Tengu possible next playable race?

i think it will be tengu as there where tengu in cantha as well back in gw1 factions.

possibly the race arrives with cantha therefore.

just hope they will have nice facial design and look like dangerous eagles not like the ones we have ingame like mushi mushi mushi birds...

of they look like mushi mushi birds can directly leave it. we are fashion wars not mushi wars.

If they figure out a way to introduce them in a way they reuse armor and voice lines then I'm all for a new race.But if they can't then I'd say It'd be better to focus on parts of the game that need attention like raids/pvp/wvw since creating a whole new race from scratch and redoing every previous voiceline, outfit and armor would be intense and expensive work for just one race.

If we get a new race with EoD, then tengu seem like the most likely candidate (I'd personally say that the largos are the next most likely). But that is a big 'if'. They've talked before about how much work a hypothetical new race would be, but it's conceivable that they've decided the work would be worth it, or that they've managed to streamline some things that would make it easier. But I wouldn't pin all your hopes on it.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:We're never getting a new race unless it is just another humanoid, like the dwarves. They won't dump assets into outfitting all the armor in the game to fit Tengu.

Dwarves would be awesome but they went into hiding after gw1 and were presumed dead I thought? Also Tengu wouldnt require much armor updates I imagine?

I said before I stopped playing that, if they introduce a new race I'd come back for a min of 3 years. It's been, like 2 years so far.

My first pick would be Tengu but if they gave us Kodan, Largos or Dwarves, I'd accept that too. If they did something crazy like Skritt, I'd just be floored with glee. If they gave us more than one, I don't know what I'd do with myself. I think I'd prefer 1 human-like race and 1 non-human (hopefully to appease as many prospecting players as possible) but I'm not difficult to please in that regard.

• Like 1

@Legend of Rogue.5394 said:

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:We're never getting a new race unless it is just another humanoid, like the dwarves. They won't dump assets into outfitting all the armor in the game to fit Tengu.

Dwarves would be awesome but they went into hiding after gw1 and were presumed dead I thought? Also Tengu wouldnt require much armor updates I imagine?

Just every set of armor out there probably :lol:

@Legend of Rogue.5394 said:

Guess you have not played the dragon response missions?

The dwarfs are neither what you said in your post.

@Linken.6345 said:

Guess you have not played the dragon response missions?

The dwarfs are neither what you said in your post.

I havent nope

Quite tired of all this new race talk now.. it's been around for years and kind of had a resurgence lately but nothing has changed as to why new races are not only completely pointless and a waste of time but also how difficult it would be to implement them into the existing game without ruining it.

I get it.. I'd like a Tengu or a Kodan or a Dwarf as well and I'd love for your race to actually matter and play some role in the game outside of defining your appearance and voice, but it's not happening.Introducing a race this late in would be a nightmare to do even half right not to mention how much it would clash with the last 8 years of progressing story.. and it would be a monumental job to work this in.Especially when the only viable reason to do it can be achieved far more quickly and far more easily with a simple combat tonic.

The only way I can see new races being added without completely screwing up the game is if they are added after! the Elder Dragon storyline is finished and we move on to a whole new isolated sequel storyline.. a GW2.2 if you will.That would mean the new races would not have access to the personal story nor any of the existing storyline up to this point, though they would be able to play on all existing maps etc.They would start their fresh new stories chronologically after the Elder Dragons have been dealt with.. and these new characters would not be "The Commander" either, though they might fill the role as a successor eventually.That's the only way this kind of thing will work right imo.

WP (Wooden Potatoes) recently made a couple points about a new race, like the Tengu, that could actually be added without adding all the back VO work to previous content. The points were something like this:

First, there is no good reason that I see that a new Tengu race couldn't just be locked to EoD content as far as character creation and then if those new characters are taken to play old content that they just don't have VO. I agree with WP, that it's not the end of the world if there isn't VO for my character in story missions.

Skins, and armor are just work, and there isn't a real reason that Tengu characters don't get access to all the skins. I can't put all the available skins on my roller beetle, how is that much more different. Also, for all we know Tengu might fit into Char armor and skins with little work. We just don't know.

There is a very real possibility that Tengu as a playable race could have it's own story, separate from the Commander. In GW1 the Factions and Nightfall stories were a separate story and treated them as connected in the universe, but happening separately. The EoD story very well could be told from the perspective of Cantha which has been cut off from the rest of the world. Why does the commander have to be he protagonist? The Commander's chapter may come to and end with the Ice Brood Saga.

As a side note, everyone that says "this has been discussed before" or "it will never happen" or "stop bringing this dead horse topic back up" don't seem to understand that this is the purpose of this forum. All voices talking. There are no absolutes when it comes to these topics. The addition of mounts to the game is proof that dead horse topics can and do have impact in the game direction. You don't like someone's opinion or idea? Great, that's your freedom...you get your say, and so do they. The arrogant mob shouting down people's ideas is a cancer that should be purged. Be respectful, be humble, and state your opinion. Understand that everyone here can and should do the same.

@"MokahTGS.7850" said:As a side note, everyone that says "this has been discussed before" or "it will never happen" or "stop bringing this dead horse topic back up" don't seem to understand that this is the purpose of this forum. All voices talking. There are no absolutes when it comes to these topics. The addition of mounts to the game is proof that dead horse topics can and do have impact in the game direction. You don't like someone's opinion or idea? Great, that's your freedom...you get your say, and so do they. The arrogant mob shouting down people's ideas is a cancer that should be purged. Be respectful, be humble, and state your opinion. Understand that everyone here can and should do the same.I think that the problem is the topic continues to re-surface without adding anything new to the conversation. Pretty much everything has been said already in the threads I linked in my earlier post.I'm more than willing to engage in a discussion on this topic if something new were added to the discourse.

@MokahTGS.7850 said:Skins, and armor are just work, and there isn't a real reason that Tengu characters don't get access to all the skins. I can't put all the available skins on my roller beetle, how is that much more different. Also, for all we know Tengu might fit into Char armor and skins with little work. We just don't know.

Those are not the same thing.

@"MokahTGS.7850" said:As a side note, everyone that says "this has been discussed before" or "it will never happen" or "stop bringing this dead horse topic back up" don't seem to understand that this is the purpose of this forum. All voices talking. There are no absolutes when it comes to these topics. The addition of mounts to the game is proof that dead horse topics can and do have impact in the game direction. You don't like someone's opinion or idea? Great, that's your freedom...you get your say, and so do they. The arrogant mob shouting down people's ideas is a cancer that should be purged. Be respectful, be humble, and state your opinion. Understand that everyone here can and should do the same.The penchant for some of the forum regulars to play hall monitor and indulge in Forum Mod Roleplay aside, its important to remember that the developers themselves have stated it's much easier for them to track these requests and the discussion over them if they take place in a central area rather than being spammed out across multiple threads.

Some points of contention I have with your opinion:

@"Teratus.2859" said:I get it.. I'd like a Tengu or a Kodan or a Dwarf as well and I'd love for your race to actually matter and play some role in the game outside of defining your appearance and voice, but it's not happening.

On one hand, you understand that race is mostly (if not completely) cosmetic. Ok, so what difference is there between asking for a new race and more skins? If it doesn't actually matter, why add any cosmetics at all? Because it's "too hard"? Well I'll just remind you and others who post on these forums as a player: YOU'RE NOT DOING ANY WORK! The only work you're doing is reading posts on a forum. Unless you're building up psychiatrist fees from all the PTSD you're getting from READING posts on the INTERNET, it's kind of just blowing wind up a skirt to rile people up.

And to clarify, I have no qualms with you criticizing others' requests as I likely get more enjoyment pointing out hypocrisy than people do complaining about people making suggestions or requests for a game.

@"Teratus.2859" said:The only way I can see new races being added without completely screwing up the game is if they are added after! the Elder Dragon storyline is finished and we move on to a whole new isolated sequel storyline.. a GW2.2 if you will.That would mean the new races would not have access to the personal story nor any of the existing storyline up to this point, though they would be able to play on all existing maps etc.They would start their fresh new stories chronologically after the Elder Dragons have been dealt with.. and these new characters would not be "The Commander" either, though they might fill the role as a successor eventually.That's the only way this kind of thing will work right imo.

There are many different avenues one could take. There is certainly more than just one. At this point, however, it's closer to a guessing game whether they add a new race or not, much less what probable ways do they have to implement it.

Also, curious: how many players are out there replaying/grinding the old story instances after they already beat them on their 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 12th alt? I'm sure there are some out there but I'm mostly wondering if a new race were added but could only play up to a certain point in the "Personal Story", how many would be disappointed compared to the amount estimated by forum posters trying to shoehorn their limited perspective on the matter?

Personally speaking, I suppose just adding more skins would be easier, cheaper and faster...but I predicted this long ago that the more skins you add the less people will care until you change it up. Keep adding armor and weapon skins, eventually fewer and fewer people will care until something like backpacks or gliders or mounts are added that give a different dimension to skins you can collect. And in a game where cosmetics is supposedly the "end game", sometimes effort is required to keep the momentum. The game won't just infinitely roll along by adding a new set of skins here and there. All you've got are new stat nomenclatures, skins and a story....

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"MokahTGS.7850" said:As a side note, everyone that says "this has been discussed before" or "it will never happen" or "stop bringing this dead horse topic back up" don't seem to understand that this is the purpose of this forum. All voices talking. There are no absolutes when it comes to these topics. The addition of mounts to the game is proof that dead horse topics can and do have impact in the game direction. You don't like someone's opinion or idea? Great, that's your freedom...you get your say, and so do they. The arrogant mob shouting down people's ideas is a cancer that should be purged. Be respectful, be humble, and state your opinion. Understand that everyone here can and should do the same.I think that the problem is the topic continues to re-surface without adding anything new to the conversation. Pretty much everything has been said already in the threads I linked in my earlier post.I'm more than willing to engage in a discussion on this topic if something new were added to the discourse.

Funnily enough, the threads you linked came after this thread. If it's a problem that new people decide to chime in on the topic using another thread, why don't you ask the threads to be merged? Or would you rather new posters not be able to participate in old discussions?