Do not show people's wings in lowest graphic settings!

In big events I put graphic settings at low, which shows a generic image of other players to reduce LAG. Otherwise I cannot play it wit so much people.

The big incongruence is that it shows the Shiny big wings with complex special effects of every player.

I'm tired to ask politely people to hide their wings during the events to avoid the LAG and they say: NO, NEVER.

I've lost participation and rewards in some events because I literally cannot attack the boss with so much lag!!!

The gemstore wings create HUGE lag, specially the vermillion wings! 

Anet disabled some special effects of attacks in the past. Please do it with the wings!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

For some reason people who spend money on cosmetics feels entitled to ruin other player's experience by tanking their framerates. It's the same type of entitlement that makes rich people think they deserve to treat others poorly.

Edited by Tzarakiel.7490
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

Not to be that guy, but I’ve never experienced the lag you described. I wasn’t aware wings caused lag. And I have my graphics on the highest settings. Maybe, it’s time to upgrade your graphics card or computer?

That said, I wouldn’t object if the developers added the feature you requested.

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I've never understood why the setting/s that affect player models don't affect backpacks, even on the lowest settings. They hide armour skins (replacing them with default modesl) but for some reason leave the backpacks. I suspect it's related to the fact that behind the scenes armour and backpacks are apparently quite different (which is why there were no dyable backpacks for a long time) but it still seems strange.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

there are a few things you can do here: set character model limit (graphic settings) to lowest. this will only render the people in your party/squad members as base models. you wont see anyone else except their name tags. to further improve this you can leave the party/squad once you're in the right instance to not render those as well. lastly i also noticed that name tag also has quite some impact on your fps. so if you go back to general options and disable "show all player names" as well, you definitely should see some improvements. 

bonus meme: UI also effects your frames. so if you can disable elements if not all of it, you will have a smoother playtime.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GWMO.4785 said:

there are a few things you can do here: set character model limit (graphic settings) to lowest. this will only render the people in your party/squad members as base models. you wont see anyone else except their name tags. to further improve this you can leave the party/squad once you're in the right instance to not render those as well. lastly i also noticed that name tag also has quite some impact on your fps. so if you go back to general options and disable "show all player names" as well, you definitely should see some improvements. 

That's how I set my game all the time. Although my computer could run that well by now.
But the fact that this is the only way to turn down all the blingbling is sad. 10€ indie games have more graphics settings than GW2 uu.

2 hours ago, Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

Not to be that guy, but I’ve never experienced the lag you described. I wasn’t aware wings caused lag. And I have my graphics on the highest settings. Maybe, it’s time to upgrade your graphics card or computer?

That said, I wouldn’t object if the developers added the feature you requested.

It started with the Vermilion wings back & glider. The backpiece can cause FPS drops, made worse if the character wearing it is a mesmer with clones out. You don't have to wear it yourself, either - other players on your screen wearing it can give you the same FPS drops.

The Incarnate Flame skyscale skin, Seraph Wings backpack, & Vermilion Blaze greatsword skins have a similar effect. And of those IIRC only other players' mount skins get hidden if you turn your character model quality to lowest.

Edited by mikansei.5742
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'm not about to get rid of my dragon wings because I roleplay my character as a dragon that had been cursed to be in human form. The character only retains a bit of the former dragon that it once was. The wings are nothing splashy though. Just black dragon wings. This character background was a concept for me long before I came back after hiatus to find out that you could have a dragon mount (skyscale). When I found out about that I made a beeline for that mount and now that I have it, I treat it like a little buddy. Although it apparently gets a bit messy when it eats. Fish guts all over the place!

On another note, I am using the incarnate flame skyscale skin so I do apologize if it is causing anyone difficulties. I really love that skin because my little buddy now looks much more interesting. I call him "Ancalagon The Mini". Thing is, I really haven't noticed any sluggishness on my system from either my skyscale or anyone else's that uses that same skin. Then again, I am running with a new system that has a 3090 card in it so that might be why I don't see a slow down.

Edited by Eraden.8740

4 hours ago, Tzarakiel.7490 said:

For some reason people who spend money on cosmetics feels entitled to ruin other player's experience by tanking their framerates. It's the same type of entitlement that makes rich people think they deserve to treat others poorly.

Or just the people who converted in game gold to gems, racked up achievements, and saved enough to buy gems....the working Tyrian, not the one percent 😉 Unfortunately some are running old potatoes or have internet issues, but frankly that limits game play on many, many newer games.  

back items, nameplates in groups, and infusions. people should be able to toggle it on and off period. it's not always about the performance issues, I personally have no frame rate problems whatsoever but sometimes I'd like to focus on animations in pvp and pve to react accordingly. this visual clutter is sabotaging it for me. if someday anet decides to pause generating QoL items for the gemstore and start focusing on the real QoL issues people are having first, then I'll be gladly continue supporting the game, not before. 

Edited by artharon.9276
  • Like 4

It's my understanding that infusions and backpacks are still visible as normal when using the generic/standardized models when set for that. This has always seemed like an oversight -- both of these should be hidden for players with the option checked / low graphics settings.

No one player is going to get a mass of players to open their UI and toggle backpieces for map events.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mikansei.5742 said:

It started with the Vermilion wings back & glider. The backpiece can cause FPS drops, made worse if the character wearing it is a mesmer with clones out. You don't have to wear it yourself, either - other players on your screen wearing it can give you the same FPS drops.

The Incarnate Flame skyscale skin, Seraph Wings backpack, & Vermilion Blaze greatsword skins have a similar effect. And of those IIRC only other players' mount skins get hidden if you turn your character model quality to lowest.

How interesting. I wasn’t aware that backpacks and their specific cosmetics shine through unfiltered even at the lowest settings. And this includes Mesmer clones? Yes, the issue makes sense now if one intended to dismiss particle effects.

Thank you. Again, I was unaware. 😦

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590

49 minutes ago, LuRkEr.9462 said:

Though it might help those with minimum settings to hide these things people need to realize that playing on minimum computer requirement gives you minimum experience. Upgrade to alittle better to enjoy the game or really most other games also.

Performance depends on the person, for some playing at barely 30 fps at 1080p is "enough". Anything under 1440p 60fps at high/max settings isn't acceptable for others. Also, especially for newer/better hardware, this game runs terribly compared to a lot of other games. And if I may add, other games that look way better, while also running better.

Although some people might have fps issues, because they play at minimum requirements, however this is also about inconsistency, not only performance. When you put character limits to lower settings, the game replaces armors with default skins. It doesn't do that with backpacks or weapons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LuRkEr.9462 said:

Though it might help those with minimum settings to hide these things people need to realize that playing on minimum computer requirement gives you minimum experience. Upgrade to a little better to enjoy the game or really most other games also.

Some people don't have the money to get better hardware.

"You can just get a better PC" is no valid excuse for Arenanet to not improve QoL, especially if it's improving the game's performance for lower end users.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Ardenwolfe , if you don't think it is a problem try playing WvW on maximum settings or in any instance over 30 people.

If it is shown even on minimum and causes people on low end systems trouble already you can imagine the amount of headache there is if you get poor framerates already.

As a stopgap measure (to original poster), I would try to use dxvk if you have a Vulkan/DX12 capable GPU from 2012 or later.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, artharon.9276 said:

back items, nameplates in groups, and infusions. people should be able to toggle it on and off period. it's not always about the performance issues, I personally have no frame rate problems whatsoever but sometimes I'd like to focus on animations in pvp and pve to react accordingly. this visual clutter is sabotaging it for me. if someday anet decides to pause generating QoL items for the gemstore and start focusing on the real QoL issues people are having first, then I'll be gladly continue supporting the game, not before. 

This is a problem in any and every multiplayer game. Only solution is to use some ranged weapon, blast enemies from afar while avoiding engaging in actual combat, which is stupid. At least some other games let you turn off effects to limit the firework show.

It makes one wonder why anet refuses to acknowledge it. It can't hurt sales that badly if people can't plaster their ugly bling on others with no way to say "no thanks". Well, i suppose you can ask them to hide it but that's an exercise in futility. Also, pointing out anything like this to people like this will probably just cause them to get exited and get up on your face specifically. You know, they say "notice me!" with all the glow, you pay attention to them in any way and they go bonkers. Better to stay silent? No, better to avoid the game entirely. It's a know fact that game companies will not do anything until it hurts their bottom line.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

This is a problem in any and every multiplayer game. Only solution is to use some ranged weapon, blast enemies from afar while avoiding engaging in actual combat, which is stupid. At least some other games let you turn off effects to limit the firework show.

It makes one wonder why anet refuses to acknowledge it. It can't hurt sales that badly if people can't plaster their ugly bling on others with no way to say "no thanks". Well, i suppose you can ask them to hide it but that's an exercise in futility. Also, pointing out anything like this to people like this will probably just cause them to get exited and get up on your face specifically. You know, they say "notice me!" with all the glow, you pay attention to them in any way and they go bonkers. Better to stay silent? No, better to avoid the game entirely. It's a know fact that game companies will not do anything until it hurts their bottom line.

As much as I hate the game and think it's a disgrace to the elder scrolls frenchise, eso has minimal visual issues. even when you play in crowds like 40 vs 40s zerging each other, it's playable. I don't think it would affect the sales too, if advertised right, it can even bump up the sales or help annoyed players to return back to gw2 or even attact classic mmo players that prefer less fireworks and more reading tooltips.

Those attention seekers you mentioned, ones that sit around the divinity's wasting precious electricity of the planet for no good reason, probably the very same people who complains in the twitter about global warming threat. They might be good for two things though but I must warn, this is only how I see things.

First, I don't know who counts the gameplay time and makes a ranking for the games in general, but for sure it's a race between the video games since steam was a thing. these display mannequins in the divinty's surely would help with gw2's amount of played time stats and makes the game look crowded.

Second, Forced engagement. This is an old practice that commerial venues like night clubs use, paying hot girls and boys to hang out inside, attracting attention for others to come in and engage. Except this time these hot in game characters pay money to stay there for hours doing nothing while others see their outfits and wings, then these people start grinding for gold or open up their wallets. either way anet wins and players like you and me quit lol

ps if I'm right, these people should be paid, they waste money for gems, electricity, computer parts and their time for advertising gw2. 

Edited by artharon.9276
  • Confused 1

I mean yeah, the option to show everyone as a default model with default armour/weapons/backpack/glider should probably exist. I probably wouldn't use it, but it makes no sense for the default model to only make armour default and not everything.

Edit: though to add, it's not really on players to turn off their wings to go and do a meta event, it's on Anet to make it playable for those with massive lag from visual clutter.

Edited by Lottie.5370
added something
  • Like 3