New Mount Ability - [Merged]

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Super Hayes.6890" said:Underwater skimmer wouldn't serve any useful purpose. Would be exciting for like a week then the novelty would wear off unless additional underwater content is released. I hope it is something else.

Unless they're preparing for future content like visiting the Jade Sea and whatever may come with the Deep Sea Dragon which might be involved in the next expansion in some way. I say this because we know we're going to Cantha and there's this from the wiki page on the deep sea dragon.

"In 1332 AE, Taimi wrote that Canthan and Elonian sailors had recounted tales of strange creatures heretofore unknown emerging from the oceans, possibly tied to this dragon's resurgence.[1] She also speculated that the dragon might possess a degree of control over water and the oceans. The Pact Commander did not see any evidence of these creatures during their recent campaign in Elona, however."

@Solanum.6983 said:

@"Super Hayes.6890" said:Underwater skimmer wouldn't serve any useful purpose. Would be exciting for like a week then the novelty would wear off unless additional underwater content is released. I hope it is something else.

Unless they're preparing for future content like visiting the Jade Sea and whatever may come with the Deep Sea Dragon which might be involved in the next expansion in some way. I say this because we know we're going to Cantha and there's this from the wiki page on the deep sea dragon.

"In 1332 AE, Taimi wrote that Canthan and Elonian sailors had recounted tales of strange creatures heretofore unknown emerging from the oceans, possibly tied to this dragon's resurgence.[1] She also speculated that the dragon might possess a degree of control over water and the oceans. The Pact Commander did not see any evidence of these creatures during their recent campaign in Elona, however."

I hope so. Diving underwater would add as much as swim infusions did unless there is new content to explore that utilizes the dive ability.

It makes sense, since the main reason you use Skimmer is that you're over water (or quicksand/lava/ouchy stuff), so you're not really going to use the Barrel Roll ability all that much, compared to your #1 key on Raptor, Springer, Jackel, etc.

The only thing is, many of the water maps I can think of aren't deep enough to need an underwater mount. Maybe this is in preparation of the next expansion, Guild Wars 2: Wrath of Steve

Go ahead and speculate all over this thread. What do you think one of our mounts is hiding?

My guess, which is obviously the best guess, everyone is saying it is the best guess, my guesses can't really be describes as guesses...

Fishing from Skimmer. We ride the skimmer into open water where there is less activity and begin fishing.

@Super Hayes.6890 said:I hope so. Diving underwater would add as much as swim infusions did unless there is new content to explore that utilizes the dive ability.

Ack, good point. It would make the swim infusion useless. At the same time though, I want them to delete the re breather completely. Just remove it from the game, and let players see the rebreather skin on their helmet while underwater. This removes the requirement for a 7th Rune, and since there are no Legendary Rebreathers, removes the requirement for an additional rebreather for each set of gear you have.

Fishing from the Skimmer. We ride out to open water where there is little activity and start fishing. Giving the Skimmer the ability to swim underwater would be useful to more people and easier for the studio to program but wouldn't include fishing.

The icon looks like a Skimmer icon and the swirls at the top left look like water swirls. If so, they could indicate water swirling around the Skimmer as it moves underwater, or more likely, water swirling around a fish.

I think the ability for the skimmer to go underwater seems likely too. It would make sense, I always found it kind of weird that they look clearly aquatic but apparently can't go under the water, only over it. I've been hoping for an underwater mount for a while now too, and if Anet doesn't think it's worth making a whole new mount for that this would be a good compromise.

I'm trying not to get too attached to the idea though, just in case it turns out to be something else. I agree that the icon looks like a skimmer, the text says just 1 mount is getting a new ability so it's almost certainly something for the skimmer, but I'm not sure it will be going underwater. I don't know what else it could be, I just don't want to assume it's something I've been wanting for ages in case it isn't, because that would be disappointing.

@Super Hayes.6890 said:

@Super Hayes.6890 said:Underwater skimmer wouldn't serve any useful purpose. Would be exciting for like a week then the novelty would wear off unless additional underwater content is released. I hope it is something else.

I hope so. Diving underwater would add as much as swim infusions did unless there is new content to explore that utilizes the dive ability.

I agree, Underwater content isn't something they've done much with and has a lot of untapped potential. I can't see them working on a whole new ability just for exploring past content most of which like you said wouldn't utilize it.

On the icon skill of the roadmap it's a skimmer and if you pay attention, it has bubbles around tail and wave like symbols in upper corners: I really hope it's diving. Would be kinda stupid to show skimmer if not related to skimmer. I thought about a beauty contest too (making figures and poses/ dolphins tricks / tricks like dog whistle) but i'm more for option 1.

Maybe it'll be like, a dive n' glide. Like, it briefly "dives" into the water to gain speed and then leaps out of the water to then glide like a griffon. Allowing it to reach a greater speed than when it is otherwise just skimming over the water? Wouldn't work in really shallow water or on sulfur/quicksand/etc, but could be an interesting way to enhance movement over deep water. Just spit ballin here.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Super Hayes.6890 said:I hope so. Diving underwater would add as much as swim infusions did unless there is new content to explore that utilizes the dive ability.

Ack, good point. It would make the swim infusion useless.

These are the comments I was looking for. That's why I don't think underwater skimmer will be a thing--as much as I'd love it.

@Zephyr.5382 said:

Ack, good point. It would make the swim infusion useless.

These are the comments I was looking for. That's why I don't think underwater skimmer will be a thing--as much as I'd love it.

Unless the infusions increased the mount speed underwater...

As I said above, I hate the rebreather and the baggage that goes with it, but can't ignore that people spent time and coin to get those infusions ,and it wouldn't be right to just turn them into vendor trash.

The way the announcement is worded, it seems to new skill is tied to character birthdays. So would you need an 8 year old character to get access to this new skill?

If that is the case, I don't foresee this going over too well. Needing to play for 8 years to use a new ability?

As for what it actually could be, I hope it's not diving. Would rather it be something more universally useful.

@Memoranda.9386 said:The way the announcement is worded, it seems to new skill is tied to character birthdays. So would you need an 8 year old character to get access to this new skill?

If that is the case, I don't foresee this going over too well. Needing to play for 8 years to use a new ability?

As for what it actually could be, I hope it's not diving. Would rather it be something more universally useful.These are my thoughts exactly. It would cause an uproar if something like a skimmer going underwater or fishing was added and everyone could not use it.

@Solanum.6983 said:

You are most likely right.

They’ll finish jormag at the end of icebrood saga, that’s why they named it icebrood saga instead of LS5.

They will begin the new jade mastery on the third canthan expansion together the Jade Sea dragon boss. It’s good to know ascended underwater weapons will be useful soon.

Thus the fourth expansion will be the last and the dragon will be no other than primadorous. I bet it will be like deathwing where in the entire tyria will be in fires & the final battle will be at the heart/center of tyria which is lion’s arch. (Similar to LS3 white mantle invasion on tyria)

@particlepinata.9865 said:If i look at the picture i see a dog snout, look at it in reverse. Together with the hint text im thinking of a new skill for the jackall. So my prediction is it will not be the skimmer ;-p

It's literally the skimmer mastery icon, just log in and check it.

@Memoranda.9386 said:The way the announcement is worded, it seems to new skill is tied to character birthdays. So would you need an 8 year old character to get access to this new skill?If that is the case, I don't foresee this going over too well. Needing to play for 8 years to use a new ability?

I think this is a mistake on their end i think they wanted to split those 2 but because it will come after the birthday they putted it there. who knows.

As for what it actually could be, I hope it's not diving. Would rather it be something more universally useful.Diving is useful universally, we need a good way to swim since it is so outdated and annoying 99% of the times, and world completion for example requires a lot of underwater areas. Plus i guess they are preparing for a lot of underwater content that might come with next expansion.

@"Vissarion.6509" said:

Diving is useful universally, we need a good way to swim since it is so outdated and annoying 99% of the times, and world completion for example requires a lot of underwater areas. Plus i guess they are preparing for a lot of underwater content that might come with next expansion.

We can disagree on this. If I spend 95% over land, it is not universally useful. Even doing map completion in core Tyria (arguably the most expansive "water content" zones) most maps don't seem to have more more than 25% or so UW area to explore.

Something universal would be, say, a shield that absorbs damage for stamina. Or a "throw spear" skill that cripples enemies and does small damage. Something that can be used anywhere, and not only in a fraction of a map, in a fraction of the entire world.