Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Older Backpacks Dye-able?


Recommended Posts

Probably a long shot, and probably been asked, but I can't find it so...

Just wondering if there are plans to take some of the older backpack items and make them dye-able or will this just be something for new backpacks going forward?

Items like the Scaled Dragon Wings or the Citadel Assault Pack would be much more appealing if they were dye-able. With the steady pace of newer dye-able backpacks coming out it really makes them feel quite dated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Jaquelidor.2618 said:Probably a long shot, and probably been asked, but I can't find it so...

Just wondering if there are plans to take some of the older backpack items and make them dye-able or will this just be something for new backpacks going forward?

Items like the Scaled Dragon Wings or the Citadel Assault Pack would be much more appealing if they were dye-able. With the steady pace of newer dye-able backpacks coming out it really makes them feel quite dated.

Only new going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they said when they released the first dye-able back item(I think it was the cape?) that they didn't have any plans to go back and make the older backpacks dye-able. Personally I think it's something they consider since it would make a lot of the older glider/backpack combos more desirable, which would translate to more gem sales, but it may be more involved to do than they feel it's worth. I know I'd buy the Legion Jetpack Glider/backpack and maybe a few others if I could dye them though, so I hope they consider going back and improving them one day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Josiah.2967 said:This is frustrating. I bought the Skeleton Wings which came after the first dyable backpack/glider. I would love this to be updated. I would even buy an item that upgrades these for an additional 150 gems.

I’m pretty certain that backpack predates the first dyeable back item (capes I think?) by 2 months

Or is it the glider that isn’t dyeable? Because if that’s the case then yeah that should be updated

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:It's not going to happen, coding changes were made to included dye channels for the newer backpacks that cannot be easily added to the very sizable number of older backpacks.

Alright so here's the solution: Don't change the old ones. Remake all the existing ones using the current code with dye channels. Make an NPC that has all the undyeable backpacks currently and 1:1 exchange for the new version.

I mean if they can figure out how to FINALLY put capes in the game I think they can figure this out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Brian.6435 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:It's not going to happen, coding changes were made to included dye channels for the newer backpacks that cannot be easily added to the very sizable number of older backpacks.

Alright so here's the solution: Don't change the old ones. Remake all the existing ones using the current code with dye channels. Make an NPC that has all the undyeable backpacks currently and 1:1 exchange for the new version.

I mean if they can figure out how to FINALLY put capes in the game I think they can figure this out.

Its effectively the same thing, roughly the same amount of work. Its not going to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Jaquelidor.2618 said:Probably a long shot, and probably been asked, but I can't find it so...

Just wondering if there are plans to take some of the older backpack items and make them dye-able or will this just be something for new backpacks going forward?

Items like the Scaled Dragon Wings or the Citadel Assault Pack would be much more appealing if they were dye-able. With the steady pace of newer dye-able backpacks coming out it really makes them feel quite dated.

They can't sell them again to people who already bough them, so not a snowballs chance in hell. I'm sure they could, but they wouldn't benefit from that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Brian.6435 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:It's not going to happen, coding changes were made to included dye channels for the newer backpacks that cannot be easily added to the very sizable number of older backpacks.

Alright so here's the solution: Don't change the old ones. Remake all the existing ones using the current code with dye channels. Make an NPC that has all the undyeable backpacks currently and 1:1 exchange for the new version.

I mean if they can figure out how to FINALLY put capes in the game I think they can figure this out.

Actually, I don't think they'd need to even do that if it's really on the coding side of things. There are several methods coders can use to avoid writing the same code more than once, one being class inheritance. They might be able to swap the parent class of the older backpacks that they want to work with, which would inherit all of the functions and variables from the newer parent class into the older backpacks. The most likely hurdle with this approach would probably be the syntax errors that they'd need to correct, which can be a problem if there are thousands of lines of syntax errors. One possible obstacle would be that the newer class is just flat out excluding similar functions and variables that the older class provides, but I can't really see that getting in the way most of these back pieces. I have reasonable doubt that these older backpacks would each have thousands of lines of unique code that they would need to run through.

I believe that the hardest part would actually be correcting the older art assets to be in uniform with the newer assets. If there's something named differently or the positioning is different in the art, that wouldn't work with the newer code.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Quench.7091 said:Actually, I don't think they'd need to even do that if it's really on the coding side of things. There are several methods coders can use to avoid writing the same code more than once, one being class inheritance. They might be able to swap the parent class of the older backpacks that they want to work with, which would inherit all of the functions and variables from the newer parent class into the older backpacks. The most likely hurdle with this approach would probably be the syntax errors that they'd need to correct, which can be a problem if there are thousands of lines of syntax errors. One possible obstacle would be that the newer class is just flat out excluding similar functions and variables that the older class provides, but I can't really see that getting in the way most of these back pieces. I have reasonable doubt that these older backpacks would each have thousands of lines of unique code that they would need to run through.

I believe that the hardest part would actually be correcting the older art assets to be in uniform with the newer assets. If there's something named differently or the positioning is different in the art, that wouldn't work with the newer code.It's not that. As far as structure goes, the old backpacks are probably already changed to the new model. It's just that they have zero selectable color channels.

Consider the armor pieces: most of them have 4 color channels, but some have less - 3, 2 or 1., and some (like radiant and hellfire armor) have zero. That's even though all of them use exactly the same system.

If you take a black-and-white image and save it as a color image file, it will still be black and white, even though it supports colors. It won't sudenly gain colors until someone adds them manually. The same thing is with color channels - some elements of the original backpack that have designated color need to be removed, and in their place elements tied to color channels need to be added in. That's a manual work, not something that can be scripted.

We don;t know how much of a work it is, but apparently it's quite a lot - too much for Anet to consider retroactively changing all old backpacks. And since they could not change all, they probably decided it's better to not do it at all (because any choice they might make would be arbitrary, and likely be met with people asking why they picked this backpack over that one), and just use that option only for the new items.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Quench.7091 said:Actually, I don't think they'd need to even do that if it's really on the coding side of things. There are several methods coders can use to avoid writing the same code more than once, one being class inheritance. They might be able to swap the parent class of the older backpacks that they want to work with, which would inherit all of the functions and variables from the newer parent class into the older backpacks. The most likely hurdle with this approach would probably be the syntax errors that they'd need to correct, which can be a problem if there are thousands of lines of syntax errors. One possible obstacle would be that the newer class is just flat out excluding similar functions and variables that the older class provides, but I can't really see that getting in the way most of these back pieces. I have reasonable doubt that these older backpacks would each have thousands of lines of unique code that they would need to run through.

I believe that the hardest part would actually be correcting the older art assets to be in uniform with the newer assets. If there's something named differently or the positioning is different in the art, that wouldn't work with the newer code.It's not that. As far as structure goes, the old backpacks are probably already changed to the new model. It's just that they have zero selectable color channels.

Consider the armor pieces: most of them have 4 color channels, but some have less - 3, 2 or 1., and some (like radiant and hellfire armor) have zero. That's even though all of them use exactly the same system.

If you take a black-and-white image and save it as a color image file, it will still be black and white, even though it supports colors. It won't sudenly gain colors until someone adds them manually. The same thing is with color channels - some elements of the original backpack that have designated color need to be removed, and in their place elements tied to color channels need to be added in. That's a manual work, not something that can be scripted.

We don;t know how much of a work it is, but apparently it's quite a lot - too much for Anet to consider retroactively changing all old backpacks. And since they could not change all, they probably decided it's better to not do it at all (because any choice they might make would be arbitrary, and likely be met with people asking why they picked this backpack over that one), and just use that option only for the new items.

Yeah, the dye channels are probably the biggest thing that are not uniform, as there isn't any. The thing that strikes me is some of these glider/back 3D models are really close to each other. Some glider skins are obviously too different to their back counterparts. Some are pretty much the same 3D models, just arranged differently, which brings into question if they can move some of these assets over somehow. For example, the Legion Jetpack. The biggest difference between the glider and the back of that jetpack from our perspective is that the afterburners are glowing. There's a chance that this glider is uniform enough to work as a backpiece, although we wouldn't be able to determine that as outsiders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...