Which profession can outplay everything?

whoknocks.4935

I feel like your best choices are probably thief or revenant. They're very different, but both have:

• Access to some solid movement skills, so you can pick-and-choose fights a bit, get away from ganks, and chase people down.
  • Class mechanics that don't force you to spend most of your time waiting on cooldowns -- for the thief, this is initiative letting you chain your attacks however you want them; for Rev, this is a good selection of low-cooldown skills gated by energy, which is a resource you can pool up carefully, or replenish by timing your legend-swaps.
  • Strong burst potential: not always top-tier, but also not the slowest or most telegraphed bursts in the game.
  • Useful counterplay to boon-stacking or condi spam in small scale.

(Rev is probably a better choice if you want to be able to rush into bigger battles without having to switch characters.)

@kash.9213 said:

@"KrHome.1920" said:Ranger

Mobility, longbow and tons of immobilize options has the potential to counter everything. The target has only one option to stall the fight, which is breaking LOS. But breaking LOS alone won't win fights for you.

The damage of a durable ranger build isn't that great but you will lose the attrition battle against every semi decent one eventually.

I just don't see how ranger could win against thief.

No class can "win" against
shortbow 5
...except another thief maybe, other than that...the good player always wins regardless of the class...but thief players just run away and come back with different build maybe after quickly 1200 range away

Shortbow 5 costs 6 Initiative, if you're forcing them to panic port with that then good job and that's about the time to close distance or pull while they're Initiative is replenishing. Or they'll just bug out but that's a win for you.

Close distance with what?

@subversiontwo.7501 said:The answer is the Thief (the way that the topic was framed and the question phrased) and no other answer is informed or honest.

If you are mainly looking to play and survive the Thief is the only class that can pick their fights at will and even reset their fights at will should they choose not to commit after engaging.

This also makes Thieves end up in this situation even just past the skill floor. You don't have to be particularily good at the class to pick your fights and escape them if they turn out less than ideal. This allows you to beat any class, even if you can not beat every player, by never really losing unless you commit to the fight to get caught.

This way i could just play something full tanky like ful minstrel bird soulbeast with sword dagger gs and no one would be able to kill me 1v1 , thats stupid way of see things tbh , thief has not that much good matchups when it comes to a same skill duels

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@"KrHome.1920" said:Ranger

Mobility, longbow and tons of immobilize options has the potential to counter everything. The target has only one option to stall the fight, which is breaking LOS. But breaking LOS alone won't win fights for you.

The damage of a durable ranger build isn't that great but you will lose the attrition battle against every semi decent one eventually.

shortbow 5
...except another thief maybe, other than that...the good player always wins regardless of the class...but thief players just run away and come back with different build maybe after quickly 1200 range away

Shortbow 5 costs 6 Initiative, if you're forcing them to panic port with that then good job and that's about the time to close distance or pull while they're Initiative is replenishing. Or they'll just bug out but that's a win for you.

May be look at skills. Believe it or not EVERY class has some kinda gap closer, even nec has with wurm. Just because theif used shortbow #5 doesn't mean they ported across the map, unless they combine it with shadow step/steal and at that point you are ooc your self. Thief will use sb5 most of the time because it has nothing left to do any kinda dmg.

if by "outplay" you mean that the opponent feels idiot after he dies... i would say classes with lots of either blocks/mobility/stealths/etc

so i'd say

Thief & Mesmer bcuz they have very little health but can stay alive a ton of time if the player is good ( which is not my case :D ) while doing decent damageFresh Air Elementalist feels the same since he's squishy af but can kite with movement skills and then unleash the burstthe last one might be Rev? idk never fought a rev outside of Conquest sPvP

Imo:

Thief: For obvious reasons. Can engage and disengage at will. The only time you should ever die is if you over commit. Has a few very powerful roaming specs. If you get outnumbered and no longer feel confident you have the ability to reset until odds are in your favor. No other class ( even mes ) offers as much mobility , dis engage and damage in one package - either in condi, power , ranged or melee. Group wise very lackluster but roaming - top tier.

Mesmer: Similar to thief with the ability to engage and disengage ( not nearly as efficient at it but still good). Good damage , decent sustain and if you go core pew pew shatter people will hate you. More easily countered then the thief though by many specs.

Rev: All I will say is there are a few builds that most don't play that really shine. Has, decent mobility , great sustain and access to both condi and power builds. The only weakness is its lack of true disengage. Rev has a very high skill ceiling when roaming but if played well they are a sight to behold are extremely powerful.

Ranger - Great mobility , damage and sustain. Its slowly been losing some of its power each patch but still shines in a roaming setting.

These imo are the top contenders.

• Confused 1

Pew Pew Ranger on a wall "wins" every time. The single target most damaging class is a ranged class that hits further away than any other class and has good escape mechanics. Not a melee class that has to soak up damage just to land a shot but a class that does its business without ever having to engage often safely from a wall.

• 8 months later...
On 8/14/2020 at 6:26 PM, Straegen.2938 said:

Pew Pew Ranger on a wall "wins" every time. The single target most damaging class is a ranged class that hits further away than any other class and has good escape mechanics. Not a melee class that has to soak up damage just to land a shot but a class that does its business without ever having to engage often safely from a wall.

You'll be delighted to know that it's getting yet another nerf! 😄  Which sounds sensible, in theory, but ...

... if you think that means people will fight more, you can forget it. It's FAR more likely they will just not play it - or not play at all.

On 8/14/2020 at 1:26 PM, Straegen.2938 said:

Ur dying to a wall ranger and u think ranger is the problem? This is exactly why anet needs to ignore 98% of feedback from their player base. Sry but its true.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Yeah it's clearly the wall that's the problem.

Lmao, we joke but that legit woulda been the posters next target to blame, u kno it to. The best part is I play same class as him very often, hint. . I can mark, knockdown and burst down targets in seconds from stealth lol, really fun when opponents being chased by teammates with 0 stunbreaks. Hard to believe a thief player would complain about a wall ranger or rangers in general given that although lb has a greater range than DE rifle, lb is still far less degenerate and offers a far more interactive experience for its opponents in most scenarios vs a DE with rifle lol. Rifle DE is literally the build i play in wvw if i want to cheese players for easy kills lol.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107

18 minutes ago, manu.7539 said:

Thieves and rangers, the obvious choices but some peoples find a way to shine whatever the class.

This^^ i hate when a zerg has a bunch of rangers, I mean their insane in zergs out playing everyone...err by standing on the wall spamming rapid fire and killing players who can't evade or back up outa range lol. I especially hate them in pvp outplaying everyone everywhere I turn lolz.

On 8/3/2020 at 5:00 PM, Junkpile.7439 said:

Thief of course :#

And this isn't even a meme statement.  Thief is the only class, that when played slightly above average, you can either win every fight, or at the very least, never lose a fight because you can reset 100% of the time.  Mistakes are less fatal than on other classes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, manu.7539 said:

Thieves and rangers, the obvious choices but some peoples find a way to shine whatever the class.

They've built to suit their playstyle, and adjusted their playstyle to match the meta. With this recent patch, though, the meta has changed a bit.

The class with the most access to stealth. Thief.

Stealth is by far the most broken mechanic in this game mode.

Personally speaking, when it comes to dueling and roaming, I feel very comfy on my ranger though. The only ones that give me any troubles are (very) good thief players and even then it's 50/50, and of course, other competent and experienced ranger players.

Everything else is either a win or a stalemate with you as a Ranger always having the Wolf elite to break any sustainy build at the right moment.

I think Ranger Soulbeast could be a comfortable second choice.

Those builds that guy posted above of ele and scrapper... with due respect, I think are a tad bit overrated.

Scrapper has gotten many direct and indirect nerfs over the last 3 patches. It's still great and it has good outplay potential but it's nowhere near what it once was.

D/D weaver doesn't have the damage to kill a remotely sustainy or sneaky build at all. It's just a sustainy 1v1 build designed to annoy and if they dare to put stats in condition damage, then you can ignore like 50%+ of its damage with cleansing sigils alone. Any class in the game can have a tanky, sustainy build that's attrition based and make it look good in an overly edited video.

Again, the class with, by far, the most outplay potential... is Thief.

• Thanks 2

On 8/9/2020 at 4:44 AM, Arheundel.6451 said:

shortbow 5

... Or pull. Or just don't do anything, that's an option I guess.