Gemstore rotation is wayyy to slow [Merged]

@"Slowpokeking.8720" said:Some items only show up once for around 1 month or less and gone for the rest of the year, I don't think we should wait that long to spend out money, 3 months at most for the circle.

I don't even understand the dumb rotation thing. They're just digital items, what's the point of limiting them... Other games I play/spend money in store like Warframe, FFXIV and Path of Exile survive with their "Leave everything in the store forever" and remain some of the top money making games out there so the method clearly works and is less annoying. Then there's god awful games even worse with rotations like PSO2 that waste time designing an item just to sell it for 1 day out of the year and annoy their playerbase. Makes no sense. Don't be like PSO2's store, nothing should be :scream: Because of that I will never give them a cent.

There was an outfit I decided I finally wanted to buy in Gem Store recently but apparently it expired from store 6 days prior and hasn't been available for 2 years before it's return so I'll probably never see it again for ages and will have lost interest in it by that time. So their moment of them making cash off it from me is gone now.

• Like 1

@Doggie.3184 said:

@"Slowpokeking.8720" said:I don't even understand the dumb rotation thing. They're just digital items, what's the point of limiting them... Other games I play/spend money in store like Warframe, FFXIV and Path of Exile survive with their "Leave everything in the store forever" and remain some of the top money making games out there so the method clearly works and is less annoying. Then there's god awful games even worse with rotations like PSO2 that waste time designing an item just to sell it for 1 day out of the year and annoy their playerbase. Makes no sense. Don't be like PSO2's store, nothing should be :scream: Because of that I will never give them a cent.

this. im all for the same "Leave everything in the store forever". the only thing that should rotate in the gemstore are the %off sales/discounts

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@"Slowpokeking.8720" said:I don't even understand the dumb rotation thing. They're just digital items, what's the point of limiting them... Other games I play/spend money in store like Warframe, FFXIV and Path of Exile survive with their "Leave everything in the store forever" and remain some of the top money making games out there so the method clearly works and is less annoying. Then there's god awful games even worse with rotations like PSO2 that waste time designing an item just to sell it for 1 day out of the year and annoy their playerbase. Makes no sense. Don't be like PSO2's store, nothing should be :scream: Because of that I will never give them a cent.

this. im all for the same "Leave everything in the store forever". the only thing that should rotate in the gemstore are the %off sales/discounts

It might be technical reason too, considering how long it can take to update/refresh a section in web store and you will understand with all items that needs to be listed or at least downloaded before it can be displayed (or filtered), it might take too long time navigating in Gem Store the way this Gem Store have been organised. Web Server for showing items in Gem Store aren't the fastest as for response time and too often it feels sluggish.

@ShadowCatz.8437 said:

It might be technical reason too, considering how long it can take to update/refresh a section in web store and you will understand with all items that needs to be listed or at least downloaded before it can be displayed (or filtered), it might take too long time navigating in Gem Store the way this Gem Store have been organised. Web Server for showing items in Gem Store aren't the fastest as for response time and too often it feels sluggish.

this is an issue best talked about on a different topic, but yes they also need to change the way the gemstore works if they made everything available, all the time on it.

if they move away from having it web-based and instead having everything render (and list items) in-game without using a web portal, then they can potentially solve the issues people are having on the gemstore such as consistently loading into a blank page and having to clear the gw2 cache just to give it a chance to properly load (which you shouldn't have to do as an end-user / non-power user) --- and while this would work if they made it so everything is sold all the time, it will not work for their current item rotation sales model because they would have to push a minor patch each time the gemstore has to be updated/change what's available for sale.

I think it would be great if they had a webstore to buy things directly instead of having to buy gems first then turn around and use the gems for the item. Other games I play work this way, with both an in-game currency shop and a strictly cash shop on the outside.

True. Doubt "limited availability" works wonders in this case, seeing as people that want something from the store are already waiting for it to buy it. At this point, they probably buy it because they like how it looks or what it does and not because I can buy it just once every 3 months so it's so rare!

• Confused 1

@Sylvyn.4750 said:I think it would be great if they had a webstore to buy things directly instead of having to buy gems first then turn around and use the gems for the item. Other games I play work this way, with both an in-game currency shop and a strictly cash shop on the outside.

One of the reasons that you have to buy a currency first is so they can make more money by selling items at currency prices between what’s offered in the bundles. It costs $10 for 800 gems so they can just set the price to 900 gems for an item to get players to buy more gems than they would have otherwise.

• Like 1

@Doggie.3184 said:

@"Slowpokeking.8720" said:Some items only show up once for around 1 month or less and gone for the rest of the year, I don't think we should wait that long to spend out money, 3 months at most for the circle.

I don't even understand the dumb rotation thing. They're just digital items, what's the point of limiting them... Other games I play/spend money in store like Warframe, FFXIV and Path of Exile survive with their "Leave everything in the store forever" and remain some of the top money making games out there so the method clearly works and is less annoying. Then there's god awful games even worse with rotations like PSO2 that waste time designing an item just to sell it for 1 day out of the year and annoy their playerbase. Makes no sense. Don't be like PSO2's store, nothing should be :scream: Because of that I will never give them a cent.

There was an outfit I decided I finally wanted to buy in Gem Store recently but apparently it expired from store 6 days prior and hasn't been available for 2 years before it's return so I'll probably never see it again for ages and will have lost interest in it by that time. So their moment of them making cash off it from me is gone now.

Well it's simple, instead of a large burst of income one month then low income the next they take a medium income each month

If they displayed everything everyone would simply just put down 80 pound of gems buy everything they desire and stop putting money in.

Also it means alot of players will buy skins they initially wouldn't of bought because they look cool and they're after a outfit while they wait.

Because gw2 sells 0 power boosts or skips it's relying entirely on players slowly collecting the outfits etc etc.

It doesn't have anything that will garuntee sales month to month.

• 8 months later...

This is something that has been in my mind since I started out in guild wars 2.

Why does a digital, static shop omit most of its items and "rotate" items after a whole season or sometimes a whole year or 2.

I get it. Anet wants the needy approach, but it just shuns the game and puts away the interest of players. I for one, have lost interest in the gem store, because there's plenty of nice looks to make with regular items and these I get right away.

So I vouch for "seasonal items" i.e, it's easter- easter themed skins along with new release content. That'd be logical. But keeping items on hold for unknown time, just kills players' interest in buying them.

I'll tell you why this approach does not work. Anet wants us to "desire or wish" for items so that we may buy them, resulting in profit. But then again, if I desire an item, I'll buy it right away and be done with it, so what's the difference? The difference here is, that 1) I wanted an item, I bought it and I'm satisfied. And 2) there's no way to know when the item will be available, so I instantly lose interest, realize it's for the good "I should save my money, I'm glad its not available after all" and don't buy anything at the end. That's why this approach does not work.

You see, if I'm customizing a character,  I'll look for resources then and there, I won't wait for 6 months or a year to finish the looks.

Just make Everything available except for holidays and festivals items. You'll get more profit this way and you'll get to remove this big dent from your game. Just Ban Gem Store Rotation. Be smart.

Thank you.

Edited by GrimDanny.7039
Spaces between lines
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Some people still can't grasp how marketing works.

Unfortunatley.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could live in a world where we could buy the things that interest us and businesses could make a respectable profit providing them at a reasonable cost without all the shenanigans of playing on our animal instincts?

Ah well.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

There's definitely money I've not spent because of the rotation and I just seem to miss the window of the items being offered or on sale.

Maybe, someday, when the items come around again, I'll buy them and ANet will still get my money. But I know money now is always better than money someday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Well, the Devs did state that the Gem Store can't hold all the items, so there's that.

And yet we can go into our character wardrobe and see all the potential outfits, finishers, etc. that are available...they just need to add an option in the wardrobe to buy those items directly even if they aren't "featured" in the gem store.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2