How the new daily system in Wizards Vault reduced my enjoyment of GW2 [Merged]

Honestly I sleep walk through the majority of the daily and weekly quests. The mini dungeons for pve and the defense ones for wvw are the outliers. But after 11 years I am glad to have a change. I like picking what I get instead of the mandated login reward. It doesn't effect my play hardly at all. I just might choose to do a meta I may have otherwise skipped. 

For me the old system was almost like being given the same sandwich every day. You know what's going to be in it and there is little to look forward to. 

If you want to continue to do dailies with friends and family you just pick the same option/s from the wizards vault. Even if you don't it's still fun to help out. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tiamat.8254 said:

If you want to continue to do dailies with friends and family you just pick the same option/s from the wizards vault. Even if you don't it's still fun to help out. 

This is one of the problems.  Not everyone has the same selections, so friends and family can't always run dailies together.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I used to mix and match from PvE and WvW but I don't really do WvW that much so I'd log in to that mode just to stand on a monument or kill a caravan and then log out because that was less time consuming that some of the awful PvE dailies like going to Verdant Brink and always finding the challenge locked. I don't know how much that is really appreciated by mainly WvW players having PvE logging in just to kill a worm but I guess there will be less of that because you have to be in a mode properly to do the weeklies.

• Like 8

I've said it in another thread, but I miss my 3 spirit shards/day from completing dailies. There is no equivalent in the Wizard Vault. I've managed to complete the dailies every day since SotO dropped and I've gotten a (total) whopping....10 spirit shards.

And I know part of that is because my XP bar has been going into masteries. Even still, under the old system I would have gotten 18 just from doing the dailies in the meantime.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I've said it in another thread, but I miss my 3 spirit shards/day from completing dailies. There is no equivalent in the Wizard Vault. I've managed to complete the dailies every day since SotO dropped and I've gotten a (total) whopping....10 spirit shards.

And I know part of that is because my XP bar has been going into masteries. Even still, under the old system I would have gotten 18 just from doing the dailies in the meantime.

There are tomes of knowledge, 35 in the first 77 day cycle, so 5 per week. It's not 3 per day of course but it is something. At 8aa per tome you could buy all 35 in the first week for not even half the awarded aa for the weeklies.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I have over 12k spirit shards and no real use for them anymore. This is really nothing you can miss with the new dailies. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

There are tomes of knowledge, 35 in the first 77 day cycle, so 5 per week. It's not 3 per day of course but it is something. At 8aa per tome you could buy all 35 in the first week for not even half the awarded aa for the weeklies.

You are correct on both points. It is something, but nothing compared to the previous system. I'm not even saying the spirit shards should be free (though I think they could easily be popped back into the daily reward chest). I just want a way to still get the same amount (or more) through the new system. The cap on ToK doesn't really make sense to me, if I'm being honest. I dont see why 35 for 3 months of time is a reasonable cap.

1 minute ago, vares.8457 said:

I have over 12k spirit shards and no real use for them anymore. This is really nothing you can miss with the new dailies. 

That's you. By your own point, this issue doesn't affect you. There are plenty of players like you who don't need some of these resources anymore (Karma and obsidian shards come to mind as well). They are still essential resources for most players.

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 12
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

It would be nice if someone did the old vs new rewardmath where you do the absolute minimum effort on the new, like doing 2/4 dailies and 3/6 weeklies for a 30 day cycle, not even completing them daily/weekly.

I mean if someone can even manage to do that low effort. I played WvW for 1 hour yesterday and finished 3/6 weekly before I had finished 4/4 daily, lol.

Here's two of my attempts. They aren't precise, but it sure looks to me like putting in less effort than before can net you better, or at least comparable rewards.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

23 hours ago, wolonggong.3469 said:

Name one that is worse.

ESO: overloads your limited inventory with mostly trash, some crown store baits, and also induces fomo because if you are not logging in every day you are loosing out on the only few decent "rewards".

More so:
BDO: Same reasons - tons of trash to overload limited inventory slots, slightly less on fomo because it allows you to claim twice on weekends if you fell behind (1h has to pass between claims tho), more of rng boxes within the rewards.

Arguable, and not truelly proper MMO (more like MMO-lite):

Warframe: endless carousel of complete randomness. Outside of specific tresholds (every 50th daily login) what you get is complete randomness varying everywhere from pointless spin at roulette, to some actually nice stuff (doesn't help that the "best" you can get there is literally discount on games premium currency).

By comparision in GW2: in current system, you get 5 points for logging in, those points accumulate in their own specific place (no inventory clutter) and when you are ready you can pick whatever you consider to be worth those points for you. You loose nothing but those 5 points of that day if you don't log in, so not much of fomo. And as far as login part of the system goes, there is virtually no randomness involved.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, idpersona.3810 said:

You are correct on both points. It is something, but nothing compared to the previous system. I'm not even saying the spirit shards should be free (though I think they could easily be popped back into the daily reward chest). I just want a way to still get the same amount (or more) through the new system. The cap on ToK doesn't really make sense to me, if I'm being honest. I dont see why 35 for 3 months of time is a reasonable cap.

I'm actually not correct, I can't do math apparently. It's just little over 3 per week. It's not an issue for me, I have more shards than I'll ever use, but I can see it's a pretty huge nerf that can cripple some player's crafting.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:24 AM, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

ESO: overloads your limited inventory with mostly trash, some crown store baits, and also induces fomo because if you are not logging in every day you are loosing out on the only few decent "rewards".

More so:
BDO: Same reasons - tons of trash to overload limited inventory slots, slightly less on fomo because it allows you to claim twice on weekends if you fell behind (1h has to pass between claims tho), more of rng boxes within the rewards.

Arguable, and not truelly proper MMO (more like MMO-lite):

All MMOs have some trash items and limited packspace. Its the overall that matters and ESOs can dump more money on you in a given month than you can earn unless you are farming hard for a week and still have to get lucky on being able to sell to other players to actually earn the money. Same with BDO, at least one great payout a week. And as you say at the end of my quote, the rest are not even MMOs thus not even going to touch on them. I was expecting someone to try to go more obscure with a DDO or Neverwinter lol but I could also show how theirs is better than the current one this game now uses.

The point is simple. GW2 went from log in and get a reward to now having to work for the reward and thus all MMOs now instantly have a better login reward system. The daily/weekly's are now worse than what we had. Do them, get the reward to do them and try to get enough currency for something and the improved payouts are locked behind the new xpac this a 100% decrease in terms of quality system for anyone that does not have the expansion with, as its clear to see, many that do have the expansion still not liking it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

39 minutes ago, wolonggong.3469 said:

Its the overall that matters and ESOs can dump more money on you in a given month than you can earn unless you are farming hard for a week and still have to get lucky on being able to sell to other players to actually earn the money

That is factually incorrect. There are rarely months that have decent amount of gold in them, but it is nothing compared to what I was able to do casually without grinding and with no "luck" on sales involved.

40 minutes ago, wolonggong.3469 said:

Same with BDO, at least one great payout a week.

Not from the login rewards. And family fame system is still pennies compared to what you can actively earn.

41 minutes ago, wolonggong.3469 said:

I was expecting someone to try to go more obscure with a DDO or Neverwinter

I assumed that Neverwinter dids the same thing as STO does - so not login rewards at all

47 minutes ago, wolonggong.3469 said:

The point is simple. GW2 went from log in and get a reward to now having to work for the reward and thus all MMOs now instantly have a better login reward system.

And that "simple" point is also factually incorrect. Not only you can still log in and get rewards in GW2 (albeit less in monthly totals thatn before if all you do is only logins) you have a full control over what you are getting. And getting your limited inventory overloaded with useless items or premium store baits, is not "instantly better" than no login reward system at all.

50 minutes ago, wolonggong.3469 said:

The daily/weekly's are now worse than what we had.

Arguable - more rigid to be sure, but much more rewarding.

51 minutes ago, wolonggong.3469 said:

Do them, get the reward to do them and try to get enough currency for something

And within a week and a half, of not even doing all the dailies (or weeklies while at it) I was already able to amass more gold and valuable items that I could ever get under the previous system of login rewards and dailies.

52 minutes ago, wolonggong.3469 said:

and the improved payouts are locked behind the new xpac this

There are some rewards in the store that are locked, and a handfull of one time per season tasks that not only do not amount to that much of acclaim in the big picture, but also are all tasks invovling expac activities, so even if it was not locked, it would be impossibe to do regardless.

Oh and from the rewards I did claim so far myself the only ones requiring the expac, are gloves skin and heavy crafting bags - everything else - so grand majority of "worth" I have got out of that system so far - is available to everyone.

56 minutes ago, wolonggong.3469 said:

this a 100% decrease in terms of quality system for anyone that does not have the expansion with, as its clear to see, many that do have the expansion still not liking it.

I am quite confident that you do not have statistically significant data sample to support the "many" not liking it. I would not be surprised if all the evidence to that was you looking at these forums, and maybe reddit - which is very biased sample, because most of the time people come in here (or to reddit) to complain about things, not praise them.

If by any miniscule chance you actually did confer proper research with statistically relevant sample size among players not owning expansion, feel free to share the papers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/28/2023 at 11:24 AM, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Very well put. The lack of choice is a large aspect here that impacts the enjoyment of the system. The old system gave you a varied amount of options and could be a fun checklist of how many of these across various game modes can I do as I play. The more limited system, being both random from player to player also leads to groups needing to split up to do things before they can get back together, so it leads to more solo versus group play which is kind of counter intuitive. The old system would focus people in various maps but that was by intent I assumed, maybe that bad is on me, so there was more activity across various parts of the world be that in PvE, WvW or sPvP. The new system does that on paper but not if it means your group is moving in different directions. The biggest issue is the lack of choice. Would be curious if analytics weren't showing a decreased amount of people doing and completing dailies after the changeover.

Yeah that's a very good point, I wonder that as well. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

On 8/26/2023 at 6:11 AM, Teribury Night.5702 said:

In addition to the points made in the first post, I think the thing I miss most is actually having choices.  We had TWELVE dailies to choose from and only needed to do Three and could choose to do more if we liked.  Now, it's "You don't get ANY choices, do these three or go jump off a cliff...."  If they don't want to give rewards for doing additional dailies, that's fine, but give me back a few choices..  I've selected PVE dailies and it would be nice if I had five or six to choose from to do my three.  I also have more than one account and dailies DO NOT MATCH on all of them.  So like @Kaliwenda.3428 said, there's no longer a social aspect to getting dailies done between players!  People WANT to play together, but you're forcing them apart when it comes to dailies and weeklies.   This is not encouraging for the community!

I totally agree with you on the first part of your statement that there should be atleast a reroll possibility or just 1 or 2 extra daylie every day to choose from.

what i cant agree with is that people complain about not beeing able to have the same daylies as their friends to do them together since there is a allways a majority of people in the open world doing their content alone so the current randome daylie system greatly improves the possibility for them to meet other people along their way and help them accomplish something they would other wise not be able to or spent much more time on or just felt lonely while doing otherwise.

the current daily system helps the whole game feel more populated at any time while beeing the least impactful or damaging change to the ecosystem and this alone is a very big improvement for the future of the game since this will make it more likely for new players to stick around and support the game along their way as we did when we started when this was not an issue and every thing in general was well populated since it was the Newest content at that point.

im open for other suggestions but im all in for this descission right now because we dont have any thing else right now that is doing that for the game.

• Confused 6

Despite all the calculations and opinion, I find the new dailies (and weeklies) uninspiring. They leave me flat. That may change with time, but for now I am unable to log in and become enthusiastic about doing anything. I do still do some exploring and grinding for stuff in the new areas, but it's beginning to become less enjoyable with every day spent chugging along. 

• Like 10
  • Confused 2

The devs who implemented this new system seem not to have fully appreciated the role of the old daily system in serving to direct players to particular activities/zones within the game. There seems to be little underlying logic behind the new tasks, as many content types are ignored while others are promoted for no obvious reason.  Under the old system, I got many of my achievements done by strategically waiting for a particular daily to come up, because I knew there would be more players available to help me with the content. I was only able to finish my Conservation of Magic achievements (the ones where you have to do the ley-line coalescence events) by waiting for the (X Zone) Event Completer dailies to come up; if I tried to do them when the daily wasn't up, the zone would be deserted. There used to be dailies for doing dungeons; now that they're gone, the eternal struggle of finding a group for one is only going to get harder (also, RIP to the bonus tokens from the daily chest). And as someone who hates doing jumping puzzles, anytime I needed one for an achievement, I would wait for the daily and rely on my friendly neighborhood mesmer to port me; now, if the wiki is reliable, dailies for most JPs have either been removed or moved to weekly, meaning I either have to wait for weeks to get my port (if the JP even ever comes up), ask for help in LFG/map chat and hope someone is willing, or spend hours falling off of things. With event completer, dungeon completer, and JP dailies all gone, there is going to be much less incentive for players to engage with core game content. And that will make life more difficult for players who need/want to do this content.

The other big problem, as many have already pointed out, is the reduction of choice under the new system. With the old system, I could choose from a total of 12 dailies in PvE, WvW, and PvP, all giving different mini rewards related to the game mode. Under the new system, all dailies and weeklies give the same rewards regardless of game mode, so the obvious choice for someone who plays multiple modes is to pick the easiest ones, which so far seem to be the PvE ones. The removal of reward potions from WvW and PvP was also a mistake, even if skirmish chests have been buffed to compensate, as this again reduces choice. Before, it was possible to save potions so that if, say, you needed some dungeon currency in a pinch, you could use the potions to quickly complete the Ascalonian Catacombs track and then switch back to your usual track during your actual playtime. You could also save potions in anticipation of the release of a new reward track, which I did several times. In fact, reward potions from daily chests are pretty much what got me into WvW to begin with; the old WvW dailies (some of them at least) were fairly quick and offered better rewards than the PvE ones, so after many years of only playing PvE I started doing WvW dailies, then started spending more and more time in WvW and eventually joined a WvW guild. Now, I have barely touched WvW in the last couple weeks and I expect to spend significantly less time there going forward (I already have a decent GoB stockpile so won't need to go back for that anytime soon).

Fortunately, these issues can easily be fixed. Just expand the daily pool, make sure each zone and content type has an associated daily or weekly, and find a way to bring back reward track potions (perhaps as purchasable items from a vendor).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

After several nights of not being able to complete daily due to time constraints and the new 1d10tic daily system, I think I'm walking away from GW2 for a while, after being pretty much a daily player since release.

As time went on, the old dailies were my reason to log on, do some fun pve, wvw or pvp OF MY CHOOSING (from the 12 options). Being forced into 3 now just killed my fun (yes, I know I can select which types, but as we all know, you HAVE to do the 3 they now ASSIGN you). I seem to get that last one that's too long or just a pain in the kitten. I have a job, family, other things going on -- I used to love that I could always find some dailies to do in a couple of minutes, maybe play a bit more, then log for the day.

Anet seems to have suddenly embraced a 'less choice, more grind' mentality, I really don't get it... it's so not what GW has imo historically been about.

I'll certainly keep an eye on developments, but I think a break is in order -- I play games to have fun, it's not fun right now 😕  For those who are enjoying it, I am glad, I'd like to see the game keep going, but I think I'll explore some other games for a while, and start working on my embarrassing list of unplayed Steam games 🙂

Cheers

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 9

They've posted that in an upcoming update (this Tuesday?  I don't recall the exact date) they will be adding another option to the daily tab so there will be a bit of choice.  It's maybe not as much as players were hoping, but if it also grants AA then they likely don't want to up that spigot too much.  For comparison, the weekly tab asks you to do 6 out of 8 options but you can get the extra AA from doing the other two, so it's not capped like in the old system.

6 hours ago, Eypheha.5831 said:

That may change with time, but for now I am unable to log in and become enthusiastic about doing anything.

So uh... do you do all the other dailies every day? All the resource gathering, fractals, strikes, raids, open world stuff, purchases, EVERYTHING you can do on a daily or weekly basis.

Can you imagine how much gold you are missing?

Wizards vault daily is probably like 1% of the content and effort you "should" spend time on every single day in GW2 if you want to maximize it.

But for some reason it seem to take 100% of the time and effort.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1