Guild Wars 2 should have harder content.

@"belst.6815" said:It seems that most of you are arguing about open world or raids.

Sure, they bring a new map every episode but they also bring new instanced story missions every episode. why not make THEM harder.

Last episode for example, I could pretty much facetank every single mechanic in the story with my full zerker thief. And even if I die, nothing happens. NOTHING. You can just continue.Imo this is extremly boring. You don't even NEED to try to get at least mediocre at the game when you can just complete the whole story with pressing 1.

Just make the mechanics more punishing if you fail them and add some sort of punishment for dying. People will try to get better then. hopefully.

Maybe after dying 5 times you have to recover and can't try the story again for 2 hours? Or even longer?

I wouldn't pursue a career in game design if I were you, just saying. You do realize you can't force players to "git gud" right? If a game has a radical shift in direction, especially regarding difficulty, players can just go and play something else, it's not like anyone forces you to keep playing and adapt.

That's why games with higher baseline difficulty, like FromSoft ones, are marketed as such and make it clear from the start that's their direction. Alienating your playerbase 7 years after launch is a good recipe for a dead game.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"belst.6815" said:It seems that most of you are arguing about open world or raids.

Sure, they bring a new map every episode but they also bring new instanced story missions every episode. why not make THEM harder.

Last episode for example, I could pretty much facetank every single mechanic in the story with my full zerker thief. And even if I die, nothing happens. NOTHING. You can just continue.Imo this is extremly boring. You don't even NEED to try to get at least mediocre at the game when you can just complete the whole story with pressing 1.

Just make the mechanics more punishing if you fail them and add some sort of punishment for dying. People will try to get better then. hopefully.

Maybe after dying 5 times you have to recover and can't try the story again for 2 hours? Or even longer?

Please never start a career as game developer just because you are "gud enuf" to beat video game content easier than others. If you want to include more punishing difficulty, implement - as was said numerous times over the course of similar discussions - selectable difficulty settings. Or, and I'm aware that people hate "create-your-own-challenge" ideas, delete your character when you die. It'd be akin to Diablo's Hardcore ode, and people loved it.tThe idea of playing games for the challenge and self-improvement is, like it or not, not everyone's main motivation. Call me what you want, but if I had to wait a couple of hours for retrying the story because I died x times, I'd sooner or later end up dropping the game. That's because I play for the story. I'm more than fine with ignoring raids, competitive modes and the "rewards" the modes offer (nice to have? indeed, but not worth the trouble for me personally).

Look at past MMO's. More difficult early MMO's like EQ did OK, but WoW enjoyed phenomenal success by comparison with the formula: put the more difficult content in instanced settings, make the open world easier. Most MMO's since have done just about the same thing.

ANet has made open world harder over time. LS2 maps offer more effective mobs than core maps. HoT has more effective mobs than LS2.

The general feeling is that PoF is easier than HoT. However, I find I am no more likely to have a problem in Heart of Maguuma than I do in Elona. To me, Elona seems to have a bit more condition pressure, whereas HoM has a bit more burst. Mobs swarm more in Elona. The jump from core to HoM is quite jarring, where the jump from HoM to Elona is not. Learning curve is a thing in games. If Hot taught players to play better, then they took those skills to Elona. For Elona to be seen as equally difficult to HoM, ANet would have had to make it harder to emulate the initial challenge experience that HoT offered.

That said, the fact that Elona is not harder than HoM suggests that ANet thinks the open world is about as hard as open world is going to get. Alienate enough players and revenue goes down. That brings it back to instances as the possible venue for greater PvE challenge.

Even instanced content has to appeal to a broad spectrum. That leaves difficulty settings as an option. Dungeons are dead to ANet. I don't see that changing. Fractals already has a sort of difficulty setting. Could the top end get harder? Maybe, I don't really know. Raids offer bosses with variable difficulty. I don't know the use metrics for raids, but ANet does. Raid offerings seem to be contracting rather than expanding, which suggests either that raid content may not be bringing in enough numbers to warrant more resources, or that the diversion of resources to "other projects" impacted raids as much or more than everything else, and we've yet to see the release pattern for the trimmed ANet.

Finally, a difficulty setting for story instances would not have been a bad thing. I doubt we'll see it -- at least retroactively -- at this late date, though I suppose ANet could experiment with coming offerings. That could depend on whether doing so would be too resource intensive, and create even more delays.

@Menadena.7482 said:??? There is hardcore content in GW2 and in other games. GW2 was originally designed for casuals and we let hardcores have raids and such. Why should we give up the rest of the game?

You let them have raids, have you read this forum, multiple threads some going back months asking for raids to be made easier, or get easier mode and were the resources will be taken from is never taken into account.

From the start dungeons was suposed to be the hardcore content,it dident live up to what some wanted and with the power creep they arent that hard anymore.

@belst.6815 said:It seems that most of you are arguing about open world or raids.

Not necessarily commenting on your suggestions, but the sentiment regarding consequences for failure seems on point to me.

If I make a mistake leading to a setback or failure I like to think of it as an opportunity to figure out what ai did wrong, or could have done better, and work to overcome the shortcoming and to become a better player in the process. That seems lacking in existing story content.

@"IndigoSundown.5419" said:Look at past MMO's. More difficult early MMO's like EQ did OK, but WoW enjoyed phenomenal success by comparison with the formula: put the more difficult content in instanced settings, make the open world easier. Most MMO's since have done just about the same thing.

ANet has made open world harder over time. LS2 maps offer more effective mobs than core maps. HoT has more effective mobs than LS2.

The general feeling is that PoF is easier than HoT. However, I find I am no more likely to have a problem in Heart of Maguuma than I do in Elona. To me, Elona seems to have a bit more condition pressure, whereas HoM has a bit more burst. Mobs swarm more in Elona. The jump from core to HoM is quite jarring, where the jump from HoM to Elona is not. Learning curve is a thing in games. If Hot taught players to play better, then they took those skills to Elona. For Elona to be seen as equally difficult to HoM, ANet would have had to make it harder to emulate the initial challenge experience that HoT offered.

That said, the fact that Elona is not harder than HoM suggests that ANet thinks the open world is about as hard as open world is going to get. Alienate enough players and revenue goes down. That brings it back to instances as the possible venue for greater PvE challenge.

Even instanced content has to appeal to a broad spectrum. That leaves difficulty settings as an option. Dungeons are dead to ANet. I don't see that changing. Fractals already has a sort of difficulty setting. Could the top end get harder? Maybe, I don't really know. Raids offer bosses with variable difficulty. I don't know the use metrics for raids, but ANet does. Raid offerings seem to be contracting rather than expanding, which suggests either that raid content may not be bringing in enough numbers to warrant more resources, or that the diversion of resources to "other projects" impacted raids as much or more than everything else, and we've yet to see the release pattern for the trimmed ANet.

Finally, a difficulty setting for story instances would not have been a bad thing. I doubt we'll see it -- at least retroactively -- at this late date, though I suppose ANet could experiment with coming offerings. That could depend on whether doing so would be too resource intensive, and create even more delays.

Wow saw massive success during the period where ow was "hard" it wasnt all instanced.

@belst.6815 said:It seems that most of you are arguing about open world or raids.

And yet I enjoyed the most recent instance more than any of them. and plan on replaying it soon.

I hate the bosses where you die and you have to repeat the fight. In some cases it can take many failures to get past (at which point my armor is broken and I'm miserable. Its one of the reasons I've avoided most LS episodes) or I outright gave up. (HandM, was one I didn't complete for a year and couldn't do it solo).but its often hard to find a party to do LS content with... so no, I much prefer fights that don't restart and aren't too punishing of failure.

Why cant you act tbis punishment out on yourself? why do you want to inflict it on everyone?

@zealex.9410 said:

@"IndigoSundown.5419" said:Look at past MMO's. More difficult early MMO's like EQ did OK, but WoW enjoyed phenomenal success by comparison with the formula: put the more difficult content in instanced settings, make the open world easier. Most MMO's since have done just about the same thing.

ANet
has
made open world harder over time. LS2 maps offer more effective mobs than core maps. HoT has more effective mobs than LS2.

That said, the fact that Elona is
not
harder than HoM suggests that ANet thinks the open world is about as hard as open world is going to get. Alienate enough players and revenue goes down. That brings it back to instances as the possible venue for greater PvE challenge.

Wow saw massive success during the period where ow was "hard" it wasnt all instanced.

Then why didn't Blizzard keep it as it was, instead of, slowly but steadily, making it more casual over the years? Game design is a work in progress and constantly changing, often trying to appeal to the widest possible audience. What was the norm 15 years ago might not work at all for today's gamers.

WoW is interesting, since now we kinda have a way to compare the two approaches. If Classic becomes more popular than "nu-WoW" in the long term, then there are merits in this discussion about a supposed huge pool of hardcore gamers deserving more. Until then, the way gaming has changed over the years is a good indication that studios are mainly after casual money.

@"kharmin.7683" said:Not sure that you are part of the target audience?

Everyone is target audience of MMORPGs. Literally, everyone thats somewhat remotely interested in playing multiplayer games, is target audience of MMORPGs. You are doomed as a developement studio if you dont include EVERYONE in your target audience with how much more expensive it is to develope and maintain an MMORPG. And everyone means everyone. Thats the ultra casual "Im just logging in to play story" player just as much as the "I want to play mythic raids for 10 hourse each day".As an MMORPG developer you want them all, they all buy your game, they all buy your gems - or pay the subfee. The more active players you have, the better, because the more active your servers look like, the more new players you sell the game to. And so on.

Does GW2 need harder content? Eh, difficult to say. Id probably say: no, theres other problems.

Is GW2 a purely casual game? Yes, ever since LS3, its a purely casual game. And you know what? Its hurting the game A LOT. Ive seen several big community guilds crumble and disappear over the last 2 years. Reason? The content we get is played through in 2 weeks tops and not in the least engaging for a typical MMORPG player. Less players, less gem sales.

GW2 is particularly bad at keeping veterans interested in the game, there is a "played through" moment, that other MMORPGs dont have. And more and more players are reaching that moment. Anets fixation on non-replayable content aka living story doesnt help in the least with that. Living story is only interesting for newer players, or very VERY casual players, because that moment of "Im done" is put a bit further back. For players that are at that point, its simply put: not enough content to keep logging in.

Now, if you look at several statistics, its not that bad for anet. They still have quite okay'ish numbers for gamesales. So bleeding veterans doesnt hurt them quite as much, as they make up for missing gem sales with game sales.With at least 3 promising MMORPGs on the horizon though, and anet loosing both new projects due to layoffs - leaving them with currently only guildwars1+2 - that could spell disaster. We will see how numbers are end of 2019, with WoW classic out a few months and New World, AoC and several other MMORPGs in late alpha or beta phases. If only one of those MMORPGs offers stable playing and a somewhat fair business model, then guildwars 2 sales will drop off significantly, which in turn will hurt anet more than other MMORPG developement studios, because of their business model.

But back on topic: No, GW2 doesnt need harder content. GW2 needs:

1. More replayable content
  2. Smaller timegated bonus rewards and increased base rewards
  3. Event contribution has to be a lot tougher to promote active play and character developement - no more "Im here, I get full rewards, no matter I was afk for 99% of the time and only autoattacking for the rest"

Put simply: GW2 needs less lazy handouts and more work-for-it rewards. Will we get that? Nope. A very vocal minority on forums and reddit made sure of that.

@zealex.9410 said:

ANet
has
made open world harder over time. LS2 maps offer more effective mobs than core maps. HoT has more effective mobs than LS2.

not
harder than HoM suggests that ANet thinks the open world is about as hard as open world is going to get. Alienate enough players and revenue goes down. That brings it back to instances as the possible venue for greater PvE challenge.

How many WoW players who participated in dungeons or raids thought its OW was hard? I didn't think so.

Early WoW had end game areas in the open world that were a step up; many of us enjoyed that approach. The old content nerfing as expansions came out was disappointing, though I guess that supports the idea that easier content is needed to keep the franchise moving along.

Note that Anet took a rather clever approach to this with PoF, where the mounts reduced HoT difficulty without trivializing it.

Speaking as someone who mostly PvPs because of the lack of challenge in PvE, a big problem is in how extremely easy solo-content is. You can do T4 fractals and some raids and there is a moderate level of difficulty in them, or at least if you screw up in them you can wipe. But solo content such as story and LW is often so boringly easy that it feels like a chore and I end up not doing it. It's like there is this gap between group content and solo-able content in difficulty where the former is an 5~9/10 difficulty and the latter is a 0~1/10 with no in between. The closest thing I have found is to try and solo some of the content designed for small groups, such as doing the dungeons as solo-farm.

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:Speaking as someone who mostly PvPs because of the lack of challenge in PvE, a big problem is in how extremely easy solo-content is. You can do T4 fractals and some raids and there is a moderate level of difficulty in them, or at least if you screw up in them you can wipe. But solo content such as story and LW is often so boringly easy that it feels like a chore and I end up not doing it. It's like there is this gap between group content and solo-able content in difficulty where the former is an 5~9/10 difficulty and the latter is a 0~1/10 with no in between.

Imagine if there was a hard mode where you actually needed to care about build and gear and getting every advantage you could. Where there might be a mission where mobs do tons of condition damage to the point where you need to pack cleanses and maybe even Hoelbrak or Sunless runes.

Or mobs that stun enough to make you want more stunbreaks.

Or mobs that boon themselves enough to make you want lots of corruptions and stealing.

Or mobs that heal enough to make you consider adding more poison in your build.

Content that puts more rpg build craft into this action rpg.

Living world should have a hard mode where bosses are Liadri and Turrai Ossa tier in difficult y.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:Look at past MMO's. More difficult early MMO's like EQ did OK, but WoW enjoyed phenomenal success by comparison with the formula: put the more difficult content in instanced settings, make the open world easier. Most MMO's since have done just about the same thing.

ANet
has

not

How many WoW players who participated in dungeons or raids thought its OW was hard? I didn't think so.

Vanilla WoW leveling wasn't bloodborne or dark souls but it was consistently threatening and just getting 1 or 2 adds in a fight could mean death.

While I agree with the OP ...problem is ... when they add anything that requires more than 2 brain cells, people go crazy and want it nerfed

For example that cooks mastery in Crystal Desert ... it was a bit harder, you had to remember where everything is so you can immediately run over. I have done it on my 3rd try, meanwhile people went crazy here about how hard it is. Ofc, Anet nerfed it...Second example that comes to mind is that big boss guy in Domain of the Lost, people complained and Anet nerfed.

Not to be rude, but the devs themselves have to be capable of doing their own content but from what I've seen when they play live .... they barely do GW.So I doubt anything harder than this can happen.

As for raids, raids are not hard, you just gotta know the pattern and your rotation and it's basically a breeze.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:While I agree with the OP ...problem is ... when they add anything that requires more than 2 brain cells, people go crazy and want it nerfed

For example that cooks mastery in Crystal Desert ... it was a bit harder, you had to remember where everything is so you can immediately run over. I have done it on my 3rd try, meanwhile people went crazy here about how hard it is. Ofc, Anet nerfed it...Second example that comes to mind is that big boss guy in Domain of the Lost, people complained and Anet nerfed.

Not to be rude, but the devs themselves have to be capable of doing their own content but from what I've seen when they play live .... they barely do GW.So I doubt anything harder than this can happen.

As for raids, raids are not hard, you just gotta know the pattern and your rotation and it's basically a breeze.

they barely do GWWhat is GW?

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:Speaking as someone who mostly PvPs because of the lack of challenge in PvE, a big problem is in how extremely easy solo-content is. You can do T4 fractals and some raids and there is a moderate level of difficulty in them, or at least if you screw up in them you can wipe. But solo content such as story and LW is often so boringly easy that it feels like a chore and I end up not doing it. It's like there is this gap between group content and solo-able content in difficulty where the former is an 5~9/10 difficulty and the latter is a 0~1/10 with no in between. The closest thing I have found is to try and solo some of the content designed for small groups, such as doing the dungeons as solo-farm.

Around 60% of MMO players play pve mainly solo. So let's say basic stuff in GW2 like story and LW suddenly required a group to complete. Do you think that all these players would be like "ok, I need a group just to finish my story now, lemme go find one". Or just go and play something else that they find fun?

There is this weird perception from players who enjoy more challenging content. They think that the majority of players are playing video games for the accomplishment of overcoming difficult challenges. Which couldn't be furthest from the truth. SP games often have at least 3 difficulty modes, easy, normal (default) and hard. Now guess which mode is the least popular.

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:

ANet
has

not

Then why didn't Blizzard keep it as it was, instead of, slowly but steadily, making it more casual over the years?

Idk man blizzard has made alot of stupid fucking mistakes in their time. The curremt expac is one of them.

Having said that, im interested in how the release of classic will infuence wow or other mmos going forward.

@Linken.6345 said:

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:While I agree with the OP ...problem is ... when they add anything that requires more than 2 brain cells, people go crazy and want it nerfed

they barely do GWWhat is GW?

Based on the context, I would assume GW is Guild Wars. So either the devs barely play their own game, or they were/are barely able to (sucessfully) play GW1 (or 2), thus "So I doubt anything harder than this can happen."

@ChronosCosmos.9450 said:

@ChronosCosmos.9450 said:Look at all of these people supporting the leechers and afkers lol. Maybe we should all just afk in GW2. Why play the game when you can just afk for rewards while others work for you? That is the mentality of these people. The problem with the GW2 community is that they want rewards but they are not willing to put forward the effort required to get them. They would rather let other people do the work for them. They have time to complain but no time to put in effort.

Raids and fractals are the hard content. So if you are asking for harder raids/fractals, then sure, by all means.But open world is supposed to be casual / solo / i'm just randomly running almost naked and wanna hit things friendly.

P.S.: Let's not forget that the game was (maybe even is) marketed as casual friendly.

Yeah and that's great. There is nothing wrong about the game being casual. The problem is that it's far too easy so people just leech metas and afk for rewards while others do the darn work. The game encourages people to leech off of others.

Except that if we accept your view that's everything's too easy then the 'work' being done by those the leechers are leeching off (in your words) is pretty minimal so .. the problem is ... ?

To get a bit of context, the OP (before they were banned) made this thread: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/78105/why-should-we-do-events-when-players-just-afk-leech-off-of-us/p1

I don't think difficulty plays any role in content that can be leeched. Even the hardest content in the game can be done with a few players leeching, including CM Raids. There is no way to actively design content that can never be leeched. Given sufficient skill of the rest of the players (and numbers in the Open World) everything can be done with a few players not participating in the content for the entire duration. Nothing can be done about that though, can't really expect all types of content (including Open World) to fail if a single player fails a mechanic. Imagine if a single death/mistake out of 100 players would cause total wipes and loss of the event, that's lunacy.

I also think the difficulty of the game is in a right position, with both challenging and easy encounters/zones, my issue would be the inconsistency of the difficulty across living world episodes (some have hard/punishing fights, others are laughably easy) but that's a different topic.