Poll: Do you have more or less fun in the game because of relics?

Zok.4956

Do you have more or less fun in the game because of relics?  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have more or less fun in the game because of relics?

• Since the introduction of relics, I'm having more fun overall because of the relics.
    • Since the introduction of relics, I'm having less fun overall because of the relics.
    • I've dealt with the relics, but I have neither more nor less fun through relics. Some things are more fun, some things are less fun, but overall it's balanced.
    • I haven't dealt with relics yet

It's been a few days since the relic system was introduced. So my question is whether you now have more fun in the game because of the relic system (e.g. because you can now use builds with relics that you enjoy) or not (because e.g. certain things are no longer available with relics) , or if relics are not so relevant for you.

I know, of course, that there will be additions to the relic system in the future, but my question is about what we currently have in the game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

Honestly, I don't have a problem with Relics, I'm mostly dissatisfied with the Relic of the Pack because I actually used (and still use) the Rune of the Pack and the loss of that effect has made it more difficult for me to maintain 100% Fury uptime as well as sustain 25 might stacks. 

But my overall expirience has been about the same, found a replacement effect for now, but I'm desperate to get more Relic effects. 

I don't think they're a fail, but they could definitely be better. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

My relics carried over so I was lucky. It was still a stupid change

It was a half baked change.

I think it would be a much better system if it released in a finished state.

6/6 rune for special effect was silly in the first place, when it was pretty much mandatory to have 6/6 anyway

Much better to have flexibility, but there's just not enough runes ... Hopefully soon there will be

Would have thought every existing rune effect would have just been carried over to a relic 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

My relics carried over so I was lucky. It was still a stupid change

Lucky you,

I exchanged (5 Might/Fury/Swiftness) for 16 seconds on a 30 sec CD. 

For:

1 Stability for 8 seconds on healing skill (20sec cooldown). 

Fortunantly for me I used them as fillers to my already boon-rich rotation. 

I trust Anet will give us good relics eventually. 

• Like 2

4 I've hardly bothered with Relics, I have a stack of Relic boxes in my bank and I've only used two, I think, Relic of the Thief on one character and Relic of the Monk on another.

The current selection of Relics is pretty lacklustre. The core ones anyway.

Edited by Pifil.5193
Wrong number
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Overall I'm having less fun with the relics since the selection is so small and most of the relics are bad. I also like to play power builds and Relic of the Thief instead of being the 5% passive bonus we had before now makes me feel like I have to rush from enemy to enemy to keep it up or feel punished for losing the stacks. This is especially bad for melee builds and makes me not even want to play them anymore in open world. It's fine in strikes or fractals for the most part, but those aren't the majority of my playtime. Rifts highlight this problem with having enemies appear over such a large area that you oftentimes have to mount up to get to the next enemy (not even groups, just 1 or 2 enemies).

We also now have more visual and audio clutter coming from other players relic activation effects.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

Them being soulbound on use just...it was already bad, the implementation of relics, but that killed them for me. I can't move them between chars.

So, yeah, I'm just going to use my free ones.

Yup -and the way their descriptions are rather vague doesn't help either.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it's made any difference to me. I couldn't remember which runes my characters were using before the update, I've picked relics for 3 or 4 of them and already can't remember what those are. At some point I'll pick ones for my other characters. I assume the effects happen sometimes but there's so much going on in combat it's unlikely I'll notice.

I don't think any of my characters have a full set of infusions and more than once I've found one that was missing runes or sigils, or had ones that no longer worked because of a long-ago balance patch (like a character with no interrupt skills using sigils that trigger on interrupt). I wouldn't be surprised to find at least one I use regularly is still missing a sigil somewhere. New upgrades were never going to be something that mattered to me.

• Like 7

I just wish all 6th relic options had been carried over to relics. Specifically the ones I'm missing are the health/barrier from Runes of Sanctuary, and needing a relic with 25% movement speed increase from fireworks.  If I want the 25% movement increase, now my options are less than they were before (mostly going to Travelers runes.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Orion Templar.4589 said:

and needing a relic with 25% movement speed increase from fireworks.  If I want the 25% movement increase, now my options are less than they were before (mostly going to Travelers runes.)

Rune of surging. 

Stat-wise, it's similar to fireworks, that's probably why fireworks loose the movement speed (the 2 runes would have been similar) 

Honestly I don't even bother with relics for the most part. After two days of messing around with them I stopped worrying about them, and honestly I don't notice a difference.

Most I've tried was either too situational or lacked any meaningful impact. Only the ones that give bonus damage and boon duration really stand out, the other ones are just sad.

Half of them are just like worse sigil effects, like 3 charges of a 2 second poison effect after you used a heaing skill with a 20 second cooldown. Even the flashy ones like Cerus deal ... 200 damage to 5 targets and remove boons slower than enemies can reapply them. Absolutely amazing.

• Like 7

These options are a bit odd.  But overall as far as building a character goes, I like the new system better.   Being able to use chronomancer runes on condition builds for instance is something that wasn’t possible before.  Obviously some things were removed that shouldn’t have been, like the summons rune bonuses, but the new options are fun to play with.  

• Like 4

The worst change. it feels forceful, and removing the legendary runes utility make Anet looking at the playerbase like they are looking at fools.

There is some rellics that are a bit fun like the big eye.

But you feel they made the relics thing in a haste, they haven't tested them properly.

I'm a bit sad about relics. If there was more care in making them and testing them i think it could have been turned great. But at the moment, most of them are crap that belong to the bin.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Rune of surging. 

Stat-wise, it's similar to fireworks, that's probably why fireworks loose the movement speed (the 2 runes would have been similar) 

Good point - I'd looked at that, but I'm pretty low on Ley Line Crystals at the moment so I couldn't buy a set of those. But overall my point was that the 25% movement speed increase shouldn't be tied to a rune set, since it conflicts with the stated philosophy of why Relics were created.  Now in order to get that special effect I want, I'm locked into a certain stat combination of the only runes that offer it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The relic system has most definitely not led to my having more fun in the game.  Also, the relic system has not led to my having less fun.  About the only thing I have noticed about relics is that there are so few options in relics that don't actively scream not to be used.  So, the relic system's current iteration gets a grade of D.  And, in the words of a former college professor of my acquaintance... "A 'D' is an indicator that you are not trying.  You have to try to get an 'F."

• Like 10

I have feeling that advertisement team that wrote promotion text for this expansion work in different building that development team are. Premise was: were detaching 6th rune effects from rune set and let You freely add that bonus to any rune set you want, therefore more choices.

Reality? Some1 just throw random effects on relics.

Well thats not too bad. The hope is, relic system is not finished....

Sorry for negativity, but thats how it is.

• Like 15

In general, I don't have a problem with the idea of the relic system (splitting rune 6th effects into separate items to allow more build diversity), but the implementation of it leaves a lot to be desired.

First and foremost, the fact that they're releasing smaller "packs" of relics per release every 3 months is a silly idea. All of these rune 6th effects have already existed in the game for years, why do we now need to wait for "expansion" relics for 3 - 6 months before we can get our old full functionality back? Why do we LOSE functionality at an expansion release?

Second, the fact that sooo many relics are missing crucial information in their tooltips makes it feel like this was a last minute rushed design instead of a true implementation feature. It makes absolutely no sense that the VAST majority of relics force you to figure out the numbers for both duration and stacks yourself (I.E., relic of the chronomancer just says "Well skills grant you quickness" but not how long the quickness lasts). Coupled with the fact that we only got confirmation that there would be a legendary relic AFTER people complained about their legendary runes just makes this whole system feel like an oversight.

I think this system *could* be great, but right now there are too many glaring issues with it to make it worthwhile. We'll just have to see as the months go by how they adjust it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2