Why does no one talk?

@"trixantea.1230" said:GW2 sometimes feels more like a single player game than an MMO. Maybe this is why people do not need to talk too much in it. Aside from guild chat, it's not difficult to find someone to converse with in places like lion's arch or divinity's reach if you know how to start a good conversation.

Anyway, it would be always be healthier for a person to try to talk with family and real life friends than talking to random strangers inside a video game.

Well, all "modern" mmorpg are like this : so easy and soloable + all tool to find group w/o speaking to anyone.I don't like these thing and still ask party in chat map and try to speak with people in meta group trying to be funny and have some fun with few people.I don't like what "mmo" have become.At this point I'm just waiting for Pantheon, seem the only mmo project what actually gonna be a true mmo.I'm always a bit sad and I look at what mmo are these day, I miss old MMO like L2 where nothing was achievable alone without speaking to other.That also a big problem from "no class role", if no role that just mean everyone can do everything alone, that a bad design imho.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

map chat is often filled with guild recruitments and as a guild leader i don't ever need to read that, plus it is quite annoying. that is my major reason to disable map chats.

if you want chatter in a map chat, go to thunderhead peak during meta times and complain about lag. that always works.

@SirRocket.3516 said:GW2 seems to be full of introverts, the chats pretty much always dead. Its seldom seen people just talking away. Every time I try to talk everyone just ignores you. Is there a reason GW2 has always been so socially barren?

Action/twitch combat does not lend itself to typing, nor does high mob density.

I find that most of the time that I start typing is when I am at a waypoint or outpost, fwiw.

Chatting with guild members - sureChatting with strangers I'll probably never meet again - nty

Posting on the forums due to frustrations with the game for the odd chance of them ever fixing something - sureRandom chat on the forums - mods would just ruin all the fun

@Orack.9756 said:

@"trixantea.1230" said:GW2 sometimes feels more like a single player game than an MMO. Maybe this is why people do not need to talk too much in it. Aside from guild chat, it's not difficult to find someone to converse with in places like lion's arch or divinity's reach if you know how to start a good conversation.

Anyway, it would be always be healthier for a person to try to talk with family and real life friends than talking to random strangers inside a video game.

Well, all "modern" mmorpg are like this : so easy and soloable + all tool to find group w/o speaking to anyone.I don't like these thing and still ask party in chat map and try to speak with people in meta group trying to be funny and have some fun with few people.I don't like what "mmo" have become.At this point I'm just waiting for Pantheon, seem the only mmo project what actually gonna be a true mmo.I'm always a bit sad and I look at what mmo are these day, I miss old MMO like L2 where nothing was achievable alone without speaking to other.That also a big problem from "no class role", if no role that just mean everyone can do everything alone, that a bad design imho.

hardcore games will be niche game at best. any dev, that pumps years of work and money into a project dont really want that, they simply NEEDthe filthy casuals to keep the dream alive. whaling is VERY lucrative, and without casuals, the PVP scene will deflate into the same few teams fighting each other, over and over.wow could only make all those raids, because millions of casuals were there to pay for thempantheon will end up the same place, as albion did

@battledrone.8315 said:

hardcore games will be niche game at best. any dev, that pumps years of work and money into a project dont really want that, they simply NEEDthe filthy casuals to keep the dream alive. whaling is VERY lucrative, and without casuals, the PVP scene will deflate into the same few teams fighting each other, over and over.wow could only make all those raids, because millions of casuals were there to pay for thempantheon will end up the same place, as albion did

That why I wait for Pantheon who specifically aim for a niche community to regroup all old player who miss the difficult world and the importance to have lot of different class to made a good party + ofc, lot of communication.I think it's gonna be my last hope for mmorpg, if this project didn't end well, then I'm done with mmorpg.

@Severo.7091 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:the worst thing that happened in the 7 billion years this earth exists is human kind, i really don't want to deal with them more then i have to.

more like 4 billion. Just saying.

7 billion but we only have an actual planet for 4 billion, before that it was a huge mess of rocks slamming against each other, also the reason why we have a moon.

@SirRocket.3516 said:GW2 seems to be full of introverts, the chats pretty much always dead. Its seldom seen people just talking away. Every time I try to talk everyone just ignores you. Is there a reason GW2 has always been so socially barren?

I don't chat, except in WvW. What kinds of things do you put in chat which you believe should be answered? Really curious.

@Kosmo.3468 said:

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:
  • Stopped talking because this "community" really is more of a nuisance than anything else. "one of the nicest communities" my kitten.

I migrated to this forums because the subreddit one is just insufferable. I've seen genuine newbie questions being downvoted to 30%, with answers like: "google it up, spammer". What the hell is wrong with these people.

PvEr's in every game I've ever played have always been some of the most toxic people, It also doesn't help that this game is the only game that has "casual Elitists" where they are casual but they in their own right consider themselves and Elite player. This has been compounded by specific things the dev's have done such as bringing in raiding, raiding brought to the player-base a type of player that prior had been purposefully excluded from the community. With the community dwindling in numbers the toxicity of those who are as they are becomes more apparent... I honestly think this is one of the "worst communities" I've ever been apart of outside of perhaps the warhammer online private server.

Im sorry you were down-voted, if you have questions feel free to message me in game. Im not a know it all but ill help if I can, and for what its worth I hope to see ya around mate. Good gaming too ya~

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:the worst thing that happened in the 7 billion years this earth exists is human kind, i really don't want to deal with them more then i have to.

more like 4 billion. Just saying.

7 billion but we only have an actual planet for 4 billion, before that it was a huge mess of rocks slamming against each other, also the reason why we have a moon.

Yes, 7 Billion population. The actual age of the Earth is 4.5 Billion years old.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

• Stopped talking because this "community" really is more of a nuisance than anything else. "one of the nicest communities" my kitten.

I migrated to this forums because the subreddit one is just insufferable. I've seen genuine newbie questions being downvoted to 30%, with answers like: "google it up, spammer". What the hell is wrong with these people.

PvEr's in every game I've ever played have always been some of the most toxic people, It also doesn't help that this game is the only game that has "casual Elitists" where they are casual but they in their own right consider themselves and Elite player. This has been compounded by specific things the dev's have done such as bringing in raiding, raiding brought to the player-base a type of player that prior had been purposefully excluded from the community. With the community dwindling in numbers the toxicity of those who are as they are becomes more apparent... I honestly think this is one of the "worst communities" I've ever been apart of outside of perhaps the warhammer online private server.

Im sorry you were down-voted, if you have questions feel free to message me in game. Im not a know it all but ill help if I can, and for what its worth I hope to see ya around mate. Good gaming too ya~

PvP or PvE, everybody sucks equally. So the less i have to deal with other people the better.

@"SirRocket.3516" said:GW2 seems to be full of introverts, the chats pretty much always dead. Its seldom seen people just talking away. Every time I try to talk everyone just ignores you. Is there a reason GW2 has always been so socially barren?There are numerous reasons as to why and I'm sure other people will tell you about everything else.

However, I think that you are also onto something. In my experience the game did not use to be this "quiet" at all. To me that is more of a recent development and I would assume that it is tied to the kind of development that the game gets. More of more of the game has been designed in a direction of "playing alone together" (or simply playing alone) and one result of that is activity in things like chats.

This was a game that initially was built to be highly social and now quite alot of aspects of it is outright antisocial or circumvent the needs of socialization.

@subversiontwo.7501 said:

@"SirRocket.3516" said:GW2 seems to be full of introverts, the chats pretty much always dead. Its seldom seen people just talking away. Every time I try to talk everyone just ignores you. Is there a reason GW2 has always been so socially barren?There are numerous reasons as to why and I'm sure other people will tell you about everything else.

However, I think that you are also onto something. In my experience the game did not use to be this "quiet" at all. To me that is more of a recent development and I would assume that it is tied to the kind of development that the game gets. More of more of the game has been designed in a direction of "playing alone together" (or simply playing alone) and one result of that is activity in things like chats.

This was a game that initially was built to be highly social and now quite alot of aspects of it is outright antisocial or circumvent the needs of socialization.

I disagree. I think the prevalence of third-party voice chat has all but neutered in-game chat. People didn't have these options 7-8 years ago. That has nothing to do with any perception of the kind of development that the game gets.

@kharmin.7683 said:

I disagree. I think the prevalence of third-party voice chat has all but neutered in-game chat. People didn't have these options 7-8 years ago. That has nothing to do with any perception of the kind of development that the game gets.

this is also one of the things i noticed. pre-discord era (teamspeak and mumble days), more people talked in-game, in most online games i played.

when discord rose to popularity, in-game chat declined sadly.

i don't mind having a discord, and it was really helpful for call-outs during hard content (like when doing savage raids in ff14) but outside of those uses i still prefer to "talk" in-game by typing

@"kharmin.7683" said:I disagree. I think the prevalence of third-party voice chat has all but neutered in-game chat. People didn't have these options 7-8 years ago. That has nothing to do with any perception of the kind of development that the game gets.If you take a historical and gaming wide perspective, sure. However, I'm talking about GW2 in the span of let's say two years. It also doesn't explain why we are seeing a similar development on those voice chats in question. I have no idea how many public or semi-public voice chats there are for PvE or general gameplay these days. However, in WvW it is still pretty common for there to be semi-public voice chats on a server level (say, 500-2000 users). There is a pretty obvious pattern there with more and more players who join with their mics turned off or that administrators or people when trying to herd players towards those voice chats openly have to state "you don't have to talk, just come so you can listen". That really did not exist if you just go back a couple of years. There is a clear and present difference in how interactive the players are and how much of an identity or anonymity they have, at least in WvW.

I'm not saying that it has to be negative to be anonymous, shy or have some sort of social anxiety or whatever else you may attribute it to, but it is a rather interesting phenomenon that we now have such a dominant majority of anonymous players there. That kind of volume does not fit into norms.

@"Trise.2865" said:What are you on about? I have to turn map chat off just to get them to stop talking... and even that doesn't stop them, because they use /me emotes.

Same. Very little in map chat is worth engaging in, and most legitimate questions get answered sincerely and efficiently, and tied off with a nice "thank you!" from the asker.

The other game I play has a very, very, hyperactive map chat... and it's the worst display of human filth possible. It's literally the worst part of that game, aside from the few times it's so bad that it turns the corner to hilarious.

Our relatively quiet chat is a godsend, imo. There when you want it, safely ignorable when you don't.

@subversiontwo.7501 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:I disagree. I think the prevalence of third-party voice chat has all but neutered in-game chat. People didn't have these options 7-8 years ago. That has nothing to do with any perception of the kind of development that the game gets.If you take a historical and gaming wide perspective, sure. However, I'm talking about GW2 in the span of let's say two years. It also doesn't explain why we are seeing a similar development on those voice chats in question. I have no idea how many public or semi-public voice chats there are for PvE or general gameplay these days. However, in WvW it is still pretty common for there to be semi-public voice chats on a server level (say, 500-2000 users). There is a pretty obvious pattern there with more and more players who join with their mics turned off or that administrators or people when trying to herd players towards those voice chats openly have to state "you don't have to talk, just come so you can listen". That really did not exist if you just go back a couple of years. There is a clear and present difference in how interactive the players are and how much of an identity or anonymity they have, at least in WvW.

I'm not saying that it has to be negative to be anonymous, shy or have some sort of social anxiety or whatever else you may attribute it to, but it is a rather interesting phenomenon that we now have such a dominant majority of anonymous players there. That kind of volume does not fit into norms.

Discord channels like that led by a WvW commander exist so that the commander can shout out strategies and such. Even for someone who's lightning fast at typing, saying it out loud saves time and lets you keep using your keyboard for combat. Channels like that don't exist for small talk, they exist so the zerg can hear tactics quickly, so naturally there isn't much socialization and there are a ton of mic-off users.

It's kind of like saying "people just don't socialize in the grocery store" - of course they don't, because that's not what grocery stores are for.