Anyone else not like Kasmeer Meade? (Minor spoilers, I guess).

Shrike Arghast.3856

11 minutes ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

This is my general problem when someone says they don't like a character. Their go to is always just "kill them off". There are far more options to removing characters from stories than killing them. Almost as uncreative as you find the characters you are asking to get killed...

Like Zoja, just get her hurt in HoT and ignore her.   Kill them off and try out new plot devices. 

• Confused 4

As a follower of Abaddon; our lord and savior who died for our sins, I find her cringe. 😛

I'm pretty much exhausted of all the characters at this point though. They're too quippy to the point where I rather listen to Trahearne be serious for several hours. I was hoping they'd all be left behind and replaced in EoD after we get Isekai'd.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

This is my general problem when someone says they don't like a character. Their go to is always just "kill them off". There are far more options to removing characters from stories than killing them. Almost as uncreative as you find the characters you are asking to get killed...

I didn't advocate killing her. I'd punt her from Dragon's Watch because if it was actually "my" guild, I would only want to hang out with people I regarded as friends. But killing her? No way. For all I know, she may be a terrible ally, but the world's most amazing rival or antagonist.

I'm not a big believer in throwing away characters - one of my biggest gripes with Harry Potter is how it devolved into essentially a shooting gallery. But I don't like having the people with the most dialogue also be the least interesting. So Kas can live, I just don't want her living with me.

Edited by Shrike Arghast.3856
  • Like 3

I don't dislike her, but I cannot honestly say that I like her either. She is the type of character whose screen time would be fast forwarded in a tv show, or skim read in a book. The type of character that I will not only not remember when she is no longer around but not care either.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 2:36 PM, Shrike Arghast.3856 said:

Kas comes off as joyless and excruciatingly earnest - the type of person who can't crack a joke, let alone make one. I make a big effort IRL to avoid hanging around those people - it bothers me a lot that I have to put up with one in GW2. Because, frankly, given the choice, I'd eject her from DW.

"Why don't you smile more? You'd look prettier if you smiled."

How to tell everyone you're misogynist without saying you're misogynist

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

44 minutes ago, Squeesidhe.4761 said:

"Why don't you smile more? You'd look prettier if you smiled."

How to tell everyone you're misogynist without saying you're misogynist

Or maybe they dont like anyone walking around like they ate a tray of lemons every day.

Also called resting kitten face.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Or maybe they dont like anyone walking around like they ate a tray of lemons every day.

Also called resting kitten face.

Sure, that's it. That's why he mentioned Logan Thackery as well, who has the personality of a piece of driftwood. Oh, wait. It was just about the pretty blonde woman. Never mind

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Shrike Arghast.3856 said:

Lol. Video game misogyny. Please tell me you're kidding. It wasn't funny, but it wouldn't be so appalling if you were.

I can explain the issue to you, but I can't understand it for you. But here's a hint to get you started: the attitude in question doesn't start or end with video games. 

Now the rest is up to you, good luck. 

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Seems more and more there's someone that has to bring their personal hangups and grievances into these threads and apply them to people they've never met.

Anyways, I'm largely ambivalent to Kasmeer, yeah I found her and all the other biconics flat and kind of annoying, but most of them have grown as characters and grown on me enough that I'd rather most of them stick around in some capacity.  None of this "KILL OFF THE WHOLE CAST" bull kitten that another thread and portions of others have been going on and on about.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2022 at 8:48 AM, Farohna.6247 said:

I lost it at cornish game hens 😂. Keep in mind Kas is young, trying to make her way in the world after her family has lost rank and privilege and dealing with the disgrace, and she's finding her own place and sense of purpose.   She's nobility, not as jovial and earthy as many of our other companions, not as jaded or world weary. 

I think that kind of stops being a reasonable excuse eventually though. I remember hearing somewhere in the EoD story that it had been 8 years since the battle of Lion's Arch in setting. Nowdays even Taimi and Braham who were children at the time are adults, which is why it was so nice to see Braham finally stop acting like one in Icebrood.

She's almost definitely in her late 20s by now.

Anyway, I don't really have any strong feelings toward her as a character (Though the fact that I was playing a mesmer when I did LWS2 didn't give me a great impression when she acted as if I knew nothing about mesmer abilities, but for all I know that was just a technical issue with them not having the framework in place to modify dialogue based on your class until LWS4). I don't know if she has some big arc in LWS1 that I haven't played through yet, but from LWS2 onwards she always just sort of felt like she didn't have any real presence, with most of her development happening off-screen. She really needs some more arcs focused on her like Braham did so that she can get some on-screen development that players can actually see.

Edited by Eponet.4829
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Eponet.4829 said:

I think that kind of stops being a reasonable excuse eventually though. I remember hearing somewhere in the EoD story that it had been 8 years since the battle of Lion's Arch in setting. Nowdays even Taimi and Braham who were children at the time are adults, which is why it was so nice to see Braham finally stop acting like one in Icebrood.

She's almost definitely in her late 20s by now.

Anyway, I don't really have any strong feelings toward her as a character (Though the fact that I was playing a mesmer when I did LWS2 didn't give me a great impression when she acted as if I knew nothing about mesmer abilities, but for all I know that was just a technical issue with them not having the framework in place to modify dialogue based on your class until LWS4). I don't know if she has some big arc in LWS1 that I haven't played through yet, but from LWS2 onwards she always just sort of felt like she didn't have any real presence, with most of her development happening off-screen. She really needs some more arcs focused on her like Braham did so that she can get some on-screen development that players can actually see.

And her character progresses accordingly.  She's gone from the hiccuping fresh face sidekick to Marjory to a stand on her own diplomat and gained respect, authority, and confidence.  More subtle than Braham going from farm boy to dragon champion but it's there.  I was basing my comments on that OP has been playing season 1.

• Confused 1

I really started to like Kasmeer during PoF. In HoT she pretty much flew under my radar, but during PoF she took off for me. Still like her as a character. 

The only character I have a problem with is Taimi. Rytlock took a hit during IBS, but not enough to make me 'hate him'. Just enough to feel pity for a great character that got hit with that kind of writing. Canach was great, took a hit with the VA change, I hope he recovers. Miss Delaqua is ok. Rox was never someone I cared about. Completely neutral. Braham - hated him a lot but he is at a point where I do not care anymore. Gorrik is great. Logan is great (yes, some people say he is bland. I say he is duty driven and tries to stay calm and collected). But then I also liked Trahearne - who at least praised us for our deeds and treated us a trusted confidant. Unlike some others who see us as nothing but delivery people and lakays. I swear the next time some stupid idiotic NPC makes me 'fetch X' I scream. My char is THE COMMANDER. Murderer of dragons. I shall not kill 30 of Y to get you X for you to be willing to hand over some knickknack. You should be happy and honoured to support me kitten.

But Taimi - just ugh. Her constant 'genius moments' outshining everyone. Her being deus ex machina incarnate. She makes everyone superfluos bodyguards and servants. The story would have been much better with her toned down by 90%. At this point she needs to go away - or fail really really hard and then be just another supporting character like everyone else. 3

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Eh, the only thing that annoys me somewhat is the design. Both her and Jory (to a much lesser extent) are just such Barbie dolls, it makes me cringe. Less so in the more recent story and I'm not sure if they'd adjusted her face, I got used to it, or it's just the different hair that makes her look somewhat less plastic.

Edited by Ariurotl.3718
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ariurotl.3718 said:

Eh, the only thing that annoys me somewhat is the design. Both her and Jory (to a much lesser extent) are just such Barbie dolls, it makes me cringe.

Agreed. But that's the problem with many female player characters as well. It seems to be an art style for females that ANet is pushing. Which is why I almost exclusively play male characters. I can't stand the plastic barbie doll faces that lack any character and depth.

As a woman I'd love to play more female characters, but when I can't create one that I feel looks unique, I don't bother. All the female faces look generic and flat (and often wear too much makeup on top of that).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I like Kasmeer just fine. She's neither my favorite nor my least-favorite character. Different people are drawn to different personality types. It would be silly to "eject her from DW" just because she isn't everyone's cup of tea. If we're ejecting characters from DW on that basis, DW would no longer exist because EVERY character has its fans and haters. 

On 9/19/2022 at 12:21 AM, Antycypator.9874 said:

Kasmeer is literally Daphne from Scooby Doo — all she does is looking pretty.

And I don't like her.

Actually Daphne from Scooby Doo was originally a clever detective. She used the "pretty girl" image as cover to spy, and also to help her friends escape when captured. The idea behind her was to show kids that the traditional "girly-girl" could be a strong character too. Mind you, some modern Scooby-Doo remakes lost sight of Daphne's original intent and casted her as the "unintelligent pretty girl," but honestly that's just misogyny in action. I'm not saying Kasmeer is perfect--as some others have pointed out, I don't like the "Barbiedoll" aesthetic she and most other human females are forced to have in GW2... but her character and personality are pretty solid. She obviously doesn't just "look pretty"

• Like 3
  • Confused 1