This has got to be the most underrated MMO ever...why?

4 minutes ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

That term is a company name more commonly seen/used in Europe, not in North America, and was established in 1970.  The word airplane has existed since the late 19th century.  I think I have time on my side here...:)

I think you're missing the point entirely LOL

• Confused 1

On 6/7/2021 at 7:54 PM, Zoid.2568 said:

I have played ESO and FFXIV and both lacks in endgame content, FFXIV has not so great combat, ESO though has great combat. GW2 wins over both those games.

WOW has the best endgame content of that there is no doubt. People like to hate on it but honestly its all talk no substance, WoW has the best of everything just about except the sexy look. The style is different, but the gameplay is what counts to me, substance over  looks any day. Its why people have paid 15 dollars a month for years to play. Because for all the ballyhooing of wow it truly is a remarkable game to play, everything for everyone is true. Lots of endgame options, tons of exploration and questlines tied to all the lore and stories. I played for 14 years never missed a beat, if that game was not compelling and good me and millions of others would not have payed every month for years and years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

GW2 always makes me wonder if the developers understand what they actually got here.

Possibly best 5 player PVE mechanics ever, and they only keep developing unchallenging open world zergfests where you can't see characters through ability effects, or raids that are very casual compared to other MMOs and still completed only by a fraction of the playerbase, it's just mind boggling.

Anet even came up with group splitting mechanics years ago that I haven't seen in any other MMOs, like levers in different locations that must be pulled simultaneously and buttons that someone must press to let the rest of the party past an obstacle, sadly these ideas have been completely abandoned by now and haven't seen any use for the past 2 expansions.

It's crazy that fractals came out in 2012, that's 9~ years for total of 21 instances in the (afaik?) most played PVE mode in the whole game.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

On 6/2/2021 at 3:30 PM, Ayrilana.1396 said:

I’ve played ESO and FF14. GW2 isn’t that great compared to them. There are many elements about them which has helped those games flourish which GW2 lacks. 

I honestly don’t believe that there would be a GW3. I feel that this next expansion will determine the fate of the game/series. If they were to do a GW3, they’re better off doing something like GW1. They can’t handle doing something on the scale of an MMO. 

I really don't get what people see in FFXIV or ESO? ESO feels like it completely ripped off GW2 if anything ( wvw, similar node PvP, map design, dodge roll, public events, map completion. I could go on)  but has barely any classes and the combat feels clunky and weird. 

FFXIV, I got stuck for things to do after playing for 6 months and making 5 of that game's version legendaries. The way it takes skills away from you when you're doing old content as if you were that level was just unbearable. 

2 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

WOW has the best endgame content of that there is no doubt. People like to hate on it but honestly its all talk no substance, WoW has the best of everything just about except the sexy look. The style is different, but the gameplay is what counts to me, substance over  looks any day. Its why people have paid 15 dollars a month for years to play. Because for all the ballyhooing of wow it truly is a remarkable game to play, everything for everyone is true. Lots of endgame options, tons of exploration and questlines tied to all the lore and stories. I played for 14 years never missed a beat, if that game was not compelling and good me and millions of others would not have payed every month for years and years. 

I tried wow again for shadowlands and liked it at the start but then after a few weeks it was the same old crap. Do your dailies/weekly for gear from vault or ash for legendary. Grind mythics for hope of good drop. After I beat sire densthrius I just lost all interest in the game. The only good thing that game has goin for it anymore is warmode in open world. BGs were 24min wait for me as well during prime time. People moan about PvP balance in this game but blizzard literally make a couple of things beyond broken every couple of months.

8 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I disagree that it's underrated, it's usually in the top ten and sometimes in the 4th-5th spot, exactly where it should be. It's a great mmo, but not the best so...

Actually for many people here it is the best. I think this is better than WoW and Final Fantasy because I don't enjoy either of those games. If you came from those games, or games like them, you might indeed like them better, but for a whole lot of people, and we've seen this post again and again, those games fail to measure up, because some of us are looking for something different and we came here for that different thing. For people like me there are very few options. If I had to go to another MMO it would be ESO but the combat is just much better here.

When I came here I was looking for a game focused on the open world, that wasn't all about raiding and end game instances. I'm not alone in that. I came from an RPG background, not an MMO background and I wanted a world that feels alive. This world met the criteria and most other games don't have that.

It's not the best is a very leading statement. You don't like it the best. I do.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Seb De Tyra.3421 said:

I really don't get what people see in FFXIV or ESO? ESO feels like it completely ripped off GW2 if anything ( wvw, similar node PvP, map design, dodge roll, public events, map completion. I could go on)  but has barely any classes and the combat feels clunky and weird. 

FFXIV, I got stuck for things to do after playing for 6 months and making 5 of that game's version legendaries. The way it takes skills away from you when you're doing old content as if you were that level was just unbearable. 

GW2 was not the first game to have those concepts so you cannot simply claimed that they took them from it.  Not everyone wants to play what feels like an MMO on training wheels (imo). 

6 hours ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

I didn't play GW1, but unless that picked up at the tail end of the Guild Wars, then is the title of the game merely a reflection of a historical event rather than current events?

Well, yes. Of course, the reason why that specific event was picked for the title (and why that lore element even exists) was because originally the game was meant to be primarily PvP focused. It's just that this got changed somewhere very early during design. When the game launched, primary content already got switched to PvE. By the time GW2 came around, any meaning behind the title was long gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aside from the other things people have posted. This MMO is actually really grindy if you choose to engage it regularly & play efficiently at all. The content drops for just about any game mode are sparse enough that they easily become repetitive. In fact optimized play for both cash and/or legendary progression is VERY grindy.

The breadth of content could save it, but like I said, its design doesn't encourage breadth in play.

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 1

I find that point to be quite subjective, really.  I'm a very casual player.  I have multiple level 80s with a smattering of ascended gear.  I have all mounts unlocked with all masteries.  No legendary gear.  I play very efficiently for what I want to do in GW2 and it isn't "grindy" at all for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

GW2 was not the first game to have those concepts so you cannot simply claimed that they took them from it.  Not everyone wants to play what feels like an MMO on training wheels (imo). 

I don't feel like I'm playing an MMO on training wheels.  In fact, I don't feel like I'm playing an MMO. That is to say the feelings that I got playing other MMOs are different than the feelings I got playing this one.

Everyone that I know that plays WoW eventually ends up standing in a city waiting for their queue to pop. That's not what I signed on for.  It's not about difficulty it's about the type of content. WoW doesn't have the type of content I enjoy over all.  Following an arrow to a star to read a wall of text is training wheels to me.  Guess it's a matter of what you're looking for.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Talk about "all talk no substance". Just because you think it's the best thing ever doesn't mean others will agree with you, and the fact that they disagree with you doesn't mean they are wrong or that you are right. "Do raids or quit" isn't exactly for everyone, especially with the dog eat dog mentality of the playerbase. Don't need to do raids? Yeah, but with the focus on it you'll miss out on a lot.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Some times after playing GW2 I find myself frustrated and tense.  I great cure is to log onto FFXIV.  I can feel the frustration and tension draining from me as I play.  FFXIV has something magical and calming about it were GW2 tends to be full-on in your face.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Seb De Tyra.3421 said:

Lol what? Ff14 ripped off gw2, u serious, what people see in it, Again u serious? Ff14 is a completely different game mechanically and esthetics.

Pve is the biggest part in every mmo and what brings the population and ff14 pve literally destroys gw2 lmao, like their not even on the same level. The story in ff14 is amazing and gw2 story is meh and mind-numbing, ff14 has way better dungeons and raids. That's why ff14 population dwarfs gw2.

Only thing gw2 has over ff14 is pvp which is a very small group compared to pve and gw2 pvp keeps getting smaller and smaller as it community helps anet make its pvp more dumbed down and unfun to play..

Ur post makes me think uve never played ff14 or eso and are looking at gw2 through rose tinted glasses.

And to the above post regarding wow, huge chunks of that game's player base are jumping over to ff14 due to sad shallow state of content added, and the fact of how infrequent their being added. Last while all wow players do is complain how bad the game is currently.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Lol what? Ff14 ripped off gw2, u serious, what people see in it, Again u serious? Ff14 is a completely different game mechanically and esthetics.

Pve is the biggest part in every mmo and what brings the population and ff14 pve literally destroys gw2 lmao, like their not even on the same level. The story in ff14 is amazing and gw2 story is meh and mind-numbing, ff14 has way better dungeons and raids. That's why ff14 population dwarfs gw2.

Only thing gw2 has over ff14 is pvp which is a very small group compared to pve and gw2 pvp keeps getting smaller and smaller as it community helps anet make its pvp more dumbed down and unfun to play..

Ur post makes me think uve never played ff14 or eso and are looking at gw2 through rose tinted glasses.

Tried FF XIV PVE and thought it was poor enough that I couldn't even get through leveling. You may like it better, but that's just it. Your opinion. I think the PvE here is hands above what I saw of FF XIV. I didn't give it that much of a chance, because I found it so terrible though.

I don't love raiding and don't care much about dungeons, mostly because I dislike the trinity structure of most MMOs.  As for why FF XIV has more people, you could say it's the 14th installment of a game that has a loyal playerbase due to 13 other games and a movie to boot.  It's bigge rin Asia and it has a console version.  Of course it has more. That doesn't mean it's better.  Some very good TV shows aren't as good as others with a wide viewship. Shrugs.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Tried FF XIV PVE and thought it was poor enough that I couldn't even get through leveling. You may like it better, but that's just it. Your opinion. I think the PvE here is hands above what I saw of FF XIV. I didn't give it that much of a chance, because I found it so terrible though.

I don't love raiding and don't care much about dungeons, mostly because I dislike the trinity structure of most MMOs.  As for why FF XIV has more people, you could say it's the 14th installment of a game that has a loyal playerbase due to 13 other games and a movie to boot.  It's bigge rin Asia and it has a console version.  Of course it has more. That doesn't mean it's better.  Some very good TV shows aren't as good as others with a wide viewship. Shrugs.

Naw a lot of ur prob with with ff14 is probably from a realm reborn, the base game, which is a slog and boring fetch crap. This is a known issue to the point they even shortened it a bit but it's still a slog. When players say ff14 is amazing it's from heavensword on. Ff14 expacs are all highly acclaimed and have stories and pve on another lever from gw2 and other mmo's, that's why it's so popular and why a ton of wow players are jumping ship to it. Also because the general cd is 2.5 secs it seems super slow at beginning especially with fewer skills and without having the skills that don't run on general cds that u weave in between.

Once u get lv 50+ combat gets way faster and feels far better as u have skills to weave between the general cds etc. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I feel u never really experienced ff14's true game that makes it so popular because u didn't make it past the beginning slog.

41 minutes ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Naw a lot of ur prob with with ff14 is probably from a realm reborn, the base game, which is a slog and boring fetch crap. This is a known issue to the point they even shortened it a bit but it's still a slog. When players say ff14 is amazing it's from heavensword on. Ff14 expacs are all highly acclaimed and have stories and pve on another lever from gw2 and other mmo's, that's why it's so popular and why a ton of wow players are jumping ship to it. Also because the general cd is 2.5 secs it seems super slow at beginning especially with fewer skills and without having the skills that don't run on general cds that u weave in between.

Once u get lv 50+ combat gets way faster and feels far better as u have skills to weave between the general cds etc. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I feel u never really experienced ff14's true game that makes it so popular because u didn't make it past the beginning slog.

I don't want to play a game for 50 levels to like the combat though.  And I don't like the trinity or end game raiding, so what's the point anyway.  I simply don't like that game and that's fine. Doesn't change the fact that lots of people liking something doesn't make it the best. It just means lots of people like it. 

The trap of thinking I like something better so it is better is what I'm talking about. I like this game better but it's not better. I just like it better. Same for you and FF XIV. It's okay that we disagree. We're obviously looking for different things in a game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I played FF14 for almost 4 years with quite a few breaks inbetween and I always felt that the game is way too repetitive. Once an expansion drops, you know exactly which content which patch contains and if you should/should not upgrade your crafting gear etcetc. I cant say its not casual friendly cause it actually is once you are up to date with your questlog, you just do the daily dungeons and other stuff to cap your tomes out to buy max ilvl gear (not actually BiS, its usually a mix of raid/tome gear).

But the reason I came back to GW2 after like 8 years (I started playing it on launch but my pc couldnt handle fractals back then so I had to force drop the game cause I couldnt run them) is the juicy combat speed.

Dont get me wrong but I am used to fast paced combat (Tera Warrior for example) and FF14 made me a resident sleeper if I had to compare it to GW2. Thats probably why I love Weaver so much, its just such a fluid gameplay rotation to pull off.

Granted GW2 has other flaws (as does every mmo) but it being super casual friendly as there is no vertical gear progression has its plus sides. I assume it makes content harder to develop cause there might be no real incentive to do future raids or other stuff once you are full legendary, but I am sure Anet will come up with something once EoD drops (hopefully).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Different things for different people. Gw2 is way better when it comes to open world (in fact, i don;t think there's any MMORPG that has OW done equally well). Ff XIV on the other hands wins when it comes to instanced content. Also (imo) FF XIV story is way, way better. Although you probably didn't seen that, because, unfortunately, it starts poorly (and, although ARR has also its good moments, it also has its very, very very, bad ones. Horrifyingly bad ones). Still, even though i still do think overall story is done better in FF XIV, even in this there are few things in which GW2 wins (i.e. having your character voiced. It may seem a small thing, but it changes a lot).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Different things for different people. Gw2 is way better when it comes to open world (in fact, i don;t think there's any MMORPG that has OW done equally well). Ff XIV on the other hands wins when it comes to instanced content. Also (imo) FF XIV story is way, way better. Although you probably didn't seen that, because, unfortunately, it starts poorly (and, although ARR has also its good moments, it also has its very, very very, bad ones. Horrifyingly bad ones). Still, even though i still do think overall story is done better in FF XIV, even in this there are few things in which GW2 wins (i.e. having your character voiced. It may seem a small thing, but it changes a lot).

This is exactly  my point though. I've long waited for an MMO where the open world was meaningful. I'm not saying I don't occassionally enjoy instances (particularly fractals), but at the same time, the open world is more interesting to me, not because of difficulty or reward, but because I feel like I'm in a living breathing world. No other MMO gives that to me.

Is it perfect? Nah. There are event chains that repeat too often, NPCs that say the same things over and over again, etc. But at making a world feel alive, it's still better than any MMO I've played.

Edit: To be clear I wasn't saying Guild Wars 2 is better than FF XIV. I was only saying that it' s better for my play style. I find it better. I was responding to someone who claimed that FF XIV was better period, end of story.  I know that everyone has a different opinion it was my point in the first place.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

Some times after playing GW2 I find myself frustrated and tense.  I great cure is to log onto FFXIV.  I can feel the frustration and tension draining from me as I play.  FFXIV has something magical and calming about it were GW2 tends to be full-on in your face.

It's funny. I don't think I've ever played any MMO that hasn't left me frustrated or tense at some point. But it happens less with Guild Wars 2 than other MMOs for me.  Yep, MMOs can be very frustrating.

On 6/30/2021 at 11:06 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

Actually for many people here it is the best. I think this is better than WoW and Final Fantasy because I don't enjoy either of those games. If you came from those games, or games like them, you might indeed like them better, but for a whole lot of people, and we've seen this post again and again, those games fail to measure up, because some of us are looking for something different and we came here for that different thing. For people like me there are very few options. If I had to go to another MMO it would be ESO but the combat is just much better here.

When I came here I was looking for a game focused on the open world, that wasn't all about raiding and end game instances. I'm not alone in that. I came from an RPG background, not an MMO background and I wanted a world that feels alive. This world met the criteria and most other games don't have that.

It's not the best is a very leading statement. You don't like it the best. I do.

I've said it a million times, GW2 is so close to being unbeatable. To hold the MMO crown.  There just a few things holding it back, and they are few compared to problems with other MMO's.  If A-Net only had the manpower, cash and will to bring the game out into the light and stop ignoring the bloody obvious.

Look at the mounts in GW2.  I mean look at them.  They are kitten 100% perfect.  The guys that designed those mounts should be running the show.

Edited by Follyfoot.2803
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

I've said it a million times, GW2 is so close to being unbeatable. To hold the MMO crown.  There just a few things holding it back, and they are few compared to problems with other MMO's.  If A-Net only had the manpower, cash and will to bring the game out into the light and stop ignoring the bloody obvious.

Look at the mounts in GW2.  I mean look at them.  They are kitten 100% perfect.  The guys that designed those mounts should be running the show.

In creative projects there are often bigger picture guys and detail guys. Just because someone can create something extraordinary doesn't mean that same person can coordinate a whole game. That's just not how it works.  Some people write great short stories, but couldn't write a novel.   There's not one person at Anet there are dozens (hundreds actually) and those people may not all agree on the way forward in every case.   It's just not as easy as you make it sound.

• Like 2