How the new daily system in Wizards Vault reduced my enjoyment of GW2 [Merged]

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I don't object to that as a suggestion, but I'm pretty sure that Anet has this set up the way that it is for a reason.  They did add an additional item after feedback, so perhaps there is hope for you.

I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

some more complaining should do the trick

join me in my quest for rerolls

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, bossdonut.1938 said:

some more complaining should do the trick

join me in my quest for rerolls

No, thank you.  I don't have an issue with the daily/vault.  If there are things that are assigned that I don't want to do, I simply don't do them.  I'm not worried about AA or the 1G. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

On 8/25/2023 at 1:39 PM, illuminati.8453 said:

They are listening, but it is week 1 so it's going to take just a little bit of time to get sorted out. 🙂

You make good points, many of which I agree with.  I'm confident they will put friends and family back playing together as a priority.  

The value of the rewards being less is debatable.  I, for instance, got extreme value from the old login system, but I'm adjusting to the new one and don't have an issue with it.  If I'm being honest, the old system actually encouraged me to play less because it was so rewarding on its own.  I've done more in-game stuff besides metas because of these changes than I've done in ages. 

They listening yet?

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

They listening yet?

Yeah, it's pretty hard to defend ANet.  They truly are their own worst enemy.  

Common sense says if you are going to release a product perceived as less than previous expansions due to its staggered release, you compensate in ways to elevate the value, such as through customer interaction.  They had a great opportunity to make changes to the dev/player feedback loop and couldn't muster the enthuisiasm.  It perfectly conveys the state of the company.  

On the plus side, as others have said, we got the +1 added to the daily list, so I guess they listened but you have to remember this is ANet - Where Problems Linger and Solutions Vanish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

The cope in the replies is so sad to see. OP is spot on. 

OP is sharing an opinion. Other players are sharing opinions. How FOMO is perceived is likely tied to how close the offered objectives for dailies and weeklies are to a players natural game play and how forced a player feels in having to completed said dailies/weeklies.

What the new system will not do is make disgruntled or burned out veteran players find new enjoyment. Well maybe it might, given it incentivizes engagement with the game versus just login habits which did nothing in regards to actually changing or shaking a player out of their obviously not enjoyable routine.

At some point though, some players might be to far gone that they really should consider taking a break instead of limping on, logging into a game they do not enjoy. Recharge the batteries instead of keeping them on near empty. I don't see how the old login system was in any way helpful in this later case though, besides keeping the addiction up.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 6

On 10/2/2023 at 3:37 AM, Hsanrb.1570 said:

I think a reminder that you do not need 100% of the Astral Acclaim to get everything in the store should be stressed by the community.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wizard's_Vault

Umm ackchually

"Over the course of the 77 days (11 weeks) players can earn up to 16,885 (AA)"

"Total cost of all the limited rewards is 16,575 (AA).
- This does not include the cost to purchase Sanctified weapon skins. 16 weapons would cost 2,400 (AA), and would raise the total to 18,975 (AA)"

Now I know they are adding more special rewards as the season progresses, so this may change, but it's actually not possible to to claim every limited quantity item in the store. Even if you complete every single task (which is also not possible due to bugged events and duplicates). So for the completionists out there, yes missing a single task is potentially lost progress.

EDIT: See post below from @IAmNotMatthew.1058 correcting me.

Edited by Remus Darkblight.1673
Inaccurate information
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wizard's_Vault

Umm ackchually

"Over the course of the 77 days (11 weeks) players can earn up to 16,885 (AA)"

"Total cost of all the limited rewards is 16,575 (AA).
- This does not include the cost to purchase Sanctified weapon skins. 16 weapons would cost 2,400 (AA), and would raise the total to 18,975 (AA)"

Now I know they are adding more special rewards as the season progresses, so this may change, but it's actually not possible to to claim every limited quantity item in the store. Even if you complete every single task (which is also not possible due to bugged events and duplicates). So for the completionists out there, yes missing a single task is potentially lost progress.

To be able to get every limited quantity item you need Soto otherwise things like T6 mat bags, armor skins and such are locked. Without Soto to buy everything limited you'd only need a bit below 11k AA, so you'd have ~6k AA left to spend on other items.

With Soto you have access to the Special tasks increasing the max possible AA - assuming no extra Special tasks get added - to 21 360 leaving you with 2385 AA to spend on other items if you buy all Sanctified weapon skins as well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

To be able to get every limited quantity item you need Soto otherwise things like T6 mat bags, armor skins and such are locked. Without Soto to buy everything limited you'd only need a bit below 11k AA, so you'd have ~6k AA left to spend on other items.

With Soto you have access to the Special tasks increasing the max possible AA - assuming no extra Special tasks get added - to 21 360 leaving you with 2385 AA to spend on other items if you buy all Sanctified weapon skins as well.

If that's the case then I stand corrected. I know it doesn't affect most players, as the only stuff that really matters are the exclusive skins and permanent account bonuses, for which there are plenty of points without needing to do absolutely every task. After that you just want to get whatever you might be working on, i.e. Laurels, Clovers, etc. which you used to miss out on under the old system anyway if you didn't log in for a day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Good summary.

If you now sort out all the "trash" rewards from astral acclaim (Transmutation Charges, Vision Crystals, Upgrade Extractor, Essence of Luck, Obsidian Shards, Revive Orbs, even the ascended chests, etc.) most of which can either be acquired cheaper via other means or are strait up near useless, the total sum of astral acclaim needed to get all "meaningful" rewards drops to: approximately 11,350 astral acclaim.

That includes all "value" items like Black Lion Mastery Coffers for selling (aka gold), all Laurels, all cheap gold bags, all tomes, all weapon and armor skins, the emote, even the near useless Build Storage Expansion, etc. Less than half of what can be acquired (and we have no idea if more special tasks are on the way, for the very first season of the wizard vault which by all logic should be the one which rewards the lowest amount of aa, given no legacy items are there yet).

Heck if one where to add in the 2% gold find (absolutely overpriced and useless given the amount of direct gold can be bought for the same amount of aa, but hey, number go up) and the 1,300 aa for saving up into the next season it still leaves one at 14,650 aa, just shy of 15k out of 21,360 possible.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

If it was more difficult to get the 'exclusive' items I would agree, but I comfortably got them all and am now just churning out the repeatable gold. I don't feel like I cant miss a day, its just in game currency I am missing now. If they keep costs about the same for future seasons I would be happy to skip days. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Daeth.8912 said:

If it was more difficult to get the 'exclusive' items I would agree, but I comfortably got them all and am now just churning out the repeatable gold. I don't feel like I cant miss a day, its just in game currency I am missing now. If they keep costs about the same for future seasons I would be happy to skip days. 

I'm kind of in the same boat.  Pretty much took everything that I wanted.  Would like to do daily (and some of them get done through regular game play anyway) but don't want to keep running up against the cap so I end up skipping them.  Wonder if Anet has metrics on players like me and if they'll make some adjustments?  /shrug

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, kharmin.7683 said:

I'm kind of in the same boat.  Pretty much took everything that I wanted.  Would like to do daily (and some of them get done through regular game play anyway) but don't want to keep running up against the cap so I end up skipping them.  Wonder if Anet has metrics on players like me and if they'll make some adjustments?  /shrug

If you are going to cap why not just get the 30 point gold? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

OP is sharing an opinion. Other players are sharing opinions. How FOMO is perceived is likely tied to how close the offered objectives for dailies and weeklies are to a players natural game play and how forced a player feels in having to completed said dailies/weeklies.

What the new system will not do is make disgruntled or burned out veteran players find new enjoyment. Well maybe it might, given it incentivizes engagement with the game versus just login habits which did nothing in regards to actually changing or shaking a player out of their obviously not enjoyable routine.

At some point though, some players might be to far gone that they really should consider taking a break instead of limping on, logging into a game they do not enjoy. Recharge the batteries instead of keeping them on near empty. I don't see how the old login system was in any way helpful in this later case though, besides keeping the addiction up.

uhg.  bad enough I have to log in.  now I have to do stuff?  what kind of game makes you do stuff?!!!   its bad design and predatory I tell you. 

How am I supposed to have time to enjoy a game thats forcing me to play it?

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Daeth.8912 said:

If you are going to cap why not just get the 30 point gold? 

If one is down to getting 1 gold for 30 points, seems like there are better things to do in game...for example, I'm still working on map completion for a legendary, while my dailies are in WvW, so I will choose to skip doing the dailies if I want more time to finish a legendary.  Others that do only PvE dailies may find that there are enough of them in non-core maps that they will also be faced with a similar decision on how to spend their time once the benefit/cost ratio starts to decline for Vault items.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sylvyn.4750 said:

If one is down to getting 1 gold for 30 points, seems like there are better things to do in game...for example, I'm still working on map completion for a legendary, while my dailies are in WvW, so I will choose to skip doing the dailies if I want more time to finish a legendary.  Others that do only PvE dailies may find that there are enough of them in non-core maps that they will also be faced with a similar decision on how to spend their time once the benefit/cost ratio starts to decline for Vault items.

Half of them you'll get passively anyway, like log in, dodge things, or do combos. Really no need to overcap when the option to drop 30 for gold is there.  And often the 3rd/4th is so low effort / quick there's no reason not to do it for a few gold. 

They should just unlock all 3 modes dailies (15 total) and cap you at 5 completed, with 4 for the daily objective. That way you can jump into another mode if there is something you can't or don't want to complete.  Having to gamble beforehand whether you want to do that type of content (and what options you'll get) isn't great. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Daeth.8912 said:

They should just unlock all 3 modes dailies (15 total) and cap you at 5 completed, with 4 for the daily objective. That way you can jump into another mode if there is something you can't or don't want to complete.  Having to gamble beforehand whether you want to do that type of content (and what options you'll get) isn't great. 

That sounds suspiciously like the previous daily format.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

If you now sort out all the "trash" rewards from astral acclaim (Transmutation Charges, Vision Crystals, Upgrade Extractor, Essence of Luck, Obsidian Shards, Revive Orbs, even the ascended chests, etc.) most of which can either be acquired cheaper via other means or are strait up near useless, the total sum of astral acclaim needed to get all "meaningful" rewards drops to: approximately 11,350 astral acclaim.

The ascended armor chests are a quick and easy way to get some research notes. Three ascended boots gave me 1550 notes a few weeks ago. Might not be the most economically optimal way, it's about 3 times as expensive as crafting stuff if you count 30aa per gold, but the convenience trumps it for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Daeth.8912 said:

You're not "gambling" anything here because -as far as I understand it- the goal here is to allow you to play the modes you like, and not to give you large choice of tasks where you just carefully cherry pick  the fastest/easiest 3 you can see. I don't know how anything here is supposed to be -even not literal- gambling.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Sorry, I don't understand this attitude.  Spend it and earn some more.  Unless you want to take a break from dailies and weeklies.  Why stop just because you've maxed your points.  There's got to be something available to spend it on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There can be certain WvW dailies which can be nearly impossible to get, or for weeklies, are not traditional WvW (obsidian sanctum JP).  I had originally chosen WvW + PvE for my dailies, but after seeing some WvW pop up that would be really difficult for me to achieve based on when I play (often no zergs), I switched to 100% PvE - while some of those are annoying, at least all are doable.

But this has reduced the amount I play in WvW, because I no longer do any dailies before.  Under the old system, I'd often do the WvW dailies, even if some were slower than PvE ones, because I wanted to the rewards (removal of potions kills that anyways) - I wasn't always looking for the fastest solution.  I often skipped PvE JPs - even though I could do many of them really quickly, I just didn't find them interesting.  And when I used to do WvW dailies, I'd sometimes get caught playing WvW for a while.

Even if there was always a zerg when I played, there would be cases where I might want to skip WvW - the intensity and amount of stuff going on isn't great if I have a headache, but low key PvE stuff is something I can still deal with.

The other thing is the lack of diversity in the PvE choices - the same JP seems to show up about 1-2 times/week.  While this can be easy to do, I'd often rather do something else instead, but even with the revised system of 1 extra choice, that 1 extra PvE choice might be a lot longer or something I'd like to do even less.  So in that case, I'd gladly hop in to WvW and do something there, even if it took a bit longer.  After all, every 5 minutes you get rewards in WvW, so even if something takes a little bit of time, you get something for that effort.

I thought there was some announcement that they goal of this was to make it so players could get their dailies done without needing to go out of their way to do it, but I find it the opposite, but if a 12 choices (4 of each game mode), I probably would get them done by normal play without needing to hunt a JP, activity, etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

The ascended armor chests are a quick and easy way to get some research notes. Three ascended boots gave me 1550 notes a few weeks ago. Might not be the most economically optimal way, it's about 3 times as expensive as crafting stuff if you count 30aa per gold, but the convenience trumps it for me.

Thanks, that is what I had calculated, which is why I haven't bought those. Nice to get confirmation on my back-of-the-envelope maths.

• Confused 3