Agony Resistance and the Removal of Daily Login Rewards

15 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

I want to jump in briefly and emphasize this. Here's a little peek (peak? 😉  iykyk)  at what that looks like in game. The system is pretty flexible so you can focus on content that you like to do!

Screenshot 2023-08-16 085108.png

Now I cannot stop myself from asking - will wizards vault be compatible with GW2 API? old dailies are available through relevant dailies, will that still be an option ith the vault?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Pvp dailies already exist. They are in the same category as all other dailies. How is this any different? You want to remove the ability for pvp players to complete the "battle pass"?

I'm quite sure you will be able to get all the rewards by playing only the game mode you like. 

Would you like PvP-players only to be forced to do PvE content they've no desire to do? Because it's the exact same situation just in reverse.

7 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I know players can end up with no money, it's happened to me 3 times that I remember, including once when I was new. That's why I know it's a simple problem to solve, because I've had to solve it and I did it in exactly the way I described - I ran around the area I was in (I think it was Kessex Hills the first time) killing enemies and sold whatever dropped to a merchant until I had enough to pay for a waypoint to where I was going. (I could have also just run back to Divinity's Reach, but at the time that seemed like a very long way to go.)

I also think you're not giving new players enough credit and missing the point that the ones incapable of comprehending what an asura gate is and how to use it are likely to be equally incapable of comprehending how daily achievements work and so aren't going to be worrying about how to get 1/2 way across the world to do them. Most new GW2 players are adults (legally they have to be at least 12 and as far as I know most the younger ones play with parental supervision) and it's extremely unlikely it will be anyone's first game or even first RPG. They will understand there are things they need to figure out. Look at the kind of questions actual new players ask, either in chat or here on the forum. No one is struggling to comprehend the idea that a modern game has a fast travel system, the nearest we get is people getting mixed up with the terminology from previous games they've played.

My counter-argument is Preach who's arguably one of the more skilled streamers, who generally knows how locked travel over distances works in PvE had no idea that there were Asura gates in LA that connected to the other areas until one of the people in the chat told him.

26 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

I want to jump in briefly and emphasize this. Here's a little peek (peak? 😉  iykyk)  at what that looks like in game. The system is pretty flexible so you can focus on content that you like to do!

Am I understanding it correctly that this is a mutually exclusive system? Or can you do like now just do several things across multiple game modes? Because I personally like that flexibility. People want freedom, just look at the people messing around on BG3 with just about everything since they can. And the current system is peak freedom. There's usually one PvE achievement that interests me, the rest I really am unable to care less about, and given that the weekly has the big stuff, like Strikes and such, I can imagine that the dailies will be fairly mundane, like, the current, "Do four events in X."

Doing that has an appeal of around zero to me and I would much rather go and, for example, kill three enemies in WvWm that to me is WAY more fun. I would much rather have a system where I did any three and then was unable to get Astral Acclaim while I still could get the other stuff from it. The code for this already exists in the form of Raids and how you can no longer get Magmatite Shards as loot after you've got 300.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

I wonder if this means if you have all 3 open you get, say 3 choices each (throwing out a random number), but if you only pick PvE then you get 9 choices. So same number of options, but may be split among the 1, 2, or 3 categories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I wonder if this means if you have all 3 open you get, say 3 choices each (throwing out a random number), but if you only pick PvE then you get 9 choices. So same number of options, but may be split among the 1, 2, or 3 categories.

Well... how would the option to choose make any sense if that's not how it worked? 😉 There will probably be a daily cap of those tasks to complete anyways, maybe up to 3 a day to reflect on the current dailies. Similarly like we could see there's a cap of 6 weeklies to complete each week.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Just a very small UI design note - the box to check should probably be behind the information you need read first to find out what it is relating to (if presented with multiple options in a single line like this, rather than a checklist format).

Edited by Asum.4960
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

23 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

You missed the point. Unless people have the ability and/or desire to participate in these tasks then getting those laurels will be really difficult.

Literally one point below it says, and I quote:

• Q: Are there still daily login rewards?
    • A: There will be one objective every day for logging in. This objective gives 5 astral acclaim (standard daily objectives give 10).

It might be a little less than currently, but I do like this incentive to play the game and the objectives seem to be very flexible. Rewards just for logging in does not catch anyone in the game and will not bring people to spend money on the game.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Well... how would the option to choose make any sense if that's not how it worked? 😉 There will probably be a daily cap of those tasks to complete anyways, maybe up to 3 a day to reflect on the current dailies. Similarly like we could see there's a cap of 6 weeklies to complete each week.

Well, you can choose to ignore the WvW and PvP dailies right now without getting more PvE choices. That's why I'm hoping I can turn off the PvP choice to expand the other 2 categories.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Well, you can choose to ignore the WvW and PvP dailies right now without getting more PvE choices. That's why I'm hoping I can turn off the PvP choice to expand the other 2 categories.

Yup, which would make the whole "you can choose what you prefer by picking a corresponding square" a rather disappointing feature if in essence all it would do was... hide other options -options anyone can already easly ignore to do the ones they want.
The only way I see that option to even be worth mentioning is if it provided more tasks from the picked category -sort of like picking preferred one in guild mission panel. Whether it provides 1, 4 or 6 additional options is another thing, but if it doesn't provide any additional choices, it would be a rather pointless implementation imo. 

In other words: I think it'll work the way you hope it will work 😉 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

My counter-argument is Preach who's arguably one of the more skilled streamers, who generally knows how locked travel over distances works in PvE had no idea that there were Asura gates in LA that connected to the other areas until one of the people in the chat told him.

That's just an argument for NOT skipping at least the Core story. Like many (most?) RPG's, you learn about new systems and features as you progress through the storyline.

When you instead opt to eat a Lv80 boost then run off and do your own thing, you really have no business complaining that the game didn't explain its basic functionality to you.

tl;dr:  RTFM

• Like 6

I can travel to LA from anywhere I'm standing on the map just by going to PvP or WvW. Also can get to TP, Merchant, or Bank in the same manor and still go back to the exact spot I was standing before I left. As far as Ascended items go, I did get most of mine through Fractals, also play a bit of WvW and crafting. Spend my laurels on other stuff.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

WizardsVaultChoice.png

These check boxes are extremely confusing. They should be to the right of the words, not the left.

• Like 6
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

So many people liked getting the daily login rewards. I can see this blowing up in their face. This is so Anet to do this. They get high praise for SOTO then they go do something stupid before it launches. And trying to force non-PVP players into doing it for rewards is the icing on the cake.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, wmtyrance.3571 said:

So many people liked getting the daily login rewards. I can see this blowing up in their face. This is so Anet to do this. They get high praise for SOTO then they go do something stupid before it launches. And trying to force non-PVP players into doing it for rewards is the icing on the cake.

Did they get high praise for SotO?

Trying to do none pvp players do what exactly since you can chose to do only pve, only spvp or only wvw.

Or a mix of 2 and even 3 like we have now.

So what are they forcing none pvp players to do?

Edit

I mean I got my beefs with this expac mainly the legendary rune debacle but I dont pile on untruths to pad my dislike

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

Would you like PvP-players only to be forced to do PvE content they've no desire to do? Because it's the exact same situation just in reverse.

You are not forced to do anything. You can even select if you want PvP, PvE or WvW.

**And** you get 5 free astral acclaim daily just by logging in, which means that you don't even need to do the dailies to get your stuff you wanted.

Not really sure what your post is about.... feels like you're complaining just to complain.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, blackoil.2673 said:

You are not forced to do anything. You can even select if you want PvP, PvE or WvW.

**And** you get 5 free astral acclaim daily just by logging in, which means that you don't even need to do the dailies to get your stuff you wanted.

Not really sure what your post is about.... feels like you're complaining just to complain.

If the tasks are mutually exclusive then you are being forced to do things. For example (I'll assume the dailies are mundane). If one of the PvE tasks, for example, is "do four events in X" I've no desire to do that, at all. I usually do have an interest in one or two of the PvE ones and then I get the remaining in other modes.

9 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

That's just an argument for NOT skipping at least the Core story. Like many (most?) RPG's, you learn about new systems and features as you progress through the storyline.

When you instead opt to eat a Lv80 boost then run off and do your own thing, you really have no business complaining that the game didn't explain its basic functionality to you.

tl;dr:  RTFM

The story inherently teaches you nothing that you're unable to learn just by reading and doing. The story never tells you how to avoid AoE, how to use a WP, or Dodging playing the game, , talking to a scout or doing the Dodge challenge outside of story does

• Confused 4

13 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

And a counter argument to that is Josh Strife Hayes, who respond to the question "Why did streamer make dumb mistakes ?"

And the response was simple, when someone is streaming, his focus is to keep the audience entertained, so that means the streamer attention would be directed more toward the audience rather than the game, so it end up doing dumb mistakes while playing. 

Mistakes a player focused on the game won't do

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

And a counter argument to that is Josh Strife Hayes, who respond to the question "Why did streamer make dumb mistakes ?"

And the response was simple, when someone is streaming, his focus is to keep the audience entertained, so that means the streamer attention would be directed more toward the audience rather than the game, so it end up doing dumb mistakes while playing. 

Mistakes a player focused on the game won't do

While Josh has some good takes on gameplay in relation to human behaviour unless he has an education in human science that has to do with behaviour he knows just as much as the next person. And from what I've seen his general knowledge is as low as the next person's. His bias is "I would do this based on my existing knowledge." Smarts are the ability to use your existing knowledge in a different context that looks similar. And the average person, depending on multiple factors, rates rather low on smart behaviour. People like us, and Josh, are exceptions when it comes to gaming since we have a multitude of experiences in relation to gaming, and as such, that's our bias when we think what people should be able to do, we're the norm, the absolute expected minimum of what other people should be able to do.

I have a combination of physical traits that puts me in a group that compromises about 8 million of the total population on Earth. If I took myself as the average incredibly few people would be average.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

WizardsVaultChoice.png

Cool, please tell the UI team that more distance to separate elements visually would be good, here I had to stop a moment when looking at PvP to realise which checkbox belongs to it (yes you will understand it if you go from left to right, but still, dinstance between different elements should be higher than dinstance between atoms composing an element 😛) 

I think they would agree

Edited by TheThief.8475
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

@Rubi Bayer.8493, I second this question. I'd like to know whether checking all three categories (PvE, PvP and WvW) will give me more options to choose from or whether it will limit my options to one per category?

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

If I had to guess, and that's all we can do for now, they are going to cap the daily rewards regardless of which game modes you select.

Today, "dailies" are generally associated with 3 task from any game mode to get our 2 gold. Very few people, if any, actually do every single daily.

It's not hard to replicate that behavior, AA currency or not, within the new system. So you'd pick whatever game mode you want to play knowing you are not missing much, since AA would be capped. No one cares about dailies chests (with some exceptions like WvW potions), so nothing will change there.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

The story inherently teaches you nothing that you're unable to learn just by reading and doing. The story never tells you how to avoid AoE, how to use a WP, or Dodging playing the game, , talking to a scout or doing the Dodge challenge outside of story does

True, the story just directs you to where that stuff is but it doesn't force it upon you once you get there. As the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." Would you prefer to be waterboarded?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

True, the story just directs you to where that stuff is but it doesn't force it upon you once you get there. As the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." Would you prefer to be waterboarded?

The only thing I learned from this post is that you've no idea how waterboarding works since you compare it to being forced to drink. Waterboarding is when a soaked piece of cloth is placed over your face in a way that covers the once and the mouth. This tricks your brain into thinking you're drowning since you get water in both your nose and mouth. Repeat ad nauseum until you break.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, TheThief.8475 said:

Cool, please tell the UI team that more distance to separate elements visually would be good, here I had to stop a moment when looking at PvP to realise which checkbox belongs to it (yes you will understand it if you go from left to right, but still, dinstance between different elements should be higher than dinstance between atoms composing an element 😛) 

I think they would agree

OK, I admit what I heard was wrong. Anet should have made this more clear in the first place.

• ArenaNet Staff
20 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

The only way I see that option to even be worth mentioning is if it provided more tasks from the picked category -sort of like picking preferred one in guild mission panel. Whether it provides 1, 4 or 6 additional options is another thing, but if it doesn't provide any additional choices, it would be a rather pointless implementation imo. 

Pretty much this. 

Everyone gets the same number of objectives. This just determines what kind of objectives you get--this gives you some control over that so you can focus on doing objectives in game modes you enjoy. If you select multiple game modes, we try to give you an equal number from each one you selected. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1