% as a warrior. The pain, the agony!

PoF: GW1 nostalgia. Mounts: best features in game.

Season 4: Best time of my GW2 life. Skyscale.

IBS: The acronym says it all.

EoD: Most frustrating meta ever one MUST go through. Jade bots. Endless Research Notes Grind(TM).

Pretty much spot on with me as well. 💯

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

You do realize the swiping credit cards is what pays the Devs and adds more content right, if no one did there would be no game at all.. The shareholders lose money the whole thing disappears.. or goes into maintenance mode like Guildwars 1..

No, giving a company more money does not mean they put more resources and funding back into the game.

Very naive to think this in 2022.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 5/29/2022 at 1:30 PM, Kozumi.5816 said:

No, giving a company more money does not mean they put more resources and funding back into the game.

Very naive to think this in 2022.

I never said that, i said paying money funds the game. Not how much the devs add or take away, Paying no money funds its end.

When i said more i meant future content. Not a larger amount of content.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 2

On 5/28/2022 at 12:52 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

Anet has the metrics to know what their target audience is.  Time and again, we see pretty much the same style of content, so those numbers must be telling them where they will make their most revenue.

Game metrics only show them what content is done/played in the game but not why players do it and if it is fun for players that do it.

And metrics have to be understood and have to be analyzed in combination. Example: The DE-meta success rate increased. That's a good thing. But if this is just because only a few organized groups/guilds try it and most of the other players are frustrated and just gave up on this than it probably is not such a good thing at all.

And: To decide what their target audience is, is a business decision (if it is wrong it will cost Anet money/revenue in the future). No metric can make that decision.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 5/29/2022 at 2:00 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

This is factually not true. Both the original release and EoD made a LOT more revenue than HoT.

What is your source for that statement?

Anet announced that EoD sales were higher than PoF sales but they did not mention HoT in that statement. If EoD sales would also be higher than HoT sales Anet would have said that.

And looking at the quarterly GW2 sales starting from release (numbers are taken from official NCSoft reports) in this diagram (yes its a discord image link):
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/685436537827098645/974557513645174844/gw2-sales-2012q3-2022q1.jpg
it is obvious that HoT sales were a lot higher that EoD sales and EoD sales were only slightly higher that PoF sales. There are already some threads that discuss some reasons for this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

What is your source for that statement?

Anet announced that EoD sales were higher than PoF sales but they did not mention HoT in that statement. If EoD sales would also be higher than HoT sales Anet would have said that.

And looking at the quarterly GW2 sales starting from release (numbers are taken from official NCSoft reports) in this diagram (yes its a discord image link):
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/685436537827098645/974557513645174844/gw2-sales-2012q3-2022q1.jpg
it is obvious that HoT sales were a lot higher that EoD sales and EoD sales were only slightly higher that PoF sales. There are already some threads that discuss some reasons for this.

my source is the quarterly financial reports from NcSoft. But I checked it and I took the wrong number, so thanks for bringing this up. Still, their quarters are quarters for their financial years so I don't think they correspond to the normal quarters. I'll look into this.

Edit: can't find it yet, however, I would find it strange that EoD hasn't created a peak, so I don't think that we will see it until Q2.

Also in spite of my error, the original game release made a lot more money than HoT so that still stands.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Still, their quarters are quarters for their financial years so I don't think they correspond to the normal quarters. I'll look into this.

quarters are still quarters (q1 is  Jan,Feb,Mar, q2 is Apr,May,June,...), even if the fiscal year is different than the calender year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

quarters are still quarters (q1 is  Jan,Feb,Mar, q2 is Apr,May,June,...), even if the fiscal year is different than the calender year.

fair enough. I can't find it differently so you must be right. Still, I can't help but feel that the peak of EoD has been delayed to Q2 in some way. Anet's saying that it's their best selling expansion and then numbers are much like any normal quarter, so that doesn't make sense. I don't think NcSoft is lying about that since it would be lying to their investors as well and it would be a rather obvious lie.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

HoT - gliding, elite specs, gen 2 legendaries introducted.

PoF - mounts, more elite specs.

EoD - antique summoning stones, affordable mystic coins, gen 3 legendaries introduced.

So essentially gold and shinies...

EDIT - ok mount energy booster and gliding booster are worth mentioning.

Edited by Curunen.8729
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1