Mesmer portal shenanigans when placed on top of chests and other interactive items.

ArielRebel.3426

Can we get a fix. Quite tired of those highschoolers having a giggle glitching people outside of the map's boundaries because pressing F gives priority to taking their portal instead of opening a chest in Tarir. Easy solution would be to make it so any sort of portal requires you to HOLD the interaction key for say a whole second and not just press it.

Its unlikely to happen, because then anyone who gets the portal at the last moment might miss it. Content other than chest farms exists, and portals are heavily used in some of it, especially in JPs in PvE and as a general tactic in competitive modes.

I don't know why players think its someone else's fault they can't watch for a huge glowing purple disc.

I'd be in favor of a "Do you want to teleport?" prompt in PvE only, though.

@"Jagblade.4627" said:They should just make chests / loot take priority over portals, problem solved.

priority over portals and novelties , fixed it for ya ;)

if they do this, in the future, we'll finally be rid of threads similar to this thread and this one: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/114441/suggestion-to-reduce-novelty-trolling-minimum-distance-between-novelty-drops-and-interactive-items

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@"Jagblade.4627" said:They should just make chests / loot take priority over portals, problem solved.

priority over portals and novelties
, fixed it for ya ;)

if they do this, in the future, we'll finally be rid of threads similar to this thread and this one:

Oh right, forgot the plane helmet thingy that people place where chests appear. Good catch. Anet, make Chests have priority over portals and novelties.

@Jagblade.4627 said:They should just make chests / loot take priority over portals, problem solved.

ANet could make a short AoE around chests and items that one can interact with that will prevent any player NPCs that players can place in game world like and other player can interact with like personal BLTP vendors and Portals. Some of this is accidents (player don't move far enough while sorting their inventory and summon a NPC vendor or trigger Portal when they press wrong key), other have been placed with intention to block other player from access to what they really wanted to interact with (chest or NPCs vendors). There are some places where Action Camera can be really tricky to get the right interact to show up.

Sometimes cannot be avoided due to popping the portal, the moment you hit F.I fully agree this troll tool should be limited. There is no reason for portals on a chest.

Same goes for aviator boxes, merchants etc. Just a block so they get pushed to a location outside the chest bounding box. This works regardless if it was intended or accidental placement.

• Like 1

@"Tuna Bandit.3786" said:There is no reason for portals on a chest.

But there is. Sometimes the chest/objective is atop a pillar and there is no choice but to place the portal atop it.

Same goes for aviator boxes, merchants etc. Just a block so they get pushed to a location outside the chest bounding box. This works regardless if it was intended or accidental placement.

Agreed. Highly annoying when a merchant stands in a chest and makes it quite difficult to click the chest to open it. Whether intentional or accidental, these things could have a "ban radius."

• Like 1

I can think of at least three locations where banning portals from chest vicinities would cause sadness. End of Chaos Crystal Caverns, the chest on the narrow pinnacle in that Terra Carborundum JP, and the end of the quaggan jp. There might be workarounds to find close spots for portals, but the quaggan one in particular would be hard to safely place a useful portal.

It probably would be simpler to give chests priority. Most of the time if someone is by an unopened chest they want it open before they port anywhere. Also portals do fade away and chests are not usually mobbed by aggro, so there's time. If I'm trying to open a chest I will frequently wait the few seconds it takes for the portal to poof and the F interact to say it'll do what I want before I press it.

@DaFishBob.6518 said:Best solution is to create a default hotkey to cycle through usable objects. Then everyone will have the tools to ensure they open the chest and not use the random junk in the way.

Disagree. Players shouldn't have to do this. Best solution is for the game to not allow these things to drop within such a close proximity.

• Like 1

@kharmin.7683 said:

@DaFishBob.6518 said:Best solution is to create a default hotkey to cycle through usable objects. Then everyone will have the tools to ensure they open the chest and not use the random junk in the way.

Disagree. Players shouldn't have to do this. Best solution is for the game to not allow these things to drop within such a close proximity.

Just had a portal dropped on a JP chest for the daily because it takes place on a tiny platform. Would you be fine with that being made impossible?

@DaFishBob.6518 said:

Just had a portal dropped on a JP chest for the daily because it takes place on a tiny platform. Would you be fine with that being made impossible?

I don't have an issue with these things. I was merely responding to the "best solution" comment. Anything that players have to "work around" is, IMO, not the best solution.

However, to answer the question, yes I would be fine with it.

@kharmin.7683 said:

I don't have an issue with these things. I was merely responding to the "best solution" comment. Anything that players have to "work around" is, IMO, not the best solution.

However, to answer the question, yes I would be fine with it.

Well you seem to be fine with players working on their own to get to what they want. Happens to be what I want with my solution.

But your point is correct, I really shouldn't have called my post best solution though, somehow selecting the chest didn't block me from using the portal by mistake.

They should just make it impossible to put down a portal / novelty boxes / npc summons within a certain distance from chests. So say at least 3 or four character lengths away from the chest.You can't SEE a mesmer portal when there's 20 people on top of a chest that is almost as big as the portal. When you're meta hopping, you have to juggle your time spent looting, and your time getting on an organized meta map. Taking the time to carefully walk around a chest and wiggle around until the game finally lets you target the chest because some selfish person thinks they're funny is outrageous.I've lost the opportunity to loot certain chests due to the prank making it virtually impossible to target the chest within the time limit available. I've accidentally taken a stupid portal that was placed on a chest and it let me out from a terminal height, killing my character.

I have no idea why any one would defend people who are literally harassing other players.And there is no way else to report them.

• Like 1

@"ArielRebel.3426" said:that [...] should fall under exploit [...] and should be bannable.

but how can you report if you have no idea who set the portal? the abuser won't likely use the portal and thus is far away, you can't focus people outside your sight (which is a big problem on all those teleport hacks) and we have no report function that says "protocoll my last interaction, that wasn't right".

@Hannelore.8153 said:I don't know why players think its someone else's fault they can't watch for a huge glowing purple disc.

Because sometimes it happens that the second you click a portal pops up. Has happened to me too in the past, once or twice. These days I make sure I target the chest first before interacting with it, but that's also no 100% guarantee.

And for the record, it is someone else's fault when they deliberately troll people.

@DaFishBob.6518 said:

Well they are in the game as jumping puzzles, not as mesmer portal puzzles.. So I dont have a problem with it.