One size fits all armour

All armour for all classes?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should all armour pieces be available for all classes?

• Simply, Yes.
    • No, because...
    • Maybe just some.
    • I'm undecided .
    • That's what outfits are for.
  2. 2. Do you think it should be just skins or stats too?

• Just the skins
    • Full stats, the works
    • I answered no to first question.

This question needs a poll, I feel.

Let's see people's opinions on this.

Even though the forum number of players represents only a small fraction of all the players base, it might still be worth the stats.

So. Pretty simple and straightforward question. 

Do you think the devs should make all armour pieces available for all classes?

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

Personally fine with this if it's just the skins. Some outfits and armour skins from the Gem Shop already heavily resemble one given armour type and are useable by all characters regardless of armour class. This just expands that. Messing with stats can potentially add power creep and we have enough of that now.

Now, will this potentially cause issues with mixing medium armour looks with the other two because of how they're put together? Maybe. But I guess it's up to players to determine if a potential clipping issue is problematic or not on their character.

Edit: However if there's some big technical issue here then I fully understand saving this for a later time when the resources are available. It's not super important, but I always welcome more cosmetic character customisation options.

Edited by Kiki.9450
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Lastly, the amount of requests this specific topic has had throughout the years, only proves that loads of people want it.

If you compare it to the number of players in gw2 or even active users of the forum, it's not "loads of people" at all. 😉 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Lastly, the amount of requests this specific topic has had throughout the years, only proves that loads of people want it.

Just because lots of people ask for it it's not guaranteed to be a good idea. People have been asking for fishing, Twisted Marionette, LWS1 and old LA as well. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Just because lots of people ask for it it's not guaranteed to be a good idea. People have been asking for fishing, Twisted Marionette, LWS1 and old LA as well. 

True enough.

Even though I voted "yes" myself, it's good to have some uniqueness. 

Then there's the clipping issues as @Kiki.9450 mentioned.

It would be nice to have some, maybe, just a few armour pieces that are available to all classes.

For instance, a leather jacket.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Whichever way you want.

Skin only: hmm maybe if it's trivial to do, but after reading a bit in those other linked threads it seems like there may be a huge technical limitation to mix and match gear with differing weights. I think the common ground would be to have the player be able to swap between the weight classes but be locked in to only using pieces of the same weight.

Gear with stats: No. I feel like we would lose a bit of class fantasy in the process and I don't know what implications this would have on exotic or ascended gear. For legendary gear this means you're done after the first set. Is that good/bad? I don't really know, I'm 5/6 pieces in and will get my completed set either next week or the week after. I feel like the game is going in the direction of making legendaries easier to obtain and making them also more useful so this seems like something they might actually do.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

It would be nice to have some, maybe, just a few armour pieces that are available to all classes.

For instance, a leather jacket.

That's what outfits are for.  Now, a leather jacket as part of an outfit set would not be a bad suggestion/request.

• Like 5

No because of the technical issues mentioned above and in pretty much every thread ever on this subject.  They didn't design it to be possible when they started working on it maybe 15 years ago, so they'd have to literally remake every armor piece in the game to allow this.  Given how ungodly long it takes them to make -one- armor set, it's a non-starter.  They've started releasing new armor that looks the same in every weight (Astral Ward, Rift Hunter, Oneiros-Spun are the newest sets, and there have been individual pieces via achievements or gem store that also function like that), but the old stuff is highly unlikely to be reworked.

If they -did- manage to do it somehow, I'd say they should do skins only and leave the stats as is.  Homogenizing the stats would require a massive rebalancing of everything since the various weights worn by the professions are designed to mesh with what their skills, weapons, and traits do.

Edited by Donari.5237
  • Like 6

I used to play LOTRO, and loved the cosmetic system there.  I liked the look of some heavier shoulders on a clothie - never tried to dress up one class to look entirely like another though. Outfits were disabled in PVP anyway - can't see why such a thing would bother anyone here, if that were also so.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Do i think a revamp of the armor skin system to make the abovementiond thing possible (and adding new armor skins in the future much easier) would be nice? Yes. Do i think we will ever get one? No - it's likely way too much work, unfortunately.

Still, i'd like if they went back to the roots (i mean, to original ideas they had for the armor system), and no longer lock themselves beyond certain assumptions like every armor set must be available for all races and both male and female (which requires every armor piece to have 10 variants, basically). If not for that, they could have unlocked a number of already existing sets, that currently are available only as npc apparel. Notice, that, this approach would most likely require no code adjustments whatsoever, as those limitations seem to exist completely outside the game, as (according to info we've heard when they were developing the game) NPC visuals were designed to be completely compatible with the player armor system from the get go.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

No, I'm in the "wizards should wear robes and fighters armor" camp. Outfits are already a thing that provides possibilities around that and I think that's (sometimes more than) enough. 

Edited by Ishmael.6740
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

My overall opinion on this is no.

I would not have a problem as such with skins only, but there is a technical issue there in that the different weight classes don't mix. Butt capes on heavy would clip horribly with trench coats from medium for example. It would be a waste of development resources to try and make this work, plus there are also plenty of "all weight" sets in existence already that were designed that way from the get go, and an ever expanding selection of skins for almost any look you could wish for.

Stats and all is a hard no, that would directly mess with game balance, why wouldn't I just wear heavy armour on my traditionally light armour classes? It is objectively better.

First, I do not think this would even be possible due to the differences in the armor(s) themselves, so this is sort of a moot point atm. Second, as I too sorta dislike the statement "simply, yes", and this poll requires both sections to be filled out, I will not cast my vote in either case. However, it is an interesting idea, if not viable at all. Having the ability to use all the armor as Skins only does sound fairly cool to me, as having more "costume" options is always a good thing, BUT if it also included the armor's stats as well, then hell no lol. Tis an interesting idea, but the bottom line is that it is not really doable atm. so kudo's on the thought if anything OP. 🙂

I can see the pro's and the cons. One of the big pro's for me is customisation, but that's also the biggest con. Being able to look at what armour someone is wearing immediately identifies their armour weight (assuming you're familiar with appearances). If everyone can look like everything, you might as well do away with armour classes altogether. This i don't like as it removes the uniqueness of armour weights and basically turns us into npc's.

• Confused 1

Why is it strange? Do you also want to combine the three armour crafts into one gigantic, unwieldy interface and remove 14-20 levels of exp (and associated rewards) from people who levelled them all?

How about a crafting recipe which needs the current armour, the new armour, a transmutation stone and idk, a mystic coin/clover/obsidian shard etc. Whatever crafting station you are on determines the weight of the new armour. EG: I'm on my armoursmith, and want to reskin my gloves. So i take the heavy gloves i already have (or craft/buy/acquire them if acct-bound) and use a trans stone and mystic clover (example) with a pair of medium gloves, hit craft and the result is a pair of heavy gloves with the appearance of medium. The stats would be unchanged/unaffected by the medium gloves used in the recipe. If i was on my leatherworker, the results would be medium gloves with the appearance of heavy.

I don't think this could be a mystic forge recipe due to how the crafting tiers overlap material tiers. It could use a similar recipe as material promotion (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge/Material_Promotion) perhaps but that could get expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

i think its strange that some players are against this, when its already been happening with outfits for over half a decade.

This.

And the standard model setting in competitive means no one is going to be confused by armor weight in a mode where identifying such matters anyway.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4