Housing System will be a new Home Instance?

3 minutes ago, Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

This just sounds like the wardrobe and equipment template system with more steps?

No, the purpose is exhibiting a) special skins you like (such a collection of your legendary weapons) and/or b) your created outfits without wearing it.
It has nothing to do with saving and loading equipment.

Though a cool feature would be using those armor stands to load the skins including their dyes as there are no "cosmetic templates" in the game.

My characters changed their outfits some times over the years. I have screenshots of most of them, but having a gallery that exhibits all outfits I created for my characters over the time would be pretty cool.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, MuscleBobBuffPants.1406 said:

This is not going to be an expansion selling feature.  People already have guild halls, home instances, wardrobes, lounges etc.

People have been asking for housing and land spears for a long time, among other things. Anet is giving (some) players what they have been requesting. So for some, these will be expansion-selling features. I haven't yet seen anything to get overly excited about, other than a few new maps to explore. I'll withhold my judgment on weapons until I see what skills they have come up with.

• Like 1

• ArenaNet Staff
4 hours ago, Therac.6431 said:

Finally, housing has been announced, but we have no real information on what this system will be like.

As mentioned in this morning's news post, we have lots more information coming between now and August 20 when Janthir Wilds launches--we all think you're going to love what you see!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Yeah, I guess you (a) have to be into that stuff to understand and (b) have a need to show it off. Why one doesn't just wear those skins, dyes and weapons, I dunno.

There are only so many equipment templates and over the years people create new outfits.

Having an option to exhibit these outfit and "preserve" them for the future would be a cool thing imo. And I think I'm not the only one thinking so.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MuscleBobBuffPants.1406 said:

This is not going to be an expansion selling feature.  People already have guild halls, home instances, wardrobes, lounges etc.

I'm very excited about housing. I bought the expansion already and am looking forward to it. When you say that people already have guild halls, etc. you clearly don't understand housing. And that's fine but some of us really like to be interior decorators.

• Like 2

What I think what would be fun: Since people talked about wanting their other chars as kind of a "mercenary" (I think such a system existed in GW1): Just allow to use their models (the body indlucing the armor) and allow them to be put in there as NPC.

Or (even better) customizable NPCs (if service NPCs even are planned - and not just the resource nodes + furniture): Allow all unlocked minis to be used (bigger models for a big normal NPC) + with custom name ... to act as vendor/service NPC. More incentive to unlock minis. 😄

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-janthir-wilds/

Quote from the GW2 page:

Homesteads

We’re excited to add our take on account-wide housing with Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds. Your journeys will lead you to your own homestead, an account-wide personal instance with a structure and land for you to decorate and cultivate. The Homesteads feature is unlocked and developed through an associated Mastery line as a place to express yourself, share space with your friends, and access nodes and unlockable resources from your personal story home instance. Before we launch on August 20, we’ll be back to share loads more information and a look at homestead decorating.

Edited by GODh.3892
typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

When you say that people already have guild halls, etc. you clearly don't understand housing. And that's fine but some of us really like to be interior decorators.

This.
I even created my personal guild to use the guild hall as a "home instance"/decoration playground. The high costs for upgrading the guild hall and crafting decorations killed it for me eventually (some simple decorations are very expensive). Making a simple room with some chairs, a table, bookshelfs a carpet and some little things cost me like a hundred gold or more.

Another problem is that Guild Halls - aside from Lost Precipice - simply have no real rooms. And the ones in Lost Precipice are like ruins; not really suitable for a living room or a bed room.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

Yes I know the gem store already funds a lot of the game. Which to me makes player housing more of a cash grab, and I believe this is a direction they're headed. You'll probably be able to buy specific decorations from the gem store, probably different player house maps too. Honestly if it weren't for their art department they probably would be in a much more difficult financial situation. 

I'll give you the RP one that one I can see them getting good use out of it. I can imagine how many portraits of Logan Thackeray they'll surround themselves with (this part is purely a joke from hanging out with Snargle too much, but the rest of the RP part is valid). 

As far as hanging out with friends why wouldn't we just go on adventures together or hang out in discord?

Like I said on the guild hall part they're not that difficult to obtain with a few friends (they don't even have to be in your guild).

I don't know maybe I'm just a salty veteran that's been let down a few too many times by Anet's promises. New players there's TONS of stuff to do, veterans here's 30 minutes of story and a bunch of things to grind to make it look like the story is longer.

If players are spending money on these types of products from the gem store, they're desired items. Naturally there will be hype. I'm a cautiously optimistic person by nature, so I'm sticking with that and wait for more info before casting judgment on it. I'm excited about it (as an RPer), but more excited about the spears and new story/lore/zones to explore.

Anet has been hit or miss for me over the years, but mostly hits or else I wouldn't still be here. SOTO hit strong IMO, but failed to close, especially for the story. I hope they take those lessons learned to Janthir.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

I don't really see the point in player housing. Would someone be able to explain the hype to it? 

It'll be GW3's version of the Eye of the North. A place, WAY out of the way, where we can find the remnants and scraps of a previous hero. And where this ancient sylvari named Laranthir can wander around with the new characters and say stuff like "Ugh! I'd forgotten what absolute TRASH the Commander's sense of Feng-Shui was!"

Edited by Palador.2170
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

We already have housing though, so aside from adding yet more ‘harvesting’ unlocks tied to end game item progression, how is this new? Will there be neighbours for example? Remember how that one WoW expansion with keeps basically destroyed the game? I’m skeptical tbqh.

Edited by nosleepdemon.1368
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, pallas.8150 said:

I really really hope you can customize the outside of your home. Otherwise this feels borderline pointless.

Your journeys will lead you to your own homestead, an account-wide personal instance with a structure and land for you to decorate and cultivate.

It seems like it. It would be really cool if we can collect things from the game world to put in our houses and land. I want to build a flower garden for my character so it would be really sweet if I can collect different types of vegetation skins from the world to put in there. Seems like we'll already be able to do some of that with nodes.

I don't have high expectations. I bet it's just one new home instance with options to add furniture, located in one of the new maps.

If Anet would ever provide proper player housing, it would require them to have these kind of home instances all around Tyria, available to be bought and styled according to the region they are in. I don't think it would even take that much resources. It'd basically be a few very small maps that represents the area inside the house, with the same decoration functionality as a guild hall and assigned to just one player instead of a guild.

That would finally allow us to have houses where we want to live, instead of the middle of nowhere in Janthir, with 1000 people outside the building because it's the only "player house" and it's all "their house".

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

This.
I even created my personal guild to use the guild hall as a "home instance"/decoration playground. The high costs for upgrading the guild hall and crafting decorations killed it for me eventually (some simple decorations are very expensive). Making a simple room with some chairs, a table, bookshelfs a carpet and some little things cost me like a hundred gold or more.

Another problem is that Guild Halls - aside from Lost Precipice - simply have no real rooms. And the ones in Lost Precipice are like ruins; not really suitable for a living room or a bed room.

I had a personal guild for extra bank space before guild halls existed, and I've never unlocked the hall for exactly this reason. Some people told me it's possible for one person to decorate a guild hall, many more people told me it's extremely expensive and time consuming and not worth the hassle, especially since it will never look like somewhere your characters could actually live. (One of my guilds did their best to make part of the guild hall look like it could be a home, but it's more like a very odd camp in a ruin.)

Personally I'm glad it looks like the housing will be instanced. One of the things which drove me to quit Ultima Online was all the 'wilderness' areas you were supposed to go out and explore getting cluttered with random, badly placed, houses (or very carefully placed to block off valuable spawns and nodes so only those people could farm them). The only other implementation I've seen is to have "neighbourhoods" which are huge flat, otherwise empty instances where you get your little square in amongst a clutter of other random people's houses, which is like the worst of both worlds.

I like the way Elder Scrolls Online does it where the houses do exist in the world and you can go up to the entrance and through the front door (or gate, or portal or whatever) but inside is a private instance. It looks like this will be similar, which is good.

I need to wait for more information before I know if I'm going to want to use it through (and before I know if I want to buy the expansion). Especially how the decorating works - in the trailer furnishings just fade in but I assume that's not how it'll actually work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pallas.8150 said:

I really really hope you can customize the outside of your home. Otherwise this feels borderline pointless.

Well, at least it looks like the whole thing is going to include a nice outside area: https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/0a6ebJWHomestead.jpg

Eventually, they will likely add additional locations.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Well, at least it looks like the whole thing is going to include a nice outside area: https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/0a6ebJWHomestead.jpg

Eventually, they will likely add additional locations.

Ah, thanks for the pic. I haven't been very interested in housing but that place does look cozy. Also, those plots in front look like home garden plots. And are those stables to the left of the house? If so, will we be able to put our mounts there? That would be fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, they will likely be placed there since all the Home Instance nodes will go into the Homestead.

Think about furniture rewards for old achievements, imagine statues commemorating difficult feats, like a giant statue for completing "Giant Slayer." This kind of update could spark a renewed interest in achievements. Players might revisit older challenges to claim these unique furniture pieces.
Is this type of info what we need to know too...

• Like 4