Why do people take Guild reps so seriously

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:And I say those guilds who want to be repped should incentive their members to want to do so. Again, that falls on leadership. As far as joining? I can't answer for other people, but I can tell you I get random guild invites all the time. So, yes, it falls on the members to know what they're joining, but it still falls on leadership to know who they're asking to join.

The person in the guild can only be there because he wants to be. So the guild has already provided him with something he wants from them. If he is not willing to rep the guild in return for getting something he wants from the guild then he should leave. Abiding by the social norms of a community that you have decided to join and from which you (you in the general sense, not you personally) are receiving benefit is selfish. If you do not want to abide by a guild's rules it is very easy to leave, and easier still to not join.

Of course someone should want to follow the rules of a community they choose to join. By definition if the player wants to remain in the guild then he is getting something he wants from it. If the guild is giving him something then he has been provided incentive to rep. But some people are selfish, entitled, and antisocial. They want to take from a society but are not willing to give. No incentive will matter to them because they feel that everyone else, the world, owes them.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

So, base on your logic, if gw2 is so nice, people wouldn't cheat and not have to be warned or told they can't cheat....

Obviously you don't think the same can be apply to gw2 as a whole, that's quite a double standard thinking.

So not repping a guild is akin to malicious behavior like cheating? And players not repping a guild need to be reined in otherwise they are malicious? This makes no sense.

So you can see cheating as malicious, a behavior that cause harm to others. In that case, why isn't not repping a guild not considered as behavior that harm the guild?

Because not repping a guild isn't malicious and doesn't give you an unfair advantage, like cheating does.

Erm, so unless it give you a unfair advantage, it isn't consider malicious? So repping give you unfair advantage? O.O? Is that what you saying?Or are you claiming one is not malicious because of the typical "I say so"?

By not repping a guild, one is subconsciously recognizing the guild as not an organisation or even an existence. You need an organisation (regardless big or small, permanent or temporary, structured or unstructured) to organise event, build certain things, blah blah. That action alone is denying the existence of a guild, so is not harmful? What do you think would happen to such a "guild"?

Existence is very important, whole rep thing fundamentally come to this point, really. How important is a guild existence to you?

Bit of bad logic though. You need to acknowledge a guilds existence before you can "not-rep" it as it were. The players are already a step further by joining a guild they aren't going to rep, for whatever reason. Ofcourse, at a basis, someone needs to keep organizing things so that people keep coming back. It just means repping is not automatically necessary for a guild existence. There have been non-repping guilds purely for organisational purposes before. So what you're saying really doesn't hit all the bases.

There was a time I run with raid guilds to learn about raid. There were a few raid guild that ask their members to rep when raiding but when asked to rep, some of them said "why rep a raid guild? is just a raid guild", their leaderships sighed and let them not rep. They continue to raid regardless but after couple of months, their guild disappear the moment their original leaderships disappear, nobody replaces them.

Sure, there are non-rep guilds but is it sustainable? It certainly isn't. Their existence is just a tool to be used and then threw away, is that kind of existence you are looking for?

Also, I did say subconsciously. Consciously, human will claim this and that, in positive manners but in-depth, are they really viewing it that way? I wonder.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:And I say those guilds who want to be repped should incentive their members to want to do so. Again, that falls on leadership. As far as joining? I can't answer for other people, but I can tell you I get random guild invites all the time. So, yes, it falls on the members to know what they're joining, but it still falls on leadership to know who they're asking to join.

The person in the guild can only be there because he wants to be. So the guild has already provided him with something he wants from them. If he is not willing to rep the guild in return for getting something he wants from the guild then he should leave. Abiding by the social norms of a community that you have decided to join and from which you (you in the general sense, not you personally) are receiving benefit is selfish. If you do not want to abide by a guild's rules it is very easy to leave, and easier still to not join.

Of course someone should want to follow the rules of a community they choose to join. By definition if the player wants to remain in the guild then he is getting something he wants from it. If the guild is giving him something then he has been provided incentive to rep. But some people are selfish, entitled, and antisocial. They want to take from a society but are not willing to give. No incentive will matter to them because they feel that everyone else, the world, owes them.

Again, I cannot speak for anyone much less an entire society, yet I will say your post is flawed. Very much so. But this thread has already gone down a path not to my liking, so I'll leave it at that.

Again, best of luck finding the right guild for you, Iceman. ☺

@OriOri.8724 said:

@"Aeolus.3615" said:Cause other wise, guilds are just chat rooms in this game... wich is a wrong concept but it is with what Anet has tranformend guilds into.

Guild depth system, is a good emphasis to create content for pvp and pve.

Because repping a guild totally changes how you interact with the guild, and makes it not a chat room /s

Not really (at least i dont see it that way), Anet added a function to actually player see and talk with other non reping guildsBasicly you are on several chat rooms, but using the repping one "buffs" ,"status", nothing more.Just because u start grinding to the current chat room u selected to, does not mean u are interacting with the guild... at the complexity of what an Guild concept is.

I have played 1year guildless out of 6, and i didnt notice the diference.... Guilds how they exist in Gw2 areone of the most fake guild concept i hever seen in game industry..The ability to swap guild every time u want while being in all guilds alone, made a huge effect on making being part of something really useless and priceless.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@Aeolus.3615 said:Cause other wise, guilds are just chat rooms in this game... wich is a wrong concept but it is with what Anet has tranformend guilds into.

Guild depth system, is a good emphasis to create content for pvp and pve.

Because repping a guild totally changes how you interact with the guild, and makes it not a chat room /s

Not really (at least i dont see it that way), Anet added a function to actually player see and talk with other non reping guildsBasicly you are on several chat rooms, but using the repping one "buffs" ,"status", nothing more.Just because u start grinding to the current chat room u selected to, does not mean u are interacting with the guild... at the complexity of what an Guild concept is.

I have played 1year guildless out of 6, and i didnt notice the diference.... Guilds how they exist in Gw2 areone of the most fake guild concept i hever seen in game industry..The ability to swap guild every time u want while being in all guilds alone, made a huge effect on making being part of something really useless and priceless.

What special perks do the guilds offer

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

So, base on your logic, if gw2 is so nice, people wouldn't cheat and not have to be warned or told they can't cheat....

Obviously you don't think the same can be apply to gw2 as a whole, that's quite a double standard thinking.

So not repping a guild is akin to malicious behavior like cheating? And players not repping a guild need to be reined in otherwise they are malicious? This makes no sense.

So you can see cheating as malicious, a behavior that cause harm to others. In that case, why isn't not repping a guild not considered as behavior that harm the guild?

Because not repping a guild isn't malicious and doesn't give you an unfair advantage, like cheating does.

Erm, so unless it give you a unfair advantage, it isn't consider malicious? So repping give you unfair advantage? O.O? Is that what you saying?Or are you claiming one is not malicious because of the typical "I say so"?

By not repping a guild, one is subconsciously recognizing the guild as not an organisation or even an existence. You need an organisation (regardless big or small, permanent or temporary, structured or unstructured) to organise event, build certain things, blah blah. That action alone is denying the existence of a guild, so is not harmful? What do you think would happen to such a "guild"?

Existence is very important, whole rep thing fundamentally come to this point, really. How important is a guild existence to you?

Bit of bad logic though. You need to acknowledge a guilds existence before you can "not-rep" it as it were. The players are already a step further by joining a guild they aren't going to rep, for whatever reason. Ofcourse, at a basis, someone needs to keep organizing things so that people keep coming back. It just means repping is not automatically necessary for a guild existence. There have been non-repping guilds purely for organisational purposes before. So what you're saying really doesn't hit all the bases.

There was a time I run with raid guilds to learn about raid. There were a few raid guild that ask their members to rep when raiding but when asked to rep, some of them said "why rep a raid guild? is just a raid guild", their leaderships sighed and let them not rep. They continue to raid regardless but after couple of months, their guild disappear the moment their original leaderships disappear, nobody replaces them.

Sure, there are non-rep guilds but is it sustainable? It certainly isn't. Their existence is just a tool to be used and then threw away, is that kind of existence you are looking for?

Also, I did say subconsciously. Consciously, human will claim this and that, in positive manners but in-depth, are they really viewing it that way? I wonder.

What I get from your anecdote is that it is sustainable as long as effort is put in. If the leadership or will to lead disappears the guild will disappear. No matter if theres a reprule or not. This is only loosely tied to repping. Your portrayal of the situation when people are allowed to "not rep" is binary when the reality isnt.

I'm not saying that repping doesnt have its value or use. Nor that the situation doesnt arise where guilds disappear through being allowed to not rep. I'm merely saying that it is possible to have non repping guild or guild members who are equally involved in more than one guild. It just does takes more effort and energy to keep those who dont rep engaged.

It's an issue for some if you join a guild but have no real commitment to it. I've sometimes left guilds where I've felt like I've not been contributing enough or do not fit in with the group. I know it's just a formality but it's pretty minimal if you ask me.

My primary guild does not require rep at all but I usually do it.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

What I get from your anecdote is that it is sustainable as long as effort is put in. If the leadership or will to lead disappears the guild will disappear. No matter if theres a reprule or not. This is only loosely tied to repping. Your portrayal of the situation when people are allowed to "not rep" is binary when the reality isnt.

I'm not saying that repping doesnt have its value or use. Nor that the situation doesnt arise where guilds disappear through being allowed to not rep. I'm merely saying that it is possible to have non repping guild or guild members who are equally involved in more than one guild. It just does takes more effort and energy to keep those who dont rep engaged.

Of course is possible, even low percentage of success is still a equivalent to possibility but is it realistically possible?

• 4 months later...

I logged on and was met with a private tell thanking me for joining and remember to rep with them. I have no idea what that even means so I logged out as I am burnt out on this game after a couple of months and decided to take a break and just collect my daily login.

I had someone tell me a last week to remember to rep them for helping me with a daily and I had to reply to them that I do not even know what that is and they replied that is okay. /shrug

@Draknil.1860 said:I logged on and was met with a private tell thanking me for joining and remember to rep with them. I have no idea what that even means so I logged out as I am burnt out on this game after a couple of months and decided to take a break and just collect my daily login.

I had someone tell me a last week to remember to rep them for helping me with a daily and I had to reply to them that I do not even know what that is and they replied that is okay. /shrug

Did you also just log on to necro a 5 month old thread?

Repping a guild basically says you care about that guild. That's why I can see people still asking for rep. So when they do events or giveaways, they know who to consider. The person who repped you 80% of the time or the person who never did. Having someone rep the guild also instills a sense of contribution to the guild. Guild Halls are a prime example of this. It gives me a great idea of who should get a random gift every once in a while. I'd rather give the gift to someone who is showing my guild and helping me put work into the guild hall than the person who never repped and are just there.On the other side, as a guild member, I'm usually less inclined to ask someone for help when they are not repping. They may not be interested in doing anything that day, may be doing something with another guild, etc. I have left guilds over playing a week or two and not seeing anyone repping because it makes me feel like no one is invested in the growth of the guild or doing any guild activities.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I've only been playing for a month. I noticed people take rep's very seriously. One Guild mentioned how how'd he put people who had Guild Reps in highest priority when they needed help. I have five guilds. I'm supposed pick who to rep and like jealous girlfriends. I noticed some of them will become a little frustrated when I don't rep them. I am a very friendly person. I can only rep one at a time. I'm considering not repping anyone just to give the appearance that I'm neutral.

Sounds like you need five new guilds :)

No one ever gives anyone crap in the main guild I am in and they understand the nature of a multi guild system. When we do things in either of our guilds (yes we have two guilds for my main guild and two guild halls because well just for the because of it) we rep the guild that makes sense. If I do something with another I rep that and mingle until I am ready to rep another...

I prefer to remain in the main guild I am with 99% of the time because those are the people I chat with most and want to play the game with more. If people are uptight about it seriously FIVE new guilds :)

I sincerely hope my wvw guild does not move to requiring rep outside of wvw; if they do I will leave.

I do rep them when in wvw. I rep my friends and family guild when playing with them. I rep my raid guild when raiding. Doing story I tend to rep whichever one I last did something with. All of them have Discord and communicate. None currently require repping at all.

I have far too many interests to restrict myself to one guild. None of them do everything WELL. But nothing is forcing me to join a rep required guild either. Yay the system is working!

@"FrizzFreston.5290" said:Never really required guild rep in my guild. So its definitely not everyone taking it seriously. Other than that it does get annoying when people don't communicate at all. People who rep usually are more involved in the guild so they get more attention easier. So if you want help you just need to involve yourself in a guild, even when not repping. Otherwise, if you start asking for help out of the blue it comes across that you're just part of the guild for using it as an easy access to help. Basically taking advantage rather than taking part.

Look who's here, small world.

Topic Answer: Repping or not repping, it's basically ANET's fault for creating this system. Guilds in GW2 are glorified friend lists and not more than that, most of the people who join 5 guilds are guild "hoppers" who use the guilds for the benefits, wvw,spvp or other stuff, not real members. When you chose to represent a guide, it's a commitment choice, it's your choice to start caring for the guild, help it grow and become better. It's a commitment that a leader naturally does when creating the guild, that's taken for granted by the members. If you ask yourself why you should rep a guild then ask yourself why should you be of any importance for that guild.I've been a guild/clan leader for most of my gaming life and I have many great moments with the members only because of the commitment.

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:Sadly, some guilds do become a cliquish affair. I have my suspicions as to why, but voicing it would tailspin this thread. Regardless, yes, it may be best to remain neutral, but I promise you someone is going to take offense to it eventually. Honestly? It's part of the reason I remain guildless.

This reminds me The Witcher lol

• 6 months later...

I just never joined any guilds that require representing them. For that reason, I never ran into that problem...That is, until I invited a friend from another game to join GW2, and she joined a guild which she later found out required to rep, and because she preferred to rep my dead "for fun" guild (but she said she would always switch to rep them whenever I was offline), she was kicked from that other guild (who the day before, she was praising them as being very friendly to her and even asked if I wanted to join).It is sad, especially seeing new players fall victim to these kinds of guilds that basically are using new players as free advertisement banners for their guild, and trash those members if they don't rep them or don't even know how/why to rep them.

I don't really understand it either. It made sense in the past, when guild influence was a thing, and more importantly when you could only see guild chat from your active guild. But now that I can chat with all my guilds regardless of rep? Especially when most social guilds also have a discord channel an/or forums? I don't see the point of 100% rep... I make friends with the people in my guild regardless of a tag. Plus, we have 5 guild slots. We wouldn't have that many if we weren't encouraged to have multiple guilds.

I do try to rep when I'm doing activities with certain guilds at least. But just because I like the community in a guild doesn't mean they necessarily hit all my needs as a player. I might want another guild that focuses more on a different aspect of the game and I don't see an issue with that.

Some guilds like repping, while some don't care. My experience is that people tend to rep a guild they are invested in, and unrepped people tend to be the silent type.

If you're a guild leader trying to create a fun and active guild, of course you want active members who participate in your guild. Or maybe a guild leader thinks people will participate regardless, wants quantity over quality, or wants a lax guild where people feel safe enough around eachother to come home at the end of the day and bellyache about irl problems to familiar faces.

It all comes down to what the guild leader wants from the guild - which I think is fair. There is no one way to lead a guild, and guild leaders are human players too. Before complaining, remember that they are the ones investing time and effort trying to build a community.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Dont see why you would join 5 guilds when all you need is 1 for each of the 3 activitys mate.

Don't see why you wouldn't see that people join guilds for all sorts of reasons:
  • Guild with friends from GW1
  • Guild with friends from first days of GW2
  • WvW raiding guild
  • WvW roaming guild
  • Fractal static guild
  • Main guild
  • Raid training guild
  • Raid static guild
  • Power trading guild
  • Newbies welcome guild
  • Guild to receive account bound stuff they need for improving GH.
  • Storage guild(s) (admittedly, I don't think ANet needs to support this, as it was probably a never-intended-use)
  • Raid-selling guild
  • Dungeon clearing static
  • Fractal CM training
  • RP guild

(
added:
it occurs to me that some serious RPers might want different RP guilds for different characters, e.g. asura krewe, human militia, charr warband, and one for um... best not to mention it)

Obviously, most people aren't interested in more than 2-3 of the above and some only ever need one. But there are lots of people who would be very happy with an option to buy more guild slots.

add farming guilds, and world bosses guilds to the list.

Archived