Dear Devs: *More* Large-Scale Threats

People have been voicing their complaints to the develepors since Kralkatorrik: they want less world-ending threats. Instead, they want to overcome more everyday problems, such as those present in early Personal Story. DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM. They are the vocal minority; people who enjoy the larger-scale threats are enjoying the game instead of posting on social media.

Why more bigger bads? Well, it's simple: they are exciting. While resolving a bar fight dispute might be fun for a little bit, you can do things like that in real life. We play video games to escape. Dragons? Can't get that in real life. Former gods? Only in Guild Wars 2. So please, when you are done with dragons, keep giving us more large-scale threats -- don't resort to small fry carnival problems.

Edited by Mortifera.6138
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Porque no los dos?

If they can find a way to alternate between big bads, little bads, and medium bads (without cutting heaps of lore/content), that'd be my ideal outcome. I like a wide variety of challenges facing characters in a story, because too much of any singular element in a plot will suck the life out of it. Gimme a sliding scale of things for the commander to have anxiety about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Just now, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Porque no los dos?

If they can find a way to alternate between big bads, little bads, and medium bads (without cutting heaps of lore/content), that'd be my ideal outcome. I like a wide variety of challenges facing characters in a story, because too much of any singular element in a plot will suck the life out of it. Gimme a sliding scale of things for the commander to have anxiety about.

FFXIV does this, where you have smaller political problems and an overarching world-ending problem, but it just makes the smaller stuff look like filler to the larger stuff.

I'm all in for large-scale threats. Some smaller ones can exist too, but only if the main focus are still the larger threats. Look at Living World Season 3, we had the White Mantle and Caudecus, which well, weren't a global scale threat, but still big enough to be a threat for Divinity's Reach. That didn't ruin the overall story, we still got to fight Caudecus, stopped the White Mantle, out of which several left to work under "Lazarus" ' s leadership and like that, it was partially tied with the larger threat of the season.

I think we can have both, if ArenaNet knows how to play it well. If they don't know how, then I'd rather have just the larger threats that are dangerous to a continent/planet.

OP:Those people that are asking for things i do not like are a vocal minority. Do not listen to them. Listen to me only. I am not a vocal minority (because i am me).

That's some major arguments you're bringing up here. It totally persuaded me that you're the only one that knows the truth...

...oh wait, it didn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

People have been voicing their complaints to the develepors since Kralkatorrik: they want less world-ending threats. Instead, they want to overcome more everyday problems, such as those present in early Personal Story. DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM. They are the vocal minority; people who enjoy the larger-scale threats are enjoying the game instead of posting on social media.

Why more bigger bads? Well, it's simple: they are exciting. While resolving a bar fight dispute might be fun for a little bit, you can do things like that in real life. We play video games to escape. Dragons? Can't get that in real life. Former gods? Only in Guild Wars 2. So please, when you are done with dragons, keep giving us more large-scale threats -- don't resort to small fry carnival problems.

More humane characters are more relatable, take bangar for example or joko. Both were Very human and were loved because of it; I don't want them to drop the big threats. But handle them better than jorma and primo who were two of the only things outside of joko I was on this ride for. All of which were handled horribly~

There can be large threats without being cosmic level world ending stuff. ( You just know they can't win if the result is "the end of all things" because ..  you know, the game must go on. ). More ...dare I say, mundane threats, have more potential for interesting antagonists ( I did not say villain but it could be one or not ). The poster above has a point, humane characters are more relatable. As such Bangar was liked and Scarlet was not.

All that being said, I'm the *censored* pact commander, don't you dare have me collect ten bear kitten !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I vastly prefer alternating between large threats and smaller ones as it's easy to overlook what's going on at the micro level when everything is focusing on the macro and, with it being a video game, it's impossible to actually look at the micro level unless it's in-game or there's tie-in material, something GW2 doesn't do anymore.

Plus if everything is the Biggest Threat Ever™, that's how you end up with something that goes from people saving their village to saving the world to saving the universe to saving the multiverse in just as many seasons. The forever escalating threat is something people have been complaining about in media for decades because it's rarely done well and often becomes unrealistic (and the audience ends up exhausted or otherwise disconnected from it over time).

My only complaint with the micro level threats in GW2 is that so many of them ended up focusing on humans at first (likely due to a lot of it being tied to GW1's story). It's gotten more balanced over time, thankfully, but I'd rather see what happens with the charr civil war, for example, than Big Bad Threat #7 showing up only to be forgotten about when Big Bad Threat #8 appears.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Zephire.8049 said:

Plus if everything is the Biggest Threat Ever™, that's how you end up with something that goes from people saving their village to saving the world to saving the universe to saving the multiverse in just as many seasons. The forever escalating threat is something people have been complaining about in media for decades because it's rarely done well and often becomes unrealistic (and the audience ends up exhausted or otherwise disconnected from it over time).

Exactly, I mean if you look a the latest expansion for a concurrent product that apparently cannot be named on this forum ( lol ), they are literally out there saving the afterlife... and no one I've spoken to could care less. The disconnect is real.

43 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I think the Devs have the story, more or less, planned out for the next 5 years or so.

Probably won't be changing it for a lone 'vocal majority' voice.  🤷‍♂️

I don't believe anything past s4 was planned. I think whatever comes next will be something that was hobbled together to sell this expansion, and whatever comes next will be well... winging it.

I like how a lot of the events are multi-part events like the Djinn event in Sandswept Islands. It's fun to see more and more people joining in as the event unfolds, until a literal army shows up to beat on the Djinn. Events like this allow people to start chipping at them in small groups and then join together for the main event. Auric Basin, if taken as a single event, is another multi-parter. These are lots of fun and I think if we saw more events like this, of all sizes, it would make the game even more fun.

3 hours ago, Thornwolf.9721 said:

I don't believe anything past s4 was planned. I think whatever comes next will be something that was hobbled together to sell this expansion, and whatever comes next will be well... winging it.

Are you saying tengu in this post? winging 😂

On 6/7/2021 at 12:07 PM, Mortifera.6138 said:

Precisely.

Everything you just said.

I agree. We need the biggrr threats, but i also want to understand them. A growing storyline. The elder dragons we knew so far are dead. I dont want to kill the last one in 2 hours of story. No.. i want to get to know my enemy. Feel why he is a threat. Killing a chain of lesser minions to commanding minions to finally get to the big bad ugly guy. 

Primordus is dead. And i feel we missed the opportunity to hear his side of the story. In 30 min of story he'd gain a champion and thus the ability to communicate, fought his big sister and got killed. Bye bad guy. They did good with Jormag. Until champions. 

So.. smaller threats leading to the big one. Not big one into big one. 

Problem with a big threat is that it's either not going to be resolved, or, if it does, you will need an even bigger threat next time. For someone that just saved the whole world from completely unraveling any further challenge that is not on world-ending scale is just going to feel small in comparison.

Which means, that, basically, next time you'd need something that is even bigger than dragons to even feel challenged.

• Like 1