August 23 Balance Update Preview

Rubi Bayer.8493

5 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hi all,

The June 28 update highlighted that our approach to balancing professions and combat in Guild Wars 2 has not been fully aligned with the needs and expectations of our community. As we communicated in several posts over the last month and a half, we’re using this an opportunity to take a hard look at our internal processes and revise the Guild Wars 2 balance philosophy. We also added some new leaders into the team to help facilitate that effort. That work is still ongoing, and we look forward to sharing our updated balance philosophy with you as soon as we can.

As we’ve been reading through your feedback on the August 23 preview, it became clear to us that one aspect of the previous balance approach was especially problematic. Specifically, making balance adjustments to PvE builds based on their potential under unrealistic, ideal conditions – conditions that are unlikely to be met unless you’re testing against a golem, or the player is extremely skilled. While these builds can definitely be an issue in a skilled player’s hands, often times the changes have an outsized impact to unrelated builds and average players. With that in mind, we’ll be reverting the changes to mirage in the August 23 update.

This change in approach raises questions about previous changes that were made with a build’s ‘potential’ in mind, rather than the realistic output. We’ll be evaluating those prior changes on a case-by-case basis in future releases. This isn’t to say that we won’t address overperforming builds in the future, but we will focus more on builds that are dominating the meta, rather than builds that could theoretically dominate.

For reference, these are the mirage changes that are being removed from the August 23 update:

Axe:

·         Lingering Thoughts: (PvE only) Torment duration reduced from 4s to 3s.

·         Imaginary Axes: (PvE only) Torment duration reduced from 4s to 3s.

Staff:

·         Chaos Vortex (Staff Ambush) (PvE only) Might stack count reduced from 8 to 5, Might duration reduced from 15s to 10s. Torment, Bleeding, and Confusion duration reduced from 8s to 7s.

Thanks,

Josh

Awesome to hear, hope that means you are inclined to also rever the nerf to possesion of blades that you did when eod came out. It was completely unwarranted for dragonhunter who wasnt overperforming.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, StAllerdyce.3941 said:

Currently, hundred blades is barely worth casting.  With the updates to the GS AA, I'm pretty sure it'll be a dps loss. For a self-rooting skill, that's kinda silly.  Consider looking at that skill.

After August 23rd the Warrior greatsword skill #1 chain is going to have a total power coefficient of 3.35 in PvE. It takes roughly 2.4 seconds to complete this chain. That means the power coefficient per second of this chain is 3.35/2.4=1.39583. By comparison the total power coefficient of Hundred Blades is 5.83 and the ability has a channeling time of 3.5 seconds. Which makes the power coefficient per second for Hundred Blades 5.83/3.5=1.66571.
I'm not sure how you are pretty sure that that will make Hundred Blades a DPS loss over auto-attacking. But I am concerned about the skill #1 chain having ~84% of the DPS of Hundred Blades [or in other words: casting GS#2 instead of auto-attacking is a ~19% DPS increase, if it had no cooldown], when that ability does damage and nothing else (unless anyone wants to consider the self-immobilization to be a benefit). Hell, the auto-attack even applies vulnerability on top of it's damage output.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hi all,

The June 28 update highlighted that our approach to balancing professions and combat in Guild Wars 2 has not been fully aligned with the needs and expectations of our community. As we communicated in several posts over the last month and a half, we’re using this an opportunity to take a hard look at our internal processes and revise the Guild Wars 2 balance philosophy. We also added some new leaders into the team to help facilitate that effort. That work is still ongoing, and we look forward to sharing our updated balance philosophy with you as soon as we can.

As we’ve been reading through your feedback on the August 23 preview, it became clear to us that one aspect of the previous balance approach was especially problematic. Specifically, making balance adjustments to PvE builds based on their potential under unrealistic, ideal conditions – conditions that are unlikely to be met unless you’re testing against a golem, or the player is extremely skilled. While these builds can definitely be an issue in a skilled player’s hands, often times the changes have an outsized impact to unrelated builds and average players. With that in mind, we’ll be reverting the changes to mirage in the August 23 update.

This change in approach raises questions about previous changes that were made with a build’s ‘potential’ in mind, rather than the realistic output. We’ll be evaluating those prior changes on a case-by-case basis in future releases. This isn’t to say that we won’t address overperforming builds in the future, but we will focus more on builds that are dominating the meta, rather than builds that could theoretically dominate.

For reference, these are the mirage changes that are being removed from the August 23 update:

Axe:

·         Lingering Thoughts: (PvE only) Torment duration reduced from 4s to 3s.

Staff:

·         Chaos Vortex (Staff Ambush) (PvE only) Might stack count reduced from 8 to 5, Might duration reduced from 15s to 10s. Torment, Bleeding, and Confusion duration reduced from 8s to 7s.

Thanks,

Josh

THANK YOU. I just started raiding with my staff mirage and was devastated by the changes cause I thought the raiding groups wouldn't want me anymore. Happy to still be viable.

• Like 1

Alright
the only reason players love firebrands is because its versatile and can bring too much to the table
if you remember Mantra of Solace Aegis nerf and how did that affect the class negatively technically rending it  close to useless as a tank in some raids aka Xera, Deimos
also in WvW while it used to be the source of Aegis for the squad
FBs switched to some other utilities and play styles to get around this till that point in time it was ok we survived and basically sucked it up and found a way to play the tank and support roles we loved despite the nerf

now if you nerf stab
mantra what will happen is you are technically taking away the thing before last that the class is good at in WvW (the last thing is quickness which is not a big deal in WvW) and basically the most important boon in the game mood

so I see player who main FBs loosing a utility spot for SYG to compensate in raids , its a diffrent story in WvW they will just ditch the class permanently and going to play Either dps which is not exactly great on guardians in WvW big fights or the last viable support class in the game mood which is scrapper
some players will suck it up and play it still in WvW coz the boon is still there somewhere but overall you technically are telling them dont try harder to survive or we will nerf it harder soon

so think about the class and its future , continuity in the population playing a class is what makes it viable for new players to also play when they come to the game 

you going on Steam very soon and I dont think paladin players from other games finding the closest thing close to it in gw2 with players hating the changes to it will encourage them to play it
and lets face it the other two Elites are dps based so the appeal compared to other dps classes is not in favor to guardians at all even after the buffs to power

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

THANK YOU. I just started raiding with my staff mirage and was devastated by the changes cause I thought the raiding groups wouldn't want me anymore. Happy to still be viable.

EDIT: See my other response below. What I said below may not hold any relevance anymore as of today.

I saw what they are going to do with Staff Mirage. It's not the end of the world, but you're not going to be cranking out +25 Might anymore solo. Oh well, glad I didn't make a Gen 3 Staff, but I'm just talking from a solo perspective in having some fun with semi-difficult content. I'm not talking about raids, strikes or the insanity (or greatness) of L*rd H*zen level play. I think you get the idea.

Edited by Tenal.1546

6 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

often times the changes have an outsized impact to unrelated builds and average players.

Ok, time to shoot my shot, then. Another example of this is quickness cata. It was over-nerfed in the process of nerfing DPS cata. It does significantly less damage than other quickness/dps supports, and an easy fix that a lot of people have mentioned is to just remove the -10% dmg debuff from Spectacular Sphere. Catas who want to give quickness are already losing a chunk of DPS by giving up Empowering Auras for Spectacular Sphere even without the -10% debuff. And if DPS cata was the real problem, then it makes little sense to put a damage debuff on a trait no pure DPS cata will take. If you removed the -10% from Spectacular Sphere, qcata would do comparable damage to other quickness/dps specs. Also, cata rotations are pretty busy and considered difficult by many players, but on qcata there's no payoff for it, and it feels very bad to put in high effort only to output low DPS.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

You mean the 26K on a stationary golem with no defiance bar, that has every condition and I have every buff?

Or do you mean the 11K version on a stationary golem that has no conditions except the ones I give it, and I only have my own buffs?

Again stop pretending that its less than 28k, but golem isnt even the point, the point is rifle mech stacking at every part of high end pve content in this game and how it outperforms every single other spec which isnt range and isnt mech... WHILE DOING NO EFFORT... 

Edited by soul.9651
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hi all,

Axe:

Staff:

Thanks,

Josh

Thank you Josh and the rest balance team for listening community feedback. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, stuvvo.4753 said:

I hope you guys consider adding stablility to "Glyph of Equality" without needing to enter celetstial avatar in regards to the ranger.

Stability just needs to be put back on a spirit like it was many years ago now. If Classes like Guardian and Mech get access to stability without having to lose anything, and the plan is to not lower the floor but instead lower the ceiling, then all classes that are support should be able to do support equally without having to lose out on so much versatility in utility slots.

48 minutes ago, Mostafa Rebel.3597 said:

Alright
the only reason players love firebrands is because its versatile and can bring too much to the table
if you remember Mantra of Solace Aegis nerf and how did that affect the class negatively technically rending it  close to useless as a tank in some raids aka Xera, Deimos
also in WvW while it used to be the source of Aegis for the squad
FBs switched to some other utilities and play styles to get around this till that point in time it was ok we survived and basically sucked it up and found a way to play the tank and support roles we loved despite the nerf

now if you nerf stab
mantra what will happen is you are technically taking away the thing before last that the class is good at in WvW (the last thing is quickness which is not a big deal in WvW) and basically the most important boon in the game mood

so I see player who main FBs loosing a utility spot for SYG to compensate in raids , its a diffrent story in WvW they will just ditch the class permanently and going to play Either dps which is not exactly great on guardians in WvW big fights or the last viable support class in the game mood which is scrapper
some players will suck it up and play it still in WvW coz the boon is still there somewhere but overall you technically are telling them dont try harder to survive or we will nerf it harder soon

so think about the class and its future , continuity in the population playing a class is what makes it viable for new players to also play when they come to the game 

you going on Steam very soon and I dont think paladin players from other games finding the closest thing close to it in gw2 with players hating the changes to it will encourage them to play it
and lets face it the other two Elites are dps based so the appeal compared to other dps classes is not in favor to guardians at all even after the buffs to power

They already said that change won't affect WvW after all, see DevTracker 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hi all,

Axe:

Staff:

Thanks,

Josh

Great change 10/10. I'm glad feedback is being listened to about this. 

Perhaps the team could re-evaluate some of the ele *cough* META DEFINING *cough* nerfs as well?

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ndrangles.5183 said:

Ok, time to shoot my shot, then. Another example of this is quickness cata. It was over-nerfed in the process of nerfing DPS cata. It does significantly less damage than other quickness/dps supports, and an easy fix that a lot of people have mentioned is to just remove the -10% dmg debuff from Spectacular Sphere. Catas who want to give quickness are already losing a chunk of DPS by giving up Empowering Auras for Spectacular Sphere even without the -10% debuff. And if DPS cata was the real problem, then it makes little sense to put a damage debuff on a trait no pure DPS cata will take. If you removed the -10% from Spectacular Sphere, qcata would do comparable damage to other quickness/dps specs. Also, cata rotations are pretty busy and considered difficult by many players, but on qcata there's no payoff for it, and it feels very bad to put in high effort only to output low DPS.

Honestly, what are we catalyzing as a catalyst? I don't fully get the name.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hi all,

Axe:

Staff:

Thanks,

Josh

Well well, this is the first Dev post I've put "like" on since June 28 nerfed weaker classes and buffed the strongest while addressing none of the things it was supposed to. Possible Ele buffs? Warrior re-design? Mechanist/FB nerfed so they are not the 2 classes everyone should play otherwise you are actually gimping yourself? 

Real Ranger Changes? Bring One Wolf Pack back to useable condition in pve? 

Like, I would def be one of the many returning to the game if we do see a better balance direction. Getting my hopes up here 😛 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2022 at 1:56 AM, khawki.4205 said:

If you want improvements then suggest them. Saying you had more fun 10 years ago has no way of making impact at current and future state of the game 😉

I can't tell if you are serious. Have you even see the Warrior Forums for the past what, seven years? Core was the only True time Warrior was a fun and good class to play. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Great work on reverting some of the Mirage nerfs!

Please consider something similar for the Specter nerfs coming via venoms that are not outweighed by minor auto attack buffs.

Also, hopefully the backstab change will impact malicious backstab as well.  That is extremely important for a possible Deadeye build as kneeling rifle builds simply aren't practical in many situations for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soul.9651 said:

Again stop pretending that its less than 28k, but golem isnt even the point, the point is rifle mech stacking at every part of high end pve content in this game and how it outperforms every single other spec which isnt range and isnt mech... WHILE DOING NO EFFORT... 

Not pretending. I went into the aerodrome and tested on the golem. I gave two sets of stats, one was the best possible scenario and one was a more realistic scenario. But both had a stationary golem with no defiance bar, no knock-backs, etc, and is unrealistic for open world.

Or are you accusing me of lying?

• Confused 4

On 8/11/2022 at 4:59 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

In group content, venoms can account for as much as 25% of a thief condition damage build's total damage. Their solo damage is lacking in comparison

Hey @Cal Cohen.2358

I've been thinking about this remark a lot today and I'm hoping you can provide some further insight into the reason behind this standpoint - more specifically, what is Anet's design philosophy?

One the one hand we have venoms as part of a core thief condition builds - something that's been there since launch and has been part of condition dps builds for daredevil since HoT. Not once has this ever been contested and it became an integral part of condition thieves identity - you had this unique utility skill where you coated your weapons in toxins that affected the enemy. It made perfect thematic sense and everyone was quite happy that also made thematic sense when applied in group settings.

Now with this patch, it seems as though you're taking something central to condition thieves identities away and instead replacing it with subtle changes to weapon skills and modifiers to traits. I see these changes as if you almost want to eliminate condition thieves identities as having specialization defining utilities that make it stand out among other professions. I'm even wondering if people are going to consider replacing venoms with signets since there are literally no other condition utilities that the thief can bring.

So, with this in mind, it almost feels like you want every profession to have power and condition dps builds that use at least 1 signet so that the gameplay feels almost exactly the same, because heaven forbid a class have unique utilities that make it stand out (like for example banners on warrior, wells that originally provided the only source of alacrity on chrono, barrier that was originally only provided by scourges, aegis that was primarily only provided by firebrands, etc.).

Is Anet's goal to have every profession and build feel like you're experiencing the same game-play over and over (like giving almost all EoD specs teleportation utilities)? Is having unique utilities that define a build or class something that Anet just doesn't want to have in the game anymore?

What is Anet's current design philosophy? More importantly, why has the design philosophy changed so drastically in the past 5 months compared to the past 8 years since HoT?

Edited by Griifen.2473
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Katary.7096 said:

After August 23rd the Warrior greatsword skill #1 chain is going to have a total power coefficient of 3.35 in PvE. It takes roughly 2.4 seconds to complete this chain. That means the power coefficient per second of this chain is 3.35/2.4=1.39583. By comparison the total power coefficient of Hundred Blades is 5.83 and the ability has a channeling time of 3.5 seconds. Which makes the power coefficient per second for Hundred Blades 5.83/3.5=1.66571.
I'm not sure how you are pretty sure that that will make Hundred Blades a DPS loss over auto-attacking. But I am concerned about the skill #1 chain having ~84% of the DPS of Hundred Blades [or in other words: casting GS#2 instead of auto-attacking is a ~19% DPS increase, if it had no cooldown], when that ability does damage and nothing else (unless anyone wants to consider the self-immobilization to be a benefit). Hell, the auto-attack even applies vulnerability on top of it's damage output.

Hundred Blades will be a DPS loss in all game modes over the AA chain if the last attack whiffs on top of the 3.5s self root.

I wanted to emphasize that statement. Hundred Blades is big and flashy, but comes at a step defensive cost that is barely better than just auto attacking. This is not good design and needs to be addressed, in ALL game modes. No, inflating the power coefficient is not the answer.

If it were mobile or had a shorter cast time, it would not have the problem that it does.

Besides the issue with how back loaded the last hit is and how important it is to land, being a 19% DPS increase over the AA chain does not justify the 3.5s self root in a game where actively moving around is the prime means of mitigating damage, again in all game modes.

We've hammered this skill out to death over in the warrior forum. It needs movement, or a shorter cast time with 2s to 2.5s being the generally agreed upon window, or it needs to be a block or evade for the duration. Personally I think a 2s cast would be great, as it would let you squeeze it in during a 2s stun without having to rely on quickness.

The 2s to 2.5s cast time by the way is what would make it damage positive over the AA chain if the last hit whiffs.

• Like 10
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, ZolracAtrox.2908 said:

I'm ok with  most of PvE changes but:

PVE

I see some problems; nerfing core skills in order to nerf a spec is always a bad idea.

For example:

Mech is strong 'cause MECH; nerfing core engi support skills gonna kill Scrapper more than Mech. Nerf the spec, not all the specs. 

PVP

Please; fix PvP. Almost all EoD need a nerf; don't let us with another month with this broken meta, please.

SPECS that need huge nerfs:

*Power Bladesworn

*Pow Catalyst:

*Rifle Mechanist:

*Condi Druid/Soulbeast/Untamed

SPECS that need some nerfs:

*Power Untamed:

Power *Willbender

*Condi Specter:

*Condi Harbinger: 

*Grenade Holosmith:

*Core Support Guard/Tempest Support

SPECS that need buffs:

Firebrand (Not support)

Scourge

Scrapper 

Renegade

Dragon Hunter

Almost all core classes (Rev, Ranger, Engi, Mesmer, Necro, Ele)

in real fight power catalyst suck a little, every knockback, movment on boss make dps lower a lot, because u can't keep EE at 10 stack, thats mean EE should be easier to keep? like 8 stack ?

Edited by Brodix.5214
  • Like 2

I like the direction your going. I'd be interested to see what takes place in future updates towards additional support roles/builds. I know this was something that was discussed earlier in another update. I'm hoping to see specter get some additional love in the area of a true healing support build that's sufficient for larger engagements like strikes and raids. If we could see some additional stability for group content and enhancing either the protection that we're able to provide or a way to provide reliable aegis, I think we could become a suitable contender. Again, this is just my opinion. 

• Confused 1