OOHHH BOY! More Skirmish Tickets!

DanAlcedo.3281

I think it is to appease PvE players. Most of the changes are to make capping easier too.

Nothing was done with respect to the memory of battle costs.

I would have been okay with it if the skirmish ticket acquisition rate was raised and the weekly cap kept the same. If liquidity was the point then the grandmaster marks should have been looked at instead of dumping more gold into the game. All the ascended stuff requires grandmaster marks essentially making them extremely poor value. If you have a legendary of each weapon type you would just make the exotics but the mist lord set doesn't have that option and neither does the mistforged obsidian set.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skirmish_Supervisor

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Meaningless for those chasing tickets, too. What's 35 tickets gonna do when a Legendary War Insight is 1095, the gear is at least 175 each, and if it's armour you're chasing, you get 3/10ths of a mark each week from hitting Gold tier.

Pointless changes, mixed with "we looked at the data (on the Wiki)" changes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Meh we know they're not good with numbers when it comes to wvw. Like how the first maximum of tickets we could earn at the introduction of Skirmish mode was like 175 or was that 275 per week, if I remember right, eventually got increased to 365.  And we all know about first release of wvw achievements that required like 8 years to complete, lol.

For now I'm gonna look at it as being the first test dry run to see how the weekly and the rewards affect players. Maybe the weekly will eventually get increased to 50 or even a 100 if we're lucky (heh fat chance I know). But 8 gold for doing the usual, I'll take it. But yeah memories should have probably been added too, since they are actually required more of for the purchases.

At least they added another step for rewards, that's something at least. The amount of people that need to dump 50k tickets might actually be a small pool of players, maybe they should make a ticket gobbler and be done with it. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

lmao why are they always so stingy.

A 10% increase in tickets is nice but there's really nothing to spend it on besides legendaries and not all players desire them, regardless of their main game mode. That being said this change was directed at new WvW players.

Emblems ... nothing done.

So grind away at WvW in a  bit and get either half the gold of daily fractals or doing Teq a few times. That's sure going to lure people in.

Also no AA on rams?

Objective supply change is w/e. It should have only applied to SMC.

Sorry, this is a farce. So to all you WvWers, if this is all we get then:

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

Meaningless for those chasing tickets, too. What's 35 tickets gonna do when a Legendary War Insight is 1095, the gear is at least 175 each, and if it's armour you're chasing, you get 3/10ths of a mark each week from hitting Gold tier.

Pointless changes, mixed with "we looked at the data (on the Wiki)" changes.

It will still be frustrating when the burst of pve players bails after a bit for any of them who jumped in late when population simmers back down. Not sure why they still think gradual monetary rewards and making things easier for pve players will fix the game mode when that hasn't worked up to this point. Pve players will learn the mode like they do with any other area, it's mostly the same mechanics. Reducing the effort for tickets will give them a short lived hype but reality will sink in again pretty quickly and they'll either bail or grow an everlasting hatred of WvW and pvp in general. 

That's not trying to entice potential WvW players, its more getting pve players to shut up until Anet figures out a diplomatic way to pull legendary requirements out of WvW. Making WvW engaging, lived in, and connected at least thematically to the rest of the game will make their grind approachable. 

Edited by kash.9213
  • Like 1

From a  very casual player's point of view, 35 tickets could be a good increase in their weekly skirmish ticket income (Wood chest is 17 tickets, Bronze is 25; could they do the weekly reward, they get 2/3 more tickets than before). The problem with that logic could be, that weekly tasks (as far as I read the announcement you need 6 out of 7 possible tasks) include "take keeps" or "take SMC", which the very casual player most likely isn't doing.
For the dedicated WvW players, that reach Diamond chest, the 10% increase in tickets very likely is of little value as well, because they are either done with stuff they can buy with skirmish tickets or they need other (gold/material based) resources, so they can craft legendary armour (like T6 mats, memories etc.).
The 35 weekly tickets feel a bit stingy, especially when normalizing the tickets per chests and adding Memories + Mystic Coins to repeatable Diamond chests is the more elegant solution for the benefit of every type of WvW player (and it requires no extra mechanic as well)

Edited by Gorani.7205
  • Like 8

It might have been more interesting if they added tiers to the weekly rewards.  Eg, for each weekly task you complete, you get 5 tickets.  Then someone that can only complete 3 tasks (due to what they can cap, or just time they have) still gets something from this.

Otherwise, I can imagine casuals will look at the weekly, see the tasks, decide that they have no chance of completing it, and so this does not change their behavior at all.  It does help out the non casuals that need more tickets because they will they will probably complete those 6 tasks just through normal play.

It isn't clear who this change was aimed for.

• Skirmish ticket vendor now sells another widget that can be purchased for 50 tickets
  • Widget is used in a crafting recipe with map currencies to make another widget
  • Other widget is used in a crafting recipe to make some armour piece
  • That can't be salvaged
  • and only once per day
  • Solved

I have 30,000 skirmish tickets.

10 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

From a  very casual player's point of view, 35 tickets could be a good increase in their weekly skirmish ticket income (Wood chest is 17 tickets, Bronze is 25; could they do the weekly reward, they get 2/3 more tickets than before). The problem with that logic could be, that weekly tasks (as far as I read the announcement you need 6 out of 7 possible tasks) include "take keeps" or "take SMC", which the very casual player most likely isn't doing.

Casuals can rung alongside a zerg that captures keeps and such as well. You don't even have to be part of it. Pro tip: if you kill one guard of an objective before it gets capped you get credit for the cap as well. So if you see a group attacking an objective like a keep, just kill a guard and you get credit for the cap.

For the dedicated WvW players, that reach Diamond chest, the 10% increase in tickets very likely is of little value as well, because they are either done with stuff they can buy with skirmish tickets or they need other (gold/material based) resources, so they can craft legendary armour (like T6 mats, memories etc.).

Well I complete diamond on a weekly basis, but I do value the extra tickets. The simple fact is that I'm still working on my legendaries and if I'm to complete all of them it will take me to the end of the year to do that. I'm rank 1600ish btw.

You need at least 2 years to get all legendaries and in reality you need a lot more time because when you're new in WvW the first while you won't realistically hit that cap, so with regards to WvW tickets you'll be underperforming for a while.

The 35 weekly tickets feel a bit stingy, especially when normalizing the tickets per chests and adding Memories + Mystic Coins to repeatable Diamond chests is the more elegant solution for the benefit of every type of WvW player (and it requires no extra mechanic as well)

Consider this:

A Legendary armor set, at 365 tickets per week, takes 22 or 29 weeks each (29 for the shiny one). So let's take the cheaper one at 22 weeks. With the addition of 35 wvw tickets per week, you can shave of 2 weeks of that. So it'll take 20 weeks per set but if you calculate all 3 together it will add up to almost 7 weeks shaved off.

Also Warbringer will take 7 weeks instead of 8 and assuming you get Conflux twice shaves off 3 weeks total. 

That means that the extra 35 tickets per week will save you about 10 weeks of the otherwise 80 weeks it would take - if you complete diamond every week that is. That's more than 2 months. But the difference is even greater for new players that have low ranks as you described yourself at the beginning of your post.

Now is this the right or best way to do it? Not imo, but it's something. But all I'm saying is that you shouldn't just stare yourself blind on the nominal amount because you can get them weekly and then it adds up.

Edit: for those players that have reached the point of owning all the wvw legendaries there are, I would see the solution in more stuff to buy with tickets, but I agree this update is not for them.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Consider this:

Thanks for the effort of explaining, but I am not the very casual player you think I am in WvW.

Those types will not run out of their safe spaces with a zerg and get keeps and SMC (or several towers) a week.  It is more likely that something along the lines of what @Solvar.7953 posted will happen.

11 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

Otherwise, I can imagine casuals will look at the weekly, see the tasks, decide that they have no chance of completing it, and so this does not change their behavior at all.  It does help out the non casuals that need more tickets because they will they will probably complete those 6 tasks just through normal play.

Sure, additional 35 tickets will add up over time and I welcome any additional ticket I can get in my limited game time, but this can only be the very beginning of reward updates compared to other parts of the game (e.g. Priority Strikes, where you get extra rewards for the first time you do them and not at the end of the week when you have done a completed list of several of them)

• Like 3

On 1/27/2023 at 3:00 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I only have 55k of them! I always need more!

Lets see what comes first. Me getting to 100k or an actuall use for them after the Legy Items.

Seriously.  Cant be THIS hard to make a new vendor with some nice Items on them.

Have full leggo gear on all three weight classes so I understand your point but know others that do not not. So this is a good change to help those not yet there. Outside of this it doesn't mean we shouldn't have more vendor options for tickets or more options to covert those currencies to others so it helps all types of players. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I think its still better to add tickets for performing some tasks and not just a flat 10% increase for afking at spawn. 

Completely agree. More task orientated goals would be better. That said it needs to tasks that can't be zerged down as well or that needs to be considered in the goal. Just getting a hit on the target is not the same as soloing a target. So if its a kill quest and its 50 v 1. The value of the kill should be how every many were involved, lets say 10, divided into the value for 1, so each get 10% of the kill. Granted that's an extreme example but it conveys the complexity of the issue. Same could be said for an objective, if 50 can take the same that three could do then the value should only be the amount that three would get divided up among the 50 that were used. Hence its got a lot of details to be determined so in that sense small steps make sense.

Another thing came to my mind, when thinking about how the "weekly extra tickets" will be obtained:
Currently it looks like ANet has chose the - in my opinion worse option: a meta achievement with seven sub categories that might look like this: 1) Capture Sentries 5/5 2) Capture Camps 5/5) .... 6) Capture Keeps 3/3 7)Capture SMC 1/1

They did not chose the option how they do weekly bonus participation for festivals, where each festival activity has a score assigned and you have to reach 100/100 each week.  That option would have been the better way to do it, because it removes the "big target thresholds" like having to take keeps and SMC to finish the meta for the more casual players (or those with other non zergy play styles), you just have to do more of the "smaller ones". You could even exclude Veteran Creatures and Monuments from the list giving points towards the weekly reward, channelling players AFK at spawn towards being on the open map more often, going for "less safe" targets. I see that option as better for rewarding active gaming across different WvW styles than having us hunt numbers of certain captures.

10 hours ago, Blockhead Magee.3092 said:

The reward changes were NOT for wvw focused players.  Much like the exploration change, this is a reaction to the PVE complaints that they'll listen to (and the wvw's they always ignore). 

Yeah, the changes aren’t meant for dedicated WvW players, they are meant for PvE players that are too lazy to raid and instead come to WvW for the legendary armor. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Idk about you all but  after 10 long years I am close to reaching that 1millonth Yak for the True Yakslapper Title! 😉  Jokes aside it would be nice if at least one of the devs would try world versus world from the other servers aside the top tiers and get a full scope of the situation they themselves had dug and those prior to them had as well. It would be like a silver waste shovel but we all know the reasons guildhalls take so many. Shovels the size of spoons 😂

3 hours ago, prototypedragon.1406 said:

Idk about you all but  after 10 long years I am close to reaching that 1millonth Yak for the True Yakslapper Title! 😉  Jokes aside it would be nice if at least one of the devs would try world versus world from the other servers aside the top tiers and get a full scope of the situation they themselves had dug and those prior to them had as well. It would be like a silver waste shovel but we all know the reasons guildhalls take so many. Shovels the size of spoons 😂

I see devs play in all the tiers.  What I see is that they're always running as part of a blob.  I don't see them in small groups or roaming.  I also don't know how much influence they have on the direction that they take.  What I do know is that the changes they want to make only help blobs and non-wvw focused players.  Defenders and roamers get nothing. 

• Like 1