My Night of *Mad* King Tower

Magolith.9412

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Jumping puzzles in GW2 are for masochists.THIS jumping puzzle is for masochists in search of a challenge =/

Actually, it is fairly straight forward and simple, once you've gotten the knack of it. 3-5 runs up the tower are possible per round, so no masochism involved. ;)

Edit: Yes, lag can be a killer in this (and plenty of other content). Just watched the video. However, two years ago, I was having the same issue, and it wasn't due to lag. So I can only assume it is a reoccuring bug.

Jump timing:

1) If everything comes out smoothly on the first jump, you're safe to jump into the top of the tower as soon as lightning smashes the window.2) If the pieces for the first jump suddenly appear with no animation, you have to jump before the clock tower window is in front of you, i.e. before lightning smashes the window. Jump on the side before the clock tower face and you should make it.3) If the pieces for the first jump come out, stall, then move into place, you have to jump after the clock tower window moves past you, i.e. after the lightning smashes the window.

I can run it and get 3 chests + final chest 90% of the time now. One thing to be aware of is that such a JP is much easier with a decent keyboard.

However, sometimes I find the instance I'm in is laggy - the dynamic elements pop in rather than smoothly move.

I find logging to character select and returning to get a new instance helps. Also helps to farm the JP.

Here I want to post my comment from a "pro" jumper, I done that JP since the beginning so in 2012, succeeded in each year. But I agree that you need a time for adaptation, failed 3 times the first year before finishing it. Failed him why? At the beginning, you only have to climb up follow gears, platforms and stairs until the time when you reach the long iron bars, during my first two tries, I haven't realized what to do while looking at the platform very far bellow me. Then I realized, okay let's jump then. I was right. The second part is just like the first one, climb up, jump on rocks, iron bars... and at the summit, wait for a lightning bolt to strike the tower. Where I want to complain Is about the reward, the first time you done it in the year, the rewards are fabulous, after just don't worth to redo it: Some candy bags.... Each 5 succeeded tries you should earn a great reward. Seriously, I don't think that the jump is hard. It's mostly the environment:
-Motion sickness or not? (Green fogs and rotating tower)-Lags or not? (Very deadly, continue to walk forward/dodge and then fall)-Speed? (No time for chests, just run to the summit! Jump rapidly down to access the platform before fog!)-Eventually the summit: (You have to jump SIMULTANEOUSLY as when the lightning strike, not the turn before, not the turn after)

I just started having this exact problem today. I already completed the jumping puzzle several times this year as it's pretty much muscle memory at this point, but today I started getting random ping spikes of 700+ while just playing the game in general and the clocktower is no longer possible for me to finish. Some floor pieces that I normally jump on are no longer registering and I just fall through, and at the top it's not possible to jump through the window anymore, you just hit the entrance and fall like the video the OP posted.

The only thing I could possibly add is that in the time since I encountered the potential bug this year and missed the last jump on all those consecutive attempts, I have not seen the issue reappear. So I'd guess if it is a bug it is not exceedingly common . . .

Personally, I find that with a constant 250+ ping by being in Australia and all, it is very difficult to complete this puzzle because the liquid tends to catch up on me too quickly. Like, I have completed it before but it takes more time than it is worth to try and do it because the liquid is just too quick and suddenly the grabby hands take you.Personally, I feel that the Wintersday puzzle is a little kinder when it comes to ping issues.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:Personally, I find that with a constant 250+ ping by being in Australia and all, it is very difficult to complete this puzzle because the liquid tends to catch up on me too quickly. Like, I have completed it before but it takes more time than it is worth to try and do it because the liquid is just too quick and suddenly the grabby hands take you.Personally, I feel that the Wintersday puzzle is a little kinder when it comes to ping issues.

^ Same here. Then again, the biggest pita with this jp is the waiting and waiting to play. It's the epitomy of non-active gameplay.If it weren't for the waiting, we could at least throw ourselves repeatedly at the tower and maybe with persistance eek out enough of a lead to overcome the ping.

Jump straight, the trigger area to teleport you into the tower does not move with the outer wall, it's active for a second or two more or less straight ahead of the platform you stand on. Check some videos of people doing it successfully to get an idea of the direction. This happened to me 5 times in a row last year before I realised what was happening :(

@Zoltar MacRoth.7146 said:

@"hellsqueen.3045" said:Personally, I find that with a constant 250+ ping by being in Australia and all, it is very difficult to complete this puzzle because the liquid tends to catch up on me too quickly. Like, I have completed it before but it takes more time than it is worth to try and do it because the liquid is just too quick and suddenly the grabby hands take you.Personally, I feel that the Wintersday puzzle is a little kinder when it comes to ping issues.

^ Same here. Then again, the biggest pita with this jp is the waiting and waiting to play. It's the epitomy of non-active gameplay.If it weren't for the waiting, we could at least throw ourselves repeatedly at the tower and maybe with persistance eek out enough of a lead to overcome the ping.

The catch to being able to allow the puzzle to do that would be removing the liquid and opening the gates and just saying "go ham". And like I would love that but those who love the challenge may feel a little ripped off. Maybe there could be an easier version that still counts for dailies and achievements? That way it has an easier option like the Wintersday puzzle and that would make a lot of people happy.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

@hellsqueen.3045 said:Personally, I find that with a constant 250+ ping by being in Australia and all, it is very difficult to complete this puzzle because the liquid tends to catch up on me too quickly. Like, I have completed it before but it takes more time than it is worth to try and do it because the liquid is just too quick and suddenly the grabby hands take you.Personally, I feel that the Wintersday puzzle is a little kinder when it comes to ping issues.

The catch to being able to allow the puzzle to do that would be removing the liquid and opening the gates and just saying "go ham". And like I would love that but those who love the challenge may feel a little ripped off. Maybe there could be an easier version that still counts for dailies and achievements? That way it has an easier option like the Wintersday puzzle and that would make a lot of people happy.

It should count for its own daily and achievements, with a diminished reward equal to the significantly smaller amount of effort and skill required to complete it. Like, say, half a fragment of candy corn. Also players unable to complete the entire puzzle as originally designed must sit at the back of the bus.

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

It should count for its own daily and achievements, with a diminished reward equal to the significantly smaller amount of effort and skill required to complete it. Like, say, half a fragment of candy corn. Also players unable to complete the entire puzzle as originally designed must sit at the back of the bus.

I'd be happy with a "training" version where there's no slime and the gates are permenantly open so you can practice the route before tackling the real thing. There would be no cheevo or reward for finishing it, since it's just training. That would suit me.

I'd be happy with a "training" version where there's no slime and the gates are permenantly open so you can practice the route before tackling the real thing. There would be no cheevo or reward for finishing it, since it's just training. That would suit me.

I'd love to see this if only to watch so many players discover how easily something 'impossible' is made possible . . .

This would be fine as long as the training version had subtley different jumps which, upon execution in the real puzzle, would get you killed most of the time. This is Mad King Thorn we are talking about afterall.

Thi si just a bad designed JP and so every little technical problem arise then this activity become just a source of rage and frustration because you know it's simply not your fault, like some other JP in the game, I suggest for the future to create more engaging activities mainly based on a well designed (and coded) idea, there is no gain on something that become ignored by most of the gamers just because it is stupid, bugged or simply a question of steps learning repetition, ah another thing, since personal history or LS are the first thing a new player try, please fix the enormous quantity of bugs there, this is your first presentation of the game, if someone understand since the beginning that content is bugged or not maintained he will probably quit the game, is not a good decision not to care of old content or the old maps from a ROI point of view, just my 2 cents

@Gop.8713 said:

I'd love to see this if only to watch so many players discover how easily something 'impossible' is made possible . . .

With lag, the liquid really does feel insanely impossible to deal with. The platforms come up slower for you then others and therefore the liquid catches up faster.It's the reason I love the overhaul they did for the Wintersday that gives you 3 different difficulties and rewards you differently per difficulty, except when it comes to achievements, where they let people still get them because imagine never being able to do the hardest version of the puzzle possible because of limitations, etc and not being able to get achievements for any form of completion.

I wonder how much it would mess things up if the liquid starting rising up 1 second later than it does now. You would still have to make all the jumps successfully and can't go to slow (and I suppose this would give more time to grab the extra chests). But the hardest part is at the start of the puzzle (which is good I suppose, as it makes it the easiest to practice). Once you get to the point where you fall down to the chest, if you are not caught by the goo at that point, time isn't really much an issue - you are well above the goo.

@Solvar.7953 said:I wonder how much it would mess things up if the liquid starting rising up 1 second later than it does now. You would still have to make all the jumps successfully and can't go to slow (and I suppose this would give more time to grab the extra chests). But the hardest part is at the start of the puzzle (which is good I suppose, as it makes it the easiest to practice). Once you get to the point where you fall down to the chest, if you are not caught by the goo at that point, time isn't really much an issue - you are well above the goo.

Honestly, if the liquid could be slightly more forgiving because of ping, etc. it wouldn't be so bad.Like, it could let people pace themselves a little bit better and it would result in a few less mess ups from trying to hurry.

Archived