This has got to be the most underrated MMO ever...why?

1 hour ago, Vayne.8563 said:

In creative projects there are often bigger picture guys and detail guys. Just because someone can create something extraordinary doesn't mean that same person can coordinate a whole game. That's just not how it works.  Some people write great short stories, but couldn't write a novel.   There's not one person at Anet there are dozens (hundreds actually) and those people may not all agree on the way forward in every case.   It's just not as easy as you make it sound.

True, but you can't deny that often they have the wrong person for the job, meaning the people responsible for the iffy parts of the game should seek other positions that are more their strong suit.  This would be down to the direction of the big chief, and as kitten rolls up hill, well, you get the picture.

5 hours ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

I've said it a million times, GW2 is so close to being unbeatable. To hold the MMO crown.  There just a few things holding it back, and they are few compared to problems with other MMO's.  If A-Net only had the manpower, cash and will to bring the game out into the light and stop ignoring the bloody obvious.

Look at the mounts in GW2.  I mean look at them.  They are kitten 100% perfect.  The guys that designed those mounts should be running the show.

Well considering that the other MMOs are performing significantly better despite having more problems according to your post….

On 7/1/2021 at 1:43 PM, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Lol what? Ff14 ripped off gw2, u serious, what people see in it, Again u serious? Ff14 is a completely different game mechanically and esthetics.

Pve is the biggest part in every mmo and what brings the population and ff14 pve literally destroys gw2 lmao, like their not even on the same level. The story in ff14 is amazing and gw2 story is meh and mind-numbing, ff14 has way better dungeons and raids. That's why ff14 population dwarfs gw2.

Only thing gw2 has over ff14 is pvp which is a very small group compared to pve and gw2 pvp keeps getting smaller and smaller as it community helps anet make its pvp more dumbed down and unfun to play..

Ur post makes me think uve never played ff14 or eso and are looking at gw2 through rose tinted glasses.

And to the above post regarding wow, huge chunks of that game's player base are jumping over to ff14 due to sad shallow state of content added, and the fact of how infrequent their being added. Last while all wow players do is complain how bad the game is currently.

I said ESO ripped off GW2 not FFXIV. Read my post properly please. 

I played FFXIV for 6 months. Doing story mode to get up to the current story made me close to suicidal. You're (Ur?) forced to do it for some reason and it takes forever, the most monotonous thing I've had to do in any MMO and that's saying something. Travel a million miles to somewhere, talk to someone , travel a million miles somewhere else. Talk to someone again zzzzz

The combat effects looks cool but is dull. Global cd is crazy long because they made it with consoles in mind and you have a couple of off cd spells here and there. 

The only thing I liked about the game was playing Eureka from the previous expansion. I cleared all of the story mode in new expansion, did all the maps, beaten the fairy queen on highest difficulty and gotten my weapon from her so all I was left with were dailies or queuing for old bosses for mounts. But when I killed the massive ball boss at the end of Eureka and got the ball mount there was no reason to play that anymore either. 

So yes I played FFXIV and 90% of the game bored me to tears. Eureka was awesome though best thing about that game by a mile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

Well considering that the other MMOs are performing significantly better despite having more problems according to your post….

I suppose you could read it that way.  I will attempt to clarify.  Even though numbers wise most other MMO's have more problems than GW2,  A wide range of problems.  However GW2 problems maybe less but are a lot more prominent and destructive to game play or the enjoyment of the game.  Not only that but the problems are mainly home made hard decisions.  Haha! Were I expect most of the problems with other MMO's was the lack of hard decisions.

The problems with other MMO's are weak and basically just create a slightly more boring experience than they should.

Do you get where I'm going? 

Edited by Follyfoot.2803

1 hour ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

I suppose you could read it that way.  I will attempt to clarify.  Even though numbers wise most other MMO's have more problems than GW2,  A wide range of problems.  However GW2 problems maybe less but are a lot more prominent and destructive to game play or the enjoyment of the game.  Not only that but the problems are mainly home made hard decisions.  Haha! Were I expect most of the problems with other MMO's was the lack of hard decisions.

The problems with other MMO's are weak and basically just create a slightly more boring experience than they should.

Do you get where I'm going? 

Thank you for adding clarification to your post.

I personally disagree that there’s anything that can be done to GW2 to have it overtake WoW, FF14, or ESO. That ship sailed with the decisions they made prior to the game launching and the choices they continued to make after. 

The way GW2 is handled is why it's not rated highly. It's not underrated, it's simply subpar.

1. Lack of challenging content.
  2. Lack of content updates.
  3. Decision to "Not make expansions" and trying to pass off patches as "expansion level content" giving the game a huge content drought and hurting it until they eventually remember why this is a  mistake and then start an expansion years later, when it's already too late so we end up with HUGE content droughts. We thought they gave up on this idea after LS1, but now they tried it again with Icebrood Saga and it as a failure, again.
  4. Balance team that does not understand the game, they remove build diversity instead of adding it CONSTANTLY.
  5. Abandoning content and generally leaving it unfinished: 
    1. Raids
    2. Dungeons
    3. Edge of the Mists
    4. Stronghold
    5. WvW
    6. Super Adventure Box
    7. Guild Halls
  •  
Edited by Shiyo.3578
  • Like 2

I feel like the whole which is the best mmo is a pretty silly (for not using a harsher word) endeavor.

An mmo is so broad that their will always be things which you dislike, and things you like. We can speak about which mmos are more popular, but not really about which is better. 

Me personally i play multiple mmos because they all hit different itches for different moments, and that seems better then wanting a specific mmo to be the perfect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

I feel like the whole which is the best mmo is a pretty silly (for not using a harsher word) endeavor.

An mmo is so broad that their will always be things which you dislike, and things you like. We can speak about which mmos are more popular, but not really about which is better. 

Me personally i play multiple mmos because they all hit different itches for different moments, and that seems better then wanting a specific mmo to be the perfect.

People like to trash-talk :).

1 hour ago, yann.1946 said:

Yeah, I like all my MMO's for different reasons, or whatever satisfies the mood.  I think what we are discussing here is maybe the MMO you spend the most time in would obviously be your favourite, so you would refer to it as the best, but discussions of which is the best will never end up in agreement.

Personally I spend the most time in GW2 with FFXIV being a close second.  Teso is the odd monthly burst.  I play a lot of the others but they don't really stick for very long.

Edited by Follyfoot.2803

It's actually 10th on the list of the most played MMOs (I also remember 8th, maybe it depends on whether you put both versions of WoW and Runescape together).

source: https://mmo-population.com/top/2021

https://pelegit.co.il/top-10-most-played-mmorpgs-of-2021-best-mmorpgs-to-play/

I don't know why, I'm not an analyst :/

As weird as it might seem for us, there are people who actually like to farm (many of my colleagues). WoW is localised in many languages, this could also be a reason, and FFXIV is sold everywhere, while GW2 is basically unknown in Asia (I've read it only has 3k active players in China? not sure if it's true).

But I hope ArenaNet will keep making a profit from GW2. They have been smart to find this target of players and apparently other companies are not fighting over to have us :)

10 hours ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

True, but you can't deny that often they have the wrong person for the job, meaning the people responsible for the iffy parts of the game should seek other positions that are more their strong suit.  This would be down to the direction of the big chief, and as kitten rolls up hill, well, you get the picture.

You just don't know who the wrong or right person for the job will be though. That's the problem with creative projects in general. I know this from first hand experience, having worked in a creative industry (publishing). You have a bunch of people with ideas. You put someone forward who has great ideas. A vision. But having a vision is not the same thing as executing it. Sometimes what you picture isn't what happens. Time and budget constraints rear their ugly head. This happens so often in MMOs it's amazing people still think it's easy to see who the right person is. It's not. Sometimes that you believe to be a sure fire right person turns out to be a disaster. Sometimes someone without experience or knowledge turns out to be wonderful in a position they never held. It's just not that easy.  

Did Anet kitten up a bunch of stuff over the years?  Sure they did. But they didn't lauch a game so bad like Final Fantasy XIV that they had to basically close it down and relaunch it. They didn't put out an update that killed the game like Star Wars Galaxies. Every MMO has made choices that people who play the game have hated.  Ask the WoW Wrath babies and the guys who came before them.   The game changed and people left in droves. WoW once had 12.4 million players and they stopped reporting player numbers when the dropped below 4 million. 

Does that mean the wrong people lead WoW? The thing people don't seem to get is this is a very successful game, standing against a whole lot of competition from bigger companies, companies with console versions, companies that have a strong Asian presence. And this game is still doing very well by western standards. Much better than most people guess or could have hoped. It's hard to make a successful MMO and this is undeniably a successful MMO.

Did they hire the wrong guy? How can you be sure the guy you thought was the right guy would have done better?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

Sometimes MMOs perform better because they reach a wider audience having little to do with the game itself.  Asia has a bigger MMO playing population than the West does. It has for years. If you start off in Asia, appealing to that audience, you'll have a stronger MMO, despite the fact that it might not catch on in the West.  This is what happened with Lineage, NcSoft's number 1 game at the time. It was strong, they opened a Western version of Lineage and it failed, because Western audiences have difference sensibilities than Eastern ones.

I've been told, and I don't know that it's true, so it might not be, that Eastern MMOs tend to be pay to win because it's expected by people who play them and they're okay with it, at least most people are. In the West that's not the case. So an Eastern MMO could do better by that alone. Take Blade and Soul which is a pay to win game. Doesn't do well in the West, but it's still popular in the East, where they have more MMO players.

Suppose you designed an MMO for computer only and suddenly consoles have really taken off.  Now you have a game that doesn't translate well to console. Obviously a console game that's also on computer has a larger audience that can buy in...but it doesn't speak to decisions or the quality of the game.

All MMOs have snafus. Every one of them. If you're playing this one, you know these snafus more intimately but I assure you I've heard similar comments to yours about almost every MMO. Even WoW, arguably the most popular MMO of all time have lost people in droves after certain expansions.

It's just too complex an equation to make a simple answer. I don't care that some games have more players because they're more people in the East. What I'd like to see (and what I can't) is a breakdown of how each of the major MMOs are doing in the West. I strong suspect Guild Wars 2 is doing better than  you think, which is why today's announcements were made.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Not really when it's literally 1 out of like 3 MMOs worth playing at all in 2021. Everything else is Korean, making them automatically bad games, or stolen copyrights in China. GW2's certainly never going to beat FFXIV though, especually in FFXIV's fashion dept and their ability to cater to both genders and more than one race; instead of just female humans. 

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 5:44 PM, CokerOne.6179 said:

I played this this briefly when it launched and decided to try it again a couple weeks ago.

I can't believe how good this game really is now that I have given it an honest try and it's left me really surprised.

I heard on a video I was watching that it's number 8 of most played MMOs right now.  That seems crazy to me.

So what is it that keeps this game so low on the list?  That is if it really is #8....

Also is there confirmation on a guild wars 3 in development?

Do you wanna know why? Because the game keeps the players up until the very best part and then makes them quit.
It's so easy and cheap to get exotics, ascended gear offers such low upgrade to your character that you should not even bother.
It's been tested all over YT, now legendaries? ALL this effort to get them to have stats as ascended... but with better look? PUKE

Personally me and my friends ( we are 7 people ) all quitted for the same reason after a big discussion for the future and the time we must invest for gain only looks. There is no reason to spend all this time of your life to get such little upgrade. Imagine going 80 with exotics and be comparable in dps with a full legendary. Now compare this slight difference with the time both players invested. PUKE
ArenaNet will never get it TIME = REWARD
Took them so many years to listen to community about mounts and so many issues that have been in this forum for ages.

If they decide to scale gear and time invested/reward scenario, yes this will be hands down the best game I've ever played
( played all the MMORPGs up to endgame)

If only they would do ascended gear more attractive so you WANT and NEED to invest time and legendaries with increased stats, no one would stop playing. If you could somehow made a poll from all players who quit until now, my opinion will be the top % wise. I've been coming and leaving to this game since its launch, been in discord servers from guilds and have discussed a lot. This point above was the most mentioned and personally the one that made us quit for good

Edited by Bloodangel.4938

The real reason is this game requires skill to play and a different mindset. In most MMOs, you stand still and hope your armor, hit points, and a healer can handle the damage. In this game, your best defense is not to get hit. Many MMO players aren’t used to that, and they dislike it as well.

Again, a different mindset of playing.

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590
  • Like 4

On 6/9/2021 at 12:12 AM, Rukia.4802 said:

GW2 didn't launch with any end game even by GW1 standards, a forced-esports single pvp mode and zerg battles in WvW with some severely limited builds in all modes. It wasn't nearly as good of a game as it is now. If GW2 launched today it would have destroyed the competition, but they chose to focus on stupid crap and slowly develop into a complete MMO over 8-9 years later. I suspect the game will only get better over time, unlike WoW which gets worse over time and more people branch out. This is the first time where multiple top-tier MMOs are consecutively popular and well designed and people actually have options. I've tried them all but always gravitate back towards GW2 because broadly its just better in most aspects except story. Expansions help get new blood but marketing is completely awful from this company and refuse to hire a cinematics department.

Correct I have too picked up comments that people are leaving WoW world. Also I agree GW2 is under rated. I feel the fun only comes after the game when you are fully free to explore and develop as you please. So not sure if people rating it have the time, patience to get to the end game.

For other games I mostly get done and pass on. Not for GW2. I find myself working for ascended gears, adding new characters testing them, testing different builds, working for skins. Many more. I even like the guild support, guild missions, how each guild hall is different. The general feeling of interacting with a whole community. GW2 offers the end game that is unlike other games. For some reasons I hated their sandboxed story mode. But I enjoyed going into the PvP to test out my skills. Checking out the gemstore once in a while to see whats new. Playing the festives to gain the rewards. Even going into WvW to earn pips. All these are consider end game to me. Having those discords, active guilds, community engagement does help. I am not sure the other games have that as compared with Anet. 

Absolutely agree Anet could use cinematics department. If there ever is a GW3 in the pipeline, I only wish for Anet to revamp format of their story telling, to be a more immersive experience for gamers. 

A point to make. I don't know why I only found this game this late. Where I could be gaming GW2 say 5-6 years back? I could just imagine my inventory by now and number of anniversaries (birthday gifts) missed. 

Edited by medivh.4725
  • Like 1

the people i know IRL quited cause pve was stupidly easy, and pvp was to much gimmick burst  and spikes  they all got bored easilly.

they tried Livin story together efrom the start... mobs died with 1 or 2 hits so most ended whacking air and pixels, i stoped playing with them as well cause felt i was a bot there taking part of the fun out .. or what was left of it....

they did dungeons until they learned its useless content

they did some raids until they notice was just for some useless rewards

they told me theres no point of playing a useless rewards game speciall a game where players are super carried with damage output.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

8 minutes ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

Sounds like a simple case of different people like different things 😉 .

Some bosses on gw2 have decent mechanics or at least they are more towards how bosses work in FFiV, rare but gw2 has some.

Would be interesting to see a QoL on bosses in this game tho.

note: if i recall  the giant marionete  is a good boss with some team puzzleling during its fight.

27 minutes ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

Something I realised a while back is that I have never enjoy a boss fight in GW2, yet I love them in FFXIV and WOW.

What's your take on this?

Most gw2 bosses feel like BOSS.gif with lots of health, nothing more...... very good  animations but that's it...just animations and nothing else.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

12 hours ago, Bloodangel.4938 said:

Personally me and my friends ( we are 7 people ) all quitted for the same reason after a big discussion for the future and the time we must invest for gain only looks. There is no reason to spend all this time of your life to get such little upgrade. Imagine going 80 with exotics and be comparable in dps with a full legendary. Now compare this slight difference with the time both players invested. PUKE

If they decide to scale gear and time invested/reward scenario, yes this will be hands down the best game I've ever played
( played all the MMORPGs up to endgame)

Maybe you (and your 6 friends) are 're not the target audience for GW2?  I'm not trying to be insulting, but not everything is created for everyone.  What makes GW2 unique among other MMOs, in my opinion, is the very lack of vertical progression that you advocate.  That keeps a lot of players that I know from leaving for other games.

• Like 4

This game is good, but it's not made to catter to everyone. For example people that like new gear updates every few months will not like it, while people who don't like gear upgrades will like it. People who want bosses who 1 shot all the team members if you make 1 mistake, will not like this game. Then they will say the game "has no challenge", while others like me prefer not dying constantly for dozens of times only to learn how to defeat a boss.

It's just a matter of different people liking different things and not understanding that an MMO isn't bad just because it doesn't have everything they want in it. Not every game needs to appeal to everyone. If an MMO appeal to some people, then other people will be left out. We must take this in consideration. If Guild Wars 2 isn't appealing for someone, that person should find another MMO that is suitable for them. This is also the reason why the game isn't ranking higher. Many people want games that have gear that make you overpowered and Dark Souls-type boss fights. Those people are playing other games. Those that want to be in a chill environment, play Guild Wars 2.

• Like 4