Why do people think Beetle/Griffon users are Suffering without a skyscale? They're 2-3x faster and FUN And Don't sap will to live unlocking! :)

Do you believe Springer Griffon/Beetle users are living in pain without a skyscale?   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe Springer Griffon/Beetle users are living in pain without a skyscale?

• No, those mounts are fun!
    • My main form of transportation is a waypoint. What's a mount???
    • Yes. They just don't know it yet.
    • I don't want a bird, i want a dragon! Not negotiable!
  2. 2. Did you enjoy or look forward to the skyscale grind?

• Yes, I LOVE long and lengthy, unneeded grinds. And i wish every scavenger hunt quest was 400-800 parts repeated in the same map 5 times rather than 10-40 items completable in a day :D
    • I thought it was fun for the first 40-100 parts or so.. Then it kinda felt like it dragged on.
    • I would rather remake a new character leveled 1-80, gear it up in full ascended with crafting 1-500. raid in blues, and then delete the character rather than redo the skyscale grind EVER again.
    • I would do it again just for fun! :D It was my idea of awesome!

There's a surprising amount of drama over saying I enjoy a fun mount over a discount wow experience. Griffin and beetle will ALWAYS be fun mounts with custom physics added in that make gw2 unique. Skyscale will always be a semi pointless time waste to get a 50% speed wow mount with a single barrel roll. All pieces of viper ascended gear done and priorities in line.

Plenty of people being salty because I can use more than one mount and use 2 apm to press buttons to flap and laugh is quite hilarious.  Please tell me again how you've never tried another mmorpg and sky scale is the ultimate mount, when its pretty much just a weak half speed wow drake with half speed that is the "ultimate" flying mount that needs to land 4x more often and can't even "fly" without losing height? 

There are tips and tricks there. It's actually kinda ironic. Coming from a place like sc2 where all players strive for 100-200+ apm. Players will grill each other over differences as minor as 5% and ask for replays and grill others over a 1 second worker delay or 5% pve dps comp. Here people will advocate for gear with 40% of the dps, mounts that travel 50% of the speed. And forgoing critical gear unlocks for frivolous purchases. Hmm. I wonder if perhaps something as mundane as apm and wpm translates loosely into a greater reading comprehension.

It appears many people will insist you are missing out if you do not perform the same play as them.  Suboptimal or not. I find other unlocks more important in order of budgeted time for unlocks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

You can try the demo sky scale if you want in dragonfall. Its not that mind blowing. Its a slow mount that moves 5 mph with two okay dive rolls. Its pretty much a lethargic half speed wow mount for anyone who's played more than 1 rpg with a crippling half speed addiction. I came to gw2 to play the unique mounts and hunt something practical. Sky scale is good for one button one mount users. Im a multi key bind users. Using a mount I want is literally one key press at whim, pretty much letting me use whatever I want to travel as fast as I want on flats, regenerate energy in a second with a Griffin swap.

Allowing me to zip anywhere I want on flats where beetle dominates and on heights where 5-20 seconds of prep let Griffin dominate sky scale had its niche for one mount users or hovering and map reading. But I still find it hilarious people insist I have to want a slow discount version of a wow mount I've already had for years lmao. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I don’t think the skyscale is necessary. I like all the mounts, and have them all individually keybound so I can switch on the fly to the optimal one for where I want to go.

I will point out, though, that evaluating the skyscale by the “rental” is not useful. It’s a different experience when you’ve mastered it.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The skyscale collection didn't feel like a grind to me.. like all big collections, I did a little bit each day and eventually I got it. I feel like the term grind is used way too loosely. A grind is just killing the same mob over and over for exp. There is no grind in gw2. I think some people just hate the game, they don't know how to deal with their emotions so they lash out in attempt to justify their own internal conflict. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

You can try the demo sky scale if you want in dragonfall. Its not that mind blowing. Its a slow mount that moves 5 mph with two okay dive rolls. Its pretty much a lethargic half speed wow mount for anyone who's played more than 1 rpg with a crippling half speed addiction. I came to gw2 to play the unique mounts and hunt something practical. Sky scale is good for one button one mount users. Im a multi key bind users. Using a mount I want is literally one key press at whim, pretty much letting me use whatever I want to travel as fast as I want on flats, regenerate energy in a second with a Griffin swap.

Allowing me to zip anywhere I want on flats where beetle dominates and on heights where 5-20 seconds of prep let Griffin dominate sky scale had its niche for one mount users or hovering and map reading. But I still find it hilarious people insist I have to want a slow discount version of a wow mount I've already had for years lmao. 

While you’re entitled to your own opinions, I would just like to point out that the skyscale you can borrow in dragonfalls do not feel like the upgraded skyscale. It would be like renting a raptor and claim the leap is too short. Or renting a springer and claim it jumps too low so not worth the effort to get. The upgraded mounts are better. That goes for all the mounts.  

now back to enjoying griffon flight! Griffon is a lot of fun indeed. I will point out though. When I use skyscale to climb to places I can’t reach with springer, the griffon gets a lot more fun 😛 and jumping off skyscale in air, use jade bot to go higher then use griffon and dive down is really fun to do as well! 

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 4

NO! Dont put mount unlocks in the gemstore store. Just blegh. 

Also your poll is designed so everyone will answer in your desired way.

A true gw2 user will know when you need a certain mount. Thats true. Skyscale is amazing for short manouvers. To get from A to B quick. While the other mounts are amazing to get from A to Z. 

Keineng City best example. One of the most worst places to play with a skyscale. This is where the griffon/springer combi absolutely shines. Most PoF places are amazing with beetle. Same as gendarran fields. 

The skyscale will shine in other parts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

And who exactly is judging anyone for their mounts in a video game? Funnily enough, you seem to be the only one doing that. I have my skyscale but I believe every mount has it purpose and sometimes I use the others in its place. But, yes, the skyscale has become my default ease of access mount. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1

Don't have Skyscale or Griffon yet.  I do love my Raptor and Springer and they help with everything in my way of playing.

Still, I do work on unlocking them but leave that up to what I wanna do that day, so to speak. So question 2 was hard to answer.

I may or may not run into trouble gold wise or mats, or other. But as long as I enjoy what I'm doing, there is no right or wrong. Heck only tried Jackal a few times and it's growing on me exproring new maps with the portals (yes, i was slow on getting what the protals were for before trying the jackal). 

• Like 4

I'm not reading all that, but you have to pay 250g and more importantly you have to do the PoF story to get Griffon. Screw that. I will stick with my Skyscale.

Also Skyscale "grind" is just timegated. The actual required tasks aren't that much. Charged Quartz is not a problem because you can just buy the food and if you planned ahead and made it  (and that thing's been out for years, a non-issue). The other charged quartz doesn't even have to be spent as long as you can do some JPs, and even if you can't you  can sometimes even sell the food back for a profit.

Plus there are certain achievements you will get more easily if you actually played some maps before.

Map currency is irrelevant after the Return events.

So unless you're quitting the game in 30 days I don't see the issue.

P.S. Balthazar did nothing wrong. You killed him and did what he was going to do anyways! Also, praise Joko!

P.P.S You don't need any of these mounts.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

There's a surprising amount of drama over saying I enjoy a fun mount over a discount wow experience. Griffin and beetle will ALWAYS be fun mounts with custom physics added in that make gw2 unique. Skyscale will always be a semi pointless time waste to get a 50% speed wow mount with a single barrel roll. All pieces of viper ascended gear done and priorities in line.

Plenty of people being salty because I can use more than one mount and use 2 apm to press buttons to flap and laugh is quite hilarious.  Please tell me again how you've never tried another mmorpg and sky scale is the ultimate mount, when its pretty much just a weak half speed wow drake with half speed that is the "ultimate" flying mount that needs to land 4x more often and can't even "fly" without losing height?

It appears many people will insist you are missing out if you do not perform the same play as them.  Suboptimal or not. I find other unlocks more important in order of budgeted time for unlocks. 

A: I think it's more of you trying to insult anybody who likes the Skyscale or anything but Griffon and Roller beetle by implying they can't handle speed or multiple actions at once?

B: I've yet to see anybody be salty toward you from glancing over this thread?

C : I've yet to see anybody imply you are missing out by not having the skyscale?

6 hours ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

The Skyscale isn't as fast as a dive boosted griffon sure, but it's hardly slow. Must you constantly exaggerate?

And seriously, the only thing I see here that's annoying is how you appear to insist anybody who doesn't use a griffon or beetle in peak speed and accuracy is... lesser. Dumb even.

What people are insisting you have to want the Skyscale? Do show them off?

2 hours ago, Jools.6293 said:

And who exactly is judging anyone for their mounts in a video game? Funnily enough, you seem to be the only one doing that. I have my skyscale but I believe every mount has it purpose and sometimes I use the others in its place. But, yes, the skyscale has become my default ease of access mount. 

Pretty much. I think he wants somebody to come preach the glories of the Skyscale and try to put him down, but nobody is. Skyscale is useful in some situations, the griffon is great at others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

I like doing achievements and collections. I don't matter that these have many steps. I only dislike collections / achievements that require highly difficult content to progress them. Like some collections requiring raid boss kills or some collections requiring completing the Chalice of Tears jumping puzzle.

• Like 1

I'll repeat here what I said in the big other thread:

I don't remember unlocking the Skyscale as terribly hard, following a YT guide to it. I would not want to have missed that experience though, it should stay as it is.

Once you have it, the game transforms. Yes, it's slow. but it gets you everywhere except on and under water. It opened up the HoT maps for me to 100% completion. It's this unique ability of it to go UP in a much more controlled way than the springer, and if you fall....well, you don't, since it flies.

I've got all mounts fully unlocked with their masteries, but unless a quest requires the use of a specific one, I end up using only three: The Skimmer for everything on and under water, the Siege Turtle for everything, well, siege and the Skyscale for everything else. Yep, Beetle is fast, but needs mostly flat ground, Raptor is similar. Springer has been made obsolete by the Skyscale. Jackal is a pain to use for me.

Well, of course I use the Beetle to smash through walls and the Jackal to pass sand portals.

Edited by LesserHellspawn.3160
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Griffon still Master Mount, no discussion.

Unlike the Skyscale it CAN gain altitude. But it takes a lot of practise.
How many "Skyscale Guilds" do you know, compared to Beetle and Griffon guilds? 

I do however have the skyscale, on 4 accounts. It is overrated how extensive the grind is. Specially nowadays where you can get your currencies through Return To achievements AND work on a legendary at the same time.

My main advise on Skyscale is: Check first what is all needed on the Wiki... The larger collection part (Skyscale of Ice etc etc) Unluck them ALL first before starting will save you a TON of backtracking. 

The main difference: Skyscale is a handy all rounder... but boy is it a boring mount. There is nothing exciting about it. Where with Beetle and Griffon, practise makes perfect. 

But then again, same can be said for other mounts, compared to those 2. Beetle and Griffon are the fun mounts and extremely handy to have as well. 

The only thing I always correct people on, is the false assumption that "Skyscale makes Griffon Obsolete" that is just said by people that never bothered for a second to truely discover the Mighty Griffon.

And yes, I do that too, try to do courses for beetle, skimmer, etc on a Griffon... So much FUN!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

Careful.  He may add words…. 🤷

Oh no, READING, the most fearsome thing of all! You better be careful! I might be like a reverse death note, where instead of writing people's names to kill them. I simply forget to include arbitrary punctuation marks to write where they need to breathe and they might die! Oh no, the horror!  XD 

(Does no one find it weird you need to put marks in written words, to indicate where people should breathe. While reading rates and writing rates can drastically vary so much? Still seems hillarious lol. ) 

10 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

now back to enjoying griffon flight! Griffon is a lot of fun indeed. I will point out though. When I use skyscale to climb to places I can’t reach with springer, the griffon gets a lot more fun 😛 and jumping off skyscale in air, use jade bot to go higher then use griffon and dive down is really fun to do as well! 

As far as things go, i think what was starting off as a meme overtook the thread. Day after day i saw posts about how life was 'incomplete' without the skyscale and yet after trying the griffon with masteries and the springer tricks, what was once meant to be a filler has turned into one of my most favorite mmorpg mounts of all times. Whenever i show someone from another mmorpg the griffon, everyone gets hooked, the flight is so fun, the mounts are unique, coming from WoW. what people had before for nearly 10 years was a pretty boring wow mount. It flew anywhere at 300% speed, but there were no flight physics, there were no abilities. There was no crapsucky endurance bar and half speed features.

4 hours ago, LesserHellspawn.3160 said:

Once you have it, the game transforms. Yes, it's slow. but it gets you everywhere except on and under water. It opened up the HoT maps for me to 100% completion. It's this unique ability of it to go UP in a much more controlled way than the springer, and if you fall....well, you don't, since it flies.

Fair enough. :P, that's why good balance isn't usually making one option superior to all and the other's useless.  But making each unique and useful. Everyone has their preferences. When you start new, some people might just pick what they like based on looks. Raptor and jackal for instance, are seen as some of the more redundant. (Jackal has *slightly base* walk speed and faster/immediate turning with portals. But is about like 95% the speed of a raptor using leaps. ).

To some people, 95% movement speed is pretty much the same mount. So they pick whatever they like between dog or raptor.  But then people who study the minute details who learn the mounts over time will pick favorites for XYZ reasons. For instance, the jackal can avoid fall damage by teleporting and rapidly turn sharp 90 degree corners with a blink, sometimes excelling in sharp turn races where the 5% faster raptor lags.

Meanwhile, the engage of the raptor will group enemies together for easier aoe for some classes, while the jackal can provide a surprisingly generous 9k hp barrier for engaging with it that can provide almost +40-66% more hp to some squishy players or players who prefer the barrier over 3k grouping dmg.

Each mount has their uses, just some are clearly highly personal preferences fine. You can see people who go Jackal either for 9k barrier or "dog look prettty! i want a dog", or raptor for faster bursts of speed and 5% general faster speed and mob grouping for quicker aoe. 

3 hours ago, azorean.1850 said:

OP trying desperatly to convince himself he doesnt want skyscale and failing miserably - Person #7 

Haha, Sure generic commenter #8, Tell yourself whatever you'd like about how i must secretly in pain or jealous of a discount knockoff experience item i MUST be jealous about. 🤣.

I miss not having skyscale as much as you would miss having a car that drives 3x slower. If that gives you a good idea lol. Hardly at all. The currencies are already 5/7 done, the seasons unlocked. It was apathy that made me go. "Eh.. I know i'm just going to unlock this thing and barely use it with my personal playstyle. Why on earth do i want to waste time on a mount that moves slower that i know i'll unlock, and barely use. Ooh, i think i'll finish my set of full ascended viper armor today, finish my ascended weapon set, hmm. do strikes and raids with my friends, and then find something else to do and fly around on my griffon again for fun and tour drizzlewood coast again at mach 5!"  The only "suffering" i have not having skyscale is enjoyment.

The only thing keeping me from completing it is knowing i'd spend like 2-4 more days unlocking content i could see myself feasibly using.. maybe a few times a day for a 2 second roll?  For the bizarre situation where i'd want to fly into the air where nothing is there. Afk and do nothing. and i have to get to a spot that has no nearby terrain but doesn't have anything there either. How many situations are there like that. It's more like not wanting to walk a mile to pick up a cup of hot water when i already have ice cold nectar in my hand. Griffin and beetle are so fun for me to use, i get so spoiled and feel so apathetic about grinding to get a discount experience enough to not care about it even though i'm pretty much already halfway there with all timegates, 5/7 currencies done. I just can't be bothered. I did my ascended and raiding and strikes and fractals first. 😛 

I'll finish it when there's nothing else important to do and i just completed a full ascended armor set.  But fair point to some commenters to do some of the passive unlocks so they just auto complete like turtle. On terms of priority, finding the best fashion set for my ascended armor tmog is a higher priority than unlocking a dragon i'll probably barely use heh. XD (well it's 2 seconds faster for 5 second trips... But so is raptor who i never bother with lol. ) 

To everyone who plays wow. the skyscale is pretty much a 33-50% speed of the default wow mount with a crippling inability to 'fly' without landing every 10 feet to 'recharge'.  WoW was so notorious for people flying up to the skybox whenever they felt like it, people got bored of it. It was more memorable to show your character swimming midair on a 300% speed wow flying mount than to like actually show the mount. Flying a half speed version is boring and generic. Fast mounts are far more fun and unique to a wow player. 

And i'll still have time to make it back for dinner and look at the mountains while i wait for the rest of the group to catch up to a 5-10 minute journey i flew to in 2 minutes! 😄 Woe is me, i'm so miserable being so happy and having so much fun! If this is what pain is like, i want MORE of it! WHEEEEE!! XD 

To someone from WoW, the gw2 Griffon and beetle are always the attractive mounts. They're highly individualistic unique mmorpg mounts with lots of features that come off as a fresh breath of air. So many years have i flown a wow dragon, that's basically just a 200%-300% speed skyscale with no abilities, that comparing the skyscale is like trying to insist someone must be jealous of a car that drives at 1/3rd the speed when you got bored of using the same car to go everywhere for 10 years. The skyscale to me is pretty much what a slow escalator with a waiting line is, to a racetrack to me.  And i love the speed of the mounts, they're tons of fun to use and constant enjoyment.

My current priorities are to have fun, grind, just yesterday i completed 6/6 armor pieces to finish my ascended viper's main set. Completed a series of collection to unlock my ascended viper bow. Did a series of dungeons to collect my nightmare runes. Did i use skyscale to fly into the dungeon? Hmm. Nope. Just teleported there. Did i need to travel to get my runes. YUP. How did i? Oh, i just jumped up a hill in 10 seconds with a springer, and with 2 springer jumps i was ready to go mach five and at my destination in a few minutes. (Well. By few. i literally mean half a minute. Since it's just so fast that even a literal 1-2 minute griffon flight is a literal 1-3 map zones)  

(Skyscale, Just is a pretty unurgent priority for me i already pretty much have half unlocked, + 5/7 currencies. but just dont' really honestly care about the chore enough to complete for a mount i'll probably barely personally use.) 

In other words, instead of looking as skyscale as something urgent, i looked at where i'd use it. Determined i might barely use it a couple places to save a couple seconds on my current style. Weighted my personal/raiding priorities and decided i'd rather have the +30%-40% dps gain from getting a ascended set of viper armor over the starter celestial set. And that i'd rather prefer to do more damage than have a dragon i might use sometimes to climb a tiny hill, or afk midair.

Since i couldn't afk midair, i simply went to tp to the pvp zone where i merch and can make +50-200g a day for logging in. Not having a skyscale teaches me good habits instead of using a 'crutch', so to speak from the sc2/wow terms. Where just because something is easy, doesn't make it better when more challenging play is encountered. 

The other mounts are actually pretty fun and it's more intended to show people that OTHER mounts exist out there. And if you keybind or use multiple. There's tons of fun tricks that can  DRAMATICALLY increase your performance to anyone who's game to use a few buttons. But if you only want to use one, go ahead. I'm just saying for the last time to generic commenter #7. I already have the thing halfway done, already have 5/7 currencies. The only emotion i felt was apathy and more of a "meh.. if im dismounting it now to use my other mounts. i know i'm just to unlock it. barely use it. and then do something else again." 

(A good craftsman imo, knows his tools to their best potential. To another. If a brick 'opens' a door. It's their favorite key???) 

I'm the kind of person who likes to use every thing to their max potential, so specialist mounts rock for me. In Sc2, you don't measure infantry melting flamethrowers by how useless they are against long range siege tanks.

You use tools to their best advantage. Hellbats for zerglings swarms and Liberators to counter siege tanks are pretty basic ideas.

So using a griffon for air and a beetle for land comes to me about as natural as using a zergling for ground, hydralisks for air, a nuke for a heavily crowded base, and siege tanks for defense or assault. It's natural for me to use each tool to the best of what they do, and pretty easy. I use radial mounts so i just literally press z to use my last mount (beetle/springer), and V for my default mount (Usually griffon). And if i want to use another mount, i literally just press z, move a mouse 2 inches and have it. 

# (Glad to see more people trying out new mounts, and unlocking them even ingame too!) 

As far as things go, I enjoy reading the worthwhile discussions where people discuss the mounts themselves and their uses. the virtues each one has. Even if it's a opposing viewpoint, but it explains why they love the mounts they use and their habits, those are fun to read.

Some of the dime a dozen posts that are just "i dddnt red bu i kno u env mi"  are just as much a waste of time for both parties as the sentences or dictionaries they're not able, or don't want to read. I guess you may think of that as insulting. But if a person is unable to read, unwilling to read, and their only contribution is saying they can't read.. That's.. Not much of any potential conversation.

You can't really have a meaningful discussion imo to "I HAET REESDING, TYEP WRDE LLESSS, NO wnt tlk to UUUUUUU!!!!"  ... Is that really even a conversation you can have? What am i supposed to do to 'communicate' with that?, speak typoed caveman(???) 🤔

But i do know a ton of people who after these posts, have noticeably have been talking tons more about how to get griffon and beetle ingame. They're sharing stuff about how they saw some people doing cool tricks and zipping mach 5 on the griffon and beetle, going anywhere they wanted to, all from a couple of videos on the internet and springer tips and asking about +20-30% energy regen mount chips. 🙂 

Last night, i went to help 2 people with their legendary facet bounty so they could get their griffon, while i helped another person find the mob they needed to unlock their beetle, while we slayed a bounty achievement i needed for my ascended bow, and now i have full ascended armor, 1/3 weapons done, and then afterwards we did our daily strikes and raiding again. I had a pretty good time and im glad to hear more people are trying them out in masse and having fun ingame! 😄 

Those are my priorities, doing my daily raids and strikes with my guildmates and friends on the few hours i have each day to play, raiding, strikes, fractals, helping them get their gear unlocks. And helping them with their bounties and vice aversa. (I was soloing champions down to just 5% hp sky from death messing with builds until they wanted to hop on and get it done before the strikes and daily reset hah. ) 

Anyways, im gonna go hit my daily raids and fractals and work on my other weapons and play with my friends again. They always have raids and strikes on resets, those are my priorities over grinding a already half unlocked, mostly pointless dragon (to keybounded multi mount users) i'll probably barely use.

Anyways, GL HF all (Good luck, have fun!). Do.. Whatever you want to do what whatever abilities or content you enjoy best!  it's raid time! 🙂 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Skyscale allows you to climb anywhere. Combined with the stamina regen skill and jumping off of walls, there is no cliff too high to get up to. Depending on the map it's what I do before I use Griffon to fly across to the other side. Skyscale+Griffon combo is actually how you can skip some JPs. The one in Siren's Landing comes to mind. Climb up to the top with Skyscale on the opposite side of the map, then fly across and land on top of Abaddon's Ascent. I don't think it will work with Springer, or even if it does, it won't be safe, because one failed jump will mean starting over.

Another reason is, you don't have to get off when having to switch from horizontal to vertical movement. If there are mobs that will aggro and prevent you from mounting up again, you have to kill them, and depending on the kind of mobs, you will have lost 10x the time that you would have saved by going faster with Griffon.

And the ability to hang in the air is also useful for avoiding combat when waiting for someone. For example when you're about to engage with a champion, and are waiting for more people to arrive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

Skyscale allows you to climb anywhere. Combined with the stamina regen skill and jumping off of walls, there is no cliff too high to get up to. Depending on the map it's what I do before I use Griffon to fly across to the other side. Skyscale+Griffon combo is actually how you can skip some JPs.

Another reason is, you don't have to get off when having to switch from horizontal to vertical movement. If there are mobs that will aggro and prevent you from mounting up again, you have to kill them, and depending on the kind of mobs, you will have lost 10x the time that you would have saved by going faster with Griffon.

And the ability to hang in the air is also useful for avoiding combat when waiting for someone. For example when you're about to engage with a champion, and are waiting for more people to arrive.

I mean fair enough yeah. Those are much more thoughtful discussion points than most of the others. Each mount in particular can have it's niches and uses.

While the default mount selection system will push people towards camping one, and see specialist mounts as a tax that can get them stuck in combat, falling off a cliff, or hit by a object or lost, etc.

Multi mounts / (Radial mounts/ Multi keybinds) lets you pick the mount you want for each situation and often just as easily as thinking you'd want a cup of hot cocoa in your hand and having it poof into existance would be. One of the things i've noticed is people often seem to optimize their gameplay about whatever their deemed resource may be. For some, they might one mount that does everything in one button, even if it's a bit slower and could save them 2-5 minutes on a flight by using a hop.

A springer hop and a griffon mount that's just Z Springer + jump + V Griffon  / Z jump V, might be them getting stuck in combat or a mount selection screen for them. 

For me, a major part of how i use the griffon is combining it with the springer. Ironically when i fly around in game, a lot of people actually start copying the same mannerisms, and adopting the springer jump and griffon. Or i'll see 17 people on a raptor train, get on a beetle, zip past. And then the next meta train, 5 people will be on beetles, etc. 

I've actually seen a lot of people adopt the mounts in game when they see others using them, while in fourms. Most people are in camps for the mounts they like to use. Just like some players camp raptor for the 5% faster speed and grouping aoe and easy leaps,

Others will camp jackals, either for love of cosmetics/dogs, slightly faster base walk speed, faster turns/uphills even if 95% overall speed, as well as their ability to provide a aoe 9k hp barrier that can pretty much increase the hp of some squishy 12k-20k hp specs almost twice as much. 

I think griffon and Skyscale might be like another Jackal/Raptor situation, where both mounts CAN do the same general job of the other well enough, while griffon requires more knowledge on how to fly it, and can benefit greatly from tricks / multi mount use and springer dismount tricks. but can be ultimately rewarding.

While skyscale is easy to use, out of the box, but a little slow and has a grind anyone can achieve without raiding content or a singular group bounty and could have been given out a couple years ago. 

Mount choices can be personal, just as much as one person might want a raptor because it's a dinosaur and another person a jackal since it's a dog. Or they like aoe or 9k aoe shields on their squishy mesmer. Use what you like, but outside of getting out of a few excessively tall dragonfall pits. I've been happy enough with my griffin and the springer jump trick to get around anywhere long distance quick.

Though sometimes the roller beetle's combat engage /dismount has a bad habit of sending me flying 10 foot over where i wanted to stop as i fly waiting for the momentum to stop haha. XD. Good thoughtful post, ty for coming by 🙂 

Edited by Sunchaser.9854
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

Oh no, READING, the most fearsome thing of all! You better be careful! I might be like a reverse death note, where instead of writing people's names to kill them. I simply forget to include arbitrary punctuation marks to write where they need to breathe and they might die! Oh no, the horror!  XD 

(Does no one find it weird you need to put marks in written words, to indicate where people should breathe. While reading rates and writing rates can drastically vary so much? Still seems hillarious lol. ) 

As far as things go, i think what was starting off as a meme overtook the thread. Day after day i saw posts about how life was 'incomplete' without the skyscale and yet after trying the griffon with masteries and the springer tricks, what was once meant to be a filler has turned into one of my most favorite mmorpg mounts of all times. Whenever i show someone from another mmorpg the griffon, everyone gets hooked, the flight is so fun, the mounts are unique, coming from WoW. what people had before for nearly 10 years was a pretty boring wow mount. It flew anywhere at 300% speed, but there were no flight physics, there were no abilities. There was no crapsucky endurance bar and half speed features.

Fair enough. :P, that's why good balance isn't usually making one option superior to all and the other's useless.  But making each unique and useful. Everyone has their preferences. When you start new, some people might just pick what they like based on looks. Raptor and jackal for instance, are seen as some of the more redundant. (Jackal has *slightly base* walk speed and faster/immediate turning with portals. But is about like 95% the speed of a raptor using leaps. ).

To some people, 95% movement speed is pretty much the same mount. So they pick whatever they like between dog or raptor.  But then people who study the minute details who learn the mounts over time will pick favorites for XYZ reasons. For instance, the jackal can avoid fall damage by teleporting and rapidly turn sharp 90 degree corners with a blink, sometimes excelling in sharp turn races where the 5% faster raptor lags.

Meanwhile, the engage of the raptor will group enemies together for easier aoe for some classes, while the jackal can provide a surprisingly generous 9k hp barrier for engaging with it that can provide almost +40-66% more hp to some squishy players or players who prefer the barrier over 3k grouping dmg.

Each mount has their uses, just some are clearly highly personal preferences fine. You can see people who go Jackal either for 9k barrier or "dog look prettty! i want a dog", or raptor for faster bursts of speed and 5% general faster speed and mob grouping for quicker aoe. 

Haha, Sure generic commenter #8, Tell yourself whatever you'd like about how i must secretly in pain or jealous of a discount knockoff experience item i MUST be jealous about. 🤣.

I miss not having skyscale as much as you would miss having a car that drives 3x slower. If that gives you a good idea lol. Hardly at all. The currencies are already 5/7 done, the seasons unlocked. It was apathy that made me go. "Eh.. I know i'm just going to unlock this thing and barely use it with my personal playstyle. Why on earth do i want to waste time on a mount that moves slower that i know i'll unlock, and barely use. Ooh, i think i'll finish my set of full ascended viper armor today, finish my ascended weapon set, hmm. do strikes and raids with my friends, and then find something else to do and fly around on my griffon again for fun and tour drizzlewood coast again at mach 5!"  The only "suffering" i have not having skyscale is enjoyment.

The only thing keeping me from completing it is knowing i'd spend like 2-4 more days unlocking content i could see myself feasibly using.. maybe a few times a day for a 2 second roll?  For the bizarre situation where i'd want to fly into the air where nothing is there. Afk and do nothing. and i have to get to a spot that has no nearby terrain but doesn't have anything there either. How many situations are there like that. It's more like not wanting to walk a mile to pick up a cup of hot water when i already have ice cold nectar in my hand. Griffin and beetle are so fun for me to use, i get so spoiled and feel so apathetic about grinding to get a discount experience enough to not care about it even though i'm pretty much already halfway there with all timegates, 5/7 currencies done. I just can't be bothered. I did my ascended and raiding and strikes and fractals first. 😛 

I'll finish it when there's nothing else important to do and i just completed a full ascended armor set.  But fair point to some commenters to do some of the passive unlocks so they just auto complete like turtle. On terms of priority, finding the best fashion set for my ascended armor tmog is a higher priority than unlocking a dragon i'll probably barely use heh. XD (well it's 2 seconds faster for 5 second trips... But so is raptor who i never bother with lol. ) 

To everyone who plays wow. the skyscale is pretty much a 33-50% speed of the default wow mount with a crippling inability to 'fly' without landing every 10 feet to 'recharge'.  WoW was so notorious for people flying up to the skybox whenever they felt like it, people got bored of it. It was more memorable to show your character swimming midair on a 300% speed wow flying mount than to like actually show the mount. Flying a half speed version is boring and generic. Fast mounts are far more fun and unique to a wow player. 

And i'll still have time to make it back for dinner and look at the mountains while i wait for the rest of the group to catch up to a 5-10 minute journey i flew to in 2 minutes! 😄 Woe is me, i'm so miserable being so happy and having so much fun! If this is what pain is like, i want MORE of it! WHEEEEE!! XD 

To someone from WoW, the gw2 Griffon and beetle are always the attractive mounts. They're highly individualistic unique mmorpg mounts with lots of features that come off as a fresh breath of air. So many years have i flown a wow dragon, that's basically just a 200%-300% speed skyscale with no abilities, that comparing the skyscale is like trying to insist someone must be jealous of a car that drives at 1/3rd the speed when you got bored of using the same car to go everywhere for 10 years. The skyscale to me is pretty much what a slow escalator with a waiting line is, to a racetrack to me.  And i love the speed of the mounts, they're tons of fun to use and constant enjoyment.

My current priorities are to have fun, grind, just yesterday i completed 6/6 armor pieces to finish my ascended viper's main set. Completed a series of collection to unlock my ascended viper bow. Did a series of dungeons to collect my nightmare runes. Did i use skyscale to fly into the dungeon? Hmm. Nope. Just teleported there. Did i need to travel to get my runes. YUP. How did i? Oh, i just jumped up a hill in 10 seconds with a springer, and with 2 springer jumps i was ready to go mach five and at my destination in a few minutes. (Well. By few. i literally mean half a minute. Since it's just so fast that even a literal 1-2 minute griffon flight is a literal 1-3 map zones)  

(Skyscale, Just is a pretty unurgent priority for me i already pretty much have half unlocked, + 5/7 currencies. but just dont' really honestly care about the chore enough to complete for a mount i'll probably barely personally use.) 

In other words, instead of looking as skyscale as something urgent, i looked at where i'd use it. Determined i might barely use it a couple places to save a couple seconds on my current style. Weighted my personal/raiding priorities and decided i'd rather have the +30%-40% dps gain from getting a ascended set of viper armor over the starter celestial set. And that i'd rather prefer to do more damage than have a dragon i might use sometimes to climb a tiny hill, or afk midair.

Since i couldn't afk midair, i simply went to tp to the pvp zone where i merch and can make +50-200g a day for logging in. Not having a skyscale teaches me good habits instead of using a 'crutch', so to speak from the sc2/wow terms. Where just because something is easy, doesn't make it better when more challenging play is encountered. 

The other mounts are actually pretty fun and it's more intended to show people that OTHER mounts exist out there. And if you keybind or use multiple. There's tons of fun tricks that can  DRAMATICALLY increase your performance to anyone who's game to use a few buttons. But if you only want to use one, go ahead. I'm just saying for the last time to generic commenter #7. I already have the thing halfway done, already have 5/7 currencies. The only emotion i felt was apathy and more of a "meh.. if im dismounting it now to use my other mounts. i know i'm just to unlock it. barely use it. and then do something else again." 

(A good craftsman imo, knows his tools to their best potential. To another. If a brick 'opens' a door. It's their favorite key???) 

I'm the kind of person who likes to use every thing to their max potential, so specialist mounts rock for me. In Sc2, you don't measure infantry melting flamethrowers by how useless they are against long range siege tanks.

You use tools to their best advantage. Hellbats for zerglings swarms and Liberators to counter siege tanks are pretty basic ideas.

So using a griffon for air and a beetle for land comes to me about as natural as using a zergling for ground, hydralisks for air, a nuke for a heavily crowded base, and siege tanks for defense or assault. It's natural for me to use each tool to the best of what they do, and pretty easy. I use radial mounts so i just literally press z to use my last mount (beetle/springer), and V for my default mount (Usually griffon). And if i want to use another mount, i literally just press z, move a mouse 2 inches and have it. 

# (Glad to see more people trying out new mounts, and unlocking them even ingame too!) 

As far as things go, I enjoy reading the worthwhile discussions where people discuss the mounts themselves and their uses. the virtues each one has. Even if it's a opposing viewpoint, but it explains why they love the mounts they use and their habits, those are fun to read.

Some of the dime a dozen posts that are just "i dddnt red bu i kno u env mi"  are just as much a waste of time for both parties as the sentences or dictionaries they're not able, or don't want to read. I guess you may think of that as insulting. But if a person is unable to read, unwilling to read, and their only contribution is saying they can't read.. That's.. Not much of any potential conversation.

You can't really have a meaningful discussion imo to "I HAET REESDING, TYEP WRDE LLESSS, NO wnt tlk to UUUUUUU!!!!"  ... Is that really even a conversation you can have? What am i supposed to do to 'communicate' with that?, speak typoed caveman(???) 🤔

But i do know a ton of people who after these posts, have noticeably have been talking tons more about how to get griffon and beetle ingame. They're sharing stuff about how they saw some people doing cool tricks and zipping mach 5 on the griffon and beetle, going anywhere they wanted to, all from a couple of videos on the internet and springer tips and asking about +20-30% energy regen mount chips. 🙂 

Last night, i went to help 2 people with their legendary facet bounty so they could get their griffon, while i helped another person find the mob they needed to unlock their beetle, while we slayed a bounty achievement i needed for my ascended bow, and now i have full ascended armor, 1/3 weapons done, and then afterwards we did our daily strikes and raiding again. I had a pretty good time and im glad to hear more people are trying them out in masse and having fun ingame! 😄 

Those are my priorities, doing my daily raids and strikes with my guildmates and friends on the few hours i have each day to play, raiding, strikes, fractals, helping them get their gear unlocks. And helping them with their bounties and vice aversa. (I was soloing champions down to just 5% hp sky from death messing with builds until they wanted to hop on and get it done before the strikes and daily reset hah. ) 

Anyways, im gonna go hit my daily raids and fractals and work on my other weapons and play with my friends again. They always have raids and strikes on resets, those are my priorities over grinding a already half unlocked, mostly pointless dragon (to keybounded multi mount users) i'll probably barely use.

Anyways, GL HF all (Good luck, have fun!). Do.. Whatever you want to do what whatever abilities or content you enjoy best!  it's raid time! 🙂 

tl;dr which is the problem, I think.  Shorter posts, concise and to the point may garner better conversation.

• Thanks 5