Yearly/Semi-Yearly Expansions Sounds a lot like Icebrood Saga we pay for.

Lily.1935

58 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Anet never said we're never going to do an expansion and I seriously doubt you'd ever be able to find a quote. What Anet said was we don't need to do an expansion because we can deliver everything we need to through the living world. And for a year and a half that was true.

But at that same time, some of us were saying that we believed there would be an expansion.  Furthermore even though Anet said they didn't need to make an expansion, NcSoft kept annoucing that an expansion would be coming at stock calls. Seems to me that it wasn't quite as definitive as you remember. 

they did say that they wasnt doing expansions before HoT. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 11:26 AM, Lily.1935 said:

I'm going to be fairly critical of this because the post honestly didn't give us much to go on and it sounds fairly similar to the same promise that was made with Icebrood Saga although instead of "Expansion like content" its replaced with "Mini Expansions". To me, it reads the same thing with a price tag which sours the announcement to me.

So, why does this sound bad? Well to put it simply Guild Wars 2 is built around a horizontal progression system while most MMOs are built on a vertical one. What's typical is an MMO will add maybe 5 to 10 levels with new skills and abilities to play with and sometimes a new class. Although most games don't give as much in this regard as guild wars 2 has traditionally with its expansions we still get that stuff. IF icebrood Saga had this sort of content I doubt it would have had such a poor reception like it had. And this new direction doesn't sound different to me than what was tried 4 years ago.

I think this direction can work, however players need something to expand there characters with. It doesn't need to be elite specializations especially with how regular the content will be coming, although I'd suggest having new elite specs every 4 years still, but between that time there absolutely needs to be new things to change up the way your players play. New Weapon types unlocked, new skills, new traits, a new specialization, a new class maybe, we don't need to strictly just add Elite specialization to add this horizontal progression the player's love. You can add smaller profession additions and the players wouldn't just be happy with it, they'd be ecstatic.

This for me is the big point for me. What I want in this game isn't just the story and group content. I like that stuff, but Its really difficult to want to go through that content with the same build I've been using for X number of years. The monotony of it needs to be broken up with new toys. There's so much that can be done here and I suspect it wont be as successful if we don't get this. I know for sure that I probably wont play the new expansions without this content. I just don't see a reason to when I'm bored of the skills I already have.

Overall, I'd like to read more about the expansions you're presenting but from what I've read so far, I'm less than excited.

This pretty much sums up my concerns with the announcement as well.

Personally, I don't mind paying for content.  My issue with GW2 has always been that they never deliver enough of it.  If I thought this announcement signaled an increase in development but at a higher price, I'd be all for it (for me, obviously that doesn't work for everyone - which is also a concern).  Unfortunately, I think if anything it signals less content and we'll still be paying a higher price because development we once received free of charge will now go toward development that we'll be paying for.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

Also you might want to acutally update the sab event its like the only one i have any intrerest in and you cant make world 3 for like 7 years now.

Yeah sure update sab world 3, a thing that will cost as much as making 2 new raids and a new fractal that is permanent importannt content that actually attrack new players and returning ones, for a thing that is a 2 weeks event and is a meme.

Good thinking

• Like 3
  • Confused 7

23 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

They said they had no plans for an expansion at this time. They're not the same thing. Shrugs.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/guild-wars-2-to-get-consistent-free-updates-expansion

After players voiced their concerns about what's next for Guild Wars 2, game director Colin Johanson took to the forums to reassure them.

"No need to buy them, Gw2 will feature consistent free content updates and in-game events going forward. Our goal is to make it so you get more from Gw2 for free than you get from a game you pay a subscription for. On top of a large amount of free bonus content, we will be expanding on offerings in the Black Lion Trading Company going forward, as well as be doing large-scale expansion content down the road."

"We do appreciate that you’d like to buy lots of new content, but we’d prefer to give a lot of it to you for free, cause that’s what we think a responsible MMO company does!"

Edit

So yea no expansions.

Did that change, yes it did and now it have changed again.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/guild-wars-2-to-get-consistent-free-updates-expansion

After players voiced their concerns about what's next for Guild Wars 2, game director Colin Johanson took to the forums to reassure them.

"No need to buy them, Gw2 will feature consistent free content updates and in-game events going forward. Our goal is to make it so you get more from Gw2 for free than you get from a game you pay a subscription for. On top of a large amount of free bonus content, we will be expanding on offerings in the Black Lion Trading Company going forward, as well as be doing large-scale expansion content down the road."

"We do appreciate that you’d like to buy lots of new content, but we’d prefer to give a lot of it to you for free, cause that’s what we think a responsible MMO company does!"

Edit

So yea no expansions.

Yep I see the quote. And if you read it line by line, word by word, it says:

We do appreciate that you'd like to buy new content, but we'd prefer to give it to you for free.

Doesn't say they won't make an expansion. They say what they're PREFER to do. IN fact, the world expansion isn't mentioned at all in this.

They did give us free content updates going forward...in adddition to an expansion. You can say they said they wouldn't make an expansion but it doesn't says that. It only says we'll be giving free content updates going forward, which is still true today. The patch on January 28th is a free content update. We'll get them quarterly between expansions.

You INTERPRET that as no expansion, but you really do need to read between the lines. None of the precludes them working on an expansion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Edit

So yea no expansions.

Read it again and look at the bold parts really hard.

11 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Yep I see the quote. And if you read it line by line, word by word, it says:

We do appreciate that you'd like to buy new content, but we'd prefer to give it to you for free.

Doesn't say they won't make an expansion. They say what they're PREFER to do. IN fact, the world expansion isn't mentioned at all in this.

They did give us free content updates going forward...in adddition to an expansion. You can say they said they wouldn't make an expansion but it doesn't says that. It only says we'll be giving free content updates going forward, which is still true today. The patch on January 28th is a free content update. We'll get them quarterly between expansions.

You INTERPRET that as no expansion, but you really do need to read between the lines. None of the precludes them working on an expansion.

Not only does it not say what they thought it says, it says the exact opposite lol

Edited by KawsMeCal.5923
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Yeah sure update sab world 3, a thing that will cost as much as making 2 new raids and a new fractal that is permanent importannt content that actually attrack new players and returning ones, for a thing that is a 2 weeks event and is a meme.

Good thinking

SAB is the most fun and unconventional content GW2 has to offer. I'm having a blast with it each year.

So yeah, finally finishing all Worlds will definitely be approved by many, including myself. 😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 5

17 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

i'm seriously expecting to end up with greater overall yearly cost for less content compared to what we were used to once. And in such a case the price would be the least important part of it.

TBH, at this point it looks to me like an attempt to release LS packages (maybe slightly bigger than usual, but still much smaller than normal expansions) rebranded as expansions for PR reasons, and have us pay for that.

Yup!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

I dont think that quote says what you think it says.

It says what I think it says:

On top of a large amount of free bonus content, we will be expanding on offerings in the Black Lion Trading Company going forward, as well as be doing large-scale expansion content down the road."

As well as the free content we promised, we will also be doing other things (we separated free content and this for a reason) such as large expansions down the road.

• Confused 1

I hope they will make the meta events more rewarding to do in both existing EoD maps and upcoming ones. Currently only Dragon's End meta is just and just worth it to do with super small chance to get Void Infusion as loot. I rarely do that meta though anymore because it is long and fails often without well organized map. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

It was specifically stated in the roadmap that they want to focus on ALL popular game modes. They are not targeting a narrow audience at all, which means they know what they’re doing.

When asked in recent Teapot's stream's chat about raids getting abandoned, Grouch mentioned that they were focusing only on all popular game modes.

(link to reddit thread with highlights from the stream, see second highlight in opening post. Link to whole stream is in one of the reddit posts below, if someone wants to check for themselves)

So, no, they are not catering to everyone. You got too hung up on the word "all" to realize the emphasis was not on it, but on the word following it.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

Honestly, this one left a bad taste and worry in my mouth after reading it. It feels like we are being nickel and dimed for what is basically LW content instead of real Expansion content aka new elites and such. I couldn't care less if new strikes are being added. What I do worry about is basically them saying you pay us now for everything in game. It doesn't matter if it will be $10 to $25. I have no problem with paying for stuff since I buy stuff from the gem store all the time. It is the reason why I am paying for it. It is basically paying for something that was once free making me feel scammed in a way.

I will wait and see of course how this turns out, but it has left me with a worry for the game and the direction it going with a bit of distrust with their motives and reasoning. I have a bad feeling the "expansions" will just be glorified LWs.

And no, I am not leaving for those trolls who might comment that. I am already into sunk cost fallacy with the game, but buying the Expansions will just leave a bitter taste in my mouth every time I buy them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

10 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

SAB is the most fun and unconventional content GW2 has to offer. I'm having a blast with it each year.

So yeah, finally finishing all Worlds will definitely be approved by many, including myself. 😉 

That's highly subjective.  I only entered SAB once and hated it.  I would much rather Anet spend resources elsewhere.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I think the major issue is that yet again, payer demands made things worse. More and more I feel that Arenanet should do less what we ask them to do, but more what they think we want.

They started with a schedule where every month a new release would be added to the living world season (during season one).
This was highly ambitious, but doable with the size of the studio back then.

The main issue why they could do this was cause ti was non repeatable content. You had two months to play it and then it was gone. So any minor bugs and polishing still existing was not a problem. 

But we didn't want content that was not repeatable. It was a bad idea.
We do not want to pay for content
The studio has been slimmed down for numerous reasons
Yet still we blame Arenanet for the lack of content.
We blame arenanet for each and every bug

We do not pay monthly fees
we had 50% of all content for free
The core game has been free for ages
There is no advertisement

We want everything for nothing. It is not how this world functions.
I think many players being negative should rethink what they are saying and demanding!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, mercury ranique.2170 said:

I think the major issue is that yet again, payer demands made things worse. More and more I feel that Arenanet should do less what we ask them to do, but more what they think we want.

They started with a schedule where every month a new release would be added to the living world season (during season one).
This was highly ambitious, but doable with the size of the studio back then.

The main issue why they could do this was cause ti was non repeatable content. You had two months to play it and then it was gone. So any minor bugs and polishing still existing was not a problem. 

But we didn't want content that was not repeatable. It was a bad idea.
We do not want to pay for content
The studio has been slimmed down for numerous reasons
Yet still we blame Arenanet for the lack of content.
We blame arenanet for each and every bug

We do not pay monthly fees
we had 50% of all content for free
The core game has been free for ages
There is no advertisement

We want everything for nothing. It is not how this world functions.
I think many players being negative should rethink what they are saying and demanding!

Ah yes, it's the community's fault, always a good one.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7