How many race change tokens would you buy?

How many race change tokens would you buy?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If they cost 500 gems each and each one changed 1 character

• None
    • One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven
    • Eight
    • Nine
    • Ten
    • More than Ten

As far as I know this is not planned, last time I heard Anet said it wasn't possible. But this has come up in the topic about why they should make it possible, and I wanted to find out.

If, hypothetically, Anet started selling race change tokens in the gem store for 500 gems each (slightly more than the cost of a total makeover kit) and using one let you change the character you're logged into to a different race (choosing their appearance of course) how many do you think you'd buy?

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

18 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

If a new race was released, I would want to experience their story from the beginning.

Also, I imagine a race change token would be at least double that, if not 2000 gems.

I'm not sure how much it would cost, but I didn't want to try to get into that here and thought guessing too high might put people off, so I went for what seemed like a safe bet.

Zero.  I have two or more of all the races, and occasionally buy a character slot mostly to play with a new theme I have in mind or to use a pun-tastic name that I just have to have.

Seems like some on this board are obsessed with race change in GW2, and I don't mean that sarcastically or negatively.  But let it go; get a new character slot, especially when it's on sale!

• Like 3

I don't think I'd buy a race change either. They'd be a completely different character to me and it would seem strange to just carry on the story and things from the point the previous 'version' left off. I'd rather buy a new character slot or delete and remake the character, especially since most things in this game are account bound and I always have enough tomes of knowledge to instantly level at least one character so it would just be hero points for elite specs I'd need to get again, and I suppose unlocking useful waypoints.

I actually did change around couple of my characters once. For various reasons I deleted a norn revenant and re-made him as a necromancer, deleted an asuran necromancer and re-made him as an engineer and made a new charr revenant. Even then I don't think I'd have used them because I wanted to play the new characters from the start.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

Zero.  I have two or more of all the races, and occasionally buy a character slot mostly to play with a new theme I have in mind or to use a pun-tastic name that I just have to have.

Seems like some on this board are obsessed with race change in GW2, and I don't mean that sarcastically or negatively.  But let it go; get a new character slot, especially when it's on sale!

My problem with that is having to do the HP on a new character, or just levelling it up, if not boosting, which is also gems. But, it's not the end of the world, just something I would spend money on 🙂 I can't, so I make do.

3 minutes ago, Dithnir.4593 said:

My problem with that is having to do the HP on a new character, or just levelling it up, if not boosting, which is also gems. But, it's not the end of the world, just something I would spend money on 🙂 I can't, so I make do.

Veterans would just use 79 tomes and enough Testimonies of Heroics to get their hero points. A new character can be up to speed in no time.

• Like 5

I'd probably buy anywhere from 6-10 over time. Almost everyone I know has a character on their roster that they introduce as 'and this one is my oldest, but I don't play them anymore; I just keep them for the birthday gifts'. GW2 ties a lot of things to individual character progress, so this would just be one more QoL option for people willing to shell out. +1 to the idea of profession change kits as well.

Transmutation charges are a great example of a "low value" QoL that is currently available in the shop. Do a lot of people buy them? I doubt it, given how many you can get just through casual gameplay. Do people like them and do they generate some moolah for ArenaNet? Absolutely.

• Like 1

None. I specifically planned ahead. In GW2 it is as in most other MMORPGs: Only the wiki has good information that gets updated when the game gets updates and the main website only offers some rough info.

My main plan was to play 1 of each profession. First 5 that I wanted to play most were male. The others female. Then I took the 5 races in order if preference for the male ones. (Human, Norn, Asura, Sylvari, Charr.) Then for the female ones the same. (I have only 1 charr character.)

No race change needed. Besides: It would mean trouble since the personal core story is tied to this - and jour journal and stuff.

I chose two for the following:

I have 2 Charr toons I never play because I don’t like the Charr animations.  At 500 gems to change race this would be an absolute steal of a deal, incredibly good value when compared to hair and appearance changes, name changes, adding character slots, lvl 80 boost. 

Now if this were at a more expected cost, say 2000 gems I would never buy it. Even at 1000 gems I would be hard pressed to buy it.  

10 hours ago, Dreamy Lu.3865 said:

None for me. Each of my char is a personality associated with race & class. Even if it would be possible with tokens, if I want to change race and/or class, then it's a different "person", so I rather create new. 🙂

This. Each of my characters is a complex creation. Changing race would thus necessitate changing other things to match, in which case a simpler solution would be to just make a new character.

Level 80, gearing up and enough HPs  to unlock especs are not a problem. I have enough tomes/birthday scrolls in my bank to make leveling not an issue, and enough spare gear to also not have to worry about. I also have enough testimonies to unlock enough hero points, but in this case i'd probably just do a run through all the easy HPs in HoT and PoF. Done that several times already, never had any issue with it. Doesn't take long either.