Dyable Underwear

Guy.9207

I'm not asking for a swimsuit. I'm asking for dye slots when you're not wearing anything. It's not really labor-intensive as you don't need to make any artistic assets for it. You just...write a bunch of codes that displays a dye channel when you're not wearing anything...and that's it. It's not hard to do, so surely that should be something that can be implemented? Like, I want colors...and yellow isn't doing it for me, you know?

• Like 7
  • Confused 7

23 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I don't think that Ane't intention is to have characters running around in their skivvies.  You don't like yellow? Put on some pants.

But pants are overrated

Well, actually, I think that's underrated given the amount of people who dress their characters like they are on beach episodes, but still, why do you think people do that kek

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, RadiantWolf.2058 said:

I don't think "just adding dye channels" is as easy as you make it out to be with this engine. We still don't have weapon dyes for example. The game was never made with that in mind and ANet has said adding such a thing would be a major undertaking.

I’m pretty sure you need to make a texture map of the skin and then assign the regions for color application. Which would mean remaking the player model skins and then coding each skins underwear region and whatever they plug it into for the color values a player chooses. 

It isn’t insignificant work and could get more complicated if there are active layers or shaders alongside the base skin.  

That said, I’d be okay with this if, after other real issues the game has are resolved. So never. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

They don't even make skimpy armor anymore. Everything has to be super over designed with giant shoulder pads and butt capes. If it doesn't have that it has things to ruin recolour role playing. 

I haven't bought an outfit in ages because of it 

Yeah, I miss being able to look cute like I can on the core armors. Everything from HoT and onward feels like I'm turning into a Gundam (some of the gemstore armors/outfits quite literally..).

There's one outfit (I don't know the name of it) that was so rediculous your feet and head get cut off in character select because the screen just isn't big enough to show the armor in its entirety since its so overengineered, especially on larger characters like Charr and Norn.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

I'd like to have the option. As mentioned there's places in the game where your armour or outfit is automatically hidden (like when using diving goggles) and it would be nice if I could dye the underwear which is shown to suit the character.

14 hours ago, RadiantWolf.2058 said:

I don't think "just adding dye channels" is as easy as you make it out to be with this engine. We still don't have weapon dyes for example. The game was never made with that in mind and ANet has said adding such a thing would be a major undertaking.

I thought they said the reason adding dye channels to weapons is a lot of work is they'd need to do it for each weapon skin individually. There's hundreds of those (possibly over 1,000?) so it would be a lot to change.

By comparison there's only 10 versions of the underwear to modify, so while it wouldn't be trivial I think it would be a lot less work than adding dye channels to weapons.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'd like to have the option. As mentioned there's places in the game where your armour or outfit is automatically hidden (like when using diving goggles) and it would be nice if I could dye the underwear which is shown to suit the character.

I thought they said the reason adding dye channels to weapons is a lot of work is they'd need to do it for each weapon skin individually. There's hundreds of those (possibly over 1,000?) so it would be a lot to change.

By comparison there's only 10 versions of the underwear to modify, so while it wouldn't be trivial I think it would be a lot less work than adding dye channels to weapons.

Yeah, I doubt it's that much work, I think it's just this studio's allocation of resources is kind of inconsistent and random (like many studios).

This industry is kind of odd in that studios PR act like a standard business on the outside (ordered, consistent, scheduled), but would appear to operate more like the production of a film on the inside (scattered focus, driven by clashing/negotiating artistic whims as well as some executive level meddling, constantly running out of time). Maybe people would be more understanding if the PR was honest about what's going on inside.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

21 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Except for the times in game where you are automatically changed into your underwear?

Yes, even when you pick up those diving goggles, it's not for the players to run around the map without armor, but instead to have a correct thematic cosmetic change for a quick dive in a specific area.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1