New Legendary Skins BONKERS. Feels unobtainable.

Crafted the legendary, looking to get the first skin. Before you can even start you have to buy the four splinters. 100 spirit shards, ok. 10 ambergris, ok. 350k karma, a little steep but can make that up at Christmas. 10k research notes, WHAT A JOKE. Did someone add too many zeros to that number? Are we expected to pay this for all of the skins?

I just sunk everything I had plus what two friends had into trying to get this and still only got 9400 notes. Even if it's not expected to be a one and done thing and it's over time assuming you don't have the gold, this would be months of time spent trying to achieve this and quite a grind. Am I the only one that finds this wild??? 

Edited by mzsquatu.2601
Clarification
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 7

I'm guessing they settled on 10K research notes before they nerfed the easy ways to get them, and now it's just ridiculously time-consuming and expensive.

You know, I was watching Bellular's take-down of Diablo: Immortal last night, and a lot of the monetisation strategies employed there are exactly the same as in GW2, yet people seem to give GW2 a pass.

Most of them are ways of accelerating progress towards goals, and are exact parallels to the legendary or other acquisition paths in GW2.

I wonder how many people bypass the material grind for the various gifts by just breaking out the wallet. I suspect it's a LOT higher than the community would have you believe.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 16

2 hours ago, mzsquatu.2601 said:

350k karma, a little steep but can make that up at Christmas. 10k research notes, WHAT A JOKE.

I have 20kk+ karma so it's not a big deal (I play this game 4-5 years now), but I agree with that 10k research notes...
I made 1 gen3 legendary weapon with a Zhaitan skin, and no more. As the cheapest option to get the notes is (was) currently with the mithril accessories. The problem with it is that they does not stack and I had ~50 empty bag slots and had to salvage them one by one (it's good that now we have a salvage stack option, but why not salvage all blue/green items like normal salvage kits?). It took me 3-4 HOURS to get all 10k notes (not talking about the money that it costed ~100 gold, other options would have been ~250g back in the day, don't know the current prices).

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I'm guessing they settled on 10K research notes before they nerfed the easy ways to get them, and now it's just ridiculously time-consuming and expensive.

You know, I was watching Bellular's take-down of Diablo: Immortal last night, and a lot of the monetisation strategies employed there are exactly the same as in GW2, yet people seem to give GW2 a pass.

Most of them are ways of accelerating progress towards goals, and are exact parallels to the legendary or other acquisition paths in GW2.

I wonder how many people bypass the material grind for the various gifts by just breaking out the wallet. I suspect it's a LOT higher than the community would have you believe.

Tell me how you can buy power in GW2. 

Power on a level that F2P needs years to grind for. 

Enlighten me how Gw2 is P2W on the same level as Diablo immortal. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

It seems trivial otherwise, no? 

I thought ascended armor / weapons gave you quite a bit of research notes--seems if you just craft / salvage that you'd have them in no time.  

Dont know how much they generate but I thought it was trivial in general? Craft food by the thousands, salvage. Time consuming true but then again dont get me started on the amount of wood needed when I made a stupid longbow... 

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

It seems trivial otherwise, no? 

No.

5 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I thought ascended armor / weapons gave you quite a bit of research notes--seems if you just craft / salvage that you'd have them in no time.  

Crafting Ascended armor and weapons is not exactly cheap, and even though they give a lot of notes at once, the price makes it one of the most costly options available. Unless you happen to have some lying around that you no longer need, it's not an option you should seriously consider. Btw, you get how many notes per armor, 200? That's 50 armor pieces you'd have to craft and salvage. Most people will never craft that many in their whole gw2 gaming history.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 5

40 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Tell me how you can buy power in GW2. 

Power on a level that F2P needs years to grind for. 

Enlighten me how Gw2 is P2W on the same level as Diablo immortal. 

While the rewards may be different, the means to get them are not.

The end game rewards in Diablo: Immortal are power and cosmetics.

The end game rewards in GW2 are QoL and cosmetics.

The mechanisms to monetise those end game rewards are identical, meaning you either spend an unreasonable amount of time grinding towards your goal, or less time and lots of money.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 17

14 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

The mechanisms to monetise those end game rewards are identical, meaning you either spend an unreasonable amount of time grinding towards your goal, or less time and lots of money.

Big difference between power and QoL! This is not comparable. 10k notes is absurd atm due to the clunky nature of salvaging them but I'm calling bull on comparing GW2 to Diablo Immortal. I see the connection you are trying to make and simply don't agree.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Putting Power = QoL is kinda wierd tbh.

But i just looked at the Crafting Cost for legendary Weapons. Holy moly it dropped hard.

Bolt is just 1000g.

The Shining Blade 1600g.

Aurene's Fang 1800g.

1000g for a legendary Sword is insanly low. Last time i checked it was at 1400g.

I highly question how such low prices are seen as unreasonable.

I got my gold almost exclusively over WvW, the least rewarding Gamemode by far. And i menaged to get a Full legendary armory pretty easy. And if all legedaries drop around the same , then i payed about 40% more for them.

How much money is Drizzle wood these days? 60g per hour?  So you could farm a legendary in less then a day if you grind.

Again, how is it "unreasonable amount of time grinding" when legedary cost are THIS low.

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 7
  • Confused 6

5 minutes ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Big difference between power and QoL! This is not comparable. 10k notes is absurd atm due to the clunky nature of salvaging them but I'm calling bull on comparing GW2 to Diablo Immortal. I see the connection you are trying to make and simply don't agree.

...yet I'm guessing you're still chasing legendaries in some capacity or another in the absence of any other end-game reward?

The people who designed these systems at ANet realised it didn't matter what end game rewards actually were. People would pursue them anyway. So it being power or QoL or cosmetics is neither here nor there to them. They know they'll catch the whales no matter what.

That the community has fooled itself into thinking that because it's not power it's okay is all the better for them.

Edited by Mungrul.9358
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Crafting Ascended armor and weapons is not exactly cheap, and even though they give a lot of notes at once, the price makes it one of the most costly options available. Unless you happen to have some lying around that you no longer need, it's not an option you should seriously consider. Btw, you get how many notes per armor, 200? That's 50 armor pieces you'd have to craft and salvage. Most people will never craft that many in their whole gw2 gaming history.

My own salvaging recently gave me from 275 to 625 notes per ascended armor piece. In average it was 467 notes per piece.

But I agree, this makes only sense if you have unused ascended armor that you no longer need.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Putting Power = QoL is kinda wierd tbh.

But i just looked at the Crafting Cost for legendary Weapons. Holy moly it dropped hard.

Bolt is just 1000g.

The Shining Blade 1600g.

Aurene's Fang 1800g.

1000g for a legendary Sword is insanly low. Last time i checked it was at 1400g.

I highly question how such low prices are seen as unreasonable.

I got my gold almost exclusively over WvW, the least rewarding Gamemode by far. And i menaged to get a Full legendary armory pretty easy. And if all legedaries drop around the same , then i payed about 40% more for them.

How much money is Drizzle wood these days? 60g per hour?  So you could farm a legendary in less then a day if you grind.

Again, how is it "unreasonable amount of time grinding" when legedary cost are THIS low.

This whole post is just laughable, and ignores reality.

The majority of players don't play GW2 for 16 hours a day, and don't have the free time to be able to.

The majority of players have never seen the amount of gold you're throwing around in the entire time they've been playing.

It's so out of touch and a mirror of real-world capitalism, where those in a position of privilege have no idea how the rest of the world works.

It's just tragic.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 14

3 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

This whole post is just laughable, and ignores reality.

The majority of players don't play GW2 for 16 hours a day, and don't have the free time to be able to.

The majority of players have never seen the amount of gold you're throwing around in the entire time they've been playing.

It's so out of touch and a mirror of real-world capitalism, where those in a position of privilege have no idea how the rest of the world works.

It's just tragic.

You don’t need to play 16 hours a day to acquire legendaries. That’s a gross over exaggeration. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, mzsquatu.2601 said:

Crafted the legendary, looking to get the first skin. Before you can even start you have to buy the four splinters. 100 spirit shards, ok. 10 ambergris, ok. 350k karma, a little steep but can make that up at Christmas. 10k research notes, WHAT A JOKE. Did someone add too many zeros to that number? Are we expected to pay this for all of the skins?

I just sunk everything I had plus what two friends had into trying to get this and still only got 9400 notes. Even if it's not expected to be a one and done thing and it's over time assuming you don't have the gold, this would be months of time spent trying to achieve this and quite a grind. Am I the only one that finds this wild??? 

The notes are about 100gold though, is this really that much? The process of obtaining them might be pretty dull and repetitive, but claiming that they're unobtainable when their cost really isn't really that steep seems a bit misguided. It's a legendary skin, making it vastly cheaper would make it easly too good of a deal considering you'd just get 7 skins for next to nothing.

1 hour ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

How did you manage to make the base weapon which is several times more expensive?

Seriously, OP, you've paid almost 1,8k to craft the base weapon, but claim that you and your 2 friends can't gather enough resources for notes, which is... about 100 gold.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 7
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

For an ugly skin omg..

If that's the case for you then at least you finally have nothing to complain about here, right?

...so why do you keep complaining about it? 😅

9 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Buying a skin vs buying power. That's just a bad comparison.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

So it being power or QoL or cosmetics is neither here nor there to them. They know they'll catch the whales no matter what.

(...)

That the community has fooled itself into thinking that because it's not power it's okay is all the better for them.

I mean, it looks more like you somehow managed to fool yourself into believing that since "fashion is the endgame here!", then "buying skins = p2w" 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

45 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

You don’t need to play 16 hours a day to acquire legendaries. That’s a gross over exaggeration. 

buuuuuuuut what if you want 16 legendaries in 16 days because anything else is taking way too long and unacceptable? 🤣

• Haha 6
  • Confused 2

• mzsquatu.2601 changed the title to New Legendary Skins BONKERS. Feels unobtainable.
15 minutes ago, mzsquatu.2601 said:

Nice to see the back and forth.  

I understand it is obtainable but at what cost. For players like myself that don't like PVP and primarily focus on PVE I wonder if these player types are finding it as easy to obtain? 

"easy"?  mostly.
But they are meant to be time-consuming, long range goals.

The absolute "easiest" way to get a legendary weapon(other than swiping), is to farm the gold in high value open world PvE meta events, and then to buy one off the TP.
It's not the most fun, or engaging method but it is the easiest.

Edited by mindcircus.1506
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have very limited inventory space and don't want to spend lots of time to salvage into notes, why not craft food or potions? They stack and can be salvaged in stacks. I did it that way and it didn't take me that long at all. Of course, it'll require a chef for food, or an artificer for potions.

However, an option to salvage all crafted weapons or armors, will be ideal.

53 minutes ago, mzsquatu.2601 said:

For players like myself that don't like PVP and primarily focus on PVE I wonder if these player types are finding it as easy to obtain? 

Majority are PvE players. Aside from Gift of Battle, I don't believe you need anything else from PvP.  Other than  Gift of Glory and Memories of Battle, which you can buy from TP.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1