3/17/2020 Patch changes

Casual Dad.2358

@Virdo.1540 said:

@Vendetta.1958 said:I didn't even notice Rugged Growth was bugged.. Anyone know how much it healed for prepatch?

as far as ive heard: rugged growth should have been decreased from 259 to 155, but it got turned up to over 500/sec

I was healing for 608 per second with it. Good times, good times.

But I also believe this trait should double the healing to the ranger when merged in beastmode, as well as anything effecting the pet should be applied to the ranger when merged, but only certain things are.

And the sad part about all this is that I couldn’t beat some Condi berserker when dueling in wvw using my Condi soulbeast, they have way too much healing and cleanse compared to rangers even with bugged rugged growth... but that’s balance for you...

@Krispera.5087 said:

@"Sandzibar.5134" said:Dont worry. This is just the first iteration of the Ranger nerfs. Cal Cohan in this thread
states he feels this series of nerfs still isnt enough.

They also want to nerf pet damage. Seen on discord : ''[1:18 PM] ANet_cmc: we're looking into some pet adjustments but nothing was ready for today's update''.

I don't get it, other classes are way more cancer than Ranger.

If they nerf pet damage in another horse shit update that leaves objectively better, and more commonly used classes alone I'm just gonna call it quits for good

Like, fucking put out a mission statement of what you want this class to be if you don't want us to be a bunker, supporter, or damage because I have no idea what the 4th role is other than "be the guy that absorbs all the damage with your face as the enemy focuses you for an easy kill"

@Abyssisis.3971 said:And the sad part about all this is that I couldn’t beat some Condi berserker when dueling in wvw using my Condi soulbeast, they have way too much healing and cleanse compared to rangers even with bugged rugged growth... but that’s balance for you...

It's not their clearing but the Ranger's ability to actually stack conditions on a target

Our damage in pve comes from bonfire and splitblade

Players aren't going to stand in bonfire and moving around means you wont always hit with all 5 splitblades

Keep in mind that condi ranger didn't get any buffs. It was meh in pvp before this and isn't any better just because anet wants to delete ranger power damage

@"Substance E.4852" said:If they nerf pet damage in another horse kitten update that leaves objectively better, and more commonly used classes alone I'm just gonna call it quits for good

Like, kitten put out a mission statement of what you want this class to be if you don't want us to be a bunker, supporter, or damage because I have no idea what the 4th role is other than "be the guy that absorbs all the damage with your face as the enemy focuses you for an easy kill"

@Fluffball.8307 said:I take a two year break, come back and first patch notes are bug fixes to every other profession and a list of nerfs to ranger. I see nothing has changed.

Same thing that was happening 8 years ago.

• Confused 1

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@"Substance E.4852" said:If they nerf pet damage in another horse kitten update that leaves objectively better, and more commonly used classes alone I'm just gonna call it quits for good

Like, kitten put out a mission statement of what you want this class to be if you don't want us to be a bunker, supporter, or damage because I have no idea what the 4th role is other than "be the guy that absorbs all the damage with your face as the enemy focuses you for an easy kill"

@Fluffball.8307 said:I take a two year break, come back and first patch notes are bug fixes to every other profession and a list of nerfs to ranger. I see nothing has changed.

I have basically 0 excitement for the 3rd elite spec now

We won't get any good mold breaking support, it will just be another selfish dueling class

It'll be insanely good on release, get nerfed to decent status, and then finally get removed from serious pvp play

So give us a bunny thumper with a hammer, who cares, it'll just end up as underwhelming as Warrior hammer is now and do about as much damage

Ranger post-patch ? One word ?Ruined

It has been a few years since i've posted around here I used to be a mad forumer back in the vanilla days but this disgusting patch made me very mad. SB LB was the most fun roaming build and 1vX in the game and they had to destroy it somehow. What killed it was the no more pet swaps tbh and increasing the CD on the mobility side of swoop and etc.

Playing on Gankdara in this rotation against DESOLATION ( which are the biggest scrubs/exploiters on this side of the free world ) they stack up s/d thieves and warriors it's just impossible to survive anymore , even the regular 1v1's are too hard to manage with the insane mobility nerf we received , we we're always supposed to kite and kite until the target was dead or we got out to safety, well all of that is ancient history now.

I don't see anymore holo's , it's just warriors , necros and an insane ammount of lame thieves and the ocasional mesmer who is just as weaksauce as a ranger nowdays. Can't wait for this new expansion maybe it'll bring some diversity to an already dying WvW game-mode.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:I feel these were well done as a soulbeast player. First time in a while a nerfing felt like it was done in a justifiable manner. My slb will still be in a great spot thankfully.

Yeah , now they should lower the burst of Thief too :)Or force them too , to waste 2 offensive utilities to do damage like Rangers

(btw can be make Enginners Rifle ...like a real Blunderbush ?Auto attacks have 2 sec cd ..deal more damage.. and offer backwards mobility ?)

@Substance E.4852 said:

@Substance E.4852 said:If they nerf pet damage in another horse kitten update that leaves objectively better, and more commonly used classes alone I'm just gonna call it quits for good

I have basically 0 excitement for the 3rd elite spec now

We won't get any good mold breaking support, it will just be another selfish dueling class

It'll be insanely good on release, get nerfed to decent status, and then finally get removed from serious pvp play

So give us a bunny thumper with a hammer, who cares, it'll just end up as underwhelming as Warrior hammer is now and do about as much damage

3rd elite spec for rangers will have a lot of skills and traits what wasn’t good enough to give to warriors... just like what happened with soulbeast...

It won't stop here guys, people are calling for more nerfs specifically to our outdated pets. Birds, anything that has a CC on it, and any sort of useable utility they want destroyed. Basically the aim seems to be to have Rangers pet act like a mini pet with a very tiny bit of damage.

I honestly feel that the vocal minority on the forums are controlling balance. I remember a quote from Denzel Washington's character in the movie "American Gangster", when he said "The loudest person in the room is the weakest person in the room."

You look at some of the complaints like getting hit by every. single. strike. from outdated pets or full strings of attacks from the most impossible slew of consecutive combo's against a non-cc'd person - then watch these whiny, entitled, kittens come on the forums to nerf "X" cause obviously they should never lose or be outplayed and that all their opponents are overpowered. Apply and look at that quote when you read all these cries for continuous unwarranted nerfs against any class, not just our own, and it seems to hold true.

Some people in their mind they have that ranger players are noobs by default just for playing ranger so when they get rekt by a good ranger they assume that the class is OP rather than its being played by good player.

I have been playing customized bunker version of condi/trapper ranger in PvP and I can solo almost everyone and have around 60% winrate, opponents mostly pm me with condi shit or condi noob rather than pointing out that I'm playing this build great.

Yeh the issue with me is i don't like this balance approach, from my point of view they failed completely.We (the all community in mass ) told them already the condi not being nerfed was a very bad idea and condi builds would destroy the gamemode. They blatantly ignore it because they know better. Some of us told them already about the potential sutpid damage from thieves still they ignore it.

Now i would tell them or whoever is in charge this nerfs will solve nothing because baddies (or not so baddies) don't understand how to handle the pet and the ranger in general. They will feel nerfs will not be enough and they will keep nerfing the class because the people at anet don't play ranger in PvP or WvW , they only use it for relaxing pve mats collecting.

I played just for a couple of days after the balance patch and after i saw what shitshow was the competitive modes i decided to shelve the game. Fortunately New World is coming soon enough so at least i'll have a new thing to play with.

Not looking forward for the expansion either. I will not play with any of the other chars i have, simply because it is a waste of time from my opinion.

@Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:I feel these were well done as a soulbeast player. First time in a while a nerfing felt like it was done in a justifiable manner. My slb will still be in a great spot thankfully.

Yeah , now they should lower the burst of Thief too :)Or force them too , to waste 2 offensive utilities to do damage like Rangers

(btw can be make Enginners Rifle ...like a real Blunderbush ?Auto attacks have 2 sec cd ..deal more damage.. and offer backwards mobility ?)

Do er up nerf thief to the ground Haha I haven't touched that garbage boring 2 button max spam class in a long while. It was ruined for me long ago.

Nnneeeerrrrffffff itt hhhaarddddeerrr lol

Honestly regardless of the class u enjoy to play just play it until u don't enjoy it anymore then drop gw2 and move on, look back see if any changes that help ur class came around and if not don't return. The new team tried to make some big changes with the big patch and should be commended for that as the game did need a massive tone down. With that said if they continue to let the community steer their balance decisions as heavily as they have been then unfortunately their just sealing the games own fate and not really worth investing further in.Like I said play ur class till u dont feel like its worth it and move on, unless ur a fb as the team seems to have a love affair with that class.

I'm just annoyed because with some classes it seems clear what they envision their roles to be as far as wvw is concerned whether implicit by the available builds or explicitly in statements from the devs. This has not been the case for rangers at all. Why give soulbeast stance sharing if it isn't meant to be part of a squad? Why handicap the build if we aren't meant to roam? Why make the healing useless if it isn't effective for the zerg? Changes in and of themselves aren't necessarily bad. Changes for the sake of responding to complaints with no direction for the class is extremely frustrating.

@"Charley.1489" said:Please Devs realize not everyone wants to be condi build or condi class in WvW or just a support build. It should be about the player's choice and options not what YOU want us to play. You are driving more players away

Not everyone wants to play PvP or WvW either. These "adjustments" harm us casual, OWPvE players. :(

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Charley.1489" said:Please Devs realize not everyone wants to be condi build or condi class in WvW or just a support build. It should be about the player's choice and options not what YOU want us to play. You are driving more players away

Not everyone wants to play PvP or WvW either. These "adjustments" harm us casual, OWPvE players. :(

I'm not sure how? Patch notes say these changes are pvp and wvw only. My PVE build hits as strong if not stronger than ever.

@Casual Dad.2358 said:

I'm not sure how? Patch notes say these changes are pvp and wvw only. My PVE build hits as strong if not stronger than ever.

I was speaking generally rather than specifically. Sorry I wasn't clear. ;)

Disclaimer : I have not played in pvp since the patch came out.

I am fine with the idea to nerf slb a bit. It looks like most of the damage is still there and the dev still want a sicem build around so I am happy :). But :

Beastmastery : this nerf affects all slb builds. Kind of sad for those who did not play sicem.

Ferocious pets : they are competitive so we nerf stats? I semi agree... They are good but that is definitely not how it should work because you know… How many pets are bad and not updated? But the nerf on stats is nice because they leave pets alone

Wordly impact : It should not have been changed. This skill needs way more setup than a maul since you are static. People just running away avoid the hit without quickness.

Slb still misses something to have an identity to me. Losing 1 pet, maybe losing all if merging and having nerfed traits. Do not get me wrong I played it a lot in 2V2 and loved it. Merging needs something a little different, maybe additional effects depending on how long merged / unmerged you stay? (if I keep pushing it who knows one day it might be in game ^^).

So mixt feelings. I like the idea that the build is still there but I will be waiting for a few updates on slb in the future.

Thinking about the patch more, why do they keep nerfing WI? If theyre gunna take the flavor out of it, I would like them to rework it into a blast finisher and have a much wider radius with less damage (just make it a better overall aoe cleave somthing ranger can always use)

Honestly while its a nerf I never liked BM giving sb extra stats as it makes soulbeast less fun to play with out beast mastery and (also another issue i have with ws being our only cleanse)

@GUFF.5692 said:They nerfed the wrong things! Lol

It wasn't the extra stats from beastmastery or even mauls/worldly impacts that were the main problem.

The main problem with soulbeast in wvw is smokescale (stealth every 16s not counting long bow) and to a lesser extent boonbeast (nature magic/fresh reinforcement).

Balance those two things and you would see rangers actually using other pets and other trait lines. These nerfs will not change much. Therefore, we will continue to see cries for more ranger nerfs which will inevitably happen (as others have pointed out).

or give viability to other pets? smokescale is good where its at, it's the other pets that bring literally nothing of utility to the table.

better yet, remove pets , give us pet skill abilities on a hotbar and give us our coefficients back so we control all dmg and raise the ceiling of this class

@Eleazar.9478 said:Thinking about the patch more, why do they keep nerfing WI? If theyre gunna take the flavor out of it, I would like them to rework it into a blast finisher and have a much wider radius with less damage (just make it a better overall aoe cleave somthing ranger can always use)

WI does less damage than a Maul now. What's the point for such a long cooldown non mobile skill ? WI has no flavor, it doesn't stun, it doesn't buff, it's a simple skill.

Why are you playing ranger in WvW unless you're roaming?

Maul probably shouldn't have been touched since it has a huge tell. Worldly Impact does damage but with the reduced bonuses to Ferocious / Pack Alpha effect it probably is over-nerfed.

Pack Alpha: Reduced stats granted to merged soulbeasts from 150 to 75 in PvP and WvW. <--- totally expected as +150 is a huge bonus to power , condition damage, precision, vitality, toughness

Pet's Prowess: Reduced ferocity granted to merged soulbeasts from 300 to 150 in PvP and WvW. <--- totally expected as +300 ferocity is 20% crit damage , +150 is 10% crit damage in line with other classes' traits

Ferocious (Soulbeast Pet Archetype Effect): Reduced power granted from 200 to 100 in PvP and WvW. <--- totally expected , keep in mind +100 ferocity is retained

Maul: Reduced power coefficient from 1.5 to 1.36 in PvP and WvW. <-- unexpected ~10% reduction

Worldly Impact: Reduced power coefficient from 1.512 to 1.36 in PvP and WvW. <--- unexpected ~10% reduction

Let's say you run beast mastery + marksmanship + wilderness survival core ranger , you lose +75 to all stats when merged along with the +7% under fury , optional 10% vs targets with less health %, and 5% vs disabled targets as opposed to soulbeast with beast mastery+ wilderness survival. There's +15% vs disabled targets in marksmanship along with 5-10% damage bonus based on range and might gain from Hunter's Gaze , so given that attacking from the side is a far larger condition than range, it's better to use marksmanship+ beastmastery.

Running skirmishing makes up for some damage via +250 ferocity under fury and +10% attacking from the side but is more conditional than marksmanship.

If you drop beast mastery you lose the +10% damage on greatsword as well as optional +120 ferocity from honed axes.

People complaining about Maul is always the most bizarre thing. Do they not see or hear the giant ghost bear or something?

@Casual Dad.2358 said:

These
changes, yes, and most (but not all) of the last patch, but they've got a long history of gutting things across the board for PVP/WvW reasons. See also: pretty much every single pet nerf.