Why are Reapers (necromancers) so strong?

Ollie B.8597

Everytime I see a Reaper (necromancer) they have 25 stacks of Might and they put 20+ stacks of Vulnerabity on their foe and just melt them
I keep seeing them soloing Champions simply melting them... Why do they get to be that strong? 

Edited by Ollie B.8597
  • Haha 14
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

• Ollie B.8597 changed the title to Yo Devs, why are Reapers (necromancers) so strong?
48 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

If that is considered OP then you would have had an aneurysm from Mirage, but, then again, soloing champs isn't an achievement in GW2 that can be use to determine whether something is OP or not.

Mirage is but a shell of its former self. Not good to compare anything to it now lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Reapers have great damage and are very self-sufficient for bringing it out but they have next to no defense stuff. Champ hits you with one attack and you're probably out of shroud which then guts your damage.

There are plenty of other classes that can get 25 stacks of might and maintain a good number of vuln stacks on the enemy if they spec for it (mostly via might runes). Holo definitely can, about any kind of warrior can, renegade can, any kind of mesmer using staff should be able to. Probably some other specs too, these are just the ones I can think of immediately.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

All builds are balanced around having all boons. When you look reaper compared to all other classes it is mediocre, meaning it is pretty balanced. 

What make is seemed unbalanced is that it can easily give itself a ton of might, vulnerability, quickness, and even short bursts of fury. Mainly other dps classes require support roles to unlock their potential, but reapers can self access many of the key boons other classes do not have access to. 

This is why reaper was in the past balanced in open world but subpar in groups. Currently anet has made them balanced for groups, which makes them OP in open world.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ollie B.8597 said:

Everytime I see a Reaper (necromancer) they have 25 stacks of Might and they put 20+ stacks of Vulnerabity on their foe and just melt them
I keep seeing them soloing Champions simply melting them... Why do they get to be that strong? 

The weird thing is that you can see the same thing on other classes, but you singled out Reapers. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Oh no, a necro accomplished something that every other class can also pull off, clearly that means they are too strong and need to be nerfed.

This line of thinking is why for almost the entire game's lifespan, necro specs were consistently kept sub-standard compared to most other classes. Reapers now stick out as seemingly op to you, because necros being bottom-of-the-barrel has long been accepted as the norm. 

It's one of those rare times where most necro specs can actually keep up with the rest of the roster, don't immediately beg for this to change. 

Edited by GeraldBC.4927
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Because they know how to play the game. There are many ways to do the above if you do on many classes.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Confused 1

reaper has one of the lowest effective damage windows out of all the damage classes, only higher than low intensity builds., and they recently gutted our best low intensity build as well (signets of suffering), forcing higher-level play for the same results.

they're only strong in open-world because of their selfish boon generation (especially quickness), and even then most of them have to take pack runes for permanent fury generation since the single trait they get that generates fury isn't full uptime in situations where shroud is easily lost, which brings their damage down on average of 30% just from losing a single boon.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well thanks for explaining to me, i guess i am just new still
It was just disheartening to see because I get 3 of my friends to help me at a Champion and we kill it eventually with some revives and deaths but then you come back another day and there is a Reaper there and he kills the same Champion in seconds :L 

Edited by Ollie B.8597
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Vilin.8056 said:

46 minutes ago, Ollie B.8597 said:

It was just disheartening to see because I get 3 of my friends to help me at a Champion and we kill it eventually with some revives and deaths but then you come back another day and some guy is there and he kills the same Champion in seconds :L 

What Profession are you playing? The Community including myself will help you and your friends be better than Necromancer Profession fighting Champions?

snowcrows are for "Elities builds" joking... just ask 🙃

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, Ollie B.8597 said:

I'm afraid to have to say that every professions are able to self generate 25 might stack and put this much vulnerability on their foes. (Un)fortunately achieving this much is very easy in PvE, the only thing you have to do in order to do so is to build your character properly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Ollie B.8597 said:

It was just disheartening to see because I get 3 of my friends to help me at a Champion and we kill it eventually with some revives and deaths but then you come back another day and some guy is there and he kills the same Champion in seconds :L 

Guardian can do the same thing too, be tankier, and give group support. Look up condi quick brand. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Ollie B.8597 said:

Every PvE build of any class is built around damage multipliers, might generation and vulnerability stacking. Bonus points for additional quickness and fury.

That guy probably just knew what he was doing, while your group wasn't.

There is that one champ in the north east corner of cursed shore. This is my personal build test champ for PvE solo content (for WvW roaming it's the veteran bristleback in the center of red borderland and so on). I choosed these mobs as test subjects because they are a good representation of the demands of the targeted game mode. Anyway I can solo this champ with ease and I am doing this frequently. This champ has one single strong attack that instantly downs you if you don't dodge within a window of 2 seconds. Pretty much EVERY time I am doing such a solo run another player shows up and is downed by that champ within 5 seconds. Often a second and third player joins and they are all downed because they all stand for 2 seconds in that attack. Sometimes I am surrounded by downed players while I continue to solo this champ and simply dodge his one dangerous attack.

What I want to tell you here: What you experienced has nothing to do with reaper.

• Thanks 3

• Ollie B.8597 changed the title to Why are Reapers (necromancers) so strong?
On 8/11/2023 at 5:01 PM, GeraldBC.4927 said:

This line of thinking is why for almost the entire game's lifespan, necro specs were consistently kept sub-standard compared to most other classes. Reapers now stick out as seemingly op to you, because necros being bottom-of-the-barrel has long been accepted as the norm. 

It's one of those rare times where most necro specs can actually keep up with the rest of the roster, don't immediately beg for this to change. 

Right? I've played a Necromancer since day one but with long gaps in time where I wasn't playing the game. I've recently started playing again and finally unlocked Reaper. After years of feeling just 'ok' I suddenly felt more powerful and that many fights were easier. That's a great feeling and sense of power progression. I'm worried I got here too late and that they'll nerf it back into the ground before I've had a moment in the sun. 🥲

Ollie, there's no "Level 400" in this game.

Look, you just joined. By your own admission you're new to the game. Why is it so hard to understand that someone who's probably been playing the game for 10 years is capable of doing things in game that you aren't? He's got the best gear, he's got the best build, he's got years of practice with his character, of course he's going to be able to pull off things that seem amazing to you.

C'mon man, I'm not trying to be a jerk here but your post reads like: "I've been driving a race car for 6 months and I'm still not as good as the guy who's been doing it for 10 years, it's not fair!" And that just doesn't make any sense.

• Like 7