Guild Wars 3

8 minutes ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

If Anet is smart, it will keep updating GW2 engine and try to extent games life that way. I highly doubt, that GW3 would be as popular as GW2, when there are 3 other big MMOs that have way bigger communities and players don't have to start from 0.

I think with the next xpac coming at some point, they might be going for a while longer. We already know that FF14 is supposed to go on for at least 9-10 years more, I don't think that WoW is going away anytime soon (regardless of my opinion on the gameplay).
Why wouldn't Anet try that with GW2? It is somewhat successful.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Lineage 2? Mu Origin? Ragnarok? Vanguard? Bless? MU Legend? TERA? Lost Ark? Elyon? DC Universe? AION? Blade n Soul? UE is one of the most popular engines that can run any style of game.

Aion uses CryEngine.  I don't know any of those games, though.  A quick Google search on Blade and Soul leads to bad performance.  But this could just be confirmation bias on my end.

As I said earlier, UE is a great engine but it's not the end all be all for any type of game.  For MMOs in particular, there are better options, usually home grown because they are vastly more complex and you need full code autonomy.

• Like 2

If you want a sliver of indication of the direction that ArenaNet will head for, it's always good to keep an eye on their careers page:

https://www.arena.net/en/careers

Right now they tell that they have "unannounced project"(s) for "next-gen AAA development", Are amongst other positions looking for people with Unreal Engine 4 experience and DirectX 12 experience.

Ofc, this doesn't always say something. In the past they were hiring devs with experience on major game console systems. Also, we all know that ArenaNet has had unannounced projects for years that were finally axed by NCSOFT. But while GW2 is a great success and can last for many more years as long as expansions/content keep coming, ArenaNet probably knows they have opportunities to either work on a future Guild Wars generation game or an entirely new franchise. For details, if ever, we'll have to wait and see.

Personally I would prefer ArenaNet focusing on Guild Wars 2 expansions for the (long) foreseeable future. I generally prefer to prefer new content for my existing platform and characters than starting over with an entirely new thing.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well if they go for another MMO, hopefully they don’t focus on just one segment of the MMO population and have a team that is capable of maintaining the entire game and producing content for the entire game as well.  Consistency would also be appreciated. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Well if they go for another MMO, hopefully they don’t focus on just one segment of the MMO population and have a team that is capable of maintaining the entire game and producing content for the entire game as well.  Consistency would also be appreciated. 

On the other hand, would another "be everything to everyone" MMO be helpful at this point? It seems to me that model just doesn't work anymore.

I'd rather have a menu of MMOS that each focus on doing something well, and different segments of the population can find their homes in different ones. Of course, there is the risk that one's particular segment isn't large enough to support an MMO.

There's something to be said for finding your minimum viable audience and meeting their needs and desires really well.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2

While I'm all for an engine upgrade and that upgrade alone (despite being virtually impossible), I'm against a GW3 at the moment. GW2 has plenty of life left, as well as plenty of time to revive abandoned ideas and improve existing ones.

2 hours ago, coso.9173 said:

I think it would be huge and hopefully they'd also improve their marketing. I know I'd make the jump instantly.

With their current marketing methods being abysmal, funding GW3's development may cripple the company, lol. Remember the time they slapped a "Heart of Thorns" logo on a toaster and called it marketing? Or that one taxi cab... thing? I sure do.

Edited by Aselia.1325
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I have too much invested into GW2 to leave it for GW3.  If they come out with GW3, good luck to Anet, but I'll pass.

Indeed. And consider that the (despite the criticism of where Blizzard headed in the recent years) "golden standard" of fantasy MMORPGS, World of Warcraft, from 2004 is still on it's original game. I don't see any reason why Guild Wars 2 from 2012 would be too old while WoW from 2004 still gets expansions.

• Like 2

WoW has been mishandled enough i think at one point there's wars over whether or not Classic or Shadowlands (newest expac) did better or private servers did better.

I think a lot of people play for the hour to hour gameplay and if you make a shiny brand new mmorpg with no set up good hour to hour activities. (Like, killing mobs for gold farming vs sitting in a garrison for 8 hrs doing nothing in WOD WoW), you get bored.

Ironically.

WoD Wow i remember Roleplaying was at a peak time high just because people were so bored out of their minds there were legit 20-40 man groups for warrior cat roleplays with druids all the time in wod and legit, no cap, around like 20 different warrior cat guilds for druids and legion fourms to like 2 stormwind military rp guilds and one person who rped as the oddball bear wrestling dwarf, *HIICC. WoD's gameplay was you logged in once a week to raid one boss with one drop you wanted. (Usually Mannoroth for a weapon/trinket and Archemonde for a +3 ilvl / weekly +3% ring stat essence. ). Then you logged out. 

I won't say i don't enjoy taking breaks when you log in forever but blizzard took the exact OPPOSITE extreme of having a world with lots of landscapes you did once to level and never touched again. But had no worthwhile gear, skinning, herbs, or ores to find. And went from a mmorpg where you paid a sub fee to raid 2 bosses in 40 minutes and logged in 10 minutes a day and LITERALLY couldn't do anything worthwhile with 1-10 hrs of gameplay.

To the point they had 40 day timegates on the same quest repeated 40 times in mechagon for gnome rep and bfa turtle rep to get 100 rep of 40k exalted so you could use flying mounts again. 

Activision Blizzard is fully complacent on milking it though. I remember WoW employees would be on the fourms thinly veiled callings players "greedy, entitled, LAZY, sobbing WHINERS!" for complaining about pathfinder followed by complaints people just didn't want to play a mmorpg without mounts to waste time after a 9-5 to save their 6-10. They had bizarre fixactions on cutting development costs to increase stockholder profits, calling players entitled, trolling the alliance fanbase by giving the horde vulpera and full health regen zandalari trolls while the alliance got kulterans/"fat people" and "diaper gnomes".

Then they'd completely professionally go and say stuff like. "Yeah go cry whiny alliance crybabies, we're the devs, we heard your feedback, you want the vulpera? You want Sethilak? You want even Naga or the original wotlk mecha gnomes (full metal) vs metal diapered mechagnomes? You get fat people, it suits you!" 

Wasn't exact words but they would pretty much go. "You think we're making this game to make you happy? HAHAHA, my boss has monetization metrics for me bud. You'll [WOW playerbase] will buy it anyways regardless of what we do to it. If you don't like it, just quit, hahaha!"

Anyways my eyes were pretty much rolling out of my head at that point and i admit, it took a year to find gw2. (I was playing dishonored 1 + 2 as well as hundreds of free games on steam and epicgames as well as some tf2 and overwatch and also messing around with some old mmorpgs like SWTOR and rift and archeage and neverwinter knights. As well as getting into sc2 coop and f2p hearthstone.. But it was a chore.

(Tl;dr: Just some stories about WoW employees trolling their own playerbase and playing other games. Skip it if you want.

(My brain's natural thought process just adjusts to my hand's literal 237 wpm/apm. So 5-10 minutes of personal thoughts do tend to come out multi paras i'm well aware most people take 20-40 minutes to read... Working to make a brain speak in less words is like trying to drive 2 mph in a car that goes 80 mph. sigh. I got it from Wow specs, hence the disappointment more actions don't = more reward in gw2 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

On the other hand, would another "be everything to everyone" MMO be helpful at this point? It seems to me that model just doesn't work anymore.

I'd rather have a menu of MMOS that each focus on doing something well, and different segments of the population can find their homes in different ones. Of course, there is the risk that one's particular segment isn't large enough to support an MMO.

There's something to be said for finding your minimum viable audience and meeting their needs and desires really well.

The model still works fairly well. The issue with focusing on just one segment is that you lower the amount of players that would try the game as well as keep playing. Imagine how much more successful GW2 could have been from the start if they had content for all of the player segments and continually provided updates and new content consistently for those players. 

Do the positions advertised actually mention a MMO title anywhere? It would make more sense to me if this is a spin-off project in a slightly different genre - it's very risky to abandon the existing GW2 content and start over just for the sake of a different engine.

• Like 1

Lol

Just change the camera angle .

Create GW1 characters that can move by clicking in theground location.

Force the characters ranged spells ,to shoot "locked" forward , like the the bugs that happened in old Flamethrower 2 (that you couldn't manually aim and didnt clip throught the ground).

Scale down the general graphics

And boom you have a moba game

Edited by Luci.7018