Make Death judgement unblockable

EremiteAngel.9765

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:Reflecting Death's Judgement does not kill the deadeye. Reflected attacks do not benefit from malice damage bonuses, or any of the thief's other bonuses.

Other attacks maybe not, but why wouldn't it work in case of DJ?

Because reflecting the shot would not take into consideration the origination's malice stacks, unless the person who is reflecting the shot is also a Deadeye, and happens to have stacks of malice built up as well.

From experience, most people don't even try to block DJ, they dodge it. DJ hits so hard, plus many still run basi venom that there is no possible way to hear/see a DJ incoming, check to see if BV is on, then quickly choose between blocking/dodging. Adding unblockable to DJ wouldn't do much for it. I would like for DE rifle to receive an unblockable that's not their stealth opener (since this isn't that accessible and does very low damage) but not DJ.

@Arcaedus.7290 said:From experience, most people don't even try to block DJ, they dodge it. DJ hits so hard, plus many still run basi venom that there is no possible way to hear/see a DJ incoming, check to see if BV is on, then quickly choose between blocking/dodging. Adding unblockable to DJ wouldn't do much for it. I would like for DE rifle to receive an unblockable that's not their stealth opener (since this isn't that accessible and does very low damage) but not DJ.

Cursed bullet can be used 7 times in a row on the build you see most Deadeye's running. Sure it's not rapid attacks, but it is very accessible. SA, Trick, DE.

Odd. Power DE can pull it's own weight in DPS, near staff DD and in WVW it's currently one of the most talked/complained about "op" spec with it's zerg synergy. Open world p/p DE is probably the most easiest and efficient build as well. That leaves SPVP and yes, there it's not the strongest spec by far. But overall, that's plenty of decent performance to not warrant the "worst of all of them".

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:The skill is highly telegraphed, high initiative cost and easily dodged. Or reflected killing the deadeye. Will it be fairer to make it unblockable?

If they make all the "unblockable" attacks for the classes I play actually unblockable, sure. Otherwise join the club.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I more interesting dynamic would be to have DJ's shot "pass through" other targets on its way to its intended target. Thematically this is pretty brilliant... assuming I'm correctly attributing its references to 70s/80s era Gunslinger styled comics, featuring Agents acting as Bounty Hunter or Collector for super natural beings (usually the Devil, Death, or Judge-like figure). They follow a code, or at least discretion in targets, that seeks to avoid collateral damage unless provoked. I'm hard pressed to recall titles from earlier eras, but more contemporary examples include Spawn and Ghost Rider.

Anyway, its simply a question of how to make that pass through mechanic work, and how it can be leveraged for game play triggers. For instance, the shot could be unblockable and pierce, but deal 0 damage to unintended targets.... but seeing as its still impacting, it counts as a hit, and triggers various effects based on it; So it would trigger things like retaliation, traits, and runes. Or you could implement a "evade only this projectile" flag, so it doesn't trigger "when hit" effect for non-targets, allowing it pass through everything else unabated. But that leaves the question invulnerablity, reflect, blocks, etc, as those effects can preclude evades (at least on the character end). Or they could do a flag where the projectile ignores other player hit boxes entirely, which prevents other sourced effects from protecting the intended target. The groundwork for any of these can open up several other options for later Especs to take advantage of- not so much as one upping "unblockable", but altering delivery mechanisms for both ranged offensive and support skills.

I am ok with it being blockable - what deadeye needs is more piercing. Seeing it bounce off a pet or unintended target is what kills it for me. As a ranger I can spame my piercing longbow all over the place and know its going to hit both the target and deal lots of damage to anything that happens to wander in the way as well. This is a great benefit in zergy wvw situations or where there are many mobs.

@chronometria.3708 said:I am ok with it being blockable - what deadeye needs is more piercing. Seeing it bounce off a pet or unintended target is what kills it for me. As a ranger I can spame my piercing longbow all over the place and know its going to hit both the target and deal lots of damage to anything that happens to wander in the way as well. This is a great benefit in zergy wvw situations or where there are many mobs.

If they would make just the autos pierce in addition to the number 2 skills pierce, I think that would at least help push rifle in the right direction.

i dont have issues with that people just rotating blocks and reflects i can mostly kill with curesed bullet and even tho i am fullberserk a reflected DJ mostly only eals up to 6-7k dmg so i still survive it. so no i dont need unblockable and if i want it sometimes i use BV

@starlinvf.1358 said:I think I more interesting dynamic would be to have DJ's shot "pass through" other targets on its way to its intended target.

would love that. soo often another target went into the way like a rangers pet or ever tried to hit a minion master reaper with Rise! with that shot ? :Dand even players i had alot that i marked a player and when i wanted to shoot him he went behind his mate so his mate dropped.. and most of those people dont even try to rez their mate then..

but i think its hard to do. if it was a ranged targeted attack like that lightingning strike from eles scepter air 2 it would work but i am not sure if projectiles in this game are able to pass through things if not piercing. piercing would be too strong, hitting pierced unintended targets for 0 would look strange tho.

Archived