Favorite Guild Wars 2 Holiday/Event

Halloween

Wintersday

Really really really want festivals for the othe racial cities. Divinity Reach got 2, Rata Sum got 1 (kinda, even if I don't like it), Lions Arch got 1. I am actually going to be proper sad if Divinity Reach gets another one, instead of giving one to Black Citadel, Hoelbrak or the Grove. Preferably something for all 3.

Hi :)

Wintersday is my favorite one, cause it makes you feel the whole magic of christmas when you're in Divinity's Reach. It's even not (entierelly) thanks to the music, the snow or the presents : It's the magic you feel and that the game spreads in your mind <3

My favorite's definitely Wintersday! I love Tixx's theme and the bell choir.

@Zeefa.3915 said:

1. Halloween
  2. WintersdayReally really really want festivals for the othe racial cities. Divinity Reach got 2, Rata Sum got 1 (kinda, even if I don't like it), Lions Arch got 1. I am actually going to be proper sad if Divinity Reach gets another one, instead of giving one to Black Citadel, Hoelbrak or the Grove. Preferably something for all 3.

I'd love to have more festivals, especially in the other cities! I could see a summer solstice event in the Grove for the first half of June. I'm not sure what they could do for the Black Citadel or Hoelbrak, though... and it would raise the problem of not filling the calendar up too much with annual holidays......MEATOBERFEST!

It's a tough choice, thematically I like Wintersday the most, but Halloween is probably my favourite overall.

I really like the way they took a lot of the elements common to modern real-life Halloween celebrations (particularly in North America) but then built this extremely detailed lore and backstory around it. I've seen games create their own festivals from scratch, based on the game's lore and I've seen games import real-life festivals into a fantasy world and occasionally I've seen them add some lore to explain it, but I've never seen it done as well (IMO) or with as much depth as GW2's Halloween. I love how they manage to make even the silliest elements like the excess of candy corn which no one actually likes fit. (If you've never been in the USA for Halloween trust me - that stuff is everywhere even though no one actually likes eating it - there's even an urban legend that only 1 batch was ever made and every year it's fished out of rubbish bins, washed and repackaged for the next year.)

I also like it for the number and variety of things to do, especially now the Mad Memoires scavenger hunt and other year 1 activities are back (and I'm hoping the Bloody Prince story will become playable again at some point).

Only thing I don't like is the absurdly expensive mini pets which mean I spent most of each Halloween grinding gold/candy corn instead of enjoying all of the above. I know it's my choice to get them, but I don't understand how there's any benefit for Anet or players in making it so time consuming so to me it's just bad game design that I have to choose between missing out on part of my mini pet collection or ruining the festival grinding.

Anyway, second choice is probably Super Adventure Box, again because of the amount of stuff there is to do (the fact that World 1 was made by something like 6 people is amazing to me) and because of the originality of it.

Archived