Remove Hearts from Map Completion

@Vayne.8563 said:

@"Sheader.6827" said:Please take note that people do Map Completion primarily for the Gift of Exploration, and that is not supposed to be easy to get. If your goal isn't Gift of Exploration then Map Completion is completely optional for you, you don't have to do it.

This is always a hoot. Wasting time is not "difficult", it's still really easy. Also, legendaries are optional too so...?

Perserverence IS difficult for some people. I'm not a grinder and I don't grind map complete, yet I've made 29 legendary weapons, including most of the core game ones. How? By not focusing on map completion. As I run around the world, I do a few things in passing. Disarm a trap. Remove a weed. Kill a centaur. That's it. The game remembers what I did.

When I come back through I might do another, or I might not. I also do events sometimes, which fill in hearts incidentally.

And at the end of just playing, and that's all I'm doing, suddenly 80% of a heart is done and I can finish it off in a minute. It's only a problem if you want it now, or you're choosing to grind it.

Of course i grind it because they sucks, so the sooner it's over the sooner i can move on, doing it slowly won't change that fact. I only did the PoF hearts that were required for E-spec collections and never did them again.Maybe one day i will do full map completion in PoF too but it's not today. If it isn't dull for you then good for you, simplicity itself. I guess we will see if they make them equally boring in cantha.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@"Sheader.6827" said:Please take note that people do Map Completion primarily for the Gift of Exploration, and that is not supposed to be easy to get. If your goal isn't Gift of Exploration then Map Completion is completely optional for you, you don't have to do it.

This is always a hoot. Wasting time is not "difficult", it's still really easy. Also, legendaries are optional too so...?

Perserverence IS difficult for some people. I'm not a grinder and I don't grind map complete, yet I've made 29 legendary weapons, including most of the core game ones. How? By not focusing on map completion. As I run around the world, I do a few things in passing. Disarm a trap. Remove a weed. Kill a centaur. That's it. The game remembers what I did.

When I come back through I might do another, or I might not. I also do events sometimes, which fill in hearts incidentally.

And at the end of just playing, and that's all I'm doing, suddenly 80% of a heart is done and I can finish it off in a minute. It's only a problem if you want it now, or you're choosing to grind it.

Of course i grind it because they sucks, so the sooner it's over the sooner i can move on, doing it slowly won't change that fact. I only did the PoF hearts that were required for E-spec collections and never did them again.Maybe one day i will do full map completion in PoF too but it's not today. If it isn't dull for you then good for you, simplicity itself. I guess we will see if they make them equally boring in cantha.

You miss the point completely. It only sucks if you're doing it all at once, because your'e doing it all at once. There's no way you can convince me that as you're running through a zone to an event, if you stop and do one trap in passing, it's the same thing as grinding out 303 hearts. I'm playing the game and the hearts are getting done, even though I haven't set out to do most of them.

@Vayne.8563 said:

You miss the point completely. It only sucks if you're doing it all at once, because your'e doing it all at once. There's no way you can convince me that as you're running through a zone to an event, if you stop and do one trap in passing, it's the same thing as grinding out 303 hearts. I'm playing the game and the hearts are getting done, even though I haven't set out to do most of them.

It sucks for me because they are boring, simple as that. There is no other reason i need than that. As i said, if you can ignore that then good for you, i won't. If they didn't require any more than the base game hearts to complete, then it would be fine but someone at anet got a "great" idea. You do you, quit trying to explain fool decisions.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Yggranya.5201 said:It sucks for me because they are boring, simple as that.Would you rather have quests for days without end, like in other MMORPGs?Because that would be the
only
alternative. And that is the alternative that Arenanet did
not
want.

How about they make them the same as they were in base game? Or did you not even read my other post or something?

• 2 months later...

If you get to remove hearts from map completion, then I get to remove jumping puzzles from map completion. Or maybe they can give us an option box of which things we want to do?

Yeah... probably not. Guess they better leave it as it is.

@Sheader.6827 said:Please take note that people do Map Completion primarily for the Gift of Exploration, and that is not supposed to be easy to get. If your goal isn't Gift of Exploration then Map Completion is completely optional for you, you don't have to do it.

Wait... what? I never heard of the gift of exploration, and I love doing map completions. B)

I have to say no to this, even though I do hate some of the hearts myself.

But my biggest issue with hearts isn't that some activities are repetitiously "meh." Being a waiter for Charr at Meatober fest isn't why I picked up Guild Wars 2.

But no, that's a smaller gripe. My biggest issue is that some hearts need to be reviewed for coverage/practicality. It's when they may ask me to murder XYZ to fill the heart, and the area that counts towards the heart only includes 2 XYZ, while there are 50 XYZ outside that area, that I really start grinding my teeth in frustration. Feels like absolutely no oversight went into drawing those boundaries.

the only heart-quest i have issues with is the Ash Legion stealth thing (which isnt even hard just frustrating at times, but it can be cheesed with gliding and climbing things)

so no, they shouldn't remove these hearts.

what they do need to do is increase the spawn/refresh of interactables or enemies related to the heart so any increase or decrease in player-count at any given time will not affect completion rate (like those portals and tormented ghost npcs in queensdale swamp)

@"Laila Lightness.8742" said:Can they also remove vistas? I hate them as much as hearts

Anet could make a fortune with a gem store item that does a "skip what I don't like" for map completion. Hearts for some, vistas for others, POIs for a few I'm sure and think of the cash that would pour in for the gift of battle from folks who don't like WvW. Didn't they already do something like that for waypoints, time to go the rest of the way.

I am doing my second ever map completion (first one I completed in the first year of GW2. Although I do agree that the hearts are the most time consuming part, but you just have to bite the bullet and do it. It’s not going to change. It hasn’t for 8 years. I think you’re just trying to make it easier than what it already is. First, no more WvW completion required. Second, mounts make it go much faster, esp for vistas. If ANET did do this there would be nothing left to map completion. Hearts would be useless also. Not going to happen, and it shouldn’t.

@"Swagger.1459" said:Objectively speaking, those who oppose dropping the heart quest requirements for completion can still do heart quests all they want until the game shuts down. Some of us don't like the over-grind and repetitiveness Anet imposes in every area of the game. It's excessive all around in GW2, and some give and take here and there from Anet can make a difference.

Then simply don't do it. If it's going to be "But I want rewarded for it anyway", too bad? I have to rofl at "repetitiveness" being an issue in an MMO as well. Did you know there are entire groups of players that will do the same content over and over on purpose, even though it's not "required"? They're called "Progression Raiders". The more you know, eh?

I have 100% completion on 1 character. The rest blow through maps gaining xp for personal story advancement, and then do that. It's not required for anything I do, so I don't have to worry about it. The "I don't want to do it, but I want the benefits" crowd is out of luck, in so far as I'm concerned, as I honestly believe if one wants something one should do what's required to get it, instead of insisting that the game be changed to accommodate them. It shouldn't be changed, especially not for that.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Tukaram.8256 said:If you get to remove hearts from map completion, then I get to remove jumping puzzles from map completion.Just pointing out that jumping puzzles are not required for map completion. They are optional content.

Some of them are required for map completion.For example, there is a Vista on top of Vizier's Tower. I think there's a hero point as well.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Tukaram.8256 said:If you get to remove hearts from map completion, then I get to remove jumping puzzles from map completion.Just pointing out that jumping puzzles are not required for map completion. They are optional content.

Some of them are required for map completion.For example, there is a Vista on top of Vizier's Tower. I think there's a hero point as well.

Not sure that one has to complete the JP to get those?