Bikini armor plz its summer now

3 hours ago, Beleron.9347 said:

The cynic in me wonders why ANet hasn't already given (or rather, tried to sell) us these, given the supremacy of fanservice. And let's face it: anyone who claims to want a chainmail bikini for any reason other than to ogle their toons is being disingenuous at best. 

I think this is a point that needs clarifying: is this topic asking for something that looks like you could comfortably swim in it and is only armour in the sense that it's seperate skins which cost transmutation charges to apply to your armour, as opposed to an outfit? Or are we asking for something that's supposed to be armour - looks like it's made of metal or leather or whatever - but covers about as much as a bikini?

I think there's a big difference between those two requests and I definitely had the first one in mind. If only because we've already got quite a few armour skins which don't cover much, although I think medium and light armoured male characters could still use more options for shorts and sleeveless shirts rather than ones with one sleeve missing or 1/2 missing.

(Also if I wanted to ogle my weaver I'd just put him in the elonian elementalist costume, which he does sometimes wear, but mainly because he actually is an elementalist and his family is from Elona. With my other characters it wouldn't ever come up because they're either not human or female or both.)

1 hour ago, PhantomGoddess.5174 said:

Honestly, I think that the elonian elementalist outfit is the closest thing we'll get to any kind of bikini anything we're going to get...

I suppose that's ok if you're just looking for revealing clothing, but when I saw this topic I assumed it was about actual swimwear (otherwise why does it matter if it's summer?) and that outfit would be horrible to swim in. Even the female version has those tassles that would get tangled round your legs or caught on things in the water.

Incidentally can anyone find the fan art designs someone did a couple of years ago for GW2 swimwear? I've been looking but I can't remember the artists name and nothing comes up in general searches, but I remember there were some great designs that combined GW2 aesthetics with real-world modern swimwear and I was one of several people very disappointed when Anet shared it on social media then didn't do anything with it.

• Like 3

Much prefer it to be armor skins than an outfit (even though knowing Anet, it would be an outfit cause they don't like making armor skins(chest and legs)). Only reason is cause I have sunglasses and sandals that I want to wear with it. If it's an outfit, I can't wear those with it.

Edited by SpyderArachnid.5619
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Don't forget that anyone can at any time remove their character's armour and have them running around in their underwear (which already doubles as swimwear in certain situations), especially in towns where you know you're not going to get attacked so you don't need the armour anyway.

Adding (more) swimwear options wouldn't be allowing more revealing clothing than is already possible, it would just be more variety.

In some cases it could actually be less revealing, for example I'd like a one-piece swimsuit with a higher neck line for my human female character, rather than bright yellow bra and underpants.

I already said its not the fact that its revealing.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I already said its not the fact that its revealing.

What is the problem then?

It's possible to swim in this game. What's wrong with wanting your character to be appropriately dressed for the activity they're doing?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The problem with seasonal outfits is that questionable companies use them for questionable practices: they go out of style once the season is over, so you have to buy more armor, which also goes out of style once that armor's season is over. So I'm not down with armor that only lasts 2 months.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

What is the problem then?

It's possible to swim in this game. What's wrong with wanting your character to be appropriately dressed for the activity they're doing?

More or less, this ↓ 

6 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

The problem with seasonal outfits is that questionable companies use them for questionable practices: they go out of style once the season is over, so you have to buy more armor, which also goes out of style once that armor's season is over. So I'm not down with armor that only lasts 2 months.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Please. God. No.

I generally don't mind most revealing or salacious armors (for both genders) but actual swimsuit armor is a step too far into Korean/Anime MMO aesthetics than I'd like.  Particularly with what some of you want.

I think the world immersive potential is already so hindered by the present glamour options that bikini will not do any more harm.

I mean you can play the dragon-slaying commander as an character wearing a hoodie with cat ears, shooting unicorns from the bow and wearing plushy back pack. At this point anything goes I guess.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

I guess I see it differently. It doesn't matter to me if Anet only promotes it for a short time because once you've got a skin or an outfit in your wardrobe it's there forever and you can use it as much (or as little) as you want, whenever you want. They won't even wear out and need to be replaced like real life clothes.

I like using the Winter Monarch Outfit as general purpose formal wear. It doesn't matter that it's only sold around Christmas, because once I've got it I can use it whenever I want to. It would be the same with a swimsuit.

I do swap my armour skins around periodically, for a variety of reasons, but even if I only use one for a short time when I first get it I don't mind, because I know I'll come back to it sooner or later and once I've got it unlocked all it will cost me to swap to it is transmutation charges.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Please. God. No.

I generally don't mind most revealing or salacious armors (for both genders) but actual swimsuit armor is a step too far into Korean/Anime MMO aesthetics than I'd like.  Particularly with what some of you want.

Funny you mention that since GW2 is by far the most Korean influenced of these big mmorpgs we have (not counting Korean ones) 

• Like 2

Just a note to the 'Id rather they spent resources elsewhere' gang.
This content is already in the game, its been made, all they have to do is acivate it.
https://twitter.com/that_shaman/status/1401641156577005570

You not heard of boxingday dip? Going swimming can be an all year thing! Especially when you look at how the world is with a north and a south.

Edited by Smoosh.2718
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Biermeister.4678 said:

Yes a Bikini with a Butt Cape and a high collar neck or a nice One Piece with a Butt Cape and High collar for the neck and if they do the bikini with the butt cape they need to make sure the butt cape stick out like a tail 

Don't forget huge shoulder pieces, too!  Ones that stick waaaay out in the shape of lightning bolts or such.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I'll never understand some of the wacky design choices.

We get fantastic armour ruined by some silly design choice to add in pretruding uneven crystals dotted around the chest peice.
Or even over sized gloves the size of the sahara desert which don't blend with short sleave armours due ot their bulkiness.

If a swimming costume is to be a thing, then I do hope its released as armour parts, allowing the user to select which parts they use (shoes would have to be some sort of sandal, you're not getting invisible shoes for free!) Why armour parts? simple really, flexibility in design choice by the player rather than a predetermined look designed by someone else with bulky shoulder armour tacked on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Smoosh.2718 said:

I'll never understand some of the wacky design choices.

We get fantastic armour ruined by some silly design choice to add in pretruding uneven crystals dotted around the chest peice.
Or even over sized gloves the size of the sahara desert which don't blend with short sleave armours due ot their bulkiness.

If a swimming costume is to be a thing, then I do hope its released as armour parts, allowing the user to select which parts they use (shoes would have to be some sort of sandal, you're not getting invisible shoes for free!) Why armour parts? simple really, flexibility in design choice by the player rather than a predetermined look designed by someone else with bulky shoulder armour tacked on.

If they make it armour pieces I was imagining just a chest piece and legs. I agree sandals would be a nice addition (especially since then they could be used with other armour) but what would go in the other slots?

Maybe a snorkle for a head piece? Or a land version of the existing aquabreathers. Hands I suppose could be some sort of bracelet, but I'm really not sure about shoulders.

• Like 1

I would love to see the swimming googles implemented as a toy, complete with costume brawl skills and the ability to do those stunts mid-air as you plummet towards water or even towards ground and certain death. That way you don't get people fighting dragons in literally just bikinis and swimtrunks but still gives an option to dress down for roleplay and fun social events similar to the Quaggan and Choya tonic runs.

• Like 1

I'm all for this.

As long as males don't get censored AGAIN as is Anet's habit in the last few years. Pharaoh's outfit for example... why the chest cover for males Anet? Huh? "Think of the children" is probably their official reply. Whatever.

Anywho what I wanted to mention is about the Pharaoh outfit. After preliminary... "research" I think the underwear for this outfit is Faren's swimsuit and not the usual granny panties Anet gives males. So... progress?

PS: Anet will see this, mass hysteria will ensue in office... and next week the outfit will be changed to have the granny panties (for males anyway). Must think of the children. 😋

Edited by Gaesesagai.9421
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1