Idea: npc army

Justine.6351

Reminds me of Monkey Assistant in Timesplitters.

Person in last place gets an army of monkey NPC's armed with all sorts of weapons that scatter off about the map and kill everyone else, largely targeting the players with the highest kills.

Man that was a fun game mode, you almost want to be last so you can yell behold my army of rocket launcher monkey's.. good old absolute FPS chaos XD

They just don't make games like they used to lmao

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Reminds me of Monkey Assistant in Timesplitters.

Person in last place gets an army of monkey NPC's armed with all sorts of weapons that scatter off about the map and kill everyone else, largely targeting the players with the highest kills.

Man that was a fun game mode, you almost want to be last so you can yell behold my army of rocket launcher monkey's.. good old absolute FPS chaos XD

They just don't make games like they used to lmao

If any series deserves a reboot in this age, it's timesplitters. Those games were immensely fun. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

FWIW that is what the mercenary camps in EBG are supposed to be.

they may have been that, in 2012 lul. mercs are 100% usless atm bc they never got any update. same as camp guards i guess, tho those are far stronger (the rare times u see mercs attack a cap, one single NPC of the camp solos like 5 mercs)

i mean honestly, the idea is technically not bad, just i am very much not sure if anet has the capability to do this. do they have bots with enough... brain power? idk how to phrase this, but the builds alone doesn't make a meta group successful

and how big would that summoned group be? (i mean similar size to enemy group within your EBG area would be sorta sense making, just the usefulness here goes from overkill to useless lol)

it sounds to me like a very cool, but very impossible thing to get sth like this

The closest thing to this is the mercenary spawn camps, but the problem is this:

- They are not controllable with regard to when they attack and how they attack

- If they encounter an enemy on the way and the enemy OOC or is out of which, the mercenaries immediately disappear and do not return enroute to camp.

- Mercenaries for some reason only assault camps and not really the towers. 

- The dredge turret is only useful against players distracted by fighting something else, for dazing.

It would be cool if there was a guild claim post in the merc camps, and they can set the coordinates/waypoint of where the next merc groups could group up at.

As far as NPC armies for actual factions, that is too complicated when they have yet to perfectly balance populations with players.

Edited by Avion Blade.4869

On 9/26/2022 at 3:50 PM, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

If any series deserves a reboot in this age, it's timesplitters. Those games were immensely fun. 

Aye they were 😄

Should it ever happen though it's gotta be faithful.
Developers who do Reboots/Remakes these days tend to have a bad habit of "modernizing" them and imo ruining them in the process.

If it wanders off too far from the original it just defies the point if you ask me.
Resi 1, Baldurs Gate Enhanced, Turok 1 & 2.. those games stand as perfect examples on how to do remakes/remasters right.

On 9/26/2022 at 8:28 AM, Justine.6351 said:

Put a tactic at siege razor that when you are outnumbered it becomes available to activate by the first person wearing a tag. When pulled it gives you an npc army with current wvw builds. I think this would be a great way to deal with wvw population imbalances.

Turn into like 20 Elite level guards what assault closest points with reduced siege damage, so they are still a threat, but doesnt flood map and once point is capture - left over alive NPCs moves onto next point.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with mercenary camps is they don't attack keeps or towers. If they did this, defending them and retaking them would be alot easier, especially if we had a functioning Siege Turtle in WvW. But maybe that will come in the mythical WvW update of 2018. I mean.. 2023..

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

The biggest problem with mercenary camps is they don't attack keeps or towers. If they did this, defending them and retaking them would be alot easier, especially if we had a functioning Siege Turtle in WvW. But maybe that will come in the mythical WvW update of 2018. I mean.. 2023..

They’d have to be seige razer level of NPCs to attack towers and keeps.  But that would be kinda interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2022 at 7:28 AM, Justine.6351 said:

Put a tactic at siege razor that when you are outnumbered it becomes available to activate by the first person wearing a tag. When pulled it gives you an npc army with current wvw builds. I think this would be a great way to deal with wvw population imbalances.

Tactic, working like Sabotage Depot with Siege Razor would be a lot easier to implement: When the tower is taken, it will spawn an Invulnerable Siege Razor close to the tower that was taken. Once you have given him 30 supply (so you can't do it in one go alone, or 3 people can activate), he will charge the gate. As long as one allied player is close to him (like with dollies), he will be buffed (iron guards, resistance, break bar... whatever) so he does not get killed by guards at the gate. He should do about 2/3 of the damage of a normal ram. Once the Gate is down, he should advance towards the lord, but unable to solo him. He should take normal damage vs. siege weapons.
1. It is an option to attack a tower, if you are very low on numbers
2. It is easier to setup alone than a normal ram (because you do the "building" before and don't have to deal with defending NPCs when building the ram)
3. Attackers still need supply to start it and have to stay close to Razor to keep him effective (no starting the Razor and let him do his thing AFK and return and he mowed everything down)
4. Lone Defenders can see the NPC and prepare for the assault of someone feeding him supply.
5. Defenders are encouraged to build defensive siege to take out Razor, because he will be vulnerable to siege, encouraging building siege and spending supply, a resource in game.
6. Rams will still be better and Razor is predictable as an NPC
7. Multi-front attacks can be started to break out, perhaps concentrating on one Razor and using the second one as a diversion to spread opposing forces out.

On 10/1/2022 at 4:50 AM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

On 10/1/2022 at 1:04 PM, Strider Pj.2193 said:

They’d have to be seige razer level of NPCs to attack towers and keeps.  But that would be kinda interesting.

Quaggan use to attack hills, don't remember if they were any good at it though. But would be nice to have the merc camps in borderlands be better, capture them and have them send out a large wave force to the nearest enemy objective, and keep going until they're killed.

Would be cool if they could repurpose the grub and arboreal spirit into world boss/raid type npc that your side needs to capture first in order to send it to attack an enemy side. They could add a godzilla on green side to make up for the missing elite npc. Of course this would completely snow ball a side if a map queue does this, so maybe just make them target smc.... 🤭

Not that any of these ideas will ever be read or heard or implemented by anet. Too busy buffing boons until 2049, about when alliances will be ready next for development.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Quaggan use to attack hills, don't remember if they were any good at it though.

IIRC the Lightning storm cast by the Shaman did not a lot of damage, but could weaken the gate quite a bit, if nobody looked at it. Don't forget it contested the Keep and was good diversion, if you wanted to shut down the WP or attack at another spot (e.g. Bay north or south gate)