Well, Steam complaints are starting to flood in...

Crono.4197

The game just launched on Steam and the Steam forums are full with people that are:

- trying to sabotage the game by telling others to stay away from it because it's "pay to win" or other kind of lies

- people that don't understand that the Free to Play factor is only a trial and they expected full access to the game

- people that complain that 100 dollars for a full collection is too much and that "muh favorite MMO is not priced so high", completely ignoring the "no subscription" factor

- people that call the game pay to win after only logging in for a few minutes in it

- people complaining why Living Stories aren't sold separately

- people that complain about wanting regional pricing

Yep, what a great start. People complaining about things they don't understand and don't even wanna try the game first before coming to a conclusion.

I guess that's Steam and mainstream "gamers" for you.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 27
  • Sad 6

Regional pricing a legit problem. 

If I was a new customer, seeing $130 price tag would keep me far away.

It's what also keeps me from spending in the gem store. It's just too expensive relative to buying power.

Best we can do is tell people to try the free version and get them hooked. Then $130. For all the expansions might seem a bargain.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

Did we expect anything else with the way Anet markets? Those of us who have been around awhile now know Anet can't market their way out of a paper bag. And this is Steam, where you grab your popcorn and watch the forums explode, happens to every game, I mean Elden Ring Launched out to mixed reviews and a massive flame war in their forums and that game was both new and fine after the pc port was fixed. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Best we can do is tell people to try the free version and get them hooked. Then $130. For all the expansions might seem a bargain.

People seem to confuse the Steam complete edition with the complete edition on ArenaNet's website and they think ArenaNet is ripping them off, but they aren't even bothering to read that the complete edition on the GW2 website only has expansions, while the Steam one has everything.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

Just now, Crono.4197 said:

People seem to confuse the Steam complete edition with the complete edition on ArenaNet's website and they think ArenaNet is ripping them off, but they aren't even bothering to read that the complete edition on the GW2 website only has expansions, while the Steam one has everything.

Yeah that's another big thing.  The difference between expansions and seasons isn't clear.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Honestly I have played a lot of mmos over the years even triple rated ones. This is something that happens to every one of them. You have complaints, you have trolls, you have people that just dont like the game and try to influence others. Does not make the game bad or any of those things they claim, if people followed everyone who downed a game no one would be playing games. simple as that. I have never followed an influencer or a trend im not a sheep or a lemming.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

Yep, what a great start. People complaining about things they don't understand and don't even wanna try the game first before coming to a conclusion.

Funny thing, if you look at the negative steam reviews like 1-2 appear to be actually new players... maybe... the rest are GW2 players ranting about whatever they can. My favorite one is the one saying he's got 3 accounts with 10k+ hours that he deleted some month ago. 

So that's not Steams or "mainsteam gamers". It is people from this forum.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

Oof...kind of guessed that might happen. 🙄 Best we players can do is get in-game ourselves, field questions from newbies, and clear up misconceptions.

Good luck.  I saw two players in Queensdale with mentor tags up posting in map chat that the game was dead and was in maintenance mode.  Often.

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

Just now, kharmin.7683 said:

Good luck.  I saw two players in Queensdale with mentor tags up posting in map chat that the game was dead and was in maintenance mode.  Often.

... [headdesk]

I think my post a week ago about "okay veteran players, get out there with mentor tags and help the Steam newbies!" may have backfired. Either that, or people are just being trolls on their own. Either way, what a rotten thing to do.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

42 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

The game just launched on Steam and the Steam forums are full with people that are:

- trying to sabotage the game by telling others to stay away from it because it's "pay to win" or other kind of lies

- people that don't understand that the Free to Play factor is only a trial and they expected full access to the game

- people that complain that 100 dollars for a full collection is too much and that "muh favorite MMO is not priced so high", completely ignoring the "no subscription" factor

- people that call the game pay to win after only logging in for a few minutes in it

- people complaining why Living Stories aren't sold separately

- people that complain about wanting regional pricing

Yep. People whining about things they do not understand, or inventing blatant falsehoods so that they can have internet victim cred, is one of the lovelier fallouts from the rise of social media.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

If what's said on Steam is true (neg reviews from new players) then that's quite sad. Just now, I went to the beginner's area in Queensdale and in-game, there were 4 veterans to 1 new player where the veterans were there to help and assist. I thought it was a very nice gesture from the veterans in-game. Sad about the negative reviews this early on. $130 for no sub is not a bad deal and the monetization isn't as aggressive as other mmorpgs.

• Like 3

It's no weirder than veteran players making 0 hour positive reviews on steam. I understand people have some self interest in the game doing well so it continues, but we can't make steam players like it (or hate it, for that matter). Best thing you can do if you want people to join and stick around is be friendly and welcoming when people join the community. Remember they are here to play a game if they decided to play, they are not here to take part in meta-drama about new player hype.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

6 minutes ago, Pimsley.3681 said:

Just now, I went to the beginner's area in Queensdale and in-game, there were 4 veterans to 1 new player where the veterans were there to help and assist. I thought it was a very nice gesture from the veterans in-game..

The GW2 community can at times be overly helpful and enthusiastic to the point that it can be detrimental and annoying. The equivalent of as soon as you step into a store a store clerk appearing out of nowhere to spam you with if they can help or help you find what you are looking for. The intention is always good but the execution is not. Some people just want to shop at their own pace so to speak. Same applies here. 

People can be so wrapped up in trying to get people to enjoy the game they like that they do not see they can be a cause of negativity and detriment.

Edited by Sigmoid.7082
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

It's no weirder than veteran players making 0 hour positive reviews on steam. I understand people have some self interest in the game doing well so it continues, but we can't make steam players like it (or hate it, for that matter). Best thing you can do if you want people to join and stick around is be friendly and welcoming when people join the community. Remember they are here to play a game if they decided to play, they are not here to take part in meta-drama about new player hype.

Agreed.

People who genuinely dont care for the game are one thing. People making false statements are something else.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Crono.4197 said:

That's not the fault of the Steam audience though. The way ArenaNet handles Living World episodes was always questionable. In fact, I'd say that they should generally be free. The Steam audience can rightfully expect them to be free in the first place. You only pay for expansions in other MMORPGs too, after all. TL;DR: It's ArenaNets own kitten fault.

• Like 8
  • Confused 6

26 minutes ago, Raizel.8175 said:

You only pay for expansions in other MMORPGs too, after all. TL;DR: It's ArenaNets own kitten fault.

All DLC is free in all other MMOs? Genuinely curious because I've only played a half dozen or so.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 13
  • Confused 1