Piece of Unidentified Gear and/or Crests/Medallions etc. are NOT rewards..

Milo.3840

So I've been in love with this game since launch and have put in countless hours of gameplay. I love the rich depth of map exploration and achievements and the sense of agency with characters, but I have one huge complaint that I feel doesn't get much attention and I hope I'm not in the minority here..

Getting masterwork gear for doing countless metas/world bosses etc has now left me in a state of wondering "Why even bother doing those anymore, the rewards are the same lame thing over and over" which is just unidentified gear that has a very low chance of being an exotic that sells for less than 50s on the trading post. Once you get your ascended gear from Living World Currencies, there's really no point in doing them anymore other trading in the currency for crafting materials that rarely do you much good considering they still cost 1g per shipment.

Once you manage to craft a set of ascended gear, again, there's very little else to do considering you can just use an anthology of heroes in the mystic forge to stat change at will. BiS armor runes/weapon sigils are readily and cheaply available on the trading post and/or crafted leaving little to be rewarded from actually playing the game.

Magic Find is a joke because it does not affect boss chests, meta chests, or open world chests which more often than not give, you guessed it, masterwork unidentified gear and ascended materials that are usually considered trash to the point there are "Gobblers" like Gleam of Sentience that convert them into vendor trash for you so they don't take up space. Magic Find is also CAPPED meaning once you max out your Luck, it does nothing. As a matter of fact, Magic Find to me is now a burden because I'd rather loot junk that I can convert to Jade Slivers to trade for currency like Tyrian Defense seals and then use those to get materials.

I understand people don't want a "Gear Treadmill" and neither do I, but as soon as End of Dragons launched, I still had zero progression other than masteries because the gear is exactly the same, save for two new Stat Prefixes that are barely any different than any of their predecessors.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1

This kind of mindset has been raised in other threads, in different ways.  One key thing to recognize is that progression in GW2 is the skill of the actual player, not stats.  Gear stats are more of a tool to help you reach a minimum, baseline level of effectiveness.  Being able to push damage/support/game mechanics is your actual use and moment-to-moment decisiveness of active skills.

So essentially, the vertical progression is you, the human's, actual skill level.

I understand this is probably not desirable to you in particular, so another way to get the "classical" feel of vertical progression is having a full legendary armory.  Each piece of legendary has an actual impact on your ability to swap play-styles on the fly with build templates (the discussion of how you feel about the implementation of templates is a separate one, we'll skip over that for now).

As for getting "meaningful" loot drops, this isn't possible in the long-run.  In the beginning, green gear actually did mean a lot, and was noticeably better.  Rare yellow gear used to be a long-term goal.  However, as more people play, and more things drop, these same items diminished in value.  Creating new shiny drops will face the same end-state; they will eventually diminish in value and shininess until most of the player-base doesn't care for them anymore.

While I understand that some players prefer the rush of occasionally getting that awesome rare drop, I prefer the current system.  Everything has value, and that value is built upon a system of raw materials.  High volume, high velocity commodities make for a strong economy (usually) and I prefer the stability and open-ended status quo, where things can be distilled into common currency/commodities which are used for what you actually want.  The intermediary markets allow players of different parts of the game each get what they exactly want without needing to go to the other side.

Again, we're just expressing personal preferences, and for whatever reasons ArenaNet has mentioned in the past (I don't have links on hand), they have decided to go with their current system.

Anyways, tl;dr:

Legendary gear may be the gear-based "vertical" grind you may be looking for.  Vertical is in quotes because it's not truly vertical, but the closest the game has to offer.

All meaningful loot becomes meaningless over time.  MMO's will perpetually arrive at the current state you stated your dislike for.  That's just the nature of virtual economies (without getting into the economic principles at play).

If I misunderstood anything, please correct me.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

I have goals that center around a need for large amounts of gold. No drop in the game feels exciting or even rewarding, but over time enough of them contribute to my long term goals. Not fun. In any way. But by thinking about my goal rather than the drops from my current play session I get by.

Ultimately I think ANet bit off more than they could chew with a cosmetic reward and horizontal progression system. They cannot come close to producing cosmetics, nor introduce meaningful masteries, at a rate that satisfy the desire for rewards that dont feel like just another few coppers en route to that 1k gold purchase. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Anet shot themselves in the foot quite a bit in terms of reward systems when creating the game, and that's not really something they can rectify now. 

Horizontal progression means they can't do power boosts/gear treadmill (thankfully), and the the combination of the cash shop housing the most prolific skins, and five playable races with two gender variations each to create skins for otherwise means it's not really feasible for them to create a swath of skins to populate the world and reward all of it's activities with, and even less so to update them with new and new cosmetic goals over time. 

So what we are largely left with is essentially trash to sell and recycle. 

I agree with you that that's not satisfying, GW2's loot is definitely one of the game's weak points, but you didn't provide a solution or what you'd like to see within the constraints of the game's system either.

• Like 2
  • Confused 11

7 hours ago, Milo.3840 said:

Piece of Unidentified Gear and/or Crests/Medallions etc. are NOT rewards..

That's true, it's just trash which need to be recycled. It's like we're working at a junkyard and segregate everything to get few valuables items and salvage others. It's not funny, it's just work.

Loot system could be much better, this one seems to be only for convincing us to get more bags and permanent salvage kit (basically a must have item), to make recycling easier.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Milo.3840 said:

I understand people don't want a "Gear Treadmill" and neither do I, but as soon as End of Dragons launched, I still had zero progression other than masteries because the gear is exactly the same, save for two new Stat Prefixes that are barely any different than any of their predecessors.

That's the idea. When a new expansion launches you can focus on what you want to do, instead of grinding gear to catch up to the point you were at before it launched because someone moved the goal posts.

It does mean you need to set your own goals, and that those are probably going to be something less obvious than getting the new, upgraded version of what you already had, but I think once you get used to it this way is more enjoyable.

When EoD launched my first priorities were finishing the story and learning to use the new elite specs (which is also a form of progression, although like Rogue said one based around player skill rather than in-game stats), training up masteries I wanted, unlocking the turtle mount (and then training those masteries), exploring the maps, collecting the new mini pets, doing collections and other achievements which sounded interesting and along the way I've picked up some nice skins to use. A recent favourite is this saltspray dragon scarf, which my main character is wearing for Wintersday.

None of that increases my stats, but I do think I'm playing better with some of the elite specs than I did before, but it's given me a lot to do and I'm enjoying doing it, which is far more important to me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Asum.4960 said:

I agree with you that that's not satisfying, GW2's loot is definitely one of the game's weak points, but you didn't provide a solution or what you'd like to see within the constraints of the game's system either.

A solution I've always wanted in this game is for the elite specialization ascended weapon collection achievement to provide you with some sort of augment to gameplay uniquely specific to that class. Something like say if I unlocked Gravity (Catalyst's ascended hammer collection reward) it would have a unique effect like "Switching attunements grants stacks of Elemental Empowerment. Activating Grand Finale with all four Elemental Projectiles active instantly activates your Jade Sphere for your current attunement." Additionally, you'd be able to add it to an infusion for fractals etc. so you'd be able to swap it through different ascended hammers after you unlocked it.

This same concept could be applied to map based collections for a different sort of mastery as well. For example, say you were in Kourna. There could be an in depth reward track/crafting/collection system to unlock really cool combat abilities you gained from spending time there, like having a chance to summon one of those deployable turrets while in combat or gaining some type of power from Joko.

With as much depth they have in these maps they create they could easily create unique rewards from them that aren't just the same "grind this currency for another ascended trinket or crafting materials to craft the same gear you've always been able to but different." Like the Dragonslayer weapons once crafted to ascended could grant the dragon response boons outside of response missions when killing minions of jormag or primordus in the open world

• Confused 5

1 hour ago, Milo.3840 said:

This same concept could be applied to map based collections for a different sort of mastery as well. For example, say you were in Kourna. There could be an in depth reward track/crafting/collection system to unlock really cool combat abilities you gained from spending time there, like having a chance to summon one of those deployable turrets while in combat or gaining some type of power from Joko.

I'm not saying this idea doesn't sound cool or fun, but it does sound like gear-treadmill-powercreep-lite. It would either create another mandatory thing to farm out for gameplay purposes, or (even worse) become "borrowed power" throwaway powerups that only work in selected maps.

As others stated, I think we're stuck with unexciting loot as a tradeoff for no vertical progression treadmill. I, for one, am completely willing to make such a trade. It also tickles my weird "scraps of realism inside a ridiculous fantasy world" preference. It makes a certain amount of sense to me that super valuable objects aren't being carried around by monsters in the field.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I'm not saying this idea doesn't sound cool or fun, but it does sound like gear-treadmill-powercreep-lite. It would either create another mandatory thing to farm out for gameplay purposes, or (even worse) become "borrowed power" throwaway powerups that only work in selected maps.

Or, it puts players in the same position that they are now once they've acquired those items.  They'd still be asking, "Now, what?"

• Like 9

I open them and salvage them. With the raw materials I make the ascended crafting materials (the ones you can make 1 a day) and I buy marks in drizzlewood coast (which eventually turn into clovers).

And ofc the rares you loot turn into ecto, that still sells for some gold a stack. It has lost a lot of value, but you still get like 10s+ per rare or so (just from the ectos).

The unidentified gear pieces are actually the main loot from my POV, aside from the daily chest from a meta.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Or, it puts players in the same position that they are now once they've acquired those items.  They'd still be asking, "Now, what?"

Right? That's exactly what I meant by calling it another version of the treadmill.

I just wish more people would think more clearly about what keeps them here, and accept some fundamental design choices of this game. It's not going to scratch your vertical progression itch, and it's not going to enforce a "premier" endgame content path. Many things about GW2 deserve scrutiny, but I believe some things (like near-total lack of vertical progression) should remain beyond question.

I'm not saying the game is perfect and needs no change, but the (IMO blessed) lack of vertical progression means gear drops are never going to be exciting from a character power progression standpoint. If a piece of gear does represent a meaningful powerup beyond the current ascended/legendary ceiling, congratulations, you've just destroyed a (positive) defining characteristic of this game.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Milo.3840 said:

A solution I've always wanted in this game is for the elite specialization ascended weapon collection achievement to provide you with some sort of augment to gameplay uniquely specific to that class. Something like say if I unlocked Gravity (Catalyst's ascended hammer collection reward) it would have a unique effect like "Switching attunements grants stacks of Elemental Empowerment. Activating Grand Finale with all four Elemental Projectiles active instantly activates your Jade Sphere for your current attunement." Additionally, you'd be able to add it to an infusion for fractals etc. so you'd be able to swap it through different ascended hammers after you unlocked it.

With as much depth they have in these maps they create they could easily create unique rewards from them that aren't just the same "grind this currency for another ascended trinket or crafting materials to craft the same gear you've always been able to but different." Like the Dragonslayer weapons once crafted to ascended could grant the dragon response boons outside of response missions when killing minions of jormag or primordus in the open world

That concept says you want to play an ARPG instead.

That is in addition to the balancing problems it would cause and the likely power creep that would occur while also contradicting your previous claim.

13 hours ago, Milo.3840 said:

It seems more like real problem is that you can't be honest about what you actually want.

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

I open them and salvage them. With the raw materials I make the ascended crafting materials (the ones you can make 1 a day) and I buy marks in drizzlewood coast (which eventually turn into clovers).

And ofc the rares you loot turn into ecto, that still sells for some gold a stack. It has lost a lot of value, but you still get like 10s+ per rare or so (just from the ectos).

The unidentified gear pieces are actually the main loot from my POV, aside from the daily chest from a meta.

Agree, for me they are useful to gain materials for crafting (especially clothes and leathers for armors) cause I craft a lot. So everything depends on what you like to do in game.

11 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

Lack of meaningful progression has been complained about for aeons, and the same heads pop up each time to defend the game.

You'll get your junk and be happy with it.

I am not defending the game. I am attacking the complainers' stupid decision making. If you want a vertical progression game to play a vertical progression game which most MMORPGs in the market. If the only thing that will make you happy is bigger and bigger numbers then go play something designed to support that.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

I admit, while I do like not having to upgrade my gear really at all, it is frustrating having everything I pick up be junk to be sold for gold. Bags in bags in bags of things to sell. I'm not sure why they bother with the bags in bags, it doesn't feel fun, and I can't imagine it's THAT much of a time sink to keep players engaged.

• Like 2

tbh: "rewards" ultimately comes to be one of the the following: 

• anything that can be converted into gold
  • anything that has some kind of "prestige value". 

Unid Gear falls into the first category. You get gear from it, that you salvage, which gives you materials in return (and it also even has a chance to give you some rare items that hold quite a value). 
You then have to decide how to use these materials. You either use them to craft your own items in order to get better gear and/or work towards a legendary, or you sell these materials for gold. Which allows you to buy different materials to build different items. 

In other words: yes, Unid gear IS in fact a reward. 

You are doing openworld metas and getting boss chests and such. WvW players have had to pay for repairs to armor in the past, always had to deal with unid gear and trash drops, and have had a severe drop in whatever meager earnings from the decline in value of heavy loot bags and unid gear. On top of that emblems are ZERO value even to a vendor. Before complaining about casual PVE rewards Arenanet should be looking into WvW rewards system.

23 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I have goals that center around a need for large amounts of gold. No drop in the game feels exciting or even rewarding, but over time enough of them contribute to my long term goals. Not fun. In any way. But by thinking about my goal rather than the drops from my current play session I get by.

Ultimately I think ANet bit off more than they could chew with a cosmetic reward and horizontal progression system. They cannot come close to producing cosmetics, nor introduce meaningful masteries, at a rate that satisfy the desire for rewards that dont feel like just another few coppers en route to that 1k gold purchase. 

18 hours ago, Asum.4960 said:

Anet shot themselves in the foot quite a bit in terms of reward systems when creating the game, and that's not really something they can rectify now. 

Horizontal progression means they can't do power boosts/gear treadmill (thankfully), and the the combination of the cash shop housing the most prolific skins, and five playable races with two gender variations each to create skins for otherwise means it's not really feasible for them to create a swath of skins to populate the world and reward all of it's activities with, and even less so to update them with new and new cosmetic goals over time. 

So what we are largely left with is essentially trash to sell and recycle. 

17 hours ago, McWelp.1723 said:

Thats the price you pay for horizontal progression. Loot is just not that interesting in this game. Its just do stuff -> open containers -> dump whatever you got to material storage (and salvage the rest).

Loot is mostly cosmetic after lv80 for most of the players.

9 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

Lack of meaningful progression has been complained about for aeons, and the same heads pop up each time to defend the game.

You'll get your junk and be happy with it.

There are things in the game, such as Chak Egg Sac,  which are "exciting" drops.  Would you (collectively) like more such items in the game?  How many of these ultra-rare items have you guys obtained?

If the counter-argument is that these items are too rare, then making them any less rare will put these items into the same category as all others, which is "junk" or "not interesting."

If the argument is that you (collectively) want drops that have better stats, well that is really the status quo masquerading as change.  Players will perpetually obtain gear with bigger numbers to fight foes with bigger numbers.  Ultimately, the proportion of damage is the same.  If not, then all players will eventually be able to one shot everything with a single auto.  Stat-based vertical progression is merely the progression of damage numbers with the same end-state.  Nothing effectively changes.

What does a perpetual "interesting" loot system look like?  What can drop that will always be valuable and interesting?

I guess one solution will be an infusion-type item that is ultra-rare for each modular content in the game.  However, the super majority of players will never experience having the valuable interesting drop, due to rarity and random number generation.  If this is solved by making the new items more plentiful, then there will be complaints of cheap, boring loot.  Now this is becoming a repetition of previous statements.

I really don't see a worthwhile system that can accommodate the statements of the quoted players.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rogue.8235 said:

There are things in the game, such as Chak Egg Sac,  which are "exciting" drops.  Would you (collectively) like more such items in the game?  How many of these ultra-rare items have you guys obtained?

If the counter-argument is that these items are too rare, then making them any less rare will put these items into the same category as all others, which is "junk" or "not interesting."

If the argument is that you (collectively) want drops that have better stats, well that is really the status quo masquerading as change.  Players will perpetually obtain gear with bigger numbers to fight foes with bigger numbers.  Ultimately, the proportion of damage is the same.  If not, then all players will eventually be able to one shot everything with a single auto.  Stat-based vertical progression is merely the progression of damage numbers with the same end-state.  Nothing effectively changes.

What does a perpetual "interesting" loot system look like?  What can drop that will always be valuable and interesting?

I guess one solution will be an infusion-type item that is ultra-rare for each modular content in the game.  However, the super majority of players will never experience having the valuable interesting drop, due to rarity and random number generation.  If this is solved by making the new items more plentiful, then there will be complaints of cheap, boring loot.  Now this is becoming a repetition of previous statements.

I really don't see a worthwhile system that can accommodate the statements of the quoted players.

No one's asking for the absurd super-rare HoT meta infusions to drop more often. It doesn't have to be anywhere near that drastic. What would do it, though, would be something as simple as making more skins drop from unid gear. The base game's skin loot is atrocious: weapons are identical from 1-80, with slight hue changes, while armour has maybe 5 sets in the same range? 

That's all you get from green and blues. Yellows have a chance of dropping the PoF arab looking weapons, and beyond that, it's generic exotics.

But again, it's the age-old complaint: the skins are in the gem store, and at best you'll get one or two new sets per expansion (e.g., bounty hunter + warmaster or whatever it's called from PoF).

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

No one's asking for the absurd super-rare HoT meta infusions to drop more often. It doesn't have to be anywhere near that drastic. What would do it, though, would be something as simple as making more skins drop from unid gear. The base game's skin loot is atrocious: weapons are identical from 1-80, with slight hue changes, while armour has maybe 5 sets in the same range? 

That's all you get from green and blues. Yellows have a chance of dropping the PoF arab looking weapons, and beyond that, it's generic exotics.

But again, it's the age-old complaint: the skins are in the gem store, and at best you'll get one or two new sets per expansion (e.g., bounty hunter + warmaster or whatever it's called from PoF).

Looking at the rare and masterwork unidentified gear, I do see my ignorance.  I thought there were more exotics available than listed.  Regional weapon skins still drop in their respective regions outside of unidentified gear.

Even so, adding unique exotic skins will still lead to the same problem, unidentified gear is boring once you have all the cosmetics.  The only solution is to perpetually shove new cosmetics into the unidentified gear, which will always end with the same lack of interest once those new cosmetics are attained.  

Is the solution a cosmetic treadmill?

Oh, and I wasn't attempting to build a strawman for your particular case, I was merely attempting to cover all bases.  Please forgive any misattributions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Looking at the rare and masterwork unidentified gear, I do see my ignorance.  I thought there were more exotics available than listed.  Regional weapon skins still drop in their respective regions outside of unidentified gear.

Even so, adding unique exotic skins will still lead to the same problem, unidentified gear is boring once you have all the cosmetics.  The only solution is to perpetually shove new cosmetics into the unidentified gear, which will always end with the same lack of interest once those new cosmetics are attained.  

Is the solution a cosmetic treadmill?

Oh, and I wasn't attempting to build a strawman for your particular case, I was merely attempting to cover all bases.  Please forgive any misattributions.

No, there are really more exotic skin than that on unid gear, but I guess listing every thing would be hard. 

Also, despite not being unid, there are also champion bag who contains a bunch of unique skins. 

You were kinda right on your first post, there are a lot of skin who can be dropped, actually. 

The real problem is that I think people don't realize the scale of the total loot of players, basically, if you can realistically obtain it yourself, then it's drop so often that it end up as a "50s exotic junk"

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

I'm about as confused by the reaction to my post as my post seems to have been. 

I didn't argue for vertical progression, nor more super rare RNG drops. In fact I don't like either of those things at all, for all the same reasons you listed here. 

All I did was to explain why the loot system of GW2 is the pretty lacklustre way it is, and inquiring about what the OP would actually like to see done differently. 

For me personally, the way GW2 is designed (no gear treadmill, no subscription fee, comparatively very fair business model, very slow rate of invalidating content/creep of player tools, etc.) is 100% worth the bland loot system that resulted from that design. 

That doesn't change that it's a bland loot system though - idk why it seems so controversial to state that. 

I know subtlety is largely lost on people these days (in favour of with us or against us pile on mentality), but I can both call something bad as well as appreciate and even defend the reasons for why it is that way. 

Being one of those, me neither. But I'm still curious about the opinions of those likely to disagree with me, in search for points to potentially inform and evolve my own. That doesn't make me member of club vertical progression or rng drops.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

tbh: "rewards" ultimately comes to be one of the the following: 

• anything that can be converted into gold
  • anything that has some kind of "prestige value". 

Unid Gear falls into the first category. You get gear from it, that you salvage, which gives you materials in return (and it also even has a chance to give you some rare items that hold quite a value). 
You then have to decide how to use these materials. You either use them to craft your own items in order to get better gear and/or work towards a legendary, or you sell these materials for gold. Which allows you to buy different materials to build different items. 

In other words: yes, Unid gear IS in fact a reward. 

I will say here that the sense of prestige has been really destroyed since people have CONSTANTLY complained that they do not have x items in raids/PvP/WvW/certain spots in open world PVE. Everyone wants everything and there really is no sense of 'prestige' unless you go for titles no one else wants to get, or you go for things like CMs. Everything else basically gets their prestige tagged taken off and nothing really is considered interesting. I'd even argue and say legendaries aren't really prestige either, except for maybe legendary armor/runes/sigils/certain skins within WvW/PvP.

But this is not a complaint because I personally feel that way, but more something I noticed going on eight years of playing GW2 thus far. Select groups wants what they didn't exactly work for and then players that ACTUALLY have it now loses that sense of prestige. Now am I saying to make ALL end-game items prestige? No, but some sprinkled here or there wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by Dreams.3128
  • Like 1